The History Of Final Fantasy XI.

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » The History Of Final Fantasy XI.
The History Of Final Fantasy XI.
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2018-04-15 20:34:32  
2008 - The Age of Mythical Weapons is finished!

As usual, please reply with corrections or any missing information.

If you have not yet seen this project, the main page is located here.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [118 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2018-08-11 20:16:44  
2009 - The Add-on Scenarios has just been added.

As usual, please reply with corrections or any missing information.

If you have not yet seen this project, the main page is located here.
[+]
 Bahamut.Agerine
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Agerine
By Bahamut.Agerine 2018-08-11 21:11:10  
Thank you for getting this story compiled. Its been amazing reading through all of these as they come out and just reminds me of what a crazy and fun ride XI has been all of these years and time periods<3
[+]
By Justuas 2018-08-11 23:29:37  
So the population was already declining before Abyssea, huh
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2018-08-11 23:37:05  
Bahamut.Agerine said: »
Thank you for getting this story compiled. Its been amazing reading through all of these as they come out and just reminds me of what a crazy and fun ride XI has been all of these years and time periods<3

Your very welcome. Thank you for reading!

Justuas said: »
So the population was already declining before Abyssea, huh

2009 was the beginning of the population decline due to ffxiv's impending release, as well as the lack of endgame updates that year. Not to mention the bans.
 Cerberus.Kylos
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-08-12 00:06:04  
Simply amazing. Keep up the good work Funk, it will be epic when it's finished.
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2018-08-12 11:18:19  
Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Simply amazing. Keep up the good work Funk, it will be epic when it's finished.
Thank you Kylos, will do! It seems that 2010, 2011 and 2012 will take about the same amount of time per year as it has been, but after that will be pretty fast. Ideally I'd like to get done through 2011 this year.

I think after it is caught up there will be more contributors when we can add reactions right after every update.
[+]
By Zeota 2018-08-12 15:08:34  
Good stuff! 2009 was about the time I started doing endgame in earnest. I just remember getting help for some of the fights in those add-ons was like pulling teeth if you weren't around to knock them out within the first week or so.

Hard to believe we're coming up on the 10th anniversary of the infamous "salvage bans".
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [186 days between previous and next post]
 Cua
By Cua 2019-02-15 00:03:29  
I hope this project wasn't forgotten about. I still check on it from time to time.

It was a great read.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [169 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2019-08-02 13:51:11  
Today, 2010 - The End of the Level 75 cap has been finished. If you have not yet seen this project, the main page is here on BGWiki.

I understand that this will be a more controversial release, as Abyssea meant a lot of different things to every player. I tried to include all of the views and opinions I could muster, but if you have anything you would like me to add please let me know.

As usual, please reply with corrections or any missing information too. I hope everyone continues to enjoy this ongoing project.
[+]
By Felgarr 2019-08-02 13:58:45  
This is awesome! Keep it up Funk!

Edit: Small suggestion/question. Is it possible to navigate from the 2010 page or any year-specific page ...back to the main page?
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2019-08-02 14:01:23  
Felgarr said: »
This is awesome! Keep it up Funk!

Edit: Small suggestion/question. Is it possible to navigate from the 2010 page or any year-specific page ...back to the main page?

Actually, no lol. I will edit the navigation and add that. There are links to other years within each year, however.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [344 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2020-07-11 10:25:01  
Another necro bump, another update! This time it was only 11 months instead of 12... Nevertheless, 2011 - The Beginning of Post-Abyssea has been released today.

If you have not yet seen this project, the main page is here on BGWiki. I recommend starting from the beginning if you would like to read.

As usual, please reply with corrections or any missing information that you think should be added. I hope everyone continues to enjoy this ongoing project.
[+]
 Asura.Mewwgoat
サーバ: Asura
user: mewgoat
By Asura.Mewwgoat 2020-07-11 11:26:54  
as a lover of update/patch notes, this is a god send, after playing for so long and remembering an old update and not knowing one happened later during a break to explain what changed is great.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2020-07-11 15:48:11  
Asura.Mewwgoat said: »
as a lover of update/patch notes, this is a god send, after playing for so long and remembering an old update and not knowing one happened later during a break to explain what changed is great.

This was certainly a goal of mine when I started, I was hoping to help readers remember "that one update".
 Sylph.Snk
user: SNK
By Sylph.Snk 2020-07-11 16:52:46  
Cerberus.Kylos said: »
And just in case you already read this, I found an experiment from almost a decade ago when Elmer reached out to Japanese players to find out why they didn't want to play with the NA community. It goes in to the reasoning behind them disliking players examining their characters, as well as other things I didn't know about til now. There's also some funny questions and answers to break up the tension:>> Does the JP community hate us?

I remember this interview. It was a real eye opener for a lot of things we pretty much knew but getting solid answers helped a lot.

I didn't fully dig in and check but was there any mention of the whole Parade Gorget thing? I remember some people were super secretive about the whole Goblin Drink thing and the devs finally at a fanfest gave up the mats needed to make it.
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2020-07-11 23:03:01  
Sylph.Snk said: »
I didn't fully dig in and check but was there any mention of the whole Parade Gorget thing? I remember some people were super secretive about the whole Goblin Drink thing and the devs finally at a fanfest gave up the mats needed to make it.
Sure is! Sept 22nd, 2006 during the Tokyo game show.
[+]
 Sylph.Snk
By Sylph.Snk 2020-07-12 06:49:56  
Sylph.Funkworkz said: »

Badass. Was it ever documented when the Devs trolled the ***out of people and made Byakko's level so high after an update that it raped the ***out of people who tried to kill it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jieLpVb8Gm8

Only video I know where it was caught seeing Byakko curb stomp so many people.

Also I remember one update where they borked Steam Cleaner where it wouldn't spawn anymore and thus caused the prices of Eastern Gems to skyrocket to insane levels.
 Shiva.Kasaioni
サーバ: Shiva
user: Kasaioni
By Shiva.Kasaioni 2020-07-12 07:11:04  
As someone who started the game in 2010, it's cool to see what was going on with the meta of the game and player's impressions during the time that I was just starting.
I remember being in an Abyssea linkshell at the time they added the multiple ??? points for NMs, and it still didn't help much (especially for Sobek).
[+]
 Asura.Meliorah
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2020-07-12 08:09:27  
Shiva.Kasaioni said: »
As someone who started the game in 2010, it's cool to see what was going on with the meta of the game and player's impressions during the time that I was just starting.
I remember being in an Abyssea linkshell at the time they added the multiple ??? points for NMs, and it still didn't help much (especially for Sobek).

Gukumetz, Tunga, Heqet, and I forgot the hecteye nm name but those were the gates of Abyssea and brought back a lot of claimbots to try and squash the competiton.

There were days if I saw someone I didn't like trying to 85 their Empyrean that I'd go out with my army of mules and just lock it down for a few hours and shout sell the boss to anyone but them :P made a fortune that way.
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2020-07-12 08:56:47  
I'll make sure these points you guys mentioned are clarified! Thank you for reading and I'm glad you enjoy it.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-07-12 10:04:07  

Badass. Was it ever documented when the Devs trolled the ***out of people and made Byakko's level so high after an update that it raped the ***out of people who tried to kill it?

Also I remember one update where they borked Steam Cleaner where it wouldn't spawn anymore and thus caused the prices of Eastern Gems to skyrocket to insane levels.
I'm not convinced about the Byakko thing. Looking at the damage it was doing, it doesn't seem unusual for how it normally fought back then.
 Sylph.Snk
By Sylph.Snk 2020-07-12 10:09:45  
Asura.Geriond said: »

I'm not convinced about the Byakko thing. Looking at the damage it was doing, it doesn't seem unusual for how it normally fought back then.

It really did happen. People from around that period can probably confirm this for who else is even still around anymore.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-07-12 10:15:38  

It really did happen. People from around that period can probably confirm this for who else is even still around anymore.
I was around that time, and I don't remember any weird Byakkos, nor anyone talking about them on forums or in-game.

And again, the damage shown in that vid is not unusual for Byakko at 75 cap. it looks more like they just screwed up and let a tank die after getting very unlucky on triple attacks, which then inevitably led to a downward spiral.
 Sylph.Snk
By Sylph.Snk 2020-07-12 13:07:54  

I was around that time, and I don't remember any weird Byakkos, nor anyone talking about them on forums or in-game.

And again, the damage shown in that vid is not unusual for Byakko at 75 cap. it looks more like they just screwed up and let a tank die after getting very unlucky on triple attacks, which then inevitably led to a downward spiral.

You'd think but yeah I was around at the time also and yes something was really off with Byakko. There was an emergency maintenance not soon after and things were normal again.

I wish I could remember when they broke Steam Cleaner's spawning conditions.
By axetofall 2020-07-15 01:38:40  
Feb. 26th, 2004

Playonline Plus services officially launched. The Friend's List Plus features were free. The fee was 300 Yen/mo ($3/mo) for a character name email address xxx@yyy.ffxi.pol.com (Here, "xxx" represented the name of your character and "yyy" represented the name of your World.) Email forwarding from your primary @pol.com email to a personal email elsewere for 100 Yen/mo ($1/mo). Email filtering was free of charge. This service ended on December 31st, 2010, and now the service only offers the free Friend's List Plus feature.

Although compared to today's standards, email in 2004 was a big deal. There were not many email providers that were any good, imposing very low storage space allocations. Because of that, many people paid for these email services. Playonline Plus Beta participants were able

haha wow
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [359 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2021-07-08 16:23:21  
Another year has passed. This means I just released 2012! I also revamped the main page of the project, as well as the navigation menus. Like before, if you have not yet seen or read this project please begin at the main page here, I recommend starting from the beginning.

Usual disclaimer: If anything seems wrong or missing please let me know. If you have opinions or reactions to events you believe should be included, also let me know.

I never intended to be still working on this in July of 2021, and it is crazy to think I started in 2017... Somehow I am also ending up with each consecutive year being more words than the last.

Future plans
  • Looking ahead, I plan on revisiting the beta era section and expand it considerably. This will be before I begin 2013.

• Now that SE has decided to release their own quasi version of FFXI's history, I am going to keep an eye on that and include anything they release. Notably I like the Matsui and Fujito's perspective blips. I will also make sure to add anything they have that I might have missed.

• Lastly, I watched Eijin read through a few years on stream. This made me realize the formatting I have is not ideal (two columns). After releasing 2013, 2014, and (perhaps) 2015, I want to reformat the entire project to be more mobile friendly and modern. I do like the twitter links SE added to their "Remembering Vana'diel". That gives me a few ideas.

[+]
By Rips 2021-07-08 16:29:00  
Thanks Funk! These are awesome!
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2021-07-09 06:11:08  
Your welcome, thank you for reading!