So... Is Guildwork Dead?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » So... is Guildwork dead?
So... is Guildwork dead?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-10 06:14:21  
Felgarr said: »
Asura.Eiryl said: »
There's nothing stopping anyone from doing that now. Nothing needs to happen with guildwork just phase it out.

Uh. Yes there is. It would need to be a priority for Rooks and Scragg. Otherwise, why write code for which there is no receiving endpoint?

Guildwork doesn't have to be gone before someone can take initiative is all. A new tracker can be built into windower regardless of GW condition.
By Felgarr 2020-04-10 06:24:06  
There's nothing stopping anyone from doing that now. Nothing needs to happen with guildwork just phase it out.

Uh. Yes there is. It would need to be a priority for Rooks and Scragg. Otherwise, why write code for which there is no receiving endpoint?

Guildwork doesn't have to be gone before someone can take initiative is all. A new tracker can be built into windower regardless of GW condition.

Respectfully, that's just not how it's done. Without a place to HTTP POST the data, why would someone invest the time or effort? I guess they could just dump your char's data to a text file and it'd sit there forever...until someone on the receiving end decides this is a priority and gives you a place to share your character data. (I'm sure folks like Thorny have offered in the past, but without a receiving end to replace GW, ideally like part of the FFXIAH API). I don't think a webservice owned by the windower team would be great either, as that would just act as a middle-man, just like GW is today. (GW-Lite?)
By Mattelot 2020-04-10 06:43:25  
You surely do not want people who have tarnished their own name to take over your work for you.

Also, bottom line, does it add real value outside of showing off?
 Asura.Carrotchan
Leonardo da Clippi
By Asura.Carrotchan 2020-04-10 06:52:55  
tokenr said: »
I also thought it was dead long ago...

until April 8th 2020 when I received an email "Guildwork Payment Receipt"...!!!
Seriously they keep the payment system on while the site is down...
Have your credit card company issue a charge back and state that you were billed for a service that is no longer running, I remember awhile ago that the GW site was down and people couldn't even cancel their GW premium, I guess that is still going on
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-04-10 06:59:12  
Mattelot said: »
You surely do not want people who have tarnished their own name to take over your work for you.

Only addressing the 2nd comment- isn't that in a sense what all online gaming is about in general? We played games solo at home for years, but it was always more fun to invite friends over and beat their *** in Mortal Kombat or Mario Kart or Madden. Then came the tech that allowed the leap to not just invite 2 or 3 friends over for that N64 or XBox, but play with thousands.

If not to enjoy that moment of either bragging rights or beating other humans, why do such things? Wouldn't the old adage of "playing against the computer" be enough if we didn't desire to lord our accomplishments over others, even if we only ever self-compare against those others and never are praised?

GW was incredibly important for that purpose. Again, if nothing else it was good self-motivation to see your accomplishments against others'. Sometimes just grouping people in a list creates a bond through comparing that progress in something we all love.
[+]
By Felgarr 2020-04-10 07:11:46  
Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »

Only addressing the 2nd comment- isn't that in a sense what all online gaming is about in general? We played games solo at home for years, but it was always more fun to invite friends over and beat their *** in Mortal Kombat or Mario Kart or Madden. Then came the tech that allowed the leap to not just invite 2 or 3 friends over for that N64 or XBox, but play with thousands.

If not to enjoy that moment of either bragging rights or beating other humans, why do such things? Wouldn't the old adage of "playing against the computer" be enough if we didn't desire to lord our accomplishments over others, even if we only ever self-compare against those others and never are praised?

GW was incredibly important for that purpose. Again, if nothing else it was good self-motivation to see your accomplishments against others'. Sometimes just grouping people in a list creates a bond through comparing that progress in something we all love.

I don't know who Matterlot is referring too either.

Anyway, to the second comment, I love reading and getting updated on other people's progress. That's what helps to keep me motivated.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Thorny
サーバ: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-04-10 11:34:00  
Regardless of how you personally feel about me, I've added more to the FFXI community in any given month than you have in the entire time you've been playing. Don't worry, I already rescinded my offer to write a replacement for guildwork's side of FFXIAH after it was made clear that nobody with the power to allow it gave a ***.

Quote:
There's a reason every modern game has web-viewable profiles. People like them. Yea, it's pure vanity, but that doesn't mean it can't help the game feel more modern and last longer. As a player, shouldn't be hard to understand, even if you personally don't like them.
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-04-10 12:03:31  
Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »

I guess it all depends on whats important to you. I get there are "accomplishments" but often (and not just in this game) people accept ones they never really "earned."
I don't know who Matterlot is referring too either.

Anyway, to the second comment, I love reading and getting updated on other people's progress. That's what helps to keep me motivated.

Nobody in particular. How does what other people are doing motivate you? Wouldn't accomplishing something... and I mean really accomplishing something motivate you?

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Regardless of how you personally feel about me, I've added more to the FFXI community in any given month than you have in the entire time you've been playing. Don't worry, I already rescinded my offer to write a replacement for guildwork's side of FFXIAH after it was made clear that nobody with the power to allow it gave a ***.

Who said anything about feelings about you?

And I guess congrats on your supposed accomplishments over me. I'm sure Bards will be singing tales of your feats for ages to come.

Shiva.Thorny said: »
There's a reason every modern game has web-viewable profiles. People like them. Yea, it's pure vanity, but that doesn't mean it can't help the game feel more modern and last longer. As a player, shouldn't be hard to understand, even if you personally don't like them.

Many of those things existed from the very start or very shortly after they started. This concept did not start from the beginning of this game. It's the same sense of those who played old school games. The closest thing to those were the magazines where people would take pictures of their "accomplishments" and have them put in a magazine where nobody ever cared but them. And many were created by company choice, not because people wanted them. I remember when trophies were created for PS. Most people complained because nobody wanted it.

I'm not knocking anyone for enjoying it. I'm only saying that if it dies off, nothing would change. Yeah, there are a lot of insecure gamers out there who need any pat on the back they can get to keep them going.
By Shichishito 2020-04-10 12:13:15  
who needs guild work if they have a printer and their moms a fridge?
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-04-10 12:14:13  
Shichishito said: »
who needs guild work if they have a printer and their moms a fridge?

That's true... At least then, somebody will say "I'm so proud of you!"
By sumo 2020-04-10 12:37:35  
It may not be the popular response, but I personally like the idea of the ranking/achievement system. It kept me motivated during my prime time playing years and while I never racked up a ton of points, it was still fun for me to see where I stood vs friends that I played with. I'd love for it to make a comeback in some fashion.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-04-10 13:43:35  
I mean it's largely just a wealth meter.

Spent the most gil, you're number one, hurray.
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-04-10 20:04:14  
yeah, first they beg for e-peen contest and then everyone shows up with a strapon...
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-04-10 20:34:34  
Hmm I liked it for tracking stuff, not so much for the ranking but for the list of "things to do".
[+]
By Draylo 2020-04-10 20:49:06  
Why fault people who like a trophy system? They are active in almost all games these days and it creates replay and furthers the life of the game itself. As an example, I remember beating some games like RE remake, and the only reason I kept playing was because they had achievements for x thing. It increased the lifespan of the game for me. Maybe some people feel the same about the achievements here, I feel a lot of people just get jealous but let them enjoy themselves.
By Mattelot 2020-04-10 21:12:44  
I don't think anyone is really faulting others for liking it. To each is their own. I know many who feel that trophies (for consoles mostly) falsely expand the life of games. Most are meaningless tasks. I personally play to have fun. Systems like that make many forget this. It's one reason I enjoy Nintendo. You play the games for fun.

I think it's those who use them to brag or attempt to degrade others to inflate a false ego that cause the animosity.
By Draylo 2020-04-10 21:17:22  
I feel the opposite and funny enough its one of the reasons I prefer to buy on PSN for ps4 instead of the same game on Nintendo. I like having the achievement system because it can be fun to tick off random things and have a list that you can complete and then later look at all the games and see progress. A lot of people like that type of system and it doesn't "falsely" expand the games life because if you're playing the game longer for any reason at all, it is actually increasing the games lifespan lol.
By Mattelot 2020-04-10 21:31:18  
As I said, to each is his own. I prefer actual content versus pointless tasks. I’m sure some prefer less content and more checklists. It’s not a bad thing. I think the points made are that there are “those guys” who use it to degrade others. It used to be a problem in WoW but those people are laughed at now.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2020-04-10 22:01:06  
I think the points made are that there are “those guys” who use it to degrade others.

My rank 9 tells me I'm better than your 81. Git ***' gud. I look at that and see I'm top 10 on Bis and flex my *** all day.
By Jetackuu 2020-04-10 22:46:20  
tokenr said: »
I also thought it was dead long ago...

until April 8th 2020 when I received an email "Guildwork Payment Receipt"...!!!
Seriously they keep the payment system on while the site is down...

The site isn't down, and there are multiple ways to discontinue payment. But thanks for a chuckle.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7