users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 49 50 51 ... 141 142 143
By Afania 2019-02-02 14:46:49  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Afania said: »
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
why are some specific people so against multi-function jobs in ffxi? Job Balance? In a game with dwindling populations, the ability for a job to be able to do two functions (say buff and DD, buff and heal, tank and DD to name a few) will only become more important...and eventually, necessary. SE is introducing tons of DD gear for BRD. They have pumped up RUN's DD ability while tanking. What's wrong with extending this to a RDM? Would it be a huge game-breaking moment if WHM was able to DD while healing, or if THFs were given unique enfeebling bolts to add to the already existing arsenal? Just ideas to keep this game going longer than it probably should in my book.

Again, its your opinions on what is fun, not everyones. Some of the newer mmo seems to move toward more of "everyone is a dd and they can heal" design like gw2. And personally I find that makes the game less interesting. In eq era it wasnt like that.

I was never a big fan of brd being more and more DD lol. I just use it to take advantage of it, it doesnt mean I think its an fun direction change. I played brd in 14(it is real dd in 14) and it was extremely boring because its TOO dd for me.

In fact, even on cor I enjoy the job more when /whm was an option. These days cor/whm isnt even an option because the job is so damn dd oriented. We are forced to play cor as pure dd because se make cor more dd than ever before, so support oriented playstyle is no longer optimal. And now you guys are trying to make rdm get the same change and force all rdm player to play rdm as dd? Geez. Taking away other peoples fun.

What I dont understand is, if you seriously enjoy playing a mmo that everyone is a dd that can heal and support, why do you feel like staying in ffxi and demanding se to change the design for your taste, which take away what other people enjoys?

And worse yet, when I talked about my opinion that Im against changes because I love current ffxi, Im attacked with statements like "double standard". We are just arguing personal preference here.

its not my opinion, its the results of what SE is putting right in front of us.

If SE truly want rdm to be played like another blu, then so be it. Ill just have to use swords way more often.

Although I probably wont enjoy the job NEARLY as much as it is now if it goes that way. Rdm is my favorite job in game, and entire ff franchise too. I enjoy the freedom of not being "locked" into certain role, such as frontline melee. If I want to be a melee mage theres always blu available.

Truth to be told, I really dislike the fact that cor got locked into dd these days. We dont even have the choice to play cor as pure support anymore. I prefer a rdm buff for mage/support or even heal aspect of the job more than a trait that force the job to play as dd majority of time.
 Phoenix.Iocus
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2019-02-02 20:44:59  
Then go play BLU when you want to play a melee mage. The rest of us whose favorite job is RDM are going to play RDM as a melee because it is a melee AND a support.

My Murg is rank 15 and my +2 neck is rank 25 and I went the entire way through dyna d unlocks on my RDM, in the tank party, as a support. Refreshing tanks and the main WHM was more important than worrying about my parse. I got to enfeeble and buff to my heart's content. Being a versitile job means knowing where you can do the most good. Even with the dreaded dw3 buff that you're hilariously against, I'd still want to be in the tank party because I'd be more useful there in harder content.

If it makes sense for me to be in a party that gets offensive buffs, then I'm going to contribute by pounding the ***out of the mob with 33% triple attack that I pull out of thin air. My current tp set is 87 store tp and if wave 2 bastok boss ever drops the body, it'll be 97 store tp. RDM is a suprising beast of a DD already against anything BUT the hardest content where accuracy starts eating into your tp set AT WHICH you really have to ask yourself if being a DD is really the smartest choice (it's probably not). Luckily you have a niche support kit that is probably still useful and thus RDM is an awesome job, finally, after 15 years of playing.

Idc if we get dw personally. The only thing that it addresses is how dependant RDM is on it's sub job. I would take 10% job ability haste while wearing a shield from a buff to shield mastery over dw because it would address how crappy your damage becomes when we are /SCH, /BLM, .....or /WHM....for Stona.....
You want to do more damage? /DNC or /NIN.
You want to single wield because Crocea Mors is main hand only and you want a mage sub? Awesome, you're still contributing if you need to. Be all the RDM you can be should the opportunity present itself.

We are getting 2 different adjustments, the first being abilities should focus mostly on being a mage and some on being a DD without a DD sub. Then later when we get the adjustment to spells, it should mostly focus on being a support and maybe an adjustment to enspell 2s damage or something to buff attack/accuracy. Any adjustments to RDMs damage dealing abilities should be enspell/temper related or resulting from a buff or debuff that party members can also benefit from in case it's not a good idea for you to be on the front line, being another nuisance to your WHM's sanity and MP.

My personal hope for spell adjustments is that Innundation gets a component that lowers the nuke wall like Rayke does. I generally feel bad that i can't support a nuking strat better as a mage/support. Frazzle is good, but it's nothing that can't be overshadowed by a GEO or COR.
[+]
By Afania 2019-02-02 21:04:35  
Phoenix.Iocus said: »
Then go play BLU when you want to play a melee mage. The rest of us whose favorite job is RDM are going to play RDM as a melee because it is a melee AND a support.

Are you replying to me? Because if you read what Ive wrote you would know that you read my point completely wrong lol. If you want to reply to people, at least read through the whole post, not just 1 sentence out of many posts. I specifically said I prefer rdm to be a melee AND support, not melee like blu.

My point is that if rdm gets native dw3(not just dw1), community will force rdm to be a melee because that becomes the optimal playstyle of the job. And thats changing the nature of this job, and I dont want changes, I like the way it is now. The dps is good enough /nin as it is and getting the same dps /blm and /whm is not necessary.

I have no idea why you people keep reading my points wrong lol. "I prefer game stay the way they are because I like them" is a simple concept and not hard to unederstand.
 Asura.Saevel
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2019-02-02 21:16:31  
Against really hard content RDM's buffs and debuffs are far more useful then it's damage, there are specialized jobs better suited for that. Against easier stuff RDM (normal) makes a mediocre melee. If they have a Croc and appropriate buffs / debuffs, then they can be a pretty damn strong melee.

DW3 for RDM or Fencer to have JA haste, then put RDM on the light DD gear instead of on random stuff.
[+]
By androwe 2019-02-03 06:12:22  
I have no idea why you people keep reading my points wrong lol. "I prefer game stay the way they are because I like them" is a simple concept and not hard to unederstand.

Maybe the common problem is you communicate poorly instead of 'you people keep reading my points wrong'

If lots of people aren't understanding your points, maybe you're framing them wrong, aren't staying on topic well, or not being concise enough.

As far as RDM being a full DD and abandoning their support role, that's not going to happen. RDMs are tough, but they aren't expendable like regular DDs. Once a RDM falls down, weakness times make them completely terrible at getting back up and dealing damage again. You have to recast at least 3 spells to be back in the fight + composure (haste 2, temper 2, gain str/dex), and you should really cast 4 more (phalanx, refresh 3, pro and shell) or you're just going to fall back down again.

Weakened MP is bad for Convert, which you'll need soon since you just threw 7 buffs on yourself from half MP. Also Composure is 5 minutes, so if it's going to be an up and down fight, you're going to be missing the accuracy it provides.

Compare that to a regular DD where they get arised, i haste them, and they can immediately go back into the fight. Pro and shell if the whm is busy. That's the obvious reason why your fears of bandwagon RDM DD onry are not being taken seriously. DW or any other buff would not change the fact that RDMs don't like falling down because it breaks their MP management and their time management for buffing others and being effective as a DD themselves.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2019-02-03 07:06:03  
Being weakened and losing buffs is kind of a big deal for all melee DDs.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Makonnen
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Numbahz
By Carbuncle.Makonnen 2019-02-03 10:47:39  
R.I.P. Another good thread... I remember when this thread used to have great, non filtered context. It was easy to view a few posts and have a general feel for whats going on. This stuff you guys bicker back and fourth about is really non-sense. Keep the job-spec forum pages, clean and a good-go source for all players. I have been using this Guide and some others like it for relevant info to help get myself in the generally right direction.
This is off-track to its purpose, entirely...

Please... Just post relevant info that is resourceful to players for RDM Guide in this forum.

Thank you,
[+]
By androwe 2019-02-03 19:17:49  
Siren.Kyte said: »
Being weakened and losing buffs is kind of a big deal for all melee DDs.

Yeah but it's a bigger deal if the person who is putting your buffs back on is slowed down by recast and mp issues. Get your Haste, Pro, and Shell and get back in there.
By androwe 2019-02-03 20:46:29  
androwe said: »

Maybe the common problem is you communicate poorly instead of 'you people keep reading my points wrong'

If lots of people aren't understanding your points, maybe you're framing them wrong, aren't staying on topic well, or not being concise enough.

My point is very clear right from the 1st post, and cele clearly got it. it got off topic simply because personal jabs from Byrne, and the fact that you skip the posts. You even admit you didn't read in one of your post, so why do you reply if you didn't read?

Your argument is scenerio based(DD dying for whatever reason). When we discuss optimal playstyle for a Job, we normally assume the setup and scenerio are all optimal. DDs dying isn't an optimal scenerio.

It's a forum, you post. I post. I don't nned a justification for doing anything, just like you don't.

If your character dying isn't a consideration then your DDs aren't being accessed for their toughness and ability to deal with the fight that you're actually looking at. THF is an amazing dps, but if it's a fight with heavy aoe magic it's not a good choice. RUN/DRK doesn't top the charts the same way but I'd take them over a THF in the same scenerio.

RDM is always going to have extra liability to weight against whatever it's potential 'optimal playstyle' is because weakness is part of the game for melee. Since it has support as well, you're always going to sacrifice your own personal dps for an overall increase in group performance if you aren't a fool. That is the optimal playstyle of a RDM. Haste rotations, refreshing, debuffing, and emergency curing are going to heavily undermine your ideal dps, but those are the reality and that is why people bring RDM to a party.
By Afania 2019-02-03 21:39:08  
Cerberus.Tacothecat said: »
Afania, for the love of God, shut up and let it go already.

I already let it go and settled things with certain people in PM a day ago, lol.
 Cerberus.Tacothecat
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Tacothecat 2019-02-03 21:41:47  
You don't know how to let it go. If you did you would have quit posting replies long ago.
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2019-02-04 00:09:58  
Ragnarok.Rydal said: »
please let this page the thread.
Why Regal Earring, without any reforge artifact in the set?
EDIT: Isn't Raetic staff a bad pick for such an expensive spell?
By androwe 2019-02-04 14:55:00  
Chimerawizard said: »

You're correct. You really only want to worry about m.acc so the stat down lasts longer or recast/conserve mp. I opt for macc personally. The spell doesn't really do damage vs it's mp cost.

Griv, ambu grip, regal gem, and gwati earring (if you want to afford the inventory). Most of the time you're using af body when going for m.acc, so it's probably left over from that. I'm love them to let us take twilight cloak to kupofried and learn it permanently.

You can do Murg with omen shield or su5 sword if you have it as well, but none of that is required for this and hardly adds benefit vs the cost of the items.

The only other real use of the spell is for occult accumen builds and i dont think its worth it on RDM.
 Cerberus.Tacothecat
By Cerberus.Tacothecat 2019-02-04 15:09:04  
rdm isn't on ambu grip
 Phoenix.Iocus
By Phoenix.Iocus 2019-02-04 15:33:26  
Omg that makes my day! Well looks like Murgleis being r15 was the right choice for sure. I've always been anti-staff for myself but i dont care if others use them.
 Phoenix.Dynakros
user: Dynakros
By Phoenix.Dynakros 2019-02-08 00:46:55  
Did a quick test with the new Composure effect to enspells. Damage went from 99 to 297, so at a quick glance it seems to triple enspell damage. No idea if it's calculated before or after Crocea Mors' +500% enspell damage.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-02-08 00:48:06  
Wow

Neat

In no way game changing but very cool
 Phoenix.Skyfire
user: nightkidz
By Phoenix.Skyfire 2019-02-08 00:52:01  
What were the numbers of en-spell II before the update? With the +400% mines capping at +1057 addition effect now.

Edit+ with some skill and +enspell dmg can push to 1500ish
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
By Phoenix.Iocus 2019-02-08 01:04:18  
I'm really hoping the Kaja bow means easy self Innundation procs for RDM! I'm way too excited about this!
By Ruaumoko 2019-02-08 01:21:32  
Confirming that Composure triples Enspell damage.

115 Enfire on Agitated Chapuli without Composure.
345 Enfire with Composure.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tacothecat
By Cerberus.Tacothecat 2019-02-08 01:39:23  
Phoenix.Skyfire said: »
What were the numbers of en-spell II before the update? With the +400% mines capping at +1057 addition effect now.

Edit+ with some skill and +enspell dmg can push to 1500ish

I don't have Crocea Mors, but the way I read it, that is enpsell + 500% for a total of x6 enspell, correct?

So originally we had roughly 100 dmg enspell give or take a few, with +500% sword it was giving some people 600 dmg enspell.

Given that, wouldn't the composure x3 augment put enspell closer to 1800 dmg now?
By Ruaumoko 2019-02-08 01:42:02  
The effect seems additive rather than multiplicative.

Composure's damage bonus is tacked onto the % increase from the Crocea it looks like.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tacothecat
By Cerberus.Tacothecat 2019-02-08 01:42:51  
As much of a bummer that is, it is still extremely powerful
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-02-08 01:43:39  
Then composure is just +200%

+700% is still pretty wild
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2019-02-08 06:49:58  
androwe said: »
Chimerawizard said: »

You're correct. You really only want to worry about m.acc so the stat down lasts longer or recast/conserve mp. I opt for macc personally. The spell doesn't really do damage vs it's mp cost.

Griv, ambu grip, regal gem, and gwati earring (if you want to afford the inventory). Most of the time you're using af body when going for m.acc, so it's probably left over from that. I'm love them to let us take twilight cloak to kupofried and learn it permanently.

You can do Murg with omen shield or su5 sword if you have it as well, but none of that is required for this and hardly adds benefit vs the cost of the items.

The only other real use of the spell is for occult accumen builds and i dont think its worth it on RDM.

It's actually a bit of a pet-peeve of mine when people completely dismiss the value of Impact. It's 20% stat down, and on the Dyna Wave 3 bosses as an example, it can be maintained full time.
(Not to say that's what you're doing, just saying. It was missing from the guide entirely which is why I included it)

The earring is indeed better replaced with pure m.acc, as for the staff, it is going to be the best option for most people given that it is significantly cheaper than Crocea or Murgleis. That said, if you do have them, your priorities change, but I don't expect that someone that has one of those weapons wouldn't already know that sort of thing, which is why it's not mentioned,

Didn't think it needed saying.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 49 50 51 ... 141 142 143