Monothiesm And The 3 Abrahamic Faiths

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Monothiesm and the 3 Abrahamic Faiths
Monothiesm and the 3 Abrahamic Faiths
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
By fonewear 2016-07-01 09:21:52  
I'm glad that this thread focuses on the 3 religions cause we sure as hell don't discussion religion in the P n R thread almost never.
By fonewear 2016-07-01 09:23:05  
I've recently been reading more about Islam seeing as ISIS is in the news almost every day. Granted ISIS doesn't necessarily represent Islam however they are still killing in the name of. So at the very least I'd like to be open to learning about their religion.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-01 09:24:34  
Ramyrez said: »
claiming to know anything absolutely
That's not a religious aspect.

People have been claiming to know everything or anything absolutely for years. The only thing you can "absolutely" know is what is considered law/regulations and simple math (which in of itself a regulation, if you think about it objectively).

2+2 will always equals 4.
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-07-01 09:28:00  
Cerberus.Tidis said: »
I don't quite understand how anyone can be a gnostic theist, but then I am speaking from the opposite side as an agnostic atheist. My opinion on any theistic religion is that it is most likely fictional but I won't outright say it is as there is no evidence either way, for me deities are as real as unicorns.

The reason I don't understand gnostic theism is that it is entirely illogical, that would be beyond faith that God or gods exist, it's outright saying "I know there is a God" despite there being no evidence for such a claim so doesn't that throw the gnosticism out the window?

When someone thinks that there can't be evidence of the existence of deity, that's basically a cut-off switch for any chance of open-minded discussion and starts to cross the line into gnostic atheism. It isn't that faith-based belief is structured so that people can't ever have access to evidence or even proof, it's that such evidence is granted on a personal level that cannot be publicized as scientific proof.

Opponents of this mindset like to say "
how convenient
". Of course it's convenient. It was designed that way. It's the only way that makes any sense. I understand where the complaint comes from, but to me that's like saying, "The merry-go-round can only go in a circle?
How convenient
."
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-01 09:32:37  
Religion is a great way to teach people (especially those at a young age) the morals of society.

Something that I believe a lot of people lack or misinterpret.

Other than that, I don't care what you believe in, you can believe in the Great Spaghetti Monster and it's everloving quest to take down the Federal Reserve, praise be to the Monster, but don't push it on other people or harm people in the name of your religion....
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-07-01 09:40:19  
fonewear said: »
I've recently been reading more about Islam seeing as ISIS is in the news almost every day. Granted ISIS doesn't necessarily represent Islam however they are still killing in the name of. So at the very least I'd like to be open to learning about their religion.

The faith itself, much like Christianity, has inspired a lot of beauty. I would truly love to visit some of the places in the world built on the history of Islamic tradition. Take Iran. It's a beautiful place.

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
That's not a religious aspect.

Didn't say it was. Point of fact, in this instance I was criticizing atheists who claim to know there is no supreme being at all as much as gnostics who claim that there definitively is.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-07-01 09:43:11  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I don't quite understand how anyone can be a gnostic theist, but then I am speaking from the opposite side as an agnostic atheist. My opinion on any theistic religion is that it is most likely fictional but I won't outright say it is as there is no evidence either way, for me deities are as real as unicorns.

The reason I don't understand gnostic theism is that it is entirely illogical, that would be beyond faith that God or gods exist, it's outright saying "I know there is a God" despite there being no evidence for such a claim so doesn't that throw the gnosticism out the window?

When someone thinks that there can't be evidence of the existence of deity, that's basically a cut-off switch for any chance of open-minded discussion and starts to cross the line into gnostic atheism. It isn't that faith-based belief is structured so that people can't ever have access to evidence or even proof, it's that such evidence is granted on a personal level that cannot be publicized as scientific proof.

Opponents of this mindset like to say "
how convenient
". Of course it's convenient. It was designed that way. It's the only way that makes any sense. I understand where the complaint comes from, but to me that's like saying, "The merry-go-round can only go in a circle?
How convenient
."

I mean, I'm not trying to start an argument of basic "yes it is, no it isn't," but...

How can something be presented as proof if it, in fact, cannot be verified as legitimate and accurate? You're not wrong in your assessment of the "convenience" argument, but...it's just so very difficult for some of us to accept things that can't be scientifically proven.

Which is fine. We're allowed to have different beliefs.

Again, it's just when we allow those religious beliefs to hold sway over people who don't share those beliefs that we begin to have very serious problems.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-07-01 09:45:25  
I often try to stay very far away from conversations about religion because everyone gets so *** angry so easily(and I'm not the most patient person either).

For once I just don't have anything to say to anyone who injects traits of humanity into their god. I will have no constructive discussion with them because there is nothing for me to build on.
I have no problem leaving alone those with faith, I gain nothing from taking anything down from them. Prayer makes you feel good? I'm glad for you.
But if you willingly enter a philosophical debate then you have to at least bring to the table a solid basis to start from. And an anthropocentric view is not one. I would hope the local thinkers here understand this concept.

But bible-wielders can only have productive conversations amongst each other. If you get what I mean.
By Ramyrez 2016-07-01 09:47:40  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
But bible-wielders can only have productive conversations amongst each other. If you get what I mean.

Perhaps, but you have to acknowledge that there's a difference between people who are Christian who are willing to discuss religion beyond their own beliefs and people who will (maybe literally, if you're not careful) beat you over the head with a Bible and religious dogma.

I've had many enlightening conversations with my brother-in-law who -- as we've previously established -- is a Southern Methodist minister.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-07-01 09:50:23  
It could be worse we could be arguing over which anime is the one true anime...
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-07-01 09:50:37  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »

Perhaps, but you have to acknowledge that there's a difference between people who are Christian who are willing to discuss religion beyond their own beliefs and people who will (maybe literally, if you're not careful) beat you over the head with a Bible and religious dogma.

I've had many enlightening conversations with my brother-in-law who -- as we've previously established -- is a Southern Methodist minister.
Discussing the metaphysical can be engaging and productive for everyone, because you learn new things as you discuss them(even from within yourself).

But discussing this "unmovable and consolidated faith" doesn't lead anywhere for anyone who is not at least partly involved with said religion.
By fonewear 2016-07-01 09:53:19  
This is a discussion of religion not of faith. Faith is something you do own your own not on a video game forum.
By fonewear 2016-07-01 09:54:23  
Edit on *
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2016-07-01 11:25:45  
Religion is a great way to teach people (especially those at a young age) the morals of society.
Being a decent parent does this fine. Getting educated and learning critical thinking will secure that further. You don't need to believe in something supernatural. Religion comes with too much other baggage and then you end up with people claiming that holy books tell us what morality is when these books advocate slavery. It's insane.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-01 12:03:19  
Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Being a decent parent does this fine.
Sure, if either parent has a good set of morals to begin with.

What happens when they don't? Isn't that just furthering the problem with misinterpreted morals?

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Getting educated and learning critical thinking will secure that further.
As long as you agree with that form of education, right?

What happens if the education the child receives is different than the one you agree with? Creationism vs. Evolution is a great example of this.

I'm not saying that religion is the answer, I am saying it's a great source to teach morals. You know, the difference between right and wrong, don't steal/kill, that type of stuff.

If you really want to take religion out of it, then read fairy tales to the kids. Most of them have the same social teachings as religion does.

But don't dismiss the good of something because you absolutely hate it.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2016-07-01 12:22:10  
But the bible isn't good, it's full of evil, murder, rape and genocide, it's over 2000 years old and is still seen as a source of morality because there is a handful of good stories in there that are cherry picked out while the wades of absolute atrocities are glossed over.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-01 12:25:57  
But the bible isn't good, it's full of evil, murder, rape and genocide, it's over 2000 years old and is still seen as a source of morality because there is a handful of good stories in there that are cherry picked out while the wades of absolute atrocities are glossed over.
So is the entire human history.

Should we all wallow in self-doubt because human history is made up of well over 2000 years of evil/murder/rape/genocide? Or should we learn from those evils and strive to not commit them?
By Ramyrez 2016-07-01 12:28:58  
I think you could raise children to be good people without the use of any religious indoctrination. At the heart of them, they're just stories, whether you consider them true or allegory.

I don't really agree with letting children believe in being you consider to be fictitious, be it Jesus, the Easter Bunny, or Santa Claus.

(Yes, Santa Claus isn't real. Sorry for anyone still holding out.)
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-07-01 12:40:16  

Reported for blasphemy.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-07-01 12:49:20  

Reported for blasphemy.

Harry Potter is overrated.

The Clash was a bunch of posers.

I liked the original ending of Mass Effect 3.

The Star Wars prequels aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-07-01 12:51:48  

Reported for blasphemy.

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-07-01 13:06:45  

Reported for blasphemy.

Solo shot first!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-07-01 13:15:09  

Reported for blasphemy.

Solo shot first!

He did.

But I didn't say anything about Lucas' "tweeking" of the original series.

Just that the prequels weren't as bad as people make them out to be.
By fonewear 2016-07-01 13:47:06  

Just no. What as your lack of religion done for society ? I'll wait for all the wonderful things Atheism has done to better society.
By fonewear 2016-07-01 13:48:48  
Edit has *
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2016-07-01 16:12:01  
Sure, if either parent has a good set of morals to begin with.

What happens when they don't? Isn't that just furthering the problem with misinterpreted morals?
If they don't, religion isn't going to magically swoop down from on high and make everything better. With any luck, general interaction with others in school and work will usually mold people in to better versions of themselves despite morally questionable parents but it's no guarantee.

As long as you agree with that form of education, right?

What happens if the education the child receives is different than the one you agree with? Creationism vs. Evolution is a great example of this.

I'm not saying that religion is the answer, I am saying it's a great source to teach morals. You know, the difference between right and wrong, don't steal/kill, that type of stuff.

If you really want to take religion out of it, then read fairy tales to the kids. Most of them have the same social teachings as religion does.

But don't dismiss the good of something because you absolutely hate it.

A good education is one that teaches people how to think, not what to think.
[+]
 Siren.Lordgrim
サーバ: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-07-02 20:03:06  
Too many characters.
 Siren.Lordgrim
サーバ: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-07-02 20:09:58  
Link below for the information about the Religion of Peace known as Islam. It lists all the attacks of Islam in the year 2015. It's quite long which is the reason the post says too many characters. A question that needs answered by the vast majority of moslems is why they don't do more to stop the radicalization of their youth.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/attacks/attacks.aspx?Yr=2015
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2016-07-02 20:27:42  
fonewear said: »
I'm lucky in that I have other people to pick out the horrific bible quotes and there are plenty of them.

This is one example: http://www.evilbible.com/evil-bible-home-page/murder-in-the-bible/

Loads of examples.

Either you accept all of the bible as your source of morality, or you create your own morality and just give the bible unjust credit for it.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2016-07-02 20:28:02  
*** quote fail and lack of edit option.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9