フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » The Great Debate 2
The Great Debate 2
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 8 9 10
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2009-09-06 23:16:16  
Yakutatazu said:
Your sexuality has nothing to do with your ability to raise a child.

This^ I'm straight and christian, yet I'm cool w/ gays doing whatever they want. I could see two gay parents being pretty cool dads probably, could be weird too but that would be between the kid/parents to sort out. Parenting skills have nothing to do with sexuality or religion, it's all about how you persoally feel towards the child and what you'll sacrifice for it.

If gay guys or lesbians want to get married who cares? Bringing the bible into it is dumb, not many people really follow the bible 100% regardless of religion, and all worship whatever religion they are (or no religion) in their own personal way nowadays.

Marriage is just a title, but it's something people may wanna experience with a close partner regardless of sex. So why stop them? Doesn't hurt anyone. It's already been said, we aren't underpopulated and saying NO MARRIAGE 4 U isn't gonna make gay guys start being straight and reproduce.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
サーバ: Fairy
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-09-06 23:16:20  
Korpg said:
Whats going on?

Other than bouncing avatar breasts?
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-09-06 23:16:58  
So basically, this is why people are against gay marriage/partnership/civil union/whatever:

"The Bible says so."
"The majority is against it."
"Gay people can't reproduce."

What a lame debate :/

EDIT: Is the word "marriage" in itself really that important?
 Garuda.Littledarc
サーバ: Garuda
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-09-06 23:18:22  
srsly. more right wing christans plz.
 Odin.Karusan
サーバ: Odin
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-09-06 23:19:35  
Karusan said:
Things to remember:
No attacks on other posters. If you have an opinion that is different to someone else, say so and provide evidence to support your opinion.
No one is wrong in their opinions, it's an opinion. If you post however please expect people to make responses to what you say. This means keep an open mind. If you're not prepared to have someone think differently to you maybe it's best if you don't post.
It's OK to have fun in this thread, just not at someone else's expense.

Friendly reminder.
 Phoenix.Amael
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-09-06 23:19:38  
Littledarc said:
srsly. more right wing christans plz.

^This. So far this thread is just everyone agreeing with everyone.
 Asura.Ludoggy
サーバ: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-09-06 23:19:51  
Katarzyna said:
So basically, this is why people are against gay marriage:

"The Bible says so."

Also add
"if we let the gays, we'll have to let the pedos, polygamists and possibly the beastys"
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-09-06 23:21:12  
I think ppl should be allowed to have their own opinions still though. Just b/c you don't agree with their reasons doesn't mean their opinion is wrong. That's the whole point of an opinion, to make it yourself based upon the evidence given. I think it's really immature/rude of someone to harass someone that is opposed to gay marriage just b/c it's their personal opinion.
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-09-06 23:21:16  
it's not a debate if everyone is agreeing! what's wrong with saying more right wing christians? they will have their arguments and opinions to add which will make for more lively debate!

sry, if you got offended. wasn't trying to offend.
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-09-06 23:23:29  
also if it's your personal opinion then you can't use the bible as your backup. why is that? cause the bible wasn't written by you, nor was it written by god. it was written by men and possibly women. their opinions can also be yours, but you can't say that it's your opinion cause they told you it should be your opinion.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-09-06 23:25:05  
Littledarc said:
what's wrong with saying more right wing christians?

This brought up something that bothers me sometimes. I don't understand how ppl can get upset with someone using gay in a bad way when the same ppl getting upset would use a term like 'right wing' or 'christian' as a bad term. I guess I just don't understand why ppl want to be treated with respect if they aren't willing to treat others with respect.
 Phoenix.Amael
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-09-06 23:25:35  
Ludoggy said:
Katarzyna said:
So basically, this is why people are against gay marriage:

"The Bible says so."

Also add
"if we let the gays, we'll have to let the pedos, polygamists and possibly the beastys"

Don't forget the Incestuos. lol

But in seriousness Pedophilia, Zoophilia and Incest are extremely gross in my Opinion. Polygamists well, Ill go with meh. There are religions that allow polygamy. Still doesn't make it right, but i wouldn't put it at the same degree as the other ones.
 Phoenix.Amael
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-09-06 23:26:22  
Littledarc said:
also if it's your personal opinion then you can't use the bible as your backup. why is that? cause the bible wasn't written by you, nor was it written by god. it was written by men and possibly women. their opinions can also be yours, but you can't say that it's your opinion cause they told you it should be your opinion.

shhhh!! leave this for the religion debate
 Remora.Darkmod
サーバ: Remora
user: darkmod
By Remora.Darkmod 2009-09-06 23:27:14  
Well, my sister is gay, and married (sorta, i never really followed it too much as i moved out a few years ago and don't talk to her often) She's also pretty darn pregnant, about to give birth to a baby girl in a few weeks I suppose. I was raised a hippy, and im not religious, so... my opinion should be obvious. I think its sickening we ban same-sex marriage, I think 2 people of the same sex can raise a child just as well as a co-sexual parental system. Religion and procreation should be completely separate from each-other.

That's my 2-cents anyways, its not even a debate, that's the way it should be. I'm usually very against close-minded "my way or no way" ideals, but when it comes to things like this, its not worth arguing. You either get it, or your blinded by influential garbage.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-09-06 23:28:16  
Yakutatazu said:
Littledarc said:

This brought up something that bothers me sometimes. I don't understand how ppl can get upset with someone using gay in a bad way when the same ppl getting upset would use a term like 'right wing' or 'christian' as a bad term. I guess I just don't understand why ppl want to be treated with respect if they aren't willing to treat others with respect.

I thought this was a debate (more like a discussion...I don't see much debating going on) on whether gay marriage should be legalized, not if the word "gay" is offensive and derogatory.
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-09-06 23:28:54  
Yakutatazu said:
Littledarc said:

most right wing christians would have something to add to the debate. i wasn't bashing christians or right wings. i am mearly stating that both christians and right wings would most likely have differing opinions than mine in this debate. and when did i use gay in a bad way in this forum?
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-09-06 23:33:45  
Katarzyna said:
I thought this was a debate (more like a discussion...I don't see much debating going on) on whether gay marriage should be legalized, not if the word "gay" is offensive and derogatory.

It was a tad off topic, but you missed my point still. It wasn't about the word 'gay', it was about using words or terms to put someone down. Words were used to put down ppl that are religious, even though I myself am not, I find it hypocritical mainly.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-09-06 23:33:54  
Ok turbo mode GO!
Is being gay a choice or is it something you are born into? I say it's a choice, a choice of lifestyle! We are designed to reproduce. People choose to be gay and live gay lives.

Marriage is used to help traditional couples have kids. Whether it's a child they created or not, marriage is a device used to help people who ultimately want to continue to populate the world. No love involved!

If we allow same-sex couples, they will get all the benefits of traditional couples, but have no obligation to use those benefits to help populate the world. Sure some them could choose too. But all sames-sex couples would still have said benefits. Whereas traditional marriage is a safer bet, in the mind of the government/church, than a couple will help populate the world.

Now combine that with the choice thing I mentioned and you get this metaphor:

I am poor, so therefore the government gives me free money, food, and health care. I didn't choose to be poor.

I am rich, therefore I must give back to the people. Or do I? I'm rich, but instead I choose declare I live a poor life. I hide my money somewhere, I live in a slum, so even though I could afford not too, I choose to live that way so I can collect benefits, rather than pay them for someone else.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-09-06 23:36:35  
Being gay is a feeling...right? you know...love is a feeling? and since it happens that person is the same sex that makes it gay...so...unless feelings are choices...being gay isnt a choice.

but I say its a choise...I was able to train myself into liking corn...yes that icky yellow veggie...I also trained myself to fall in love with asians...
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-09-06 23:36:55  
Littledarc said:
most right wing christians would have something to add to the debate. i wasn't bashing christians or right wings. i am mearly stating that both christians and right wings would most likely have differing opinions than mine in this debate. and when did i use gay in a bad way in this forum?

Your way of calling them out still was in a negative manner.

I never said you did, actually I wasn't really talking about you personally. I was mainly talking about this movement trying to get ppl to stop using the word gay in a demeaning way. I've seen individuals in the movement put down others in a hypocritical way. I'm sorry if you confused what I said as you personally, I was only stating that it reminded me of the situation.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-09-06 23:41:12  
Littledarc said:
ugh. i am pro gays being a family -.- ludoggy is not. please stop PMing me and flaming me.

Uh oh! I'm gonna assume people don't realize after my post about choice, that I was trying to stir a few cages. lol! I was supposed to be taking the place of someone who is against gay marriage but from an atheist point of view. Well Let's see first before I state my actual opinion, maybe someone will take what I said seriously.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-09-06 23:43:40  
Yakutatazu said:
Caiyuo said:
with the most controversial in my eyes being "don't ask, don't tell" which I think is horribly shameful in our day and age.
I'm guessing you have little actual experience with this situation. It's a pretty good program, and really is more lenient towards homosexuality than forcing someone to say if they are and then kicking them out if so. It makes them keep their sexuality out of duty hours which is 100% professional, there shouldn't be any sexual situations in a professional setting anyways.

I've known several homosexuals and drag queens that you would have never guessed during work hours were like that. If you're making your homosexuality apparent during hours then you're being unprofessional and pushing sexual harassment most likely.

The only way to get rid of this policy would be to segregate (would require homosexuals being allowed in the military) men/women by their sexuality not just their sex. This means 4 different latrines, tents, showers, etc.. otherwise with an 'open' policy there would be a larger problem with same-sex sexual harassment/assault.
You're right in your guess that I have little literal experience with it, but my main point of contention is just that if a case does arise where a person's sexuality is discovered then they're removed, regardless of the person. I'm sure plenty of people are familiar with the handful of cases where Arabic translators were found to be gay and removed from the military and in that capacity it just sucks. I get that professionally it's a non-issue, but you're stuck in the military for years and for those years it becomes your life, so to be told to conceal something that personal just seems wrong. I mean I assume this applies on and off literal work hours, along with having no pictures of a partner in personal space or anything that'd lead one to believe you were gay, nor discussion of it despite hetero counter-parts being free to talk about it in idle conversation, right?

I'm not trying to go off on a tangent here, but many things about a person are technically irrelevant in a professional work-setting, but that doesn't mean a person should be expected to fully and carefully conceal their personal lives just because their work doesn't apply to them. That isn't to say I don't get your point about flaunting things unnecessarily, but the military isn't a 24/7 work environment considering you only leave when "on leave."
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-09-06 23:44:10  
Ludoggy said:
Being gay is a feeling...right? you know...love is a feeling? and since it happens that person is the same sex that makes it gay...so...unless feelings are choices...being gay isnt a choice.

but I say its a choise...I was able to train myself into liking corn...yes that icky yellow veggie...I also trained myself to fall in love with asians...

^This
I had to train myself into eating broccoli, exercise, have heterosexual sex, etc. We can choose!
 Phoenix.Kaishen
user: Kaishen
By Phoenix.Kaishen 2009-09-06 23:45:00  
Allowing gay marriage would be pointless. Gay people don't form long-term relationships. We just sleep with 15 different people per week.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-09-06 23:45:15  
Chaosx said:

^This
I had to train myself into eating broccoli, exercise, have heterosexual sex, etc. We can choose!

Sarcasm is hard to see on the internet...
for reals?
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-09-06 23:45:30  
Chaosx said:
Ok turbo mode GO!
Is being gay a choice or is it something you are born into? I say it's a choice, a choice of lifestyle! We are designed to reproduce. People choose to be gay and live gay lives.

Marriage is used to help traditional couples have kids. Whether it's a child they created or not, marriage is a device used to help people who ultimately want to continue to populate the world. No love involved!

If we allow same-sex couples, they will get all the benefits of traditional couples, but have no obligation to use those benefits to help populate the world. Sure some them could choose too. But all sames-sex couples would still have said benefits. Whereas traditional marriage is a safer bet, in the mind of the government/church, than a couple will help populate the world.

I am poor, so therefore the government gives me free money, food, and health care. I didn't choose to be poor.

I am rich, therefore I must give back to the people. Or do I? I'm rich, but instead I choose declare I live a poor life. I hide my money somewhere, I live in a slum, so even though I could afford not too, I choose to live that way so I can collect benefits, rather than pay them for someone else.

or gays could adopt the many children we have in foster care and give them a better life. who cares if they can't populate the world themselves?

also, apparently you have never been poor. sometimes it just happens (especially in this economy) did you know that 23% of all homeless people are veterans? it doesn't mean they wanted to be homeless. i've know a lot of homeless people that got to that point in their life without a choice. i've also know a lot of homeless people that given the chance have gotten jobs and homes.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-09-06 23:46:03  
I don't understand how anyone can say someone can't base their opinion on the Bible. Just b/c you don't write it doesn't mean you can't follow/believe it. The Bible says homosexuality is a sin, and therefore them supporting it could be against their religion.

To say no is a breach of the freedom of religion. They are free to believe what they want, as long as they do not break the law to oppose same-sex marriage they have the right to oppose it.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-09-06 23:46:22  
Ludoggy said:
Chaosx said:

^This

Sarcasm is hard to see on the internet...
for reals?

^This LMFAO!
(I thought we were still trying to rattle some cages here?)
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-09-06 23:47:01  
Chaosx said:

^This LMFAO!
(I thought we were still trying to rattle some cages here?)

I was being sincere
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-09-06 23:47:59  
Littledarc said:
Chaosx said:
Ok turbo mode GO!

or gays could adopt the many children we have in foster care and give them a better life. who cares if they can't populate the world themselves?

also, apparently you have never been poor. sometimes it just happens (especially in this economy) did you know that 23% of all homeless people are veterans? it doesn't mean they wanted to be homeless. i've know a lot of homeless people that got to that point in their life without a choice. i've also know a lot of homeless people that given the chance have gotten jobs and homes.

I think you missed this.
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 8 9 10