サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Montaeg
By Fenrir.Montaeg 2016-02-24 08:25:21  
Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
Fenrir.Ramzus said: »
Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
I should mention that all THF were basically geared from their other jobs without actually dedicated gear (they all geared it from their BLUs/NINs etc) and they all had 0 JP. So if we were to use 3x Aeonic THF with 2100 JP we could probably get the fight down to sub 15 minutes no problem.
Vajra performs much better than Aeneas in these situations

Vajra may be better due to the 30% SA/TA buff, but Aeonics are also a pretty massive boost with the 500 TP Bonus, and are also free. Vajra also loses the luster of not having the AM3 work since the only hit that matters is the first. I suspect any of RMA are fine, and Mandau is probably lolMandau.

Point is, anything is better than our izhikooh thf X_X
For a THF, the priority of mainhand daggers in this situation would be New Vajra > Old Vajra > Aeneas > New Twashtar > Max Taming Sari or New Mandau > whatever. AM is irrelevant unless you're using Mandau, which it would need to keep up with Sari. For offhand, it'd be New Twashtar > Magian TP Bonus Dagger > Max Taming Sari > whatever.

But yeah, Izhiikoh is pretty dated these days. Even a minimal augment Sari is better than all other Adoulin knives.

The real point here being less so which dagger you should use as THF, but that if you think your 2100 JP BLU with really nice gear is going to out do your 29 JP THF dual wielding an Izhiikoh/Atoyac and WS set cobbled together in about 5 minutes, you are very wrong.

Nyan cat sound track highly recommended to go along with the repetitive/absurd nature of this fight.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2016-02-24 08:35:42  
Ah yeah 1 thing I forgot to mention on FFXIAH:

THFs for Erinys offhand Martial Knife. Works in the offhand, makes the WS spam much stronger with current fTP values.
By Arcto 2016-02-24 09:02:45  
Most boring HELM fight i have done to date. Thanks guys!!!1

Mewmewmew
[+]
 Bahamut.Tychefm
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2016-02-24 09:47:45  
Mew
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2016-02-24 10:07:06  
Boring and extremely stressful at the same time... Rolls, Light Shot after Dia II, watching Mewing Lullaby count down in menu since timers weren't working, then exiting all those menus to use it as soon as possible... Easily the least fun fight I've ever done.
Oddly, the polar opposite of fights that involve forever silence/mute and amnesia and so can't do anything, which are all the second most least fun fights I've ever done.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2016-02-24 11:18:11  
We had our main SMN be the "Mew commander" and call people out based on his timers. Took a lot of stress off the subjob SMNs. Not like main SMN has much to do there.
[+]
 Fenrir.Devinry
user: Devinry
By Fenrir.Devinry 2016-02-24 12:13:47  
Bahamut.Tychefm said: »
We had our main SMN be the "Mew commander" and call people out based on his timers. Took a lot of stress off the subjob SMNs. Not like main SMN has much to do there.

We had our main SMN doing this too; people just being overdramatic.

As the PLD+WHM combo, I guess I didn't have as miserable an experience as others... It was tedious, but keeping all incoming damage at 0's was somewhat exciting. I'm pretty sure Ramzus has mentioned it before (either here or on BG), but a full SIR set for phalanx, crusade, BLU spells is really a must for fights of this nature.

Boo hoo we cleared a HELM in under an hour of minimal effort. I wish most of our HELM nights would go that way; I'd get more sleep.
By Arcto 2016-02-24 12:32:39  
Totally agree Dev! Honestly though only need 2 /SMN and a main SMN to lock it down. Think in all truth if I had a source of refresh I could main heal the tank on SMN too. Fight is too long for meds/siphons to be enough though.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2016-02-24 12:36:40  
I don't know about overdramatic, the stress is real! If one TP move goes off, congratulations, any time spent was a total waste. And losing at 1% to any of these fights is super depressing.

For those reading this looking for strategy advice, the more SMN and /SMN you have, with consideration to keeping your alliance as small as possible, the better it will go.
If you keep it from ever using a TP move, it doesn't hurt anyone at all. We didn't even engage our Cait Siths, to limit all TP feed, meaning everyone was standing in very close proximity to the mob and its adds. Being this close to any of the other HELMs would have resulted in mass death. My Cait Sith and I never took any damage.

The challenge to this fight is getting a Mew off once every 15s or sooner.
Our first attempt was a failure because we didn't coordinate the Mews well at all, so I can't give a more definitive minimum amount of time between Mews.

Also, for those that will be /SMN-get your Naga Raja refresh vorseals. It's nice to have a free avatar without wearing any refresh gear.
[+]
 Fenrir.Snaps
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2016-02-24 13:41:00  
I was actually THF/WAR, not THF/SAM. I don't have /SAM unlocked, yee. I did end up parsing 48% total damage although all of our THF were actually really gimp in some way (non of our gear is ideal and we have no JP) so I don't really know what to make of it other than you can still win with WAR subjob.
By Arcto 2016-02-24 13:50:34  
Classic Kaz!
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
サーバ: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-02-24 14:20:35  
Bahamut.Tychefm said: »
Ah yeah 1 thing I forgot to mention on FFXIAH:

THFs for Erinys offhand Martial Knife. Works in the offhand, makes the WS spam much stronger with current fTP values.
Are you sure? I've only ever seen that the Martial weapons don't work offhand, but the the Magian weapons with TP Bonus do.
 Odin.Llewelyn
サーバ: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-02-24 14:27:33  
Fairly sure Martial weapons are the other exception. Would be simple to test.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-02-24 15:21:18  
Alrighty, so Martial weapons do not work on offhand.

Used Spirits Within with 1003 TP and 1773 HP

Expected 1000 TP value: 221
Expected 2000 TP value: 886

Damage dealt: 221

So yeah, make dem magian daggers, THFs!
[+]
 Fenrir.Ramzus
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2016-02-24 15:22:47  
rip
 Fenrir.Ramzus
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2016-02-24 15:46:24  
Is it 100% confirmed that magian actually works offhand before I waste hours farming one up?
 Bismarck.Nickeny
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2016-02-24 16:19:54  
Is it 100% confirmed that magian actually works offhand before I waste hours farming one up?

Its does. I have it and works off hand....

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/21603/fusetto2-off-hand

https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/103597-Random-Facts-Thread?p=4701336&viewfull=1#post4701336
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-02-24 16:38:37  
I don't believe an offhand TP bonus test can be performed with Spirit Taker.
[+]
 Fenrir.Snaps
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2016-02-24 16:44:45  
Kind of a random place to pose this question, but it seems relevant. Does ilvl factor into level correction functions?
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-02-24 16:56:14  
Used a less "janky" WS and did another test with Aeolian Edge.

1003 TP with Martial Knife: 726 damage
1004 TP without Martial Knife: 727 damage

Don't know what else you'd want.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2016-02-24 17:48:06  
Woops! Well guess you don't need them then. Guess the JPs had Magian weapons for their first kills tho. My bad !
 Fenrir.Ramzus
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2016-02-24 18:04:13  
i want a 200k refund for these 2 knives i bought.
 Fenrir.Ramzus
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2016-02-24 22:11:51  
Well, it's over.

Apparently we checkmated it and it stopped spawning adds after we killed Bhata->Ashva->Gaja. Cute 10 min win.
[+]
 Fenrir.Montaeg
user: Montaeg
By Fenrir.Montaeg 2016-02-25 06:37:07  
And then we all started our daggers.
By Arcto 2016-02-25 07:34:03  
Screw you I am doing horn.
By Verda 2016-02-25 13:01:04  
Do you think it bugged out or is pawn, knight, bishop related to some famous chess move? I used to be in chess club but doesn't make sense to me I know there is 2 and 3 move checkmates but those use pawns and queens. Mainly wondered if it can be replicated. In either case, congratulations on your win.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2016-02-25 13:31:44  
I'm leaning towards it bugging out, like ye olde ZNM days, since it didn't !! or give any indication that we did something special.
No way to know until we or another group pops it again for SCIENCE!
 Fenrir.Ramzus
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2016-02-25 14:18:16  
Devinry said:
I mentioned this in passing last night, but I think the mechanics are related somehow to the real game of chess, or rather Chaturanga.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaturanga

So Schah is obviously the Raja/king (but renamed since Raja is already a used NM name), Mantri is queen, Ratha is rook, Gaja is bishop, Ashva is knight, Bhata is pawn (which can evolve to Mantri/queen if left alive long enough).

Ram mistyped and our order last night was actually Bhata (pawn) >> Ashva (knight) >> Gaja (bishop).

Now either it's just a crude "kill in the order of reverse hierarchy" type thing, which we did; or it's some sort of more sophisticated "kill in an order representing an actual chess move" type thing, which seems a little outside the bounds of SE's trickery, but who knows. Our resident chess expert says that pawn >> knight >> bishop is a pretty standard opening to a game, so perhaps that's it. Pawn >> knight >> bishop is also a path to "access" the king on the king side.

In any case, I recommend someone try following the same pattern we did (obviously without letting a Bhata evolve) and see if it locks spawns.

From BG. There is some plausibility to a "checkmate" mechanic, maybe.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
サーバ: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-02-25 14:50:00  
Definitely good news if there's a way to reduce the amount of adds. The idea of fighting something that requires nearly the full 30 min and minimal room for error was quite a motivation killer.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 45 46 47