言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » FFXI on Windows 10
FFXI on Windows 10
By Jetackuu 2015-07-30 14:10:08  
You don't need legacy directx.

As for pro, if you have pro you get pro.
 Asura.Orangebear
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Astaro
By Asura.Orangebear 2015-07-30 14:37:19  
I've upgraded to 10 about two hours ago.

I opened FFXI via windower, and it crashed straight away! (On the part where it goes full screen)

However I reopened it and was able to login with no problems. I tested it on all three characters at once to make sure I could dualbox, and the only thing I can notice is a slight laggy feel.

The mouse was also set to be really goddamn fast, but other than that looking good so far...!
 Quetzalcoatl.Saaito
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Aai
By Quetzalcoatl.Saaito 2015-07-30 15:17:13  
Asura.Orangebear said: »
I've upgraded to 10 about two hours ago.

I opened FFXI via windower, and it crashed straight away! (On the part where it goes full screen)

However I reopened it and was able to login with no problems. I tested it on all three characters at once to make sure I could dualbox, and the only thing I can notice is a slight laggy feel.

The mouse was also set to be really goddamn fast, but other than that looking good so far...!

Playonline just crashes and does not open at all. Changed compatibility settings and still fail.
 Siren.Avina
サーバ: Siren
user: Avina
By Siren.Avina 2015-07-30 15:22:56  
I had similar problems initially after installing. For me, updating all my graphics drivers to Windows 10 specific drivers did the trick (I have an NVidia card).
 Quetzalcoatl.Saaito
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Aai
By Quetzalcoatl.Saaito 2015-07-30 15:40:34  
Siren.Avina said: »
I had similar problems initially after installing. For me, updating all my graphics drivers to Windows 10 specific drivers did the trick (I have an NVidia card).

Thanks Avina,

Updated my Nvidea drivers and took off the compatibility mode did the trick!
 Asura.Rinuko
user: Rinuko
By Asura.Rinuko 2015-07-31 05:19:19  
Didnt really have issues launching windower but resolution is *** up. Guessing it may be within the orginal config settings. Have to do more testing after work.
 Bismarck.Marmite
サーバ: Bismarck
user: innit
By Bismarck.Marmite 2015-07-31 18:17:52  
I currently run win7 64 bit pro. Is there any benefit to using 10 other than it looking different/fresh? Is win 10 is all 64 bit now and they simply don't have a 32 bit version?
By Eumann 2015-08-01 05:06:16  
I upgraded to W10 yesterday and tried running FFXI with Windower. It all went fine until the game loaded and was running about 10-15 fps slower than on W7 ~_~ Also the menus and text boxes were all low res and blurry even though I set them to 1920x1080 in the config. Anyone else have any issues like this or any way to fix them? I am using an Asus UX31A.
 Asura.Vinedrius
user: Devrom
By Asura.Vinedrius 2015-08-01 07:13:30  
Bismarck.Marmite said: »
I currently run win7 64 bit pro. Is there any benefit to using 10 other than it looking different/fresh? Is win 10 is all 64 bit now and they simply don't have a 32 bit version?

Windows 10 is available for 32 bit systems as well.
[+]
 Asura.Raanan
By Asura.Raanan 2015-08-01 07:52:05  
According to MS though, if you're free upgrading you go 32-> 32 or 64->64 you cant 64>32.
 Asura.Wormfeeder
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2015-08-01 08:56:05  
Eumann said: »
I upgraded to W10 yesterday and tried running FFXI with Windower. It all went fine until the game loaded and was running about 10-15 fps slower than on W7 ~_~ Also the menus and text boxes were all low res and blurry even though I set them to 1920x1080 in the config. Anyone else have any issues like this or any way to fix them? I am using an Asus UX31A.

Upgrade your video drivers. AMD and Nvidia have win 10 drivers on their sites.
[+]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
サーバ: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-08-01 09:15:23  
I finally got XI installed yesterday and it works perfectly on my fresh Windows 10 install. Using an NVIDIA 980 Ti, I even cleaned it up with their hardware AA and forced AF.
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2015-08-01 11:55:02  

Performance on my Surface Pro is terrible, but it was the same with Windows 8.1. The Intel driver doesn't do well with older DirectX stuff, best I can tell.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-01 12:08:21  

I had a lot of issues playing FFXI on my UX31 laptop even with withdows 7. It ran butter smooth on my Q301. Internally, they are very similar besides the Q series being newer.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-08-01 12:11:02  
Is there a way I can download the windows 10 free upgrade and install it on a brand new SSD, and convert over to using it for my OS and major programs, and then use my existing HDD as a slave for media storage and minor programs?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-01 12:23:46  
Once you do the upgrade and get a key, you can make an install media or download the ISO and do a clean install using that product key. I haven't tried it on a different disk, but I don't see why you couldn't.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-08-01 12:27:18  
I reverted to Win 8.1 last night after KOTOR kept crashing, apparently a fair amount of Steam games aren't compatible with Win10 atm.

Think I'll wait it out a bit before I upgrade again, let them work out the kinks.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-08-01 12:46:23  
Can I do the upgrade straight to the SSD, while leaving my current HDD as is?
 Asura.Raanan
By Asura.Raanan 2015-08-01 13:24:27  
You can download it how the hell you like, if you go to the Microsoft page rather than using the tool that comes thru then you can choose to update the current HD or stick it onto a USB drive. once uve got it on usb (insert other drive here), then do as you please.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-01 14:40:52  
The product key isn't generated until the end of the upgrade, I don't see how you could install for free without upgrading first.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2015-08-02 09:07:08  
Has any other windower problems arrived after 10 upgrade?
 Sylph.Safiyyah
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-08-02 11:00:04  
Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »

If you're coming from Win7/8 you must do the upgrade first to convert your key. There's no way to manually convert your key yet. Microsoft is basically forcing this upgrade.
By Jetackuu 2015-08-02 11:34:47  
Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »

I haven't tested it yet but if you upgrade first then reinstall fully it should reactivate the same key (make sure to retrieve it and document it).

Now to do that with your setup you would need to use a utility to copy your data as is to your ssd then perform the "update." A lot of SSD's in retail packaging come with software or a free code for software that will do this, there's also other tools that will do this function, I wouldn't pay for it if something tries to charge you).

edit: but yes it looks like updating then reinstalling works just fine:

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

edit2: granted this process will take a good bit of time, if you have a second pc to make the media while it's doing it's thing it would save you some.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-02 12:46:49  
Jetackuu said: »

I did a little digging and it appears that DX12 is supposed to be 100% backward compatible but also designed to shift more graphics processing off the CPU. If people have severe framerate issues after changing to Win10, I'm going to bet money it's due to DX12.
 Shiva.Cymopoleia
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Cymopoleia 2015-08-02 12:48:32  
Cerberus.Tidis said: »
I reverted to Win 8.1 last night after KOTOR kept crashing, apparently a fair amount of Steam games aren't compatible with Win10 atm.

Think I'll wait it out a bit before I upgrade again, let them work out the kinks.

I've only had 2 games not work right under 10 and only 1 was a steam game, but still played (most of the time): Halo 2, and Space Engineers, everything else runs fine. As do my games from Gog.com. I just tried KOTOR and it worked fine.

Now the Nexus mod manager won't work either, but that never has, and they figured out the issue but wouldn't fix it till after 10 launched. But otherwise nothing outright refused to work.

But those are the only programs I've had run with problems since I picked up the 9926 build of 10. Are you sure you had direct-play enabled? (and make sure the video drivers updated)
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-02 12:52:17  
Shiva.Cymopoleia said: »
(and make sure the video drivers updated)

Audio drivers as well, surprisingly, seem to be the cause of a lot of issues. My realtech wasn't updated and it was causing crashes when multiple tracks played at once.
By Jetackuu 2015-08-02 17:20:42  
Odin.Jassik said: »

I did a little digging and it appears that DX12 is supposed to be 100% backward compatible but also designed to shift more graphics processing off the CPU. If people have severe framerate issues after changing to Win10, I'm going to bet money it's due to DX12.

What I meant is that as long as you have directx 11 you're good you don't need to manually install dx9 to play XI.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-02 17:47:34  
Odin.Jassik said: »

What I meant is that as long as you have directx 11 you're good you don't need to manually install dx9 to play XI.

Yeah, I was just pointing out that the update messes with your directx settings and version. I even had to download my nvidia drivers again to get SLI enabled.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-08-02 17:49:45  
Shiva.Cymopoleia said: »
Cerberus.Tidis said: »

I've only had 2 games not work right under 10 and only 1 was a steam game, but still played (most of the time): Halo 2, and Space Engineers, everything else runs fine. As do my games from Gog.com. I just tried KOTOR and it worked fine.

Now the Nexus mod manager won't work either, but that never has, and they figured out the issue but wouldn't fix it till after 10 launched. But otherwise nothing outright refused to work.

But those are the only programs I've had run with problems since I picked up the 9926 build of 10. Are you sure you had direct-play enabled? (and make sure the video drivers updated)
I have the latest video drivers and direct play is enabled, when I try to load a save or start a new game it gets to the point where the loading bar is almost full and crashes.

Just accidentally re-upgraded to Win 10 and it is still happening, this is off Steam, dunno if it works if run independently.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-08-02 18:10:58  
after a bit of googling I was able to fix it by disabling frame buffer effects.

So I'll stick with Win 10 now!