RUN Empyrean Armor Quest
 Bismarck.Laurelli
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2015-04-02 11:12:11  
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
How do you deal with the stun effect of the Dire Whorl? The above screen shots show they all missed. But if you get hit, you're done.

Battuta, and luck.
Few fights I did, Whirl missed every time except maybe twice. The stun isn't too long, but Battuta + head probably can help you evade every one of them.
Thanks.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
サーバ: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-04-02 11:56:32  
Battuta for sure, Swordplay helps, I think you could probably use Foil (didn't even consider it myself). Since Vallation/Valiance stay when popping, you could probably also Tellus Pflug, and that should stay active.
 Shiva.Popoie
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nigletaru
By Shiva.Popoie 2015-04-02 12:12:33  
I'm confused on how to flag the quest from Octavernost. Is there a quest or ki I need to get or do before he flags them?
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2015-04-02 12:26:16  
Have to complete both the AF and Relic armor quests.
*does not require full sets just the quests associated.
By Zaeeth 2015-04-02 12:27:41  
Spells I've used include Foil and Regen. Those at least, don't seem to piss it off.
 Shiva.Popoie
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nigletaru
By Shiva.Popoie 2015-04-02 13:53:41  
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Have to complete both the AF and Relic armor quests.
*does not require full sets just the quests associated.

Do i have to redo quests if they got erased.?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-04-02 14:06:42  
That fight is all about making the proper use of your time, and correctly executing your actions. Planning your strategy out and executing it out perfectly are two completely different things.

With that said, I found myself getting overwhelmed by including too many actions in the fight. I am going to retry on 135 sunday, but keeping it simple and planning seems to be the way to go. Time spent casting foil, regen, using JAs, could be precious moments you could be using setting up runes. Unless of course, you got the time, then have at it.
[+]
By Jadey 2015-04-02 16:11:52  
As long as you have a quality DD set (Taeon with good augments, etc) the 135 fight is easily cheesed RUN/SAM. Aim for ~1050 accuracy in /checkparam with food on. In my experience Valiance/Vallation are removed on pop so don't trigger those. On pop, do the following:

1) Rune strong to the NEXT day (for example if you pop on Firesday, put up Flabra since it beats Earth. Try to time it so you're popping on a day where the second element is weak to the Light SC elements.), Hasso, Meditate, Swordplay, Rune strong to the NEXT day, Battuta. You should be able to get all of these off before the Blades start their first spell.

2) You should be able to survive one tier 4 spell in basic 119 DD gear and Vile Elixir/Pulse back most of the HP. After getting the HP back put up a third rune of the same type and keep swinging.

3) After the first Whorl (if you're stunned, swap into MDT gear until you're able to act) pop Sforzo in reaction to the first spell you see to give yourself 40s of magic immunity. Once you're at 2000 TP, Sekkanoki -> Dimidiation -> Dimidiation -> Lunge MB. Put up one more Light-burstable rune and build TP.

4) Once back to 1000 TP, Dimidiation -> Wing -> Dimidiation -> Swipe MB and it should be dead if your DD gear is good enough. If Sforzo wears off before you have 1000TP, pop Subterfuge and keep attacking - but honestly if you don't have gear that would give you near capped accuracy on this you probably shouldn't be attempting the CL135 version.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-04-04 23:23:38  
Redid the fight tonight, almost forgot. Refined my strategy and notes a little. Using the same gear as last time, I won again but without using Icarus Wing or Sforzo/Subterfuge:

- You're pretty much sure to go through 4 elements before timing out, so plan SC/MB and runes accordingly. This is worth noting because if you have Vallation upon activating the fight, you can cover all 4 elements with Vallation > Valiance > Liement > Vallation, so you'll rarely take full damage.
- Holy II is very powerful and fast, making it dangerous to eat and very hard to Liement.
- Comet is fairly weak and not particularly fast, so I stand by Dark as the preferred day to start on.
- Gambit makes a massive difference. Best thing to do with that is Gambit your preferred Lunge rune when he's one element away. This way, when he shifts, you can immediately dish out that SC and MB without risk of stun, and Gambit's increase will be worth more than doing an extra WS (gear depending).
- The new Soulcleaver greatsword from Vagary is probably ideal using this strategy.
- Be careful if using Flabra/super obi since ice weather is common here.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-04-06 13:09:11  
Finally beat this on 135, following Jeanpaul's Darksday strat. It worked with tons of HP to spare. Just a few quick notes: Having 3/5 RUN empyrean pieces (and warder's charm+1) seems to help a ton. Also, I decided to use SP2 first right as soon as Liement absorbed and OFA wore. When that was winding down, I popped Sforzo, and engaged my SC. After that, just get tp once more and wing.
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-04-06 13:34:14  
I'm gonna (re)try to do it on 135 after I got violated by swords last time.

Knew I should have 1-hr'ed, but nope, I didn't, and nope, I ate dirt.

I do have 5/5 empyrean pieces, though, and if that helps, then I'll try the strategy you have helpfully outlined. :D

Edit: in my 135 attempt, I used Hasso and he promptly slapped me with Dispelga. My poor luck, or does it indeed not like Hasso?
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-04-06 14:10:38  
Not sure if Empyrean pieces are gonna make a difference or not, I beat it without any, and since mine are only 109 now, I really only use the head (which doesn't add anything here). I think the best pieces you can go for are either heavy in DT or accuracy (or both).

It won't cast Dispelga due to Hasso, there must've been another buff on you that it didn't like. In my fights, I only end up using Hasso, Swordplay, Sekkanoki, food, and Wards. OFA and 1hrs won't be dispelled either, nor can they be dispelled if it were to try. With Subterfuge on, it is possible to put up other buffs since you'll end up resisting his Dispelga and nukes, but after that you'd be screwed. Not to mention, said buffs won't help your damage.
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-04-06 14:27:02  
Well, I'm definitely gonna try the Darksday strategy seeing as that it worked rather well for several of us here.

The accuracy on the empy body could help me; I underestimated the thing's evasion and had a difficult time hitting until I swapped into a halfassed acc set.

I've only been back a few days and I tried it on my first day back, so I was probably out of practice (or I suck).

Thank you for your help ^^
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-04-07 11:33:23  
A few things you'll almost certainly need:
- At the very least, 1000 accuracy with food (I've been going with about 1030). Remember that every 2 points of accuracy is 1% hit rate, and you'll need all the hits you can get here. Don't rely entirely on Swordplay since it won't always be up, nor at full potency.
- A strong MAB set for Lunge. With Gambit, my bursted Lunges are doing 5k to the blades. I can't check right now, but I think I have about 127 MAB.
- A good MDT set to macro in for nukes. Engulfer/Warder and Shadow Ring are invaluable for such sets.
- An Icarus Wing, unless your Lunges are strong enough. I had screwed up in my first fight Saturday night; I was gonna finish him off with Dim > Wing > Dim but he stunned me after the first, and I impulsively used my wing but didn't SC and timed out at like 5%. This meant I couldn't use a wing unless I wanted to stay up for another 2 hours, but using Gambit made enough of a difference that I didn't need the wing.
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-04-07 11:45:55  
Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
A few things you'll almost certainly need:
- At the very least, 1000 accuracy with food (I've been going with about 1030). Remember that every 2 points of accuracy is 1% hit rate, and you'll need all the hits you can get here. Don't rely entirely on Swordplay since it won't always be up, nor at full potency.
- A strong MAB set for Lunge. With Gambit, my bursted Lunges are doing 5k to the blades. I can't check right now, but I think I have about 127 MAB.
- A good MDT set to macro in for nukes. Engulfer/Warder and Shadow Ring are invaluable for such sets.
- An Icarus Wing, unless your Lunges are strong enough. I had screwed up in my first fight Saturday night; I was gonna finish him off with Dim > Wing > Dim but he stunned me after the first, and I impulsively used my wing but didn't SC and timed out at like 5%. This meant I couldn't use a wing unless I wanted to stay up for another 2 hours, but using Gambit made enough of a difference that I didn't need the wing.

I'm working on my Taeon gloves, which I believe can be better than Nilas (and I don't have Nilas, so...) which should help my Lunge set. I have Engulfer +1/Shadow Ring so that shouldn't be to much of an issue; I may need to use an acc neckpiece even if I could get Warder's. I may use empy body simply because I don't have a better body piece with accuracy that I recall.

I have the stack of Icarus Wings from my first try, minus one. I can see where that'll be helpful.

From what I read, you would want to Gambit for the next element he's planning on tossing, correct?

The run to Ranguemont sucks, too.

My MDT set is pretty decent, even without Defending Ring, mainly because I chose Vocane from SoA rewards. That + Yacaruna is what I generally use.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-04-07 11:49:29  
I actually don't have the Vaginary GS for Lunge set, nor did I use Gambit. My Lunge did around MB 4700 or so, so even a halfway decent set is acceptable.

I didn't use 5/5, as its only a 2% proc increase. I mainly use feet/legs/body, and hands/head was iuitl/+1 augmented MDT. You could always drop the empyrean for around 6% more MDT, which may or may not make the difference. For me, the potential to get a "Free Liement" was more important, since One absorbed element could buy me that necessary time to finish him off.

If you haven't already, bring a vile elixir+1, and eat Bream Sushi if you're short on cash (highest acc rating on food).

Like was said by JP, you should be TPing in great acc/multi-attack gear (since your speed will be really slow, especially with Macbain), and just change sets when it starts casting. Of course, he has an Epeolatry, so he gains TP significantly faster than the rest of us, which is likely why he didn't need to rely on his 1hours.

I'll try using Gambit before setting off my MB skillchain.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-04-07 11:54:48  
You can use a survival guide to Ranguemont. The walk isnt as bad.

Taeon gloves are easy to augment with lower stones, and... literally all you need is MAB on it. Can completely ignore the other stats for this fight if you're short on cash.

Engulfer may not be as useful as using a DT Evasionist's. You're. Its only 4% iirc, but it only has a "chance" to proc the absorb. I'd take the additional 1%DT on evasionists (also has accuracy as well as Evasion for helping evade whorls) over the engulfer. Its more multipurpose that way.

You will be meleeing in full haste/multi-hit/acc gear whenever he's not casting, so your acc shouldnt really suffer much (maybe 2 seconds most per nuke). I Use Thaumas Body or Taeon body (17/17 2ta str8) for meleeing. Either works as a good multi-hit piece. Qaaxo works too. Taeon probably bis though.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-04-07 12:00:23  
Bahamut.Seekerstar said: »
From what I read, you would want to Gambit for the next element he's planning on tossing, correct?
Yes, so here's my recent fight:
1) Lux x3 Vallation, eat sushi
2) Pop NM on Darksday
3) Lux x3 (though you could use Unda, so you'd have Unda Valiance/Battuta on Fire), Meditate, Swordplay, Hasso, and then Battuta when all 3 runes are up
4) Melee til it uses Dire Whorl (entering Fire mode), pop Valiance if you have Unda on. Immediately switch to Flabra even though it's still on Fire. Gambit when all 3 Flabra runes are up.
5) Melee til it uses Dire Whorl (entering Earth mode). Hopefully you have 2000% TP by now. Sekkanoki, and double Dimidiation, burst Flabra Lunge. If you're quick, you can put up another rune and burst a Swipe too. I'll put one last Flabra before switching to Sulpor, to Liement Stone VI before it switches.
6) Dire Whorl again, now it's on Water mode. Vallation should be ready again. If you used Unda Battuta earlier, it should have worn by now so it won't heal him. Whittle it down and use a wing if you need it, ideally for a Dim to Dim SC again.

Anytime you're in trouble, use OFA or a 1hr.

I actually don't have the Vaginary GS for Lunge set, nor did I use Gambit. My Lunge did around MB 4700 or so, so even a halfway decent set is acceptable.
What rune are you bursting? I'm curious if my 5k bursted gambit'd Flabra Lunges are getting ice weather'd, or if you've just got a stronger Lunge set. Also, I'm not sure Epeolatry is well suited for this fight, except when Aftermath 1 is in play. Barring that accuracy bonus, I'd say even Aettir is a better choice for higher DMG and the Lunge bonus.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-04-07 19:44:34  
I'm also bursting flabra. Nothing special on the MAB set, just what you'd imagine (taeon hands/hat is mediocre, eddy/yamabuki/acumen/crematio+friomisi+evasionists+vanirbody+aatt feet/limbo trousers).

Got a few Job points in swipe/lunge, but nothing amazing.
 Asura.Vinedrius
サーバ: Asura
user: Devrom
By Asura.Vinedrius 2015-04-11 07:23:51  
Octavernost doesn't give me the initial CS for talking to him on RUN, wonder what I am missing.

He finally gave it to me after I hand over the KI from the relic armor quest to the crafter NPC.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2015-04-11 08:27:11  
When buukki says Vaginary sword he is referring to Soulcleaver.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-04-11 12:37:40  
I know, I was just bringing up Epeolatry cuz of this statement:
Of course, he has an Epeolatry, so he gains TP significantly faster than the rest of us, which is likely why he didn't need to rely on his 1hours.
...in so much that a good Macbain would probably be a much better choice than Epeolatry since there's no time for Aftermath 3. My friend Gobbo's regular swings are much stronger than mine when I'd watch him fight, though I think he was also using a somewhat more DD oriented set. Soulcleaver is probably ideal, unless you're having accuracy issues.
 Ragnarok.Martel
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2015-04-11 12:52:15  
Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
I know, I was just bringing up Epeolatry cuz of this statement:
Of course, he has an Epeolatry, so he gains TP significantly faster than the rest of us, which is likely why he didn't need to rely on his 1hours.
...in so much that a good Macbain would probably be a much better choice than Epeolatry since there's no time for Aftermath 3. My friend Gobbo's regular swings are much stronger than mine when I'd watch him fight, though I think he was also using a somewhat more DD oriented set. Soulcleaver is probably ideal, unless you're having accuracy issues.
It is pretty evasive at 135, so using Soulcleaver might cause the acc issues, unless your TP set has superlative acc+.

However, for this particular fight, you could just swap in Soulcleaver on lunge and swipe, as they'd be coming right after the WS that closed your SC. So there'd be minimal TP loss going on.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-04-12 01:40:46  
Did another fight, this time it took less than 2 minutes due to a very strong Dimidiation + Light. Used Unda during dark phase and popped Valiance when it Whorl'd, so the fire phase was a joke too. In the end, I didn't even need Liement, just killed it with the Lunge/Swipe combo. The blades seem to have about 12500-13000 HP, if anyone cares.

My inventory was cluttered so I missed out on 4 of the items, and checking the spawn point does not give you them after making space (which works with high level BCs).
 Ragnarok.Martel
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2015-04-12 11:41:01  
After all the trouble this fight gave me at first, this particular round was rather satisfying. XD

I really wish they'd add this kinda stuff for other jobs. I'd love to have something like this for PLD and DRG.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [60 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Mustybadger
By Asura.Mustybadger 2015-06-11 07:29:40  
Only just getting around to finishing off RUN and getting my PDT set finished off. Looks like BiS for PDT at the moment are Empy+1 legs and feet, but i'm not understanding the process. I get that you have to go through a quest to unlock the i109 version of Empyrean but i'm assuming you still need Vagary clears for i119?
By Zaeeth 2015-06-11 08:35:51  
Yes you need Vagary clears to +1 the gear. Well worth it.
 Asura.Vinedrius
user: Devrom
By Asura.Vinedrius 2015-06-11 08:47:22  
Asura.Mustybadger said: »
Only just getting around to finishing off RUN and getting my PDT set finished off. Looks like BiS for PDT at the moment are Empy+1 legs and feet, but i'm not understanding the process. I get that you have to go through a quest to unlock the i109 version of Empyrean but i'm assuming you still need Vagary clears for i119?

You must have Limbus access and talk to Sagheera (the NPC next to Monisette) once before talking to her to unlock armor upgrades.

For 119 empyrean upgrades, you need Vagary clears; Palloritus (Balamor/jester) for head, Plouton (Hades) for body, Putraxia (Ashrakk/caturae) for hands, Perfidien (Melvien) for legs and Rancibus (Dhokmak/salamander) kills.
 Asura.Mustybadger
By Asura.Mustybadger 2015-06-11 11:30:35  
Thank you :) Just wanted to check if RUN had to go through a different process but unfortunately not :(
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-06-16 15:53:54  
Never noticed it before, but Octavernost has an option to teleport you right to the Strange Apparatus you need. Simply talk to him again after you've picked up your KI for the fight.