2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » ~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
First Page 2 3 ... 91 92 93 ... 137 138 139
By soralin 2020-07-18 21:01:04  
Asura.Gotenn said: »
Rather than just keep editing my last post, I was looking into Emicho Haubert, hose, and gambieras. If your not trying too hard to stay near 3k (my above set is like 3040 hp without food) then Emicho body path B is a good pair to the hands. You lose 100 hp going out of odin body, but you get 5 DA + set bonus DA. I have Souveran in legs/feet because of the massive hp and cure received capped between those two, however you could change them out but I don't want my hybrid set to be 2600 hp. Yet another reason I was trying to fit in Srivatsa (+150 hp).

How are you making up for that massive loss in Damage Taken though?

We still want to have our PDT/MDT capped!

Souveran feet dont have accuracy, so they are kind of instantly out. For higher tier content we need all the acc we can get our hands on.

So this is my old hybrid set:

ItemSet 374473

And this is my new:

ItemSet 374471

This upgrade makes me still maintain capped damage reduction, but I go from:

218 Acc => 240 Acc (+22)

291 Att => 258 Att (-33)

43% DA => 43% DA (net 0)

2% TA => 0% TA (-2%)

27 Store Tp => 44 Store TP (+17)

635 HP => 898 HP (+263)

And going off DPS Spreadsheet on a higher tier target, it works out to aprox 6~7% more dps!

So yeah, massive boost going this direction!
 Ragnarok.Martel
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-07-19 22:59:26  
So. About Shield Defense Bonus. Or as it's called in the JP version, Extreme Guard.

I was doing some research while retesting block dmg- due to the recent changes to shield def values, and I stumbled upon some rather startling info.

From a JP blog post
Quote:
2-b Extreme Guard

Extreme Guard reduces damage by 8 when the shield is activated.
The damage when the shield is activated is "original damage x cut by shield activation x cut of cut equipment"
, but the extreme guard effect is calculated before "cut by cut equipment", so
if you have damage cut equipment The effect drops.
For example, if you use a shield with a cut rate of 50% and activate the shield for 100 damage with 50% cut equipment,
it will not be "100 × (1-0.50) × (1-0.50)-8 = 17 damage" and
"( 100 x (1-0.50)-8) x (1-0.50) = 21 damage".
According to the specifications, the cutting equipment is also cutting the extreme guard effect.
For anyone having issues with the googleTranslatese there...

Shield defense bonus isn't a % dmg reduction mod added to the block dmg reduction. It's more like a phalanx effect that directly subtracts a specified amount of dmg on block.

BUT! It does so before PDT is applied. This makes it so that it's effectiveness is reduced by PDT. Normally it's -8 dmg. with 50% PDT it'd only be -4.

This explains a great deal. Like why I never figured this out even though I've pursued a phalanx type SDB hypothesis before. Also, when you have low, but not 0 PDT(say 20~25%), like in every block dmg test I ever did back when, and mobs are hitting about 100~ unblocked, -8 dmg before PDT looks an awful lot like 6% extra reduction. /facepalm.

I've gone back an refactored a lot of tests using this info, both my gamut of recent post update tests, and a few older ones. I'm pretty convinced that this is correct now. And it just *** with every thing block dmg related I've ever done in the past. I'd lol, but I am really, really, less than amused. But at least I know now.

I've been working on a lot of testing, while accounting for the correct SDB model, and I hope to have a post going over the correct block dmg reduction values for various shield, along with the changes to the DEF to BDR formula sometime tomorrow. I also plan to do some shield comparisons with new values in mind. Just need to make sure I've got everything in order first.
[+]
 Siren.Sebian
サーバ: Siren
user: Camilien
By Siren.Sebian 2020-07-20 12:42:48  
Hello guys,

I have a well geared Paladin and have tanked most of the game. I’ve been using Excalibur and never have much trouble surviving or holding enmity(mostly). My question is, do I R15 Excal or bite the bullet and start on Burt ?
 Asura.Nuance
サーバ: Asura
user: Crion
By Asura.Nuance 2020-07-20 13:42:13  
I mean that whole “holding enmity(mostly)” thing would drop off even more with it
 Leviathan.Eloc
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Eloc
By Leviathan.Eloc 2020-07-20 13:42:44  
Siren.Sebian said: »
Hello guys,

I have a well geared Paladin and have tanked most of the game. I’ve been using Excalibur and never have much trouble surviving or holding enmity(mostly). My question is, do I R15 Excal or bite the bullet and start on Burt ?

Burtgang.
By soralin 2020-07-20 13:54:00  
I used to be moderately on the fence about which REMA to use but after reading up on the Burtgang R15 changes with respect to Atonement, I think at this point Burtgang is without a doubt the best tanking sword now.

The massive enmity R15 burtgang + atonement pumps out I think is unrivaled.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-07-20 21:45:05  
Looking at it now, I really should have tested a wider variety of different shields, but once I hit a particular oddity I kept poking at it with similar shields to see if it was a fluke or not...

Anyway, data. While accounting for how Shield Def. bonus actually works.

I used multiple methods to gather data this time, both kparseer and the parse addon, so I have a column for each type of data collection. dmg- is just what I think the actual value is.
Code
+-----------------+-------+--------------+---------+-----------------+
| Shield          | dmg-  | Parse(addon) | Kparser | #test hits      |
| Ochain          | 60%   | 60.10%       | 60.40%  |        30,215   |
| Aegis           | 75%   | 75.40%       | 75.40%  |          6,056  |
| Srivatsa        | 75%   | 74.60%       | 75.40%  |          6,177  |
| Priwen          | 80%   | 80.20%       | 80.40%  |          3,917  |
| Blurred(NQ)     | 80%   | 80.40%       | 80.30%  |          3,287  |
| Nibiru          | 80%   | 80.80%       | 80.90%  |          1,957  |
| Svalin(no augs) | 80%   | 80.80%       | 80.50%  |          2,293  |
| Signeur         | 62.5% | 62.60%       | 62.70%  |        10,966   |
Pretty obvious which samples I had to sleep/afk during, huh?

A key thing to understand here is that while some of these values appear to have taken a dive, due to previously incorrect understanding of Shield def. bonus mechanics, I don't believe any of these have actually changed form before the update. In-game performance is going to be the same as it always was(if not a little better on some due to just having more def). It's only our perception of it that has changed.

Now about the defense to block dmg- ratio...
Code
+-----------------+-----+------+------+------+--------+------------+----------+
| Shield          | def | ilvl | size | base | defmod | calc-dmg%- | Observed |
| Ochain          | 40  | 0    | 6    | 40   | 0.5    | 60         | 60%      |
| Aegis           | 40  | 0    | 5    | 55   | 0.5    | 75         | 75%      |
| Srivatsa        | 150 | 119  | 5    | 55   | 0.25   | 92.5       | 75%      |
| Priwen          | 130 | 119  | 3    | 50   | 0.25   | 82.5       | 80%      |
| Blurred(NQ)     | 120 | 119  | 3    | 50   | 0.25   | 80         | 80%      |
| Nibiru          | 130 | 119  | 3    | 50   | 0.25   | 82.5       | 80%      |
| Svalin(no augs) | 130 | 119  | 3    | 50   | 0.25   | 82.5       | 80%      |
| Signeur         | 25  | 0    | 3    | 50   | 0.5    | 62.5       | 62.5%    |
As I mentioned before, my sample selection was probably not the best for this, but... between a few specific samples here, and more info from the same JP blog and the Shield def bonus info, I'm pretty sure of the following.

Along with the doubled defense, the contribution of def to block dmg- has been halved for ilvl shields. This means we use def * 0.25(or def/4) for ilvl shields now.

The Seigneur shield sample shows that non ilvl shield aside from Aegis/ochain still have the old def/2 value. And of course Aegis and Ochain are unchanged as well. And the Blurred sample is a spot on match for def/4.

However, there are some notable outliers and oddities.

First of all, Srivatsa. I seem to recall once saying that there was nothing to test about Srivatsa. Well, I was wrong. Srivatsa's block dmg- is nothing like I would have expected. It matches Aegis' despite the huge def difference. And this isn't something new to this update. I found a JP post(same blog again, there is epic info/testing there.) that tested Srivatsa back in may 2019 and found the block dmg- to be 75% back then as well.

I begin to wonder if def is even a factor in the block dmg- for size 5 shields... I mean, it's clearly not factored in normally for Srivatsa. And when we 'figured out' the base dmg- for Aegis, it was by applying the known def ratio for other shield sizes then working backwards. Basically, it was assumed via a sample size of one.

But anyway. The other things that's really weird is all the 80%'s... I tested shield after shield with 130 defense, and they all ended up the same. Based on (def/4)+base, then should have been 82.5%. But they all ended up at 80~80.9% in the actual test samples...

So... is this a block dmg cap? Sorta seems that way. I wanted to test a shield that should be waaay past it, but.. well I thought Srivatsa would have been that shied. And it certainly wasn't...

I'm a bit reluctant to just declare it a block dmg cap based on this and I'm also not sure if the cap should be 80% or 81%.. like almost all those "capped" samples were slightly above 80... And not a single one even a tiny bit below it. Not sure if that's like an artifact of the math for reversing shield def bonus or if things just turned out that way, but if the cap is actually 80, you'd expect a sample somewhere to show 79.9X or something... But it sure looks like a cap.

Ok, one more table(I love this table generator...) This is a sort of, "How we thought things were", vs "How they actually are." Courtesy of wonky Shield defense bonus mechanics.
Code
+-----------------+--------+-------+
| Shield          | Before | Now   |
| Ochain          | 66%    | 60%   |
| Aegis           | 81%    | 75%   |
| Srivatsa        | 98.5%  | 75%   |
| Priwen          | 88.5%  | 80%   |
| Blurred(NQ)     | 86%    | 80%   |
| Nibiru          | 88.5%  | 80%   |
| Svalin(no augs) | 88.5%  | 80%   |
| Signeur         | 68.5%  | 62.5% |
It's basically -6 to everything. Except Srivatsa, which had a waaay lower dmg- than I'd have expected.

For the shield comparison stuff, I'm going to have to push that back to another post. I'm also debating if I want to get fresh block rate data, or just calculate everything from existing samples again.

Also I think I want to compare at multiple monster levels for this one like, 150, 139, etc. Not sure what I'd use for the other levels or how many I'd want to do. Gonna be a lot of work. But the hierarchy is definitely going to vary based on level. Ochain will, I have no doubt, rock it at the highest mob levels. But with the new reprisal skill bonus, other shields should be pretty good even as middling mob levels rather than just low levels.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-07-21 06:06:50  
I guess this means that Srivatsa is even worse than we thought it was?
Why do they keep on shitting over this poor Aeonic shield I wonder.

How do you guys think they could even save Srivatsa to make it relevant? Give it DT tier 2 to make it an all around fun toy to play with in specific nichey builds?

The occasionally annuls damage is cool in theory but not really something you can rely on, plus I'm pretty confident there's a very low cap for that, similar to quick magic.
(not like there's that huge of a selection of "annuls damage" gear to begin with though)
By Ermah 2020-07-21 06:26:43  
If you were only to get one of these, would you rather have Ochain or Aegis?

I'm well aware it's best to have both, but I can't magically make both appear in my inventory, so I was curious if you were to only get one which would hold more value?

I context, I plan on using the Paladin as a dual box character with a RNG to tank things, hopefully rather easily with dual boxing as I'm not an expert at it. Duoing as much as we can, we don't really participate in things we can't duo or trio, at best we'd do Dynamis D wave 2.

I saw a video that mentioned there was another shield with a high block similar to Ochain, is that all that makes Ochain strong is the block rate?
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-07-21 06:34:30  
The shield you heard mentioned with similar characteristics to Ochain is probably Priwen.
When Reprisal is up, it's basically on par (better?) with Ochain.
But can you keep reprisal up 100% of the time? Heh.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-07-21 06:38:34  
Martel, are you planning on testing Forfend to see if there's a shield block damage cap?
By Ermah 2020-07-21 06:42:41  
Asura.Sechs said: »
The shield you heard mentioned with similar characteristics to Ochain is probably Priwen.
When Reprisal is up, it's basically on par (better?) with Ochain.
But can you keep reprisal up 100% of the time? Heh.

I don't know. I'm just starting Paladin. I just got it to 99. I have a few things left to do on Ranger, finishing the rema weapon trials and then I was going to start on Paladin. If Priwen is close, if not better than Ochain, would that mean it would be better to advance Aegis first?
By Nariont 2020-07-21 06:51:57  
ochains block rate is incredibly good, but other shields can do what it does alright, but aegis still has a niche in its mdt II that no other shield can fill currently. Ideally just do both, you dont need to drop any money making ochain as you can stop it at 90 and its good to go.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-07-21 07:04:49  
The point is that there are a couple of shields that offer similar (even if not as good, obviously) results to Ochain, whereas there is absolutely nothing that offers what Aegis offers, with its unique MDT2 stat.

If you're in a situation where you want to make your Paladin virtually immune to magic damage, there is but a single option: Aegis.

If you want to make your PLD very sturdy against physical damage from multiple targets, then Ochain is probably the best option, but there's a couple of other ones which offer pretty decent results.

Furthermore: Aegis you can just spend money on AH (or ambuscade) to buy all the necessary things. For Ochain you have to farm several tedious things with possible competition. Altough this will change depending on your server, I assume on Asura you could probably find someone mercing it for you, but even then it's clearly not as simple/fast as buying coins from the AH like you can do for Aegis.
By Ermah 2020-07-21 07:27:18  
I understand how to get them and that both are good, but from your experience as Paladin, which do you find yourself using more often for content such as Geas Fete NMs (Not HELMS), HTBFs, Dynamis, SR, things that can be duo'd.

Or which do you feel made a bigger difference in your ability to tank?
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-07-21 07:54:55  
Asura.Geriond said: »
Martel, are you planning on testing Forfend to see if there's a shield block damage cap?
Forfend's expected block dmg- would only be 55.5%. so it wouldn't be much help there. It may have a ton of defense, but it's a size 1 shield, so the base dmg- is only 20%.

If there were any 119 tower shields they would have been good candidates for testing...

Something else I'm noticing though...

looking at the changes to shields it seems like only the ilvl 119 shields got double defense. The lower the ilvl the less the defense increased.

For example, Steadfast shield, ilvl 113, only had it's defense increased by 70%. 50->85.

If it is SE's intention that the block dmg- remains the same, and that seems to be the case at leaast for the 119 shields, then the def to block dmg formula is going to have to change based on ilvl. For this shield it would have to be around def*0.3. although that would result in 25.5 rather than 25 even like before.
 Lakshmi.Aesyr
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Fallyn
By Lakshmi.Aesyr 2020-07-21 09:58:16  
Just starting to gear up my paladin; is there any stand-out pieces of reforge af/relic/emp that are a must before others? Are there any that are simply not worth grabbing at all?
 Ragnarok.Lowen
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2020-07-21 10:08:03  
AF body is real nice for fast cast. Most of the JA-enhancing ones are worth getting to at least +1. Some of the relic pieces are nice for weaponskills because of the +Attack.
[+]
By Raystorm 2020-07-21 11:05:19  
soralin said: »
Asura.Gotenn said: »
Rather than just keep editing my last post, I was looking into Emicho Haubert, hose, and gambieras. If your not trying too hard to stay near 3k (my above set is like 3040 hp without food) then Emicho body path B is a good pair to the hands. You lose 100 hp going out of odin body, but you get 5 DA + set bonus DA. I have Souveran in legs/feet because of the massive hp and cure received capped between those two, however you could change them out but I don't want my hybrid set to be 2600 hp. Yet another reason I was trying to fit in Srivatsa (+150 hp).

How are you making up for that massive loss in Damage Taken though?

We still want to have our PDT/MDT capped!

Souveran feet dont have accuracy, so they are kind of instantly out. For higher tier content we need all the acc we can get our hands on.

So this is my old hybrid set:

ItemSet 374473

And this is my new:

ItemSet 374471

218 Acc => 240 Acc (+22)

291 Att => 258 Att (-33)

43% DA => 43% DA (net 0)

2% TA => 0% TA (-2%)

635 HP => 898 HP (+263)

And going off DPS Spreadsheet on a higher tier target, it works out to aprox 6~7% more dps!

What is the augment on your Valorous and your cape?
 Sylph.Brahmsz
サーバ: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2020-07-21 11:10:50  
Hey Martel, thank you for doing the shield defense bonus testing, those results are very interesting. I'm assuming you used a standard PLD setup for your testing.

If 80% is the assumed cap, can you possibly test with Shield Defense Bonus + gear? There are two specific pieces of gear that come to mind, but I unfortunately don't have a Srivatsa yet to test. Chozoron Cosolette and Empyrean hands both have Shield Defense Bonus +3 for a combined +6.

ItemSet 366758
This is just a theorycrafting test build I put together for fun.
By soralin 2020-07-21 11:13:10  
Raystorm said: »
What is the augment on your Valorous and your cape?

Cape: PDT + Acc + Acc + Double Attack

Valorous: Double Attack or Store TP both are close matches, I think on the new set Store Tp wins (it pushes us up to the next x hit tier)
 Shiva.Flowen
サーバ: Shiva
user: Flowen255
By Shiva.Flowen 2020-07-21 11:15:20  
And this is my new:

Pld Hybrid Fixed

218 Acc => 240 Acc (+22)

291 Att => 258 Att (-33)

43% DA => 43% DA (net 0)

2% TA => 0% TA (-2%)

635 HP => 898 HP (+263)

Nice upgrades. I love a good hybrid set!

I put this together:

ItemSet 374531

It has higher multiattack (R15 Sailfi) but a little less STP, higher acc, a bit more HP and a welcome chunk of regen, +5% block rate from resin aug and a whopping +162 MEva over your new set.

Downside is farming the volte of course lol
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-07-21 12:25:22  
Sylph.Brahmsz said: »
Hey Martel, thank you for doing the shield defense bonus testing, those results are very interesting. I'm assuming you used a standard PLD setup for your testing.

If 80% is the assumed cap, can you possibly test with Shield Defense Bonus + gear? There are two specific pieces of gear that come to mind, but I unfortunately don't have a Srivatsa yet to test. Chozoron Cosolette and Empyrean hands both have Shield Defense Bonus +3 for a combined +6.

ItemSet 366758
This is just a theorycrafting test build I put together for fun.
If the goal of said test is to determine if shield defense bonus(hereafter SDB) is separate from or exceeds that possible 80% cap, then it is already clear that it does.

All the the results I just posted were corrected for PLD's native SDB IV trait first. So all those 80% values were higher than that before adjusting them to correct for SDB. Mostly in the 83~84% range pre SDB correction.

And I do actually have a Srivatsa SDB gear +6 test I did before I discovered how DB actually works. But I'm not sure what you're expecting to learn from it now.
By soralin 2020-07-21 12:29:34  
Shiva.Flowen said: »

I put this together:

ItemSet 374531

It has higher multiattack (R15 Sailfi) but a little less STP, higher acc, a bit more HP and a welcome chunk of regen, +5% block rate from resin aug and a whopping +162 MEva over your new set.

Do you have the volte gear?

I would rank volte gear about the same as Tartarus Platemail

You will probably never see it without a dedicated group specifically farming it for you.

As for +5% block rate, dont, for Aegis/Ochain it will translate to +0% block rate.

However, what you do want is +5% parry rate then.

+Parry rate applies after the floor, whereas +block rate applies before its floor (for some weird reason)

So +block rate gear is typically useless if you arent using an ilvl shield.

You can drop a Moonlight ring for a Gelatinous Ring +1, you lose the acc/StP, but it caps your DT without needing to rely on cape.

Volte gear + Hjarrandi is without a doubt the ideal setup, but its going to be extremely unlikely you ever see it.

If you already have it though, damn, grats!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-07-21 13:04:57  
As for +5% block rate, dont, for Aegis/Ochain it will translate to +0% block rate.
Even with reprisal up, Ochain does not automatically cap block rate on everything. Against sufficiently high level mobs there is still value in having additional block+.

Also, from a DD PLD perspective every hit parried is a hit you didn't get to block, and get shield mastery TP for. Parrying is actively detrimental to your TP gain unless you're /RUN. And even then shield mastery is much better TP gain than /RUN tactical parry. so it's till a tp gain nerf compared to blocking.

In terms of dmg reduction blocked hits are very likely to hit 0 anyway with phalanx up. So I don't see that parry holds much advantage unless your block rate is nonexistent. So Aegis.

Personally, I don't think a parry+ cape is worth the inventory- on PLD.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Lowen
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2020-07-21 13:22:40  
I will say, on the topic on blocking for TP, that I felt some oddness the other night when I was trying to farm Omen on PLD. It felt like a significant number of my blocks weren't actually giving me TP. Made AE cleaving feel real weird.
By Nariont 2020-07-21 13:26:40  
could be that you had a form of SS going? If you have any form of SS up, such as say whm cureskin, blocked hits for 0 will give 0 tp
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-07-21 13:39:53  
I feel like the bigger issue in Omen is usually getting all the little *** to actually stay in front of me(Stupid treeline zone edges...) but..

Yeah stoneskin/cureskin can cause issues there. If you're using the Yorn-Oran trust iirc he uses solace/cureskin.
 Shiva.Flowen
サーバ: Shiva
user: Flowen255
By Shiva.Flowen 2020-07-21 13:51:03  
Shiva.Flowen said: »

I put this together:

ItemSet 374531

Do you have the volte gear?

I would rank volte gear about the same as Tartarus Platemail

You will probably never see it without a dedicated group specifically farming it for you.

However, what you do want is +5% parry rate then.

+Parry rate applies after the floor, whereas +block rate applies before its floor (for some weird reason)

So +block rate gear is typically useless if you arent using an ilvl shield.

You can drop a Moonlight ring for a Gelatinous Ring +1, you lose the acc/StP, but it caps your DT without needing to rely on cape.

Volte gear + Hjarrandi is without a doubt the ideal setup, but its going to be extremely unlikely you ever see it.

If you already have it though, damn, grats!

Yeah I disagree with your comment on parry. Martel mentions good reasons why above and i'll add there's no reason the set cant be used with an ilvl shield especially being a hybrid set.

As for volte, you can farm wave 2 nms and wave 2 boss with 3 players. It's still a very hard set to obtain of course, but nice upgrades to your current/something to aim for.
 Ragnarok.Lowen
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2020-07-21 15:11:01  
Nariont said: »
could be that you had a form of SS going? If you have any form of SS up, such as say whm cureskin, blocked hits for 0 will give 0 tp
Ragnarok.Martel said: »
I feel like the bigger issue in Omen is usually getting all the little *** to actually stay in front of me(Stupid treeline zone edges...) but..

Yeah stoneskin/cureskin can cause issues there. If you're using the Yorn-Oran trust iirc he uses solace/cureskin.

Doi, totally forgot Yoran has cureskin.
First Page 2 3 ... 91 92 93 ... 137 138 139