~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
First Page 2 3 ... 89 90 91 ... 137 138 139
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-07-14 10:27:27  
SimonSes said: »
You are underestimate the value of Store TP and overestimate the value of multi attack and crit damage.

8 STP, 3 PDL is not going to beat out 4TA, 6 crit damage, 36-56 attack, especially when the STP is mitigated by the loss of the multistrike, and youre hard pressed to get benefit out of the PDL given you lost 36-56 att. Thats not even getting into the STR loss.

Its not even going to be a small loss of DPS, its going to be noticable to the player.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-07-14 10:28:19  
Tauret/Shining One/Naegling are all viable, meta, non-rema weapons, as are a lot of SU5s.
 Ragnarok.Martel
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-07-14 10:30:04  
I would also note that there's no way to tell from the buff itself if it was afterglow from a shield, or a weapon. Or even which shield. So it would be exceedingly awkward to code gearswap rues for hybrid sets around it.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Lowen
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2020-07-14 10:32:52  
What's really funny to me is this entire chain of nonsense was kicked off by someone suggesting that afterglow'd Ochain helps make PLD more attractive than RUN
[+]
 Valefor.Yandaime
サーバ: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2020-07-14 10:45:22  
Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
Tauret/Shining One/Naegling are all viable, meta, non-rema weapons, as are a lot of SU5s.
but I JUST said...
Valefor.Yandaime said: »
I mean I guess it could be helpful for the DDs that don't have an REMA weapon? But they're either going to have very good Hybrid sets/React files that will cap their DTs anyway or they'll have literally nothing at all making the meager "Shield Glow" meaningless either way.
Perhaps I'll try elaborating. Players have a tendency to either be good or just bad. If they are capable of making those weapons good, they almost certainly will have capped DT sets already. ESPECIALLY THF and SAM for being famously squishy. So in the case of the good player, Shield Glow is worthless due to your efforts being wasted. And in the case of the bad player, Shield Glow is still worthless because they're not gonna have any DT at all and the Death Move will just flatten them regardless.

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
I would also note that there's no way to tell from the buff itself if it was afterglow from a shield, or a weapon. Or even which shield. So it would be exceedingly awkward to code gearswap rues for hybrid sets around it.
Also this, how on Earth would you even know that you had the Shield Glow even if you wanted to try to utilize it? And what happens when you have a mixture of DDs and equipment? Certainly you'd never tell the REMA DD to not use his/her best WS so you could give the group a tiny PDT/MDT boost?

Ragnarok.Lowen said: »
What's really funny to me is this entire chain of nonsense was kicked off by someone suggesting that afterglow'd Ochain helps make PLD more attractive than RUN
So true.. Idk, I figured I'd at least TRY to offer some reason. But oh well, it probably can't be helped.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-07-14 11:06:56  
Unless you have 50% DT, neither of the buffs are wasted. Even with "proper DT sets", you arent going to be sitting in 50% DT.
 Valefor.Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2020-07-14 12:19:04  
Unless you have 50% DT, neither of the buffs are wasted.

Sigh.. this is hilarious and depressing at the same time(Deprarious?) so this will be my last swing at this.

It will almost always be wasted because...
  • Any DD with an REMA will constantly be overwriting your buff.

• Any player worth his or her salt will have a full DT set on a goddamned macro or hotkey ready to go at a moment's notice. Many of them will even have one specialized for Magical Attacks complete with a Shadow Ring on top of all of that and the players that are the most meticulous will have a dedicated React file or Lua code to nix the whole thing entirely.

• Non-Combatants almost always have a full DT set as their Idle set by default.

• Said Non-Combatants (Except GEO)shouldn't be standing within 10' of the PLD in the first damn place, like why are you even there?!?

tldr; the benefits of the Shield Glow are so narrow/esoteric (There's a better word for this) that in order for them to bear fruit would call the competency of your group into question because it really only benefits the unprepared.

Even with "proper DT sets", you arent going to be sitting in 50% DT.
And you trapped yourself here...
  • MDT is easily capped because of Shell V(29% MDT) leaving only 21/22% to be covered by the player. There are some fights that wipe Shell but these are prepared for and Shell is always put up immediately after being wiped so being vulnerable to a follow-up magical attack isn't likely. Even without Shell V, this still isn't hard to cap as most players are pushing more and more Raw DT into their sets these days

• Every job under the sun can cap PDT with ease, especially today and is usually done with only swapping out a handful of pieces and a couple rings, no real need to use a FULL TURTLE set unless you expect to tank or you just wanna give your WHM a heart attack (Guilty pleasure of mine when playing WAR is to spike my HP to 4200 in my full DT set just to keep my WHM on his/her toes lol)

• Raw DT only uniquely guards against Breath and "Needle" attacks which are still very rare to see in game at the moment. But your "Shield Glow" will do nothing at all to help with these so...

Also, most jobs can fully cap raw DT now as well. I think all jobs can now?
  • Heavy Jobs get a mixture of Hjarrandi/Souveran/Sulevia to Full-Cap on a dime.

• Middle Weight jobs get a hefty 31% from Malignance Set alone but even without 5/5 they get tons of options to cap DT in a number of ways. MNK in particular gets DT -6 from it's best Belt from AH.

• Light Weights/Mages probably get the most options of all for capping DT. Hell, just using Malignance Pole and D Ring puts you at 30% DT in two slots for WHM.

Like how on earth did you come up with this statement?
 Sylph.Banhammer
サーバ: Sylph
user: Banhammer
By Sylph.Banhammer 2020-07-14 12:33:11  
I could get behind adding sphere effects to ilv 119 shields. 119 aegis/ochain and leave them how they are. Add new more dynamic and situational effects/stats to the new stuff. Shields with regain/magic evasion/cure potency received/-enmity spheres would be pretty neato.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-07-14 12:36:13  
Because its a fact? You arent going to be sitting in 50% DT at all times. Even if you want to argue "but its on a macro", you arent going to hit that macro 10/10 times. Youre always susceptible to chip damage, and any free DT is free DT and an easier job on your backline to keep you alive.

And not everyone has a rema weapon, or uses a rema weapon. Ambu weapons and SU5s are on par, or in some cases flat out better than the rema available to the job anwyay.
 Valefor.Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2020-07-14 12:46:16  
Sylph.Banhammer said: »
I could get behind adding sphere effects to ilv 119 shields. 119 aegis/ochain and leave them how they are. Add new more dynamic and situational effects/stats to the new stuff. Shields with regain/magic evasion/cure potency received/-enmity spheres would be pretty neato.

I like this idea better. Genuine sphere effects would be pretty good and wouldn’t be hampered by weapons so that’d work nicely.

A sphere effect with enmity down would be especially helpful for PLD.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Lowen
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2020-07-14 13:01:34  

The problem with this idea is that any shield not named Ochain has a pathetic block rate, even with Reprisal up. At that point you may as well not even have a shield equipped.

The first thing they should have done in terms of PLD adjustments was fix block rate+ to work like Inquatarta.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-07-14 13:06:41  
Valefor.Yandaime said: »

I like this idea better. Genuine sphere effects would be pretty good and wouldn’t be hampered by weapons so that’d work nicely.

A sphere effect with enmity down would be especially helpful for PLD.
Hm, interesting, but a few issues. For alliance content you tend to have a tank party, or at least my shell does for dynamis D. I don't believe sphere effects are cross party when in an alliance, so the people you need to hit with that enmity- aren't going to get it.

Second, should you have a co tank, and I often do in divergence, you'll be nerfing their enmity gain with your sphere.

In single party, solo tank, content it would be pretty cool. But I would want some way to decide if I want the effect up aside from just equipping the shield.
[+]
 Valefor.Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2020-07-14 13:11:38  
Hmmm good point....

Sphere.. Magic then? PLD only? :P
Lol that’s not a serious idea, it’d be flirting with the GEO Role.
By SimonSes 2020-07-14 13:13:35  
You are underestimate the value of Store TP and overestimate the value of multi attack and crit damage.

8 STP, 3 PDL is not going to beat out 4TA, 6 crit damage, 36-56 attack, especially when the STP is mitigated by the loss of the multistrike, and youre hard pressed to get benefit out of the PDL given you lost 36-56 att. Thats not even getting into the STR loss.

Its not even going to be a small loss of DPS, its going to be noticable to the player.

I havent said Malignance is better, I said the loss in dps is low and it is. In case of items you mentioned (adhemar HQ head vs Malignance)

I should probably check for SU5 or Ambu weapon instead of Veret and Godhands, since Aftermath issues. That being said Ambu and SU5 would have even lower loss, so it doesnt matter.

Veret, Impetus up, Chaos/Sam, capped attack, AM3, Vsmite at 1000TP+:
Adhemar HQ B: 10934 dps
Malignance head: 10751 dps

So yes, Adhemar B is better, but by 1.7%

Now funny thing, that I havent even expected
Godhands, Impetus down, Footwork up, chaos/sam, capped attack, Tornado Kick at 2000:
Adhemar HQ B: 9452 dps
Malignance head: 9468 dps

Yep, Malignance is actually marginally a dps gain for that setup XD

I can already predict your response "Sheet is wrong, what I feel is more accurate" :)
[+]
 Sylph.Banhammer
By Sylph.Banhammer 2020-07-14 13:22:18  
Yeah I'm not really trying to solve the PLD problem, which in my experience is generating enough enmity to keep mobs off DPS.

Just create some reason to move away from the Aegis/Ochain duopoly in every situation.

Priwen is the closest thing they've gotten to getting creative with a shield and it just tries to mimic Ochain.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-07-14 13:31:23  

I havent said Malignance is better, I said the loss in dps is low and it is. In case of items you mentioned (adhemar HQ head vs Malignance)

I should probably check for SU5 or Ambu weapon instead of Veret and Godhands, since Aftermath issues. That being said Ambu and SU5 would have even lower loss, so it doesnt matter.

Veret, Impetus up, Chaos/Sam, capped attack, AM3, Vsmite at 1000TP+:
Adhemar HQ B: 10934 dps
Malignance head: 10751 dps

So yes, Adhemar B is better, but by 1.7%

Now funny thing, that I havent even expected
Godhands, Impetus down, Footwork up, chaos/sam, capped attack, Tornado Kick at 2000:
Adhemar HQ B: 9452 dps
Malignance head: 9468 dps

Yep, Malignance is actually marginally a dps gain for that setup XD

I can already predict your response "Sheet is wrong, what I feel is more accurate" :)

Sheets wrong. Theres zero chance that is in any way, shape, or form, accurate. And you cannot tell me, with a straight face, that it is, and expect me to take you seriously. Just from the raw stats you lose swapping over. 8 STP and at best pulling out some miracle and getting the 3% damage increase while also having less att from gear to work with isnt going to come close to everything else you got from adhemar without getting spammed with debuffs. Especially with impetus up, the 6% crit damage bonus will beat out the 3% damage bonus alone.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-07-14 13:49:08  
Go argue about MNK dps in the MNK thread.
Yeah I'm not really trying to solve the PLD problem, which in my experience is generating enough enmity to keep mobs off DPS.

Just create some reason to move away from the Aegis/Ochain duopoly in every situation.

Priwen is the closest thing they've gotten to getting creative with a shield and it just tries to mimic Ochain.
Just of curiosity, why do you want to move away from Aegis/Ochain?
[+]
By Taint 2020-07-14 13:50:35  
He’s obviously trolling at this point.

Shields AG effects are 99.8% useless there is no changing that. This game is mathed to death.
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-07-14 13:50:51  
Sheets wrong. Theres zero chance that is in any way, shape, or form, accurate. And you cannot tell me, with a straight face, that it is, and expect me to take you seriously. Just from the raw stats you lose swapping over. 8 STP and at best pulling out some miracle and getting the 3% damage increase while also having less att from gear to work with isnt going to come close to everything else you got from adhemar without getting spammed with debuffs. Especially with impetus up, the 6% crit damage bonus will beat out the 3% damage bonus alone.

Ok maybe I should try to explain this to you better. That will be a last try seriously. That might help you to understand.

Veret, Am3, Impetus up, Vsmite at 1000+ etc. :
No head at all: 10046DPS
Adhemar HQ B: 10934DPS
Malignance: 10751DPS

So Adhemar in this example is in fact better. Looking at just DPS added by both head pieces, Adhemar is better by 26%. So in vacuum Adhemar is much better. The problem that you dont understand is that 26% more dps added by Adhemar is only 1.7% more for overall total dps. If you dont understand this now, I dont know how to explain it better.

EDIT: Sorry Martel and other Paladins. That was my last offtop comment in that discussion.
 Sylph.Banhammer
By Sylph.Banhammer 2020-07-14 14:18:24  
Ragnarok.Martel said: »
Go argue about MNK dps in the MNK thread.

Just of curiosity, why do you want to move away from Aegis/Ochain?

I'm not saying move away from it period, just add some reason to use other shields. You don't need an Aegis or Ochain in every situation but as it stands there is 0 reason not to use them in favor of something else.

You could create some pretty crazy shields that don't have to be better than Aegis or Ochain for their respective tasks. You COULD have a shield that gives All Weapon skills: Enmity +15, Sphere Enmity Down, All stats + for example. Would you equip that for Unity or Omen or Ambuscade? I would. Their idea that Srivatsa is a DPS shield is ridiculous.

They also need to keep adding new shields, something they just said themselves. So far, every shield for the past 10 years has failed to live up to Aegis and Ochain. It's pretty ridiculous honestly and they know it. That's why they haven't ilv'ed them.

I'm just spit balling ideas, not saying this is a fix of any sort or way. Literally saw the posts about AG shields and just posted an idea on a whim.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-07-14 14:25:21  
Its less that Srivatsa is the DPS shield and more that its the "kitchen sink" shield.

You have pretty much a Dring, 5% chance to straight annul damage, some enmity, high def, extra HP, MP, and a healthy dose of acc and att. You could probably easily swap out a piece of souv gear for that and put something else in its place without losing HP/enmity comparatively. That probably can account for something, not that i know what.

The only real issue i see with srivatsa is that aegis is just too strong in general, and needed to tank specific fights due to how much it reduces magical damage.

If nothing else, Srivatsa is probably the "fun" shield. Ochains niche is the MP battery that blocks all the time, aegis floors magic damage. Srivatsa just tries to be the all in one shield that doesnt do enough tank wise with its gimmick.
 Ragnarok.Lowen
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2020-07-14 14:31:20  
Without Ochain or Aegis, you're taking more damage than a RUN. No other shield will ever be able to compete until they do something to let non-Ochain shields reach a reasonable block rate. It doesn't matter what kind of nifty effects you put on other shields when at the end of the day, Ochain (and to a lesser extent, Aegis) is the only thing keeping PLD even remotely comparable to RUN as a tank in the defensive sense of the word.
 Sylph.Banhammer
By Sylph.Banhammer 2020-07-14 14:42:02  
Why do you care so much about block rate when anything dangerous is spamming TP ability and magic anyways?
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-07-14 14:49:25  
Why do you care so much about block rate when anything dangerous is spamming TP ability and magic anyways?

In all fairness, Srivatsa is supposed to be the more DD leaning sword.... and shield blocking is a big part of pld TP gen, due to constant actions instead of swinging sword. It focuses a lot on defense just to give acc and att, but doesnt help the main issue of pld TP gen isnt that great if youre constantly casting spells.
 Shiva.Eightball
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2020-07-14 15:05:43  

Because Ochain can block physical tp moves.

Edit: any shield can block tp moves but ochain has the highest chance.
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-07-14 15:21:16  
Shiva.Eightball said: »

Also blocking physical tp move, blocks all debbufs that this tp move can apply.
 Shiva.Eightball
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2020-07-14 15:28:40  
Shiva.Eightball said: »

Also blocking physical tp move, blocks all debbufs that this tp move can apply.

Yes, as long as you block all hits on that tp move, which is why high blockrate on Ochain is so good for pretty much anything not requiring Aegis.
 Pandemonium.Zeto
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2020-07-14 15:29:05  
The shield mastery TP does add up. Also most of the scary stuff in W3 is physical since most player and by extension Volte WSs are physical. Blocking stuff like Camlann's Torment is very nice.
[+]
 Bismarck.Firedemon
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2020-07-14 17:28:24  
Oh look, yet another rantfest by Nyaarun wherein which he argues something that’s so awfully wrong it’s almost funny. Stop feeding into it, that horse has been dead for a long *** time.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 89 90 91 ... 137 138 139