フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » ~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
First Page 2 3 ... 50 51 52 ... 136 137 138
 Asura.Elazar
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Elazar1
By Asura.Elazar 2018-10-05 13:11:45  
Another reason the guide has died most of us career plds have moved over to runefencer.
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2018-10-16 01:25:37  
Asura.Elazar said: »
Another reason the guide has died most of us career plds have moved over to runefencer.

Is it wrong that I feel negatively about paladin these days? When I came back to FFXI in 2017 I had every intention of playing the job as my main and that hasn't happened. It feels like rune fencer simply does more (tanking AND dps!) and Odyllic Subterfuge + RUN status resist/meva offer more to groups, and I use my puppetmaster for single-target fights, which is FAR tougher than any paladin.

Paladin isn't bad but we don't have exciting stuff going on either, and that sucks.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-16 01:27:39  
RUN completely took over everything that PLD did

It's also unreasonably close to eliminating all DD from the game. Cause why be a paper DD when you can be totally unkillable and put out comparable numbers.
[+]
 Shiva.Humpo
サーバ: Shiva
user: Humpo
By Shiva.Humpo 2018-10-16 10:22:12  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Ragnarok.Martel said: »
Hmm. this prompted me to actually look at the OP for the first time in possibly years.

I think basically every set in the OP is spectacularly out of date at this point. And probably needs a whole new section for High HP variant sets.

That's most of the guides dood. Someone writes em up, and quits. Touched up occasionally, months in between.

This one isn't actually that bad. I forget if it was RNG or THF, but one of those guides still thinks the level cap is 95.
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2018-10-16 10:30:05  
As fun as PLD was around the beginning of Omen era, it really is totally outshined by RUN. This coming from a career paladin that doesnt even have RUN.

I can't think of much of any content that a RUN can't do that you would want a PLD.

RUN with DD/Gambit/Rayke/Hate control is just far superior
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2018-10-16 10:32:22  
Asura.Gotenn said: »
I'm going to put this out there so people don't have to search, here are the current sets I'm using. There are plenty of upgrades but to give people and idea of what to look for:

ItemSet 361825

ItemSet 361826

ItemSet 361827
Note: I have Weatherspoon ring for RNG.

ItemSet 361828

ItemSet 361830
This set should cast on top of your precast enmity set. If your worried that you'll be missing enmity in the open slots, you can fill it in fully with your enmity gear.

ItemSet 361831
Dualism collar to offset the loss of HP from mantle.

All of these sets are designed to keep you at or above 3000 hp, the only of which is Phalanx that drops me the most (2999 hp no food), all others are only ~100 loss. My engaged/supertank hp is 3141.
(edit: typo)

Am I missing something in your supertank set? I'm only counting 45% PDT in that set? or is it assumed that you'd make up the other 5% with a weapon?

Nevermind, is the Souv set bonus.
[+]
 Bismarck.Firedemon
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2018-10-16 10:37:58  
Set bonus: 8 dt
Ammo/body/rings/legs: 31 dt
belt/feet: 9 pdt

That's 48% there not including any augments.

You found it.
By Ulgar 2018-10-16 14:27:52  
Bismarck.Firedemon said: »
Set bonus: 8 dt
Ammo/body/rings/legs: 31 dt
belt/feet: 9 pdt

That's 48% there not including any augments.

You found it.

I love it.
 Lakshmi.Watusa
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Watusa
By Lakshmi.Watusa 2018-10-17 02:02:19  
What's the non-Burtgang sword of choice for tanking? I'm using a capped Brilliance at the moment, wondering if there's anything better out there?

Second question, I'm in the process of acquiring all the Souveran +1 gear. Besides a second body for idle, is C-path pretty much standard for all pieces?
 Alexander.Humpo
サーバ: Alexander
By Alexander.Humpo 2018-10-17 06:50:42  
Lakshmi.Watusa said: »
What's the non-Burtgang sword of choice for tanking? I'm using a capped Brilliance at the moment, wondering if there's anything better out there?

Second question, I'm in the process of acquiring all the Souveran +1 gear. Besides a second body for idle, is C-path pretty much standard for all pieces?

Brilliance or Nixxer are two non-Burtgang swords of choice. I fancy my Brilliance more than Nixxer. Excal can be "ok" for soloing to add some DPS, but really isn't that great for tanking.

Yes, C Path for Souveran. Unless (maybe) you are doing some weird WAR DPS Hybrid set.. (IDK WAR)

Random side note: I actually prefer AF1+3 feet over Sov+1 in some cases. Convert damage to MP is a nice little bonus.
 Remora.Hyriu
サーバ: Remora
user: Hyriu
By Remora.Hyriu 2018-10-17 08:13:43  
Alexander.Humpo said: »

Brilliance or Nixxer are two non-Burtgang swords of choice. I fancy my Brilliance more than Nixxer. Excal can be "ok" for soloing to add some DPS, but really isn't that great for tanking.

Yes, C Path for Souveran. Unless (maybe) you are doing some weird WAR DPS Hybrid set.. (IDK WAR)

Random side note: I actually prefer AF1+3 feet over Sov+1 in some cases. Convert damage to MP is a nice little bonus.

But I've never seen you on PLD.
 Ragnarok.Martel
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2018-10-17 09:29:54  

D path hands are also nice for the +15 shield skill and 4% PDT. Less HP than C path and no enmity though. Personally, I just have sets of +1 hands so I can use each where appropriate.
 Asura.Gotenn
user: Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2018-10-17 11:36:47  
I use path D on my hands as well, and I tend to tank in my Excalibur. I really love putting up AM getting en extra 30 hp/3mp a tick when I'm /blu to help keep my mp up. I'll probally R15 it first for the shield block rate. Burtgang is far down the road for me, I have to finish the current mythic I'm on.
 Shiva.Humpo
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Humpo 2018-10-17 12:52:46  
Remora.Hyriu said: »
Alexander.Humpo said: »

But I've never seen you on PLD.

I have it.. its there, under 5 or 6 months of dust..
 Lakshmi.Watusa
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Watusa
By Lakshmi.Watusa 2018-10-17 13:51:23  
I use path D on my hands as well, and I tend to tank in my Excalibur. I really love putting up AM getting en extra 30 hp/3mp a tick when I'm /blu to help keep my mp up. I'll probally R15 it first for the shield block rate. Burtgang is far down the road for me, I have to finish the current mythic I'm on.

Is Excal even a viable option for endgame though? I was going to assume PLD wouldn’t even be able to sufficiently build TP on NMs to proc aftermath.
 Asura.Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2018-10-17 14:02:53  

Is Excal even a viable option for endgame though? I was going to assume PLD wouldn’t even be able to sufficiently build TP on NMs to proc aftermath.

Oh yeah I cant hit crap in my tanking gear. Luckily Shield mastery got my back
 Asura.Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2018-10-17 20:16:04  
Just killed the Tarutaru Wave 3 Windy boss, few things to note

Energy Drain is the bane of your existance.
Luckly I had a rdm and bard to give me refresh to keep hate.

Still tanked the whole fight in Ochain, magic was hitting me for about 400 dmg

If your tanking W3 on PLD, best advice to keep hate on circles, run up and Jettatura up close, run back to 20 yalms, Sentinel, then flash the circle.
You will supertank the add, keep hate the circle and gain the love of your party for stopping the aoes (since your out of range).
 Bahamut.Glizdus
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Gli2duS
By Bahamut.Glizdus 2018-10-19 06:39:59  
I'm going to put this out there so people don't have to search, here are the current sets I'm using. There are plenty of upgrades but to give people and idea of what to look for:

ItemSet 361826

I can understand path D hands in other sets, but why You use them in Enmity set instead of path C?
 Asura.Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2018-10-20 16:33:36  
Mostly because I dont have two sets of hands, and don't have comparable hands to keep my HP high. So either a second Path D, or Relic +3 hands would be better. Just havent made them myself.
 Asura.Manticore
user: Manticore
By Asura.Manticore 2018-10-30 19:29:18  
Hello PLD's! I have been trying to use Bokura's PLD LUA for gearswap but I am having a tough time understanding how to cycle through different sets like triggering the ochain set etc. Any tips for this or possibly a different LUA I should be using that is up to date?
By Dsuza 2018-11-04 07:32:46  
Hey guys, I hope you have been well.

I have decided to update my PLD after not doing so in a long time.

I realize the first page is not up to date as far as it goes with BiS sets for different situations.

Is there another up to date guide somewhere else, like BG or something?

Also I would also appreciate if someone could post some BiS sets when they have time. I noticed Goten posted some above, but I noticed he said there could be "plenty of upgrades" so I am curious on what those upgrades are, and what to aim for in those sets he posted.

Thank you very much in advance for your time and help
 Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin 2018-11-04 10:53:30  
Dsuza said: »
Hey guys, I hope you have been well.

I have decided to update my PLD after not doing so in a long time.

I realize the first page is not up to date as far as it goes with BiS sets for different situations.

Is there another up to date guide somewhere else, like BG or something?

Also I would also appreciate if someone could post some BiS sets when they have time. I noticed Goten posted some above, but I noticed he said there could be "plenty of upgrades" so I am curious on what those upgrades are, and what to aim for in those sets he posted.

Thank you very much in advance for your time and help

You could plug some things in that are better objectively, but those sets are pretty solid benchmarks. I've had no issues tanking anything in the game with less. Only real thing I see is maybe moonbeam backpiece will give more hp than jse. Thing is, jse is not far off, is cheaper, and can have some nice buffs that moonbeam does not have.
By Afania 2018-11-04 11:14:01  
Asura.Toralin said: »
As fun as PLD was around the beginning of Omen era, it really is totally outshined by RUN. This coming from a career paladin that doesnt even have RUN.

I can't think of much of any content that a RUN can't do that you would want a PLD.

Afaik certain move, such as canopierce, is still better tanked with pld.

If mob needs one time powerful resist with multiple element then fealty is probably more reliable than runes+pflug. Although I don't have number to back up.

For DD tanking, blm setup, rapid hate generation in ambu, smn zerg, run is probably better. Basically what gives run advantage is its versatility in current content.

And it's "good enough" to get things done if situation favors the other tank type so people can lv RUN and get everything covered.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2018-11-04 11:56:23  
Afania said: »
people can lv RUN and get everything covered.
Bingo.

I just wish they shared more gear/RUN wasn't on the complete opposite side of the spectrum when it comes to gear. Doesn't take too long to gear thankfully for tanking purpose but the DD part is quite a different world.
By Gorion 2018-11-04 12:56:41  
Quote:
Hello PLD's! I have been trying to use Bokura's PLD LUA for gearswap but I am having a tough time understanding how to cycle through different sets like triggering the ochain set etc. Any tips for this or possibly a different LUA I should be using that is up to date?

at the lower part of the lua is an explanation.
it uses a toggle for shields.
//gs c Command , could be C1 for acc, or C2 for shield
can also macro /console gs c C2 , C7 etc
 Cerberus.Hokuten
user: Hokuten85
By Cerberus.Hokuten 2018-11-15 08:28:44  
Anyone have updated Chant du Cygne and Savage Blade sets or is the front page still accurate for those? My group isn't end game yet, we are still working through middle tier Escha/Reisen NMs, but we've decided to start playing around with PLD a bit to see how much we can get away with. None of our jobs are perfect, but with mostly Ambuscade gear we've gotten our PLD to put out damage similar to our COR while maintaining high DT. We are sacrificing HP to do so, but the content we are doing doesn't require high HP yet.
By Voren 2018-11-22 01:41:07  
Cerberus.Hokuten said: »
Anyone have updated Chant du Cygne and Savage Blade sets or is the front page still accurate for those? My group isn't end game yet, we are still working through middle tier Escha/Reisen NMs, but we've decided to start playing around with PLD a bit to see how much we can get away with. None of our jobs are perfect, but with mostly Ambuscade gear we've gotten our PLD to put out damage similar to our COR while maintaining high DT. We are sacrificing HP to do so, but the content we are doing doesn't require high HP yet.

The listed CDC set still looks optimal when fully augmented with path B (acc+100, dex+40, Crit rate +15% total). This along with the set bonus of +10% weapons skill damage and the incredible amount of DEX on 4/5 pieces should make CdC pump out some decent numbers.

This is just from comparing on paper, I don't have Lustratio NQ or +1 and doubt I'll ever have it (42,000,000 for +1 full set on Asura). I'm using Sulevia's for the foreseeable future.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2018-11-30 03:17:33  
Hi.

This DM campaign i wasnt blessed with the WSD10 augment on valorous, the most notable augment i got was a sucessful block+7 on valorous leg what i kept.

So it got me wondering if you can achieve block rate 100%. Plus if its possible to get that without reprisal.

Another question about DM, whats the cap of sucessful block rate and if its worth aiming for a sucessful block rate set (im considering the use only for cleaving purposes).

Thanks in advance
By Voren 2018-11-30 03:45:08  
Pantafernando said: »
So it got me wondering if you can achieve block rate 100%. Plus if its possible to get that without reprisal.

Got Ochain 90?
 Ragnarok.Martel
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2018-11-30 03:45:39  
Pantafernando said: »
Hi.

This DM campaign i wasnt blessed with the WSD10 augment on valorous, the most notable augment i got was a sucessful block+7 on valorous leg what i kept.

Another question about DM, whats the cap of sucessful block rate and if its worth aiming for a sucessful block rate set (im considering the use only for cleaving purposes).

Thanks in advance
The block+ DM aug caps out at +10. It's pretty significant. In all the DM campaigns I'd done, I've managed one good piece. But it was a really good one. +10 on legs.

I dunno about 'aiming' for it though. Seems really rare in my experience. I tend to to augment what ever slot has the most potential good augs. Like, once I got a phalanx+5 head, I moved on to another slot. Since it'd be a huge waste if I got another phalanx+5 there. And so on. So you might focus on another slot since you've already got +7 on legs and the chances of getting better than that are pretty low.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 50 51 52 ... 136 137 138