フォーラム » FFXI » Adoulin » Alluvion Skirmish - Yorcia
Alluvion Skirmish - Yorcia
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-02-22 11:58:57  
What kinda gear (and augments) were you using for this blu style?
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
サーバ: Sylph
user: Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2015-02-22 13:06:25  
It might also be worth noting that occasionally an Acuexe-type Escalant will spawn that seems to drop three +2 stones each time:

Might be easy for someone to farm the new dusk stones this way. They will often spawn on the very first floor. Currently they're going for 1mil+ a piece on Sylph.
 Sylph.Oraen
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-02-22 13:06:52  
I do the same as Highwynn, and I completely agree that this event basically screams blue mage. Subduction, deluge, thermal pulse, and charged whisker are your magic cleaving spells. Sinker drill and quad continuum destroy the butterflies. You should be dropping some DW to fit in defensive/utility, such as magic barrier, occultation, barrier tusk, magic fruit, and magic hammer. However, you do still want DW for 2 Gabaxorea path A clubs. He's not kidding about hammer's effectiveness, either. I was able to consistently gain 1.8k MP when the max MP buff was active. That completely invalidates the need for /rdm, so I'd suggest /whm for -nas and reraise or /sch.

Also, yes, subduction's gravity will stick on any mob that does not resist it, like the ice/wind eles. Lorissa can also be gravitied, making her an absolute joke.

My MAB set is very powerful, so if you don't have the same you won't be killing as quickly, but as long as it's decent, you should easily be able to contribute well. I have hagondes head/body/legs with MAB +25 or more augments and helios gloves/feet with MAB +25 and magic crit +8. Eddy necklace, yamabuki, cornflower cape, friomisi and crematio, and finally shiva +1 rings (fenrir +1 MIGHT be better, but I'm not sure, and the shiva +1 are superior for sanguine and flash nova anyways, at least from what I remember).
[+]
By mortontony1 2015-02-22 13:57:25  
Sylph.Kuwoobie said: »
It might also be worth noting that occasionally an Acuexe-type Escalant will spawn that seems to drop three +2 stones each time:

Might be easy for someone to farm the new dusk stones this way. They will often spawn on the very first floor. Currently they're going for 1mil+ a piece on Sylph.

Iirc someone posted a vid of them killing things on thf and I'm pretty sure I saw one of the butterflies drop some +2 stones as well.
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
user: Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2015-02-22 14:54:04  
The screenshot you see is from the video you mentioned. The video I posted.

It *appears* that the stones dropped from the butterflies, but that was just an illusion caused by bad timing. The stones dropped from an Acuexe mob someone in my party had killed at that exact same moment. The butterflies do not drop anything but fuel/motes for summoning minions.
By mortontony1 2015-02-22 14:58:05  
Sylph.Kuwoobie said: »
The screenshot you see is from the video you mentioned. The video I posted.

It *appears* that the stones dropped from the butterflies, but that was just an illusion caused by bad timing. The stones dropped from an Acuexe mob someone in my party had killed at that exact same moment. The butterflies do not drop anything but fuel/motes for summoning minions.

Ah right on
By Pantafernando 2015-02-22 17:21:13  
Someone is keeping check of monster weakness/strong?

At some point i called a bunch of colibris and had like 4 or 5 worms protecting my marshland, then 2 matamatas pratically destroyed all my colibris and made quite dmg against my worms.
By palladin9479 2015-02-23 05:39:50  
Pantafernando said: »
Someone is keeping check of monster weakness/strong?

At some point i called a bunch of colibris and had like 4 or 5 worms protecting my marshland, then 2 matamatas pratically destroyed all my colibris and made quite dmg against my worms.

Each of the different monsters has different strengths and weakness's. Your problem was you used colibri and worms instead of crabs and colibri. Worms are useless, seriously use those early points on crabs first the colibri as worms will not protect your base worth a damn. This is an event where the best defense is a better offense.

Order we summon
4~5 Crab, High defense, moderate HP, moderate speed, low attack (these guys are basically cannon fodder to slow the enemy down and buy you time)

3~5 Colibri OR 1 x Shinra, Colibri have low defense, low HP, fast speed, moderate attack, they are good at rushing out quickly to meet the incoming enemies, if they are alone they will be slaughtered but if you have crabs or the Shinra with them then they won't die as fast. The Shinra is basically your hero, they have super high defense, HP, speed and attack but you can't only have one of them out and if alone they will die. If they are supported by other mobs they kill stuff really fast and act as a center for your army.

Then whichever you didn't summon from above

Book Upgrade

3~4 Wyverns, these guys rock moderate defense, moderate HP, moderate speed, high attack, they are your shock troops and pretty much crush any resistance after you've stalled out their advance.

3~4 Coeurl, like Wyverns but lower attack and higher speed, they are as fast as colibri but have more HP and defense. Like Wyverns they come in to clean up the enemy.

3~4 Adamatoise, These guys have ridiculously high HP and defense, are moderate speed and moderate attack. Basically they are crab +1 but require book upgrades to summon and to be honest by the time you get to them you should already be winning the battle with your shock troops. Our guys summons these just cause we have extra points.

By the time I see the Wyverns running by I know we've already won the fight. On higher waves I like to hang back and Haste II / Pro / Shell the first few crabs and the Shinra when he pops. I'll then follow them and Cure IV the shinra to help keep them alive as we stall the enemy while our guy summons more stuff to the fight. It really becomes a battle of how quickly you can gather points and summon crabs to keep the monsters away long enough to summon more powerful mobs. Really can't stress how useless the worms are, by the time they start to do anything your base is already taking a beating and won't last long with all the aoe's happening.
[+]
By mortontony1 2015-02-23 05:46:14  
palladin9479 said: »
Worms are useless, seriously use those early points on crabs first the colibri as worms will not protect your base worth a damn. This is an event where the best defense is a better offense.

Woah wut
I've seen those worms absolutely wreck everything once they get to base.
By Pankas 2015-02-23 05:49:22  
Heya,
Question for Highwynn and Oraen, what is your Blue spell list when you run to do yorcia skirmish?If its is possible to share please. Much appreaciated
By palladin9479 2015-02-23 05:58:24  
mortontony1 said: »
palladin9479 said: »
Worms are useless, seriously use those early points on crabs first the colibri as worms will not protect your base worth a damn. This is an event where the best defense is a better offense.

Woah wut
I've seen those worms absolutely wreck everything once they get to base.

They are nothing compared to the other mobs, and most importantly the worms do not stop the enemy from attacking your base. All the enemy monsters have offensive moves that are aoe, so those moves hit the base even if the worms are present. We've had our base destroyed before even though we had six worms out around it. Worms are 80 points while crabs are double, each worm is half a crab you could of summoned and it only takes one crab to delay them long enough to get more points for the rest.

At lower waves it doesn't matter since the enemy comes slowly and you have a long time to build points up. On higher waves you have 10~20s until the first two accuex's arrive and start aoeing everything they find and very soon thereafter you'll get mata's and other mobs with plenty of aoe's. Your absolute best strategy is keep them as far from the base as possible, never allow them into aoe range. GEO's can help by putting their luopan out in the path, not sure about SMN's and BST's but they should be able to to do something similiar. If you cast a spell on the monsters you'll get hate temporarily and can kite them away, nothing you do will hurt them though, none of your enfeebles will land and they hit really hard so haul a$$ if your using this to buy time. They will forget about you soon enough but hopefully by then your book guy would have some stuff out.

Once we started using the above order, we were invincible and never got close to being beat. Even after our treasure list was at 10/10 items we could just keep doing infinite floors by focusing on keeping them out of aoe range.
 Valefor.Sapphire
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2015-02-23 06:20:01  
We've adjusted our strategy to just do 1 worm, then build more crabs to buy us time to get a shijin out (byakko/kirin/suzaku etc) and then follow up with 'colibri rush' since they move really fast and can close the distance from the marchland to stronghold quick.

We've had a few runs where there was hardly any escalents and we were simply point starved even with 4 people out roaming so we just pop the key and take what loot we can get.

Even if you have a build strategy you swear by, you can get a bad map with weak escalent spawns, and a stronghold either super far away or close which can play for or against you.

Kiting does work but it really depends on the quality of the player, i've had some people on 'stronghold/kite' duty that are really pro at it, and others that die 1-2 times a run and I have to swing by and see what the hell is going on.

Any decent player on escalent duty should be able to help tag the 1st tulfaire/mob rushing at the start and kite it away on the way to get points without dying to buy your base time.
[+]
By palladin9479 2015-02-23 06:33:11  
Yep that's why on higher waves I'll hang by the base. As RDM I can either buff the few crabs we get out, cast Pro / Shell on the base and kite the first few mobs away to buy time. What I've noticed with the fodder mobs is that they are like delve one mobs, there are more spawns then monsters. Sometimes you get a large map and they spawned far away, and that's when you gotta kite stuff for a short while. If you kill enough of them they tend to start respawning in other camps so it's best to have your nukers separate and run in different directions. Also on the first wave or two make sure to active all the bonus's cause on later floors you'll be able to use the noetics to get some quick points. Those have come in handy cause while the monster spawns may be far away, there is almost always a few NA's near the base to provide some needed points to get a few crabs out. If you can keep the mobs away from the base for the first minute you can always win.
By Pantafernando 2015-02-23 06:35:38  
Up till tier 3, ive been using 5 worms just to hold mobs to call shijin (btw, eudeamon blade is byakko, shield is genbu, and sash/cape should call suzuku/seiryu). It has been working, the only reason ive been losing is if i cant find in time the best camp of escalents.

I noticed the floors i did, there were at least 2 camps, one with a good amount of escalent but that does not respawn, and the main camp where there are the highest concentration of escalents, and possible lorissa. For me at least, the round can be hard/easy depending of how fast i can get to the main camp.

Btw, worms arent that weak. Their tremor deals lot of aoe dmg, they are specially stronger against acuex and my 5 worms basically raped a gallu that appeared out of nowhere once.

At least up till floor 3, after calling shijin, it wasnt necessary upgrading my book.
 Valefor.Sapphire
By Valefor.Sapphire 2015-02-23 07:30:49  
Has anyone figured out if the eudaemon item used biases the armor drops for a run?
I swear using a shield piece gives more acro/yorium (had 4 yorium hands in a pool+boots on 1 run wtf).
By palladin9479 2015-02-23 07:39:12  
Quote:
At least up till floor 3, after calling shijin, it wasnt necessary upgrading my book.

Tier 3 ..... that's piss easy crap, can do that with two people. An intellectually challenged monkey who randomly hit keys could beat that.

I'm talking tier 8+ when you have two mobs halfway to your camp when you start and you have 10~20s before they are beating down your base while dealing aoe damage. Any worms you have are useless because the aoe's are hitting the base. The only way to win is to stop the monsters before the reach your base and then force them back, for that you need to spend your first points on things that move and can take hits.

Quote:
Has anyone figured out if the eudaemon item used biases the armor drops for a run?
I swear using a shield piece gives more acro/yorium (had 4 yorium hands in a pool+boots on 1 run wtf).

As far as I can tell it's purely random. I'm sitting at 5/5 Arco, 4/5 Yori, 4/5 Teaon, and 4/5 Helios after doing it for six or seven hours the other day. We did nothing but T4 and T5's with blades and rings. From what we can see, every time you beat the stronghold there is a chance it ends the run, except if you've beaten the clown boss guy which then it just keeps going on forever. We had one run that was well past 30 minutes and we had lost count on the number of tiers. We only stopped because we noticed that for three maps the treasure pool wasn't growing and was at 10 personal items and 10 shared pool. So after finishing that floor we poped the key and left. Everytime after that we would end it after the pool reached 10, or if we didn't get the clown guy it would finish after 6~8 items in the shared / individual pool.
 Asura.Highwynn
サーバ: Asura
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-02-23 07:40:21  
Book person should be smn for sure or at worst, sch. Like i said earlier, hastega2 makes the valiants extremely powerful, and they live longer by being able to kill faster. Alternatively, sch can accession pro5 them, including pro5ing the Marchland(do it at start and it stays protected the entire run).
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2015-02-23 07:41:30  
Regardless of eudaemon item, Yorium appears to be the common drop.

One of the tricks to this skrimish is knowing beast affinity, it became apparent for us when enemy birds would destroy our crabs instantly.

Also funny thing to do with a geo present..in one of the earlier rounds when the initial spawns are delayed; run up to the stronghold and cast geo-paralysis on it. Recast it right when the first luopan is destroyed. It will keep the mobs stuck on their stronghold while your team is building up motes.

This will lead to quick early rounds when executed right.
[+]
By palladin9479 2015-02-23 07:53:53  
Asura.Highwynn said: »
Book person should be smn for sure or at worst, sch. Like i said earlier, hastega2 makes the valiants extremely powerful, and they live longer by being able to kill faster. Alternatively, sch can accession pro5 them, including pro5ing the Marchland(do it at start and it stays protected the entire run).

No book person can be anyone because they should NEVER leave the menu. They don't buff, they don't do jack except hit enter over and over again and summon massive waves of stuff. You can summon a monster every 2~3 seconds and if your nukers are any good at all, then the book guy will be getting thousands of points once they find the mobs. After the first few waves you don't have time for anything except Enter -> Enter -> Enter while someone else supports your troops.

Basically you have

General -> can be any job because they only do book

Nuker x3 -> BLM / SCH / RDM / GEO / BLU all work, they run around and just one shot elementals.

Melee / Nuker -> anyone that can take care of themselves, go around killing butterfly's, hitting NA's. Really this person isn't needed but I like to have a spot for friends and LS mates that don't normally have a good nuking job. This guy gets kind of important at later levels cause you need those free points from the NA's that will be near the base while the nukers are searching out the camps.

Nuker / Support -> RDM / SCH / GEO / SMN, nukes on early floors but after tier six or so they need to hang back and focus on supporting the base and defenders during the first few minutes when the enemy is zerg rushing you. Needs to know how to kite or use pets to buy time.

This event is extremely easy if people know what they are doing and coordinate, we were all on skype and executed the above strategy flawlessly. Everyone needs to know the sequence to summon things in if you get scattered. Whomever is near the book gets on it and immediately announces they are at it while the book guys heads towards them. Thankfully being scattered usually means someone is near a mob camp and can start immediately generating points to get the first few crabs out to stall.
 Valefor.Sapphire
By Valefor.Sapphire 2015-02-23 08:11:32  
biggest liability in this event is the person checking the stronghold and keeping an eye on your valiants to be terrible at giving status updates.
They have to tell the book person what the hell is going on. They need to not die, they need to have RR, they need to hit the cairn and 'floor up' asap, etc.

Have your valiants made it to the stronghold and are you chipping away at it?
Did your forces get wrecked or stopped on the way to the stronghold?
What kind of monsters are incoming? etc.
Is the stronghold almost dead and what %?

I mainly focus on scout/escalent duty and it drives me up the wall at how little some people doing stronghold duty give updates to the book person.
By palladin9479 2015-02-23 08:20:50  
That's why our book guy had a set routine which I outlined above. It works 100% of the time regardless of the situation. Crabs -> Shrina / Colibri -> Upgrade Book -> Wyverns / Coeurls -> Upgrade -> Books / Turtles. On any floor under six the stronghold is dead before the books or turtles even make it there. We would do a T5 run where we'd have a full drop inventory and port out in a little over seventeen minutes. The faster people can feed the book guy the faster it's over with. Whomever is on the book needs to forget about what job they are playing and live inside that menu, our dude was a DNC and never engaged or did anything but use the menus.
By Ramyrez 2015-02-23 09:02:05  
Terribly boring event.

Rak has been the only Skirmish event kind of enjoyable thus far, and even that's being kind of generous. The augment system has been utter *** trash since its inception with synergy all that time ago.

The random nature of it is just absolutely idiotic.
 Asura.Ajirha
サーバ: Asura
user: Ajirha
By Asura.Ajirha 2015-02-23 09:32:01  
We had Balamore poping once, next floor we saw like 20 mobs swarming us right off. is this a rare occurance or something "normal" ?

i was on the book, and up to the 5th wave of every run i have been doing the following :
crab, colibri, colibri, crab, crab colibri crab colibri shinra upgrade a few coeurl and adamantoise then upgrade again and then spam all i could.

I was wondering if something was wrong.
 Ragnarok.Ejiin
Guide Maker
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ejin
By Ragnarok.Ejiin 2015-02-23 09:39:03  
Ramyrez said: »
Terribly boring event.

Rak has been the only Skirmish event kind of enjoyable thus far, and even that's being kind of generous. The augment system has been utter *** trash since its inception with synergy all that time ago.

The random nature of it is just absolutely idiotic.

I don't know what event you're doing, but this one is far from boring compared to all the other Skirmishes, with tier5 body runs being especially exciting, challenging. Finally mages get an event to shine in while the melee DD have to sit back and watch.

They also vastly improved the augment system. While I'll never defend any type of random augment system because they all suck compared to fixed augments, this is about as good as it gets; can get maximum potency augment using nq and +1 stones, the pools are very small so you'll almost always see what you're looking for after a few attempts.

As icing on the cake, the gear and augments are amazing and worth investing in.
[+]
 Phoenix.Phaeon
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Phaeon
By Phoenix.Phaeon 2015-02-23 09:40:03  
Did this all weekend, and a few things of note:

-Oncoming mobs will attack pets but not players (assuming no offensive action), allowing you to spam elementals/luopans/whatever to draw their attention while you're setting up (really makes me with Dematerialize lasted longer). This has been mentioned before elsewhere, but seeing as people are posting about how they don't have enough time to set up defenses on things like the boss floor, I figured I'd point it out again.

-Your mobs can be cured/buffed. As RDM, I was only able to cast spells on them that would normally affect alliance members (pro/shell/haste/cure iv), but those spells are pretty useful, especially at the start. SMN is even better and their hastega/healing ruby can apparently hit all of the mobs nearby. Combined with their ability to distract mobs mentioned above, we've started bringing SMN to this event specifically to play mob doctor.

-Your mobs will attack any enemy unit if they're in range. You can aggro any large group of elementals/twitherym/lorissa and kite them back to your base, and your worms will cast 38k Stonegas on them. This isn't very efficient for farther away camps, but if they're close by or you don't have Gravity for Lorissa, this can be a very useful tactic.

-Having a BRD at the book to Ballad everyone at every jump has been extremely useful. I haven't had many problems with MP between Refresh II, Dark Arts, and Convert, but with ballads I basically always have full MP. As RDM without T5's unlocked, I've been mostly doing T4 -> T2 or T1 to kill any elemental without Blink up.

-There are usually 2 exits from the base. Splitting up is key. There are always more than 1 place Escalents spawn, and when they start disappearing from one camp, they're probably respawning in another. I'm fairly certain every time one is killed it respawns elsewhere, so you should never "run out". People that are having trouble finding enough on boss floors probably aren't looking hard enough. Every time it looks like we're not getting any escalents, someone finds an area full of them (though we don't always find them fast enough to salvage the floor... but that's another issue).

-2 mages is about the minimum I'd want to bring. I haven't had any problems going with party of (for example) thf nin pup smn rdm geo. So long as the mages split up and one of the melees is on the book, 2 mages is plenty. I wouldn't say no to a third of course, but it's not really necessary.

-The boss drops some combination of six +2 stones and wings, as well as 2 pieces of gear. I think there might be occasionally other things it drops in place of stones, but I can't think of a specific example of that happening. The gear seems to favor the higher-wing items (bodies/legs) but that might just be entirely luck. Also, because they all drop into the pool and the difficulty tends to go up after beating the boss, it might be a good plan to have everyone lot/pass before you advance, as failing kicks you and you lose everything in your pool.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-23 09:51:17  
Ragnarok.Ejiin said: »
Finally mages get an event to shine in while the melee DD have to sit back and watch.

Okay, so, from the very get-go you're less concerned about having a balanced event, and happy to just see someone else marginalized who isn't you.

Ragnarok.Ejiin said: »
I don't know what event you're doing, but this one is far from boring compared to all the other Skirmishes

It's really not much different, just with the aforementioned mage flavoring vs. the melee previously used.

It just all feels very gimmicked and recycled, again.
 Lakshmi.Nebo
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: NeboJones
By Lakshmi.Nebo 2015-02-23 10:03:06  
It's really not much different, just with the aforementioned mage flavoring vs. the melee previously used.

This leads me to believe you have not personally done it. In which case I suggest you try it.
By Ramyrez 2015-02-23 10:13:54  
Lakshmi.Nebo said: »

This leads me to believe you have not personally done it. In which case I suggest you try it.

No, that's you believing what you want. I wouldn't speak to it if I hadn't done it. I haven't done a lot of it, but I've done several hours of it, enough to know that I will be doing a lot of it anyhow because I have to if I want to upgrade my gear.

It's incredibly boring to me. I'd apologize for my opinion but there's that little problem of me not being sorry for having feelings on something.

Woe be to the developer who dares to try to implement new content requiring tanks and melee DDs and mages of all flavors working together again! Woe I say!

Lye
By Lye 2015-02-23 10:41:10  
He's right guys! You should stop sharing information about this new event because Valli and Ramyrez don't like it!
 Valefor.Sapphire
By Valefor.Sapphire 2015-02-23 10:45:58  
Let's talk about how much inventory space I need now.

Edit: also lol at people that can't win this with melees. Sure bring a mage or two, but light dd that can /thf and flee or have 18/24% boots is pretty boss for large maps+early points.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8