Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-30 17:47:21  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »

If they didn't cap gross receipts, they didn't cap profits, buddy. Perfect example of someone sticking to a tagline even though they know it's bunk.

They are capping profit. You didn't read the law (which I was kind enough to give you btw). Well, either didn't read it or didn't understand it. But like I said, you will ignore it because it doesn't fit in your agenda.

No, they're requiring a specific medical loss ratio, that means a % of the money they receive in premiums must be spent on actual healthcare costs. That's not capping profits, that's requiring the services they sell have a specific relationship to the services they actually provide.

Capping profits requires an actual cap, there's no reason they can't streamline their operations and improve efficiency. Ditch the departments whose job is specifically to find ways to deny coverage. Heck, the government is doing their marketing for them now, so they can cut that cost right out of the equation...
[+]
By Jetackuu 2013-10-30 17:49:55  
Jetackuu said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Siren.Flavin said: »
Asura.Squishytaru said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
So when do we get to the part where we talk about these plans are being canceled because they are below the quality bar demanded by the ACA? The insurance companies are at fault for offering paltry plans and it gets blamed on Obamacare, Bravo. So people will be losing their current subpar plans but all of them will be gaining better plans. A good deal being eligible for some sort of credit or subsidy. This is just like companies now laying off people now and blaming Obamacare when the company mandate doesn't even go into effect for a year. Forget the 'blame it on Bush' note you guys are spouting. There is a blame it all on Obama card that people are playing and it is ***.
I hear that argument but you have to see it from the other side too... if you want a shitty policy you should be able to keep that shitty policy if that's what you were told would be the case...

The other concern raised by some though is that some insurers are using this as an opportunity to unload some of their more expensive clientel or bump up their premiums...

...and again you drift ever so closer to the notion that profit is wrong and criminal. Make it more expensive to do business by mandating additional levels of care and businesses will have to adjust their outlooks for the added risk.

people making profit on people's lives is wrong, and should be criminal.
Government does it all of the time. You have heard of taxes, haven't you?

the government can tax the money it prints all it wants, you won't hear a complaint out of me until they bring back the gold standard.

Short of that they need to tax the bulk of the money, not the bulk of the people.
By Jetackuu 2013-10-30 17:50:55  
still need single payer.
By Jetackuu 2013-10-30 17:55:38  
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Siren.Mosin said: »
Why not?

because hatred is a learned condition.

there will always be the freak 1-3% of sociopaths, but outside of that we aren't born intrinsically evil or malicious twords others, it's a special present your family or society attempts to indoctrinate you with, & can be overcome / eliminated. a spiral into hatred, violence, & death would be an insult to every beautiful thing this planet holds/ has held.

I'm still stuck at the part where the middle eastern kid who is shot in the head started WWIII with nukes. Because that girl, Malala Yousafzai, she seems like such a nice soul.

I still think it's funny that people think that there will be a nuclear war anytime in the near future...

But let people be ridiculous.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-30 17:56:42  
No, they're requiring a specific medical loss ratio, that means a % of the money they receive in premiums must be spent on actual healthcare costs. That's not capping profits, that's requiring the services they sell have a specific relationship to the services they actually provide.
I'm glad you noticed that. However, even if all other costs are negated, you are still capping net income at 15%.

While this is not a bad thing for the consumer, this is a very bad thing for everyone at whole because giving the government power to cap income for one industry is giving them the ability to cap income for any other industry they want. What will keep them from doing that? Not allow the government to cap income in the first place.

Just wait until the government says that you cannot have X% of income because they say so. I will be there saying "well, I told you so!"

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-30 17:58:22  
Why not?

there will always be the freak 1-3% of sociopaths, but outside of that we aren't born intrinsically evil or malicious twords others, it's a special present your family or society attempts to indoctrinate you with, & can be overcome / eliminated. a spiral into hatred, violence, & death would be an insult to every beautiful thing this planet holds/ has held.

I'm still stuck at the part where the middle eastern kid who is shot in the head started WWIII with nukes. Because that girl, Malala Yousafzai, she seems like such a nice soul.

I still think it's funny that people think that there will be a nuclear war anytime in the near future...

All it takes is one radical with nukes. North Korea is the closing thing we have to a radical at the moment, but all it would take is one radical leader...
By Enuyasha 2013-10-30 17:58:55  
Taxes are not gained income from a transaction. Taxes are not business transactions between you and the government. Taxes are an owed amount of money for your use of services provided by the government of which you then receive the benefits of (such as paved roads, utilities [if you've paid for them],the use of public facilities, and the various public defense forces, etc.). Now compare it to Profit, its not the same thing. You receive a product from Walmart, but Walmart sold you that product at an expense to you and a gain for Walmart. Walmart gains profit, but loses a portion of it from Taxes: which allows them to be kept running because people are able to drive on the streets to get to them, walmart has power to run its money machines, water to power its fire sprinklers/restrooms/other water using things, and proper public defense response if theres ever a burglary,fire, terrorist attack, etc.

There is a DEFINITE difference between profit and taxation, but profit can be negative when the corporation supplying a service, gains more than they are supplying in services rendered.

Im not asking for anything to be handed to me for free (besides, if its a government provided service: it comes out in taxes anyway...so its not "free"). Im saying that companies should not be gaining massive amounts of profit for knowingly giving out faulty products, "risky" products, or giving product but then reneging on the product you are paying for because they just dont want to give it to you anymore.

In short, YOU need more time to read and comprehend what im saying before knee-jerk posting that im a commieliberalfreeloader wanting free ***...
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2013-10-30 18:04:48  
Why not?

All it takes is one radical with nukes. North Korea is the closing thing we have to a radical at the moment, but all it would take is one radical leader...

lol you're really silly
[+]
By Enuyasha 2013-10-30 18:05:11  
Well, i also meant to put "Government is not a person, it is a system run by persons. Just as a corporation is not a person, but an entity run by persons. "For the people,by the people" is an ideology meaning "made for the people, to service as the people need from the people themselves" not "made by a person to serve the same person at a loss to other people".
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-30 18:07:54  
I'm glad you noticed that. However, even if all other costs are negated, you are still capping net income at 15%.

While this is not a bad thing for the consumer, this is a very bad thing for everyone at whole because giving the government power to cap income for one industry is giving them the ability to cap income for any other industry they want. What will keep them from doing that? Not allow the government to cap income in the first place.

Just wait until the government says that you cannot have X% of income because they say so. I will be there saying "well, I told you so!"

So the laws against selling babies for profit or the ones making it illegal to sell organs are probably bad as well? They are not capping profit, they are requiring the company to provide the service it actually sells. It doesn't allow them to maintain the absurd profit margins it has enjoyed for decades at the expense of sick people. I bet you'd feel awful bad if one of your family members had been paying out the *** for years for coverage only to be denied for one of those "elective" surgeries that cut into profits, like a kidney transplant.
By Enuyasha 2013-10-30 18:12:30  
actually, ive been saying that the US government needs to apply caps to services for a while now (before bush >_>) cause like...5 dollars for gas is completely unnecessary and in some cases is profiteering off a needed resource.

also the "inflation" nonsense when minimum wage goes up is ridiculous...if you are making a mass profit (like some claim) the product shouldnt increase 2 dollars because paying your workers 1 more dollar cuts into your extra cash flow.
By Jetackuu 2013-10-30 18:29:31  
Enuyasha said: »
actually, ive been saying that the US government needs to apply caps to services for a while now (before bush >_>) cause like...5 dollars for gas is completely unnecessary and in some cases is profiteering off a needed resource.

also the "inflation" nonsense when minimum wage goes up is ridiculous...if you are making a mass profit (like some claim) the product shouldnt increase 2 dollars because paying your workers 1 more dollar cuts into your extra cash flow.

I don't know of any actual recorded inflation in regards to the increase of the minimum wage.
By Enuyasha 2013-10-30 18:33:15  

I don't know of any actual recorded inflation in regards to the increase of the minimum wage.
apparently prices go up when minimum wage goes up? I thought that was a talking point when someone told me that :<

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Kara
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-10-30 18:52:15  

The majority of gas prices are set by the global markets, based off of the price of crude oil. The profit per transaction is very low but many transactions = large profits.

Also gas sales are not a service.

Anyways, I hate it when people bring up gas prices or any commodity price in an argument centered around only the US or other things. Commodity prices are set by the markets and unless there is a drastic change in economics throughout the world this will not change anytime soon.

Sorry to interrupt. Back to your debate/discussion on...whatever it has moved onto now.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-30 18:57:59  
Bahamut.Kara said: »

The majority of gas prices are set by the global markets, based off of the price of crude oil. The profit per transaction is very low but many transactions = large profits.

Anyways, I hate it when people bring up gas prices or any commodity price in an argument centered around only the US or other things. Commodity prices are set by the markets and unless there is a drastic change in economics throughout the world this will not change anytime soon.

Sorry to interrupt. Back to your debate/discussion on...whatever it has moved onto now.

That said, it doesn't prevent politicians from making promises from the stump about gas prices or keep people from blaming high prices on the president.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2013-10-30 18:59:28  

Kara stop lying you know it is all controlled by Aliens! :D
[+]
By Enuyasha 2013-10-30 19:14:07  
i didnt mean to use it as an argument, just simply as one of the things i think needs to be capped in the US market >_>'
 Phoenix.Amandarius
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2013-10-30 19:30:17  

Slippery slope fallacy.

It doesn't take much; just a financial collapse and charismatic leaders to rile everyone up into a frenzy? You don't think that can happen in America?
By Jetackuu 2013-10-30 19:35:27  

I recall when prices were lower, the profit margin was less than 10 cents per gallon, when I worked for a few different companies (granted in the same area) they were making 30+ cents per gallon when it was already over $3.

That's just at the store level, after cost to that store.

It makes it worse when there's a lot of rural areas in this nation where people commute by private vehicle to work on a daily basis. Granted the price of oil is pretty much controlled by OPEC and is sold on the value of the US dollar, which obviously if the American economy improves, improves.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-30 19:36:55  
Phoenix.Amandarius said: »

Slippery slope fallacy.

It doesn't take much; just a financial collapse and charismatic leaders to rile everyone up into a frenzy? You don't think that can happen in America?

Nobody with any expertise believes in the slippery slope. It could happen, but outlawing corrupt business practices is so far up that theoretical slope, you could mudslide through 15 fascist regimes before it even got close to your hypothetical 1930's Germany.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2013-10-30 19:43:28  
It's already happened.

Why do people forget what the maximum income tax rate in the US during the 1950's was 84.357%(400k+/yr) that in 1960 it was 91%(400k+/yr), or that in 1970 it was 71.75%(200k+/yr), and at 70% in 1980(215.4k+/yr)? Source
[+]
By Enuyasha 2013-10-30 19:47:20  
Phoenix.Amandarius said: »

Slippery slope fallacy.

Nobody with any expertise believes in the slippery slope. It could happen, but outlawing corrupt business practices is so far up that theoretical slope, you could mudslide through 15 fascist regimes before it even got close to your hypothetical 1930's Germany.
and that would also require an actual financial apocalypse too...Hitler didnt gain power in a recession.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-10-30 20:51:54  

Clearly we need to simply nationalize our gas resources and America's problems are solved. We can call it, Obamaco: Petroleum you can believe in.

Drill baby drill.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-30 21:01:15  
It's already happened.

Why do people forget what the maximum income tax rate in the US during the 1950's was 84.357%(400k+/yr) that in 1960 it was 91%(400k+/yr), or that in 1970 it was 71.75%(200k+/yr), and at 70% in 1980(215.4k+/yr)? Source
And you could take anything and everything as a deduction too.

So, at the end of the day, your actual income tax rate was around 20-25%.

What's your point? Nobody paid 70+% tax.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-30 21:03:12  
And if you want to place your entire life and decision making ability to the government, that is your prerogative.

Just don't ask me to do the same thing. I trust the government as much as I can throw it.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2013-10-30 21:06:40  
What's your point?

Deductibles do not invalidate the tax rate in relation to the post it's referring to. The rates in the source also indicate much lower tax rates for the average citizen.

If you wanted to post something relevant to defeating the context of my post you could have said yeah but nobody was really making 400k+ a year in 1950-1960. And you would be right since there was a running joke that John D. Rockefeller was the only person paying those tax rates.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 88 89 90 ... 99 100 101