users online
Shut 'em down!
First Page 2 3 ... 27 28 29 ... 99 100 101
 Siren.Flavin
サーバ: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-10-09 12:50:17  
I think life is always reflected by the genius that is a bell curve!
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-09 13:02:54  
Here is one of about 2 dozen articles I found about banks foreclosing on homeowners who either didn't have a mortgage with them or even at all.

It would be safe to assume that incompetence is pretty universal.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2013-10-09 13:06:29  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
...whenever my side does something wrong and the opposing side points it out, it's just politics.

It must be pretty tough to both reach so far to compose your conclusions AND stick your fingers in your ears at the same time.

It’s one thing for politicians to play shutdown theater. It’s another thing entirely for a civil bureaucracy entrusted with the privilege of caring for our national heritage to wage war against the citizenry on behalf of a political party.

Unauthorized recreation will not be tolerated.

Oh you wanna wage a pro immigration really on the National Mall? That's A-OK with us. It'll give us good PR.

Way to go Obama! Giving illegal immigrants full access to places veterans are being banned from. How can you lefties really wonder why the opposition is so skeptical?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-09 13:06:54  
Siren.Flavin said: »
You're basing the competency of all federal and state government employees on how many times you've had to explain the internal revenue code to them? and only on personal experience?
I would say about 80% of the phone calls and correspondences I have had with the IRS had me hand-holding them into their own tax code. That is 4 out of every 5 times. Out of thousands of times.

With state employees (at least for Texas) I have talked/corresponded with them hundreds of times, and I can only remember 1 time that I had to tell them where in the Tax Code a specific deduction was allowed. I'm not 100% positive about this, but I may have done it another time and possibly forgotten. Either way, we are looking at less than 1%.

Yes, I (and everyone else) base their assumptions about the effectiveness of a group of people by how we are dealt with by that same group of people. Jassik has done that, Zero has done it, so has Kara.

I can only use my own personal experiences as my proof about how effective a system is being run. There is no study out there (pity) that shows how effective or ineffective government systems are compared to each other, or to private sector, so the only thing we can go by is our own personal perceptions.

Quote:
I mentioned the military because when people rail about bad government employees they also like to gloss over the fact that people in the military are also government employees, saying it is not the same because they are the military... Which actually does not state why there is such a profound difference. If only incompentant people go to government jobs doesn't that imply only incompentant people join the military? (No, that is not what I am saying).

Well, do you consider a robot as an employee or a tool?

The federal government considers military personnel as tools of war. Sad, but true.

I didn't mean to lump military personnel as part of the incompetency, but I guess I kindof did.
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-10-09 13:08:31  
Odin.Jassik said: »
Here is one of about 2 dozen articles I found about banks foreclosing on homeowners who either didn't have a mortgage with them or even at all. It would be safe to assume that incompetence is pretty universal.
It wasn't the bank though... it was the city! This was property taxes not the mortgage...
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2013-10-09 13:09:20  
Here is one of about 2 dozen articles I found about banks foreclosing on homeowners who either didn't have a mortgage with them or even at all. It would be safe to assume that incompetence is pretty universal.
It wasn't the bank though... it was the city! This was property taxes not the mortgage...

What's that saying about stereotypes not being stereotypes if they're true?
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-10-09 13:10:04  
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Zerowone said: »
In the context of the year it's a bit of selective hyperbolic outrage. It was fiscal year 2001. There was this thing that happened in 2001 that caused a large ramp of government and military personel. I'm sure you've heard about it.

I'm outraged that an article yesterday lamented that only 450 staff members of 1701 were still working at the white house and nobody asked the question....

hey, wait a minute, what the hell do they need 1701 people for in the first place?

Maybe because it's not a big deal? Certainly not worth going on about it for a page. It's not like they are all there at once.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-09 13:10:51  
Here is one of about 2 dozen articles I found about banks foreclosing on homeowners who either didn't have a mortgage with them or even at all.

It would be safe to assume that incompetence is pretty universal.
Incompetence on both sides, yes.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-10-09 13:11:47  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

Oh you wanna wage a pro immigration really on the National Mall? That's A-OK with us. It'll give us good PR.

Way to go Obama! Giving illegal immigrants full access to places veterans are being banned from. How can you lefties really wonder why the opposition is so skeptical?

Simple, it has nothing to do with Obama.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-09 13:12:50  
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
In the context of the year it's a bit of selective hyperbolic outrage. It was fiscal year 2001. There was this thing that happened in 2001 that caused a large ramp of government and military personel. I'm sure you've heard about it.

I'm outraged that an article yesterday lamented that only 450 staff members of 1701 were still working at the white house and nobody asked the question....

hey, wait a minute, what the hell do they need 1701 people for in the first place?

Maybe because it's not a big deal? Certainly not worth going on about it for a page. It's not like they are all there at once.
Unless it was a Republican president in office, then we all must protest and such!

Plus, it's Bush's fault that Obama has so many people working in the White House!

Edit: SARCASM DAMN IT!!!!
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2013-10-09 13:17:07  
White House, warned for months that the exchanges weren't ready. They launched them anyways.
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2013-10-09 13:17:32  

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-10-09 13:28:04  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I'm outraged that an article yesterday lamented that only 450 staff members of 1701 were still working at the white house and nobody asked the question.... hey, wait a minute, what the hell do they need 1701 people for in the first place?
Unless it was a Republican president in office, then we all must protest and such! Plus, it's Bush's fault that Obama has so many people working in the White House!
Just like its a democratic president now so you've taken up the bitching mantle?

I wouldn't say it has anything to do with Bush... it's a staffing issue that probably just goes along with the office... maybe too many people have too many assistants... idk...
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-10-09 13:28:54  

And the tea party covered it up with a shutdown. Brilliance. Couldn't have worked any better for Obama.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2013-10-09 13:31:14  
Be still my beating heart!

CNN's Wolf Blitzer says Obama should have accepted GOP advice to delay the exchanges another year!

Am I actually awake? The liberal sky is falling!
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-10-09 13:33:23  
Well, too bad Wolfblitzer, and you, and the GOP, are still going to be ignored.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-09 13:34:04  
Just like its a democratic president now so you've taken up the bitching mantle?

I wouldn't say it has anything to do with Bush... it's a staffing issue that probably just goes along with the office... maybe too many people have too many assistants... idk...
sorry, forgot to use the /sarcasm tag.
 Bahamut.Kara
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-10-09 13:36:58  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Unless it was a Republican president in office, then we all must protest and such!

Plus, it's Bush's fault that Obama has so many people working in the White House!

Bush had more staff. I don't recall protests.

What I don't like is how the budget is manipulated by both parties. Security personnel and others are considered white house staff but their paychecks are charged to other departments. So you aren't able to get precise numbers.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2013-10-09 13:42:05  

CNN's Wolf Blitzer says Obama should have accepted GOP advice to delay the exchanges another year!

It's probably not a bad idea. He could do the whole "it's not my red line it's your red line" speech. blame carney, appease the unions, look like a hero that single handily restarted the government...

I think the main problem obama has is he thinks he has to make a statement about issues in fifteen seconds or less... He doesn't seem to give himself a whole lot of time to weigh the pros and cons out.
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-10-09 13:46:17  
Personally I think when you roll out anything this big there are going to be technical issues... I mean the government is involved right?!?! huh?!?! lol... Even Accenture was on this... I figure in about a month from the opening the kinks will be worked out and everything will move forward... its like most everything in the IT world... nothing ever goes off without a hitch... not to excuse it or anything but it's nothing less than what I expected to happen... whether it came out this year or next year...

not to mention that the republicans were most likely not trying to get them to hold off because they predicted technical issues but rather to buy more time to get rid of it somehow...
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2013-10-09 13:46:43  
Bahamut.Kara said: »

where were you?

I don't recall anything he did that wasn't protested...

Edit: I bet this picture was taken yesterday....
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-09 13:48:31  

It's probably not a bad idea. He could do the whole "it's not my red line it's your red line" speech. blame carney, appease the unions, look like a hero that single handily restarted the government...

I think the main problem obama has is he thinks he has to make a statement about issues in fifteen seconds or less... He doesn't seem to give himself a whole lot of time to weigh the pros and cons out.

There's a lot of political pressure, plus the internal pressure of having made his policy transparency. I'm sure there's a fair amount of pressure to be a good example of his race, too. If the first black president is a terrible president, people will interpret it a million different ways.

I'm not making any excuses for him, obviously. And I don't think he's made good decisions in a lot of areas. I just don't envy being in that position.
 Bahamut.Kara
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-10-09 13:50:47  

where were you?

I recall lots of protests but not one about the amount of white house staff he had.

Anyways, I just read that the senate and house gyms were deemed essential (really not the best article).

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/10/08/2748461/members-only-congressional-gyms-deemed-essential-remain-open-during-shutdown/
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-10-09 13:56:04  
Everyone on this gaming website is familiar with rough launches and the cause of them, server overloads and such. Obamacare was always going to endure a rough launch, but it was time to bring it online. And the Tea Party hated it so much, they shut down the government...to distract everyone from said rough launch. Great strategy, Obama appreciates it. Meanwhile, enjoy the negative press Tea Party, and the defeat you are about to endure.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-09 13:56:37  

where were you?

I recall lots of protests but not one about the amount of white house staff he had.

Anyways, I just read that the senate and house gyms were deemed essential (really not the best article).

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/10/08/2748461/members-only-congressional-gyms-deemed-essential-remain-open-during-shutdown/
Of course, got to hide the pork somewhere.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2013-10-09 14:33:48  

where were you?

Only like 15-20% of the government is actually shutdown.

This term "shutdown" everyone is using is pretty disingenuous.

Also a better joke to the "congressional gym" would contain some semblance of "continue to burn pork".

Someone help me out here...
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2013-10-09 14:38:34  
Runner fined 100 bucks for running through a shutdown park

Hell hath no fury like an Obama scorned.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-10-09 14:41:08  
/yawn.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2013-10-09 14:42:47  
[I recall lots of protests but not one about the amount of white house staff he had.

Well if you don't remember it, then it didn't happen...
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-10-09 14:53:52  
[I recall lots of protests but not one about the amount of white house staff he had.
Well if you don't remember it, then it didn't happen...
Only 3,000?
First Page 2 3 ... 27 28 29 ... 99 100 101