users online
Shut 'em down!
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 99 100 101
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-10-03 14:55:15  
Liberals, Democrats, Tea Partiers, confused brain-washed Conservatives, and the intellectually uninformed - If there's one thing South Park taught us, it's to blame someone else for your troubles! "Blame Canada!" comes to mind.

While we can all agree that no politician is entirely truthful, and can be sketchy and dodgy at most times, The current state of the Republican party is in even more dire straights than Canada's own Bloc Quebecois, though found to be in similar situations and circumstances.

Their own members are beginning to cross the podium to the other side, distancing themselves from the loudest, most ignorant members at the forefront that represent their constituent interests, which were "duly elected" to perform such duties as announced on platforms (which were then recinded upon access to office), spreading extreme falsehoods, which are then mimicked by the most backwards, intellectually stunted members of the party.

Granted, there has been some debate by intelligible members seeking information and conversation regarding fact versus opinion. Fact versus myth. And so on.

After reading past the last 10 pages, I am seated squarely on the edge, awaiting for a glorious battle to be fought by two political behemoths. A good fight is a good fight after all. However, in this case, it's been fact versus mudslinging. The act of a party desperate for attention, desperate for some kind of victory in a losing battle, where the war is supposedly over, that it's much like watching a cripple being kicked in the junk by a horse.

The ACA, having been found constitutional by the highest court in the land, means that negotiations are over. Considering the act had to be compromised from it's original proposal in order to be passed the first time.

All I've really heard from the Republican supporters are "I love you, but you disgust me", and "Everyone is equal, except some people are more equal than others", and so forth.

The world is already burning. I'm here to watch it. So you don't really need to pour gas on the bonfire when it already roars spectacularly.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-03 14:55:26  
Bahamut.Kara said: »
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
So, are these reports about the shooter being a woman with a toddler in her car bogus?

Ugh! I think I'm done with news for today.
Yeah i just read that. Not sure if true or not.

Edit: it's not been completely confirmed
Quote:
The US capitol police chief, Kim Dine, holds a news conference to describe what happened, confirming details of what was earlier reported. He said:

A vehicle in the vicinity of the White House apparently tried to pass a barricade.

Shots were potentially fired. [Officers] pursued the vehicle. The vehicle struck one of our vehicles... and ultimately ended up at 2nd and Maryland Avenue NE, where it crashed into one of our barricades.

We have no information that this is related to terrorism or is anything other than an isolated incident.

Dine says he believes that there was a child in the car. But he does not know the condition of the driver.

He confirms that an office was injured, but not by gunfire:

One of our officers was struck in his staff car. He appears to be conscious and breathing. As far as we know, no officer was shot.
Wait, how are shots "potentially fired"?

Is it possible that the car backfired and people overreacted? The person may have accidentally tried to go around the barricade by navigation error too.

More details at 7, James.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2013-10-03 14:56:51  
Odin.Jassik said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
I'm always up for forgiveness Jassik. But make no mistake, you are indeed blind.

A catastrophe or disaster which deconstructs the infrastructure of the program is really what this article is geared to, not:

'oh hey we've had 3 years, a limitless supply of money, and all the (overwhelming) talent of the US government to prepare this thing but its just not ready yet and the midterms are coming, so we'll push it out for a year'

The delay is an abuse of power and was only done for political gain. The rest of the bill wasn't ready either as news outlets are clearly reporting, how come we didn't delay them too?

Tinfoil hat, yet again. It's absolutely irrelevant whether the timing seems convenient. The article isn't geared toward anything, it's a factual analysis of situations that have/could delay implementation.

The fact remains, it IS within his authority to delay the law based on the reasons they gave and judicial precedent.

Whether I like it or agree with it means nothing, facts don't care about your opinion.

The delay is entirely unreasonable. You're just wrong, neither he nor the office is above the law. Remember when he announced he wasn't gonna enforce DOMA anymore, where was the faithful implementation/unreasonable delay there?

Answer: It wasn't politically advantageous anymore.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-10-03 15:03:25  
What political advantage does the author of his own bill gain by forcing an "unreasonable delay"?

The Answer: NONE. Absolutely none.

The advantages it does give, are to a governmental construct for foreseeable, non-foreseeable, and for clerical confirmations that would allow insurance companies, those requiring (and are seeking qualifications for subsidies) and the government to get their ducks in a row.

It's amazing how much people are willing to ignore to justify their own "factpinions" (I coined it first, Stephen Colbert, so you can keep your "truthiness" to yourself!) where they confuse fact with what they believe to be an "informed opinion", despite proof of not being so.

Hell, they'll even go so far as to decry any organization you get news and facts from (including their own) as "liberal media" just to expunge themselves from reality.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2013-10-03 15:15:19  
Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
What political advantage does the author of his own bill gain by forcing an "unreasonable delay"?

The advantages it does give, are to a governmental construct for foreseeable, non-foreseeable, and for clerical confirmations that would allow insurance companies, those requiring (and are seeking qualifications for subsidies) and the government to get their ducks in a row.

It's amazing how much people are willing to ignore to justify their own "factpinions" (I coined it first, Stephen Colbert, so you can keep your "truthiness" to yourself!) where they confuse fact with what they believe to be an "informed opinion", despite proof of not being so.

Hell, they'll even go so far as to decry any organization you get news and facts from (including their own) as "liberal media" just to expunge themselves from reality.

lol, gimmie a break. Obamacare is going to be disasterous, the employer mandate had/has severe consequences for job and economic growth. That's not the political vantage point he wants for the 2014 midterms, that's why he delayed it. It doesn't matter what he said (as if he would admit his motives).

NEWS FLASH: HE LIES!!

"During the course of my presidency, I have bent over backwards to work with the Republican party and have purposely kept my rhetoric down. I think I’m pretty well known for being a calm guy. Sometimes people think I’m too calm. And am I exasperated? Absolutely I’m exasperated because this is entirely unnecessary."
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-10-03 15:23:11  
Nothing in that quote is a lie, good try tho. Obamacare is in effect, and its going through a standard MMO launch, but no one cares because Boehner has the gov't shutdown. Way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory Boehner. Hilarious.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-03 15:44:33  
I'm always up for forgiveness Jassik. But make no mistake, you are indeed blind.

A catastrophe or disaster which deconstructs the infrastructure of the program is really what this article is geared to, not:

'oh hey we've had 3 years, a limitless supply of money, and all the (overwhelming) talent of the US government to prepare this thing but its just not ready yet and the midterms are coming, so we'll push it out for a year'

The delay is an abuse of power and was only done for political gain. The rest of the bill wasn't ready either as news outlets are clearly reporting, how come we didn't delay them too?

Tinfoil hat, yet again. It's absolutely irrelevant whether the timing seems convenient. The article isn't geared toward anything, it's a factual analysis of situations that have/could delay implementation.

The fact remains, it IS within his authority to delay the law based on the reasons they gave and judicial precedent.

Whether I like it or agree with it means nothing, facts don't care about your opinion.

The delay is entirely unreasonable. You're just wrong, neither he nor the office is above the law. Remember when he announced he wasn't gonna enforce DOMA anymore, where was the faithful implementation/unreasonable delay there?

Answer: It wasn't politically advantageous anymore.

he refused to enforce doma because he had reason to believe it was unconstitutional. and it was determined to be exactly that.

also, you can't call it outside his power and an abuse of power at the same time. how can anyone abuse a power they don't have?
[+]
By Zerowone 2013-10-03 15:45:31  

lol, gimmie a break. Obamacare is going to be disasterous, the employer mandate had/has severe consequences for job and economic growth. That's not the political vantage point he wants for the 2014 midterms, that's why he delayed it. It doesn't matter what he said (as if he would admit his motives).

"During the course of my presidency, I have bent over backwards to work with the Republican party and have purposely kept my rhetoric down. I think I’m pretty well known for being a calm guy. Sometimes people think I’m too calm. And am I exasperated? Absolutely I’m exasperated because this is entirely unnecessary."

Nobody knows if it is going to be disasterous or not. What we do know is that the group that opposes it and claims it is disasterous is willing to cause disaster by destroying the reputation of their own nation, with the threat of default.

Nobody knew if Social Security or Unemployment Insurance or Farm Aid was going to be disasterous or not. Within 10yrs of their implementation the people loved them so much that it became political suicide to try and remove them. Instead of waiting the 10yrs it seems like the group that is so dead against ACA is ready to commit suicide now and take everyone in the country with them.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-10-03 15:51:52  
They can play this game right up to the debt ceiling deadline because I know no one has the balls to have the US default to score some political points against Obamacare. I'm only sorry for the thousands of gov't workers who need their paychecks to survive and are now waiting in limbo for Congress to put their adult diapers back on and get back to not working.

Cooler heads will prevail. They wouldn't dare sabotage the economy. No amount of frothing hatred of Obama would allow them to.
 Bahamut.Kara
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-10-03 15:56:12  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Wait, how are shots "potentially fired"?

Is it possible that the car backfired and people overreacted? The person may have accidentally tried to go around the barricade by navigation error too.

More details at 7, James.

Yeah, i have no idea. It seems a bit odd.

I haven't watched the cnn video but it supposedly shows what happened.

Quote:
A black sedan is stopped outside the White House with a multiple police vehicles parked around it including one directly behind it. A half-dozen officers stand around the vehicle, guns drawn. The vehicle reverses violently, hitting the police car behind it. Officers aim pistols at the driver's window and can be seen yelling. The car speeds away, forcing officers to jump to safety. Several pops – likely gunshots – are audible.

The car speeds from White House and down Constitution Avenue toward the Capitol. Many police cars are in pursuit. The car leads police vehicles one full loop through a traffic circle, eluding them, and continues toward the Capitol.

The final wreck is not on the video.
By Zerowone 2013-10-03 16:01:09  
looks like she was driving an infiniti, they've got good accelartion. Makes me miss my Q45. Looks like the gun shots are directed at the car.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-03 16:13:10  
Zerowone said: »
looks like she was driving an infiniti, they've got good accelartion. Makes me miss my Q45. Looks like the gun shots are directed at the car.

I used to work under contract with NTCNA (Nissan's in-house test branch) and one of the largest complaints with the Q line (aside from the questionable styling at the time) was that it was underpowered when placed parallel with it's competitors. IE, the 3.5 was slower than the 535i, and the 4.5 was slower than the 545. In benchmarks it was comparable in traffic, though.

OT, I know.

WA Post report
[+]
 Cerberus.Eugene
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2013-10-03 16:25:50  
Apparently if you allow for the 1 in the number as nothing, the healthcare exchange phone line can be read as 1-800-***.

1-800-318-2596
1-800-3(F) 8(U) 2(C) 5(K) 9(Y) 6(O)
Lolz
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-03 16:29:30  
Cerberus.Eugene said: »
Apparently if you allow for the 1 in the number as nothing, the healthcare exchange phone line can be read as 1-800-***.

1-800-318-2596
1-800-3(F) 8(U) 2(C) 5(K) 9(Y) 6(O)
Lolz
Apparently 1-800-382-5968 was taken already.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-10-03 16:29:48  
yeah, thats old.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-10-03 17:59:08  

There are a ton of things that have supposed and actual huge economic growth impacts. You know what was determined when "Papa John" launched a counter-attack on Obamacare? All he needed to do was increase the price of pizza 11 cents (one of many items on the store chain menu) that people would have eagerly paid, and yet could make a huge profit by charging a dollar in it's place to cover his employees instead. That increased profitability would have also seen his employees making more money to help stimulate their local economy through their purchases, etc. and so forth.

Man, you have a personal vendetta against "Obamacare", which is a scare-tactic name, filled with lies, intentional misinformation, and misrepresentation, considering the man he ran against, did the very same thing - successfully - as the republican governor of Mass. On national scale, the republicans have wanted to slash Education, social security, veteran funding, etc. leaving anyone but themselves out in the cold.

The facts speak for themselves, and I personally find it sad, and offensive, that someone who claims to have any kind of pseudo-intelligence, "inside information", and a "Holier than thou" attitude, to blatantly ignore and distort the facts, just because it may or may not influence a truly informed decision versus an ignorant opinion being presented and paraded around as fact.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-03 18:30:35  

There are a ton of things that have supposed and actual huge economic growth impacts. You know what was determined when "Papa John" launched a counter-attack on Obamacare? All he needed to do was increase the price of pizza 11 cents (one of many items on the store chain menu) that people would have eagerly paid, and yet could make a huge profit by charging a dollar in it's place to cover his employees instead. That increased profitability would have also seen his employees making more money to help stimulate their local economy through their purchases, etc. and so forth.

Man, you have a personal vendetta against "Obamacare", which is a scare-tactic name, filled with lies, intentional misinformation, and misrepresentation, considering the man he ran against, did the very same thing - successfully - as the republican governor of Mass. On national scale, the republicans have wanted to slash Education, social security, veteran funding, etc. leaving anyone but themselves out in the cold.

The facts speak for themselves, and I personally find it sad, and offensive, that someone who claims to have any kind of pseudo-intelligence, "inside information", and a "Holier than thou" attitude, to blatantly ignore and distort the facts, just because it may or may not influence a truly informed decision versus an ignorant opinion being presented and paraded around as fact.
One could argue, just by this post alone, that you have a personal vendetta against Republicans.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-03 18:43:35  

One could argue, just by this post alone, that you have a personal vendetta against Republicans.

I interpret it as a vendetta against idiots.

But the crowd he is talking about aren't Republicans, regardless of what they call themselves.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-03 18:48:28  

But the crowd he is talking about aren't Republicans, regardless of what they call themselves.
Do you seriously have something against me where you have to argue anything I say?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-03 18:55:58  

Do you seriously have something against me where you have to argue anything I say?

Not anything, just the intentionally baiting things.
By Zerowone 2013-10-03 19:09:48  
sometimes you need a satrical take on things to best communicate a view point. In this video its the segment with John Oliver.
[+]
 Cerberus.Eugene
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2013-10-03 19:26:01  
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2013-10-03 22:41:15  
Without reading through the 10 pages I missed....

Right now there are enough votes in the house to send a "clean" resolution to the senate. There are reports of 18 (at this time and I am off to bed after I post[no you can't join me.]) Republican house members willing to pass it.

But the Speaker of the House will not move it to the floor.

As Congressperson Michele Bachmann said "This is EXACTLY what we wanted and we got it." (Emphasis mine.)

So, please tell me just who's fault it is that the government is shut down?

Hint: it isn't the parks department.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-10-03 22:45:11  
Yeah that's pretty late chanti.
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2013-10-03 22:47:59  
As my mother said, "I am built for comfort, not for speed."

And a bit busy getting to Fisher 50 in XIV.

Halcyon Rod, YES!!!!
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-10-04 00:37:44  
How can we expect children to act responsibly when represenatives for our government act like toddlers holding their breath and turning blue to get their way?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/03/republicans-debt-limit-treasury-economy

Quote:
Some conservative lawmakers are even questioning administration insistences that Congress must increase the debt limit by 17 October.

Congressman Jim Sensenbrenner, one of several Republicans who first urged speaker John Boehner to link the budget with their demands to scrap healthcare reform, said the government shutdown may change the debt deadline by slowing down spending. "I don't know if the drop dead date on the debt limit is going to be 17 October because the government is not spending any money now," he told the Guardian. "This might get pushed back a little bit further."

Sensenbrenner also argued that public sympathy was shifting towards Republicans as the government shutdown wore on. "What I'm hearing from the public, mostly from phone calls that we get here and in my Wisconsin office, is that for a while Republicans were getting blamed for stonewalling but after Sunday – when we sent five proposals over to the Senate – the pendulum is starting to swing the other direction," he said.

"Where the public is at now is a lot different than in previous debt ceiling fights including August 2011. People are concerned about the debt because the debt has really ballooned and the president has got to be much more specific and convincing than just saying we've got to raise it so the government can pay its bills."

Since when is it ok to not pay creditors for something that has been bought and utilized? I thought republicans were the party of personal responsiblity, not "well, I may have bought that but why do I have to actually have to pay for it party?"

I'm not trying to pick a fight, I honestly want to know how someone can have two different views on something and not fall over with the hypocrisy.
By Fumiku 2013-10-04 00:55:04  
Bahamut.Kara said: »
How can we expect children to act responsibly when represenatives for our government act like toddlers holding their breath and turning blue to get their way?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/03/republicans-debt-limit-treasury-economy

Quote:
Some conservative lawmakers are even questioning administration insistences that Congress must increase the debt limit by 17 October.

Congressman Jim Sensenbrenner, one of several Republicans who first urged speaker John Boehner to link the budget with their demands to scrap healthcare reform, said the government shutdown may change the debt deadline by slowing down spending. "I don't know if the drop dead date on the debt limit is going to be 17 October because the government is not spending any money now," he told the Guardian. "This might get pushed back a little bit further."

Sensenbrenner also argued that public sympathy was shifting towards Republicans as the government shutdown wore on. "What I'm hearing from the public, mostly from phone calls that we get here and in my Wisconsin office, is that for a while Republicans were getting blamed for stonewalling but after Sunday – when we sent five proposals over to the Senate – the pendulum is starting to swing the other direction," he said.

"Where the public is at now is a lot different than in previous debt ceiling fights including August 2011. People are concerned about the debt because the debt has really ballooned and the president has got to be much more specific and convincing than just saying we've got to raise it so the government can pay its bills."

Since when is it ok to not pay creditors for something that has been bought and utilized? I thought republicans were the party of personal responsiblity, not "well, I may have bought that but why do I have to actually have to pay for it party?"

I'm not trying to pick a fight, I honestly want to know how someone can have two different views on something and not fall over with the hypocrisy.

That is how I see it. Both sides are feet stomping.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-10-04 01:06:13  
Not much to say anymore if people still see it that way.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-10-04 01:15:39  
Its always been an arbitrary date, Jack Lew has said no later than Oct. 17, it could happen a few days before. That congressman has no idea, he shouldn't even be talking, and his idea about republican sympathy is hilarious. But what do you expect from Wisconsin.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-10-04 01:20:47  
If any other country had this much uncertainity about defaulting on their debt, their credit rating would be downgraded to below investment grade.

This is beyond ridiculous that the US is even having a national conversation about defaulting.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 99 100 101