フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Matamata Shield
Matamata Shield
 Quetzalcoatl.Zubis
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Zubis
By Quetzalcoatl.Zubis 2013-04-05 10:21:27  
For non Ochain/Aegis people:

I was thinking about purchasing a Matamata Shield for the 8% -PDT it would allow me to free up some other -PDT slots.

It's a Buckler type so maybe the proc rate isn't worth the -PDT.

Your thoughts?
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-04-05 10:31:53  
Size 1... automatically a POS.
By Hercureles 2013-04-05 10:42:53  
Great for skill ups :)
By kenshynofshiva 2013-04-05 10:51:52  
Heck might get one for my bst mule. Would help my rdm mule as well +7mnd -8% pdt..
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2013-04-05 11:11:51  
Quetzalcoatl.Zubis said: »

I was thinking about purchasing a Matamata Shield for the 8% -PDT it would allow me to free up some other -PDT slots.

Your thoughts?
Buckler proc rate is high, it's the block dmg reduction that fails. While the PDT will hep in that regard, I doubt it's going to make up for it.

Although, I never nailed down precise dmg reduction base for size 1 and 2 shield. The block dmg reduction is small enough on size 1 and 2 that you can't say for certain whether a hit was a block of just rolled low. No gap in the dmg range. Makes it hard to test.

Basically, good skill up shield.
[+]
 Cerberus.Arcmarc
サーバ: Cerberus
user: marc4497
By Cerberus.Arcmarc 2013-04-08 18:46:56  
Quetzalcoatl.Zubis said: »

Your thoughts?

If you don't have Aegis or Ochain you're doing it wrong. Well, I take that back; Adamas has proven to be an OK shield, but again, very situational. Might as well play a different job. This isn't meant to offend anyone who doesn't have the time to make an Aegis or Ochain, but you're not going to be asked to come to an event as PLD until you have one of the 3 mentioned shields; the new shields are probably decent to have while you're working on making an Aegis or Ochain.
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2013-04-08 19:07:54  
Hold off on it, since it's going to honestly bottom out very quickly in the price based on how many are up currently, so I'd recommend holding out on it for a bit, if you're out to get it.

I think it might honestly not be horrible due to the changes recently to defense and all, especially if you have other pieces on your set that let you function as a PLD just fine for whatever events you're doing. It'll garner alot of weak blocks due to the size, and thanks to the naturally high DEF of your PLD gear and VIT, probably could round it out a bit for you. Like... more consistant numbers, I suppose.

It won't really work for the high end content due to SE designing Aegis / Ochain in mind for those challenges, but I think it will suffice as a modest shield for whatever you're after.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-04-08 20:41:17  
Lakshmi.Chilzen said: »
I think it might honestly not be horrible due to the changes recently to defense and all, especially if you have other pieces on your set that let you function as a PLD just fine for whatever events you're doing. It'll garner alot of weak blocks due to the size, and thanks to the naturally high DEF of your PLD gear and VIT, probably could round it out a bit for you. Like... more consistant numbers, I suppose.

No, sadly it won't. If you don't have Aegis or Ochain, go for size 3.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cerberus.Arcmarc
サーバ: Cerberus
user: marc4497
By Cerberus.Arcmarc 2013-04-08 22:24:24  
Bismarck.Josiahkf said: »
Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Lakshmi.Chilzen said: »

No, sadly it won't. If you don't have Aegis or Ochain, go for Adamas.

I see what you did there.
 Quetzalcoatl.Zubis
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Zubis
By Quetzalcoatl.Zubis 2013-04-09 22:50:51  
Cerberus.Arcmarc said: »

If you don't have Aegis or Ochain you're doing it wrong. Well, I take that back; Adamas has proven to be an OK shield, but again, very situational. Might as well play a different job. This isn't meant to offend anyone who doesn't have the time to make an Aegis or Ochain, but you're not going to be asked to come to an event as PLD until you have one of the 3 mentioned shields; the new shields are probably decent to have while you're working on making an Aegis or Ochain.

PLD's not my main job; I'm not going near an Ochain or Aegis.
By Massakre 2013-04-13 03:40:18  
Quote:

There are always going to be elitists. Some people dont understand that not everybody has the time to make an Ochain/Aegis. Some people dont understand that not everybody does endgame material.

If you're looking to have fun with your PLD the shield is a good option. As stated previously tho, I would wait a bit and the price will come down alot for you.
 Valefor.Surivere
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Surivere 2013-04-13 04:55:36  
This isnt about having an Aegis or not.

The thing is, it's not a paladin shield. EVER.

You can take two shields, lets say the Size 1 Matamata shield and that basic size 3 Kite shield you get from finishing the PLD quest.

You can cap out proc rate for blocks on both of them. However Matamate shield reduces damage on a block by 37%, while even the stupid 8 DEF kite shield already reduces damage taken on a block by 54%.

It's a decent mage shield for idling in, it's NOT a PLD piece. Take any size 3 "kite" shield, and you're better off. Any. Even that 30k Weathering Shield is giving you 68% damage reduced on a block.
[+]
By Voren 2013-04-21 20:58:36  
Any thoughts on Butznar? It's over a mil on Bismarck and I'm a broke ***. Anyone tried it yet?
 Fenrir.Sylow
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-04-21 21:10:18  
Massakre said: »
Quote:

There are always going to be elitists. Some people dont understand that not everybody has the time to make an Ochain/Aegis. Some people dont understand that not everybody does endgame material.

If you're looking to have fun with your PLD the shield is a good option. As stated previously tho, I would wait a bit and the price will come down alot for you.

It's not the fault of elitists that PLD is sub-functional for group content without an Ochain and/or an Aegis (it's the fault of poor game design).

I don't really care what you do with your $12.95 when you're out soloing or poking old content with friends, but when it comes time to invite you to my (insert endgame event here), I don't think that requiring that people have a job geared to a functional level is being elitist -- it's being reasonable.

There are plenty of jobs you can gear to a functional level without making a Relic, Empyrean, or Mythic. PLD is not one of them. If you're talking content where PLD is going to be acceptable withouit these shields, you might as well /NIN or /DNC and dual wield swords or find a great sword and use Resolution.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [30 days between previous and next post]
 Bismarck.Chaosprime
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Chaosprime 2013-05-21 16:44:36  
what about the new Delve shield? its a size 3 with DT-7%. Still not acceptable? (not a PLD just thought i mention it)
By Yandaime 2013-06-11 02:16:32  
Bismarck.Chaosprime said: »
what about the new Delve shield? its a size 3 with DT-7%. Still not acceptable? (not a PLD just thought i mention it)

I am also curious about this shield. There's a side note on BGWiki stating that someone tested this Shield vs Tax'et and had an "Exceptionally High Block Rate with all blocks dealing 0 Damage".

This raises the question of if this Delve Shield can stand alongside Aegis/Ochain. If it can, it would not surprise me simply because everything else from Delve is on crack <.<; I asked some PLDs in recent Delves and some in LS and they say the block rate seems to increase as the shield is upgraded. Which path they upgraded for these results were not stated and the side note on BGWiki also did not specify if the Shield was fully upgraded or even upgraded at all. There is definitely a call for testing to be done on this particular shield.

Can it stand alongside Aegis and Ochain?
Can it potentially outshine them?

I think some testing is required, this shield would be perfect for people who have PLD and are good at playing PLD but don't Career PLD if it actually is a good shield