Endeavoring To Awaken --A Guide To Rune Fencer

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
First Page 2 3 ... 186 187 188 189 190
 Asura.Toralin
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2022-12-28 07:51:49  
Asura.Sechs said: »
MOS1991 said: »
my phalanx set is only Relic head and then +4 in other slots from Herc.
"only"

xD
lol herc+4 and no jp :eyeroll:
 Bismarck.Firedemon
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2022-12-28 09:02:29  
Asura.Toralin said: »
MOS1991 said: »
my phalanx set is only Relic head and then +4 in other slots from Herc.
"only"

xD
lol herc+4 and no jp :eyeroll:

RUN isn’t the only job on Herculean :eyeroll:
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2022-12-28 10:01:49  
Well I'd dare to say it's the only job for which phalanx on herc is relevant though.

For instance I've been trying for phalanx on herc on every DM campaign for the past 2+ years and I've seen phalanx there only 4 times in total. Two times with +2, once with +3 and once with +4.
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2022-12-28 10:08:20  
Well I'd dare to say it's the only job for which phalanx on herc is relevant though.
What?

DM augments on herc is the best phalanx set for all the jobs on it... other then head for RUN.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-12-28 10:26:57  
Asura.Bippin said: »
What?

DM augments on herc is the best phalanx set for all the jobs on it... other then head for RUN.

I frequently use 5/5 +5 for BLU/rdm for various things or THF/rdm for Omen farming or for any herc jobs when I solo I let KoH cast Phalanx II on me (he does that as first thing after Dia III I think on person who has hate).
[+]
By Nariont 2022-12-28 11:41:54  
only "downside" to reis phalanx gear is the lack of real DT/HP but beyond that it's still the one augment next to TH+2 that has some universal value regardless of set its on
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-12-28 11:53:18  
Yeah, outside of the 4-5 pieces for Herc Phalanx, you should fit as much -DT% in the rest of the slots so you don't get wrecked, if for whatever reason you're swapping to a set mid-fight. Most of the time, though, you're only wearing it prefight so the lack of defensive stats is not too much of an issue to work with.

No idea what Sechs is talking about though. Taking less damage with Phalanx+ gear isn't a thing that's (PLD)/RUN-only; you only think that because that's the job that's doing the tanking. But if anyone else is ever in range getting hit for any amount of damage, Phalanx+ gear benefits every single job that can use it.
By SimonSes 2022-12-28 12:29:38  
Nariont said: »
only "downside" to reis phalanx gear is the lack of real DT/HP but beyond that it's still the one augment next to TH+2 that has some universal value regardless of set its on

Its only meva really.

herc set is 6% PDT
10% PDT on cap
10%DT dring
5%DT Moonlight or 7%PDT/-1%MDTgelatinousR15
3%DT Stauntch
3%DT 2%MDT OdnowaR15
2%PDT Genmei
4%PDT Flume +1
6%DT Loricate Torque +1

27%DT+22%PDT+2%MDT for Moonlight
22%DT+29%PDT+1%MDT for Gelatinous

So pretty much capped PDT and with Shell V also capped MDT.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2022-12-28 14:15:14  
Asura.Bippin said: »
What?

I didn't say "useless", I said "relevant".
Phalanx for Herc jobs except RUN is a niche set.
Useful as it may be, I wouldn't call it particularly relevant.
With the borderline exception of BLU maybe. I'd still call that "niche" but it's certainly gonna be used more frequently than on the other jobs in the list.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2022-12-28 14:16:15  
Nariont said: »
Some herc pieces have PDT on them! Better than nothing! Better than Taeon! :-P
 Bismarck.Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2022-12-28 15:16:50  
Phalanx for BLU isn’t niche, you still drunk from Xmas fam?
[+]
By Nariont 2022-12-28 15:31:34  
I didn't say "useless", I said "relevant".
Phalanx for Herc jobs except RUN is a niche set.

It's really not, there's many instances of just killing trash where phalanx comes in handy not just for blu, plenty of jobs can cleave effectively and being able to cut an extra 25 dmg off of that's extremely valuable
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2022-12-28 18:08:09  
I think you guys are going all the way black or white.
Just because you can find one use for a set, doesn't mean it's an extremely relevant set for that job.

Otherwise let's start talking about Cure Potency sets for MNK.
Can you find an use for that?
Yes, absolutely?
Is it relevant? No, it's niche.

It's the same for 5/5 Herc with Phalanx+5 on those jobs, with the mentioned partial exception.
Can it be useful? Wow! It totally can!
Is it a must have or a relevant set for those jobs? No it's a niche one.
Period.

If you deny this definition of what is "niche", then anything that can come up anyone's mind suddenly becomes relevant and at that point it becomes pointless to define what is or isn't because everything will be defined as such.
[+]
 Bismarck.Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2022-12-28 19:19:40  
Are you really arguing that a Phalanx set for BLU is niche? I don't know a single BLU that doesn't have it in their spell rotation while /RDM. It's a standard spell to have, much less have a set for. Period.

Tell us you don't play BLU without telling us you don't play BLU.
[+]
 Bahamut.Justthetip
サーバ: Bahamut
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2022-12-28 19:38:00  
I think you guys are going all the way black or white.
Just because you can find one use for a set, doesn't mean it's an extremely relevant set for that job.

Otherwise let's start talking about Cure Potency sets for MNK.
Can you find an use for that?
Yes, absolutely?
Is it relevant? No, it's niche.

It's the same for 5/5 Herc with Phalanx+5 on those jobs, with the mentioned partial exception.
Can it be useful? Wow! It totally can!
Is it a must have or a relevant set for those jobs? No it's a niche one.
Period.

If you deny this definition of what is "niche", then anything that can come up anyone's mind suddenly becomes relevant and at that point it becomes pointless to define what is or isn't because everything will be defined as such.
I still use Taeon for phalanx I can't give a ***about oseem DM augs tried forever got all pet ***for years so im with you ***is niche. I don't even notice the ***when watching others tank. I've learned over the years playing people seem to want every niche set to be a must sadly.
By fillerbunny9 2022-12-28 23:04:22  
Bismarck.Firedemon said: »
Are you really arguing that a Phalanx set for BLU is niche? I don't know a single BLU that doesn't have it in their spell rotation while /RDM. It's a standard spell to have, much less have a set for. Period.

Tell us you don't play BLU without telling us you don't play BLU.
I'll be honest, if I am in a situation where I am /RDM on BLU, Cocoon and Barrier Tusk are more than enough to carry me through (that might change if I decide I hate myself to cleave Apex for Exemplars, but I would call that niche, myself). I personally cannot justify making a Herc. Phalanx set because 1) Oseem and I do NOT agree on what stats belong on armor, and 2) I would be losing more inventory slots instead of just keeping my Taeon Phalanx pieces which I can also wear on RDM.
By SimonSes 2022-12-29 03:08:18  
fillerbunny9 said: »
Barrier Tusk

This is not even close to phalanx for most scenario.
Max Phalanx from /rdm is like 61 and 70 from KoH

In many events this will just lower the damage to 0, so by 100%, but even assuming you are getting hit for like 100, it's still -70% damage. Barrier Tusk is -15%.

Barrier Tusk is amazing for stuff like Timber, when you are getting hit for few thousands.
[+]
By Vaerix 2022-12-29 07:42:09  
Honestly niche is how often will you actually use something.

Definition: niche is a specific portion of a market that is united by a common interest or demographic.

Phalanx's Niche is reducing damage taken.

MNK with cure potency,
Can monk natively cure? No.
Does Monk use healing subjobs to utilize the Stat often? No,would be rarely at best.
Am I regularly in situations that this will benefit me? No.
This equals niche.

18 different accuracy sets,
Do I need every tier of accuracy mapped out? No.
Will I use these sets often? No.
Am I regularly in situations that this will benefit me? No.
This is niche.

BLU with Phalanx.
Can I natively cast Phalanx? No.
Do I regularly sub RDM? (Your answer here)
Am I regularly in situations that this will benefit me? (your answer here)

If you answered yes to one or both of those questions, it's not niche, because it would:

A: be something you have access to that you should use even without equipment enhancing it. At 144 enhancing skill(49RDM) Phalanx is a flat -12 damage, until you're getting hit for 200 damage+ per hit phalanx is reducing more damage with 0 gear, including enhancing skill+.

And

B: Is easily enhance-able to some ridiculous levels for a sub job ability. Merits(16), enhancing neck(10) brings the DR up to 15/hit. In 2 easily acquired steps, the fact that Taeon and her can double that easily too is another obvious thing.

Yes, if you rarely use /RDM or never have lots of things hitting you for low(sub 200) amounts of damage, Phalanx+/Enhancing skill looks niche af, but if you'd give it a second look it's one of the most useful spells that most people could have access to.

And since we're on the Rune page, talking about Herc/Taeon gear, it's not optional, it's necessary for the job's page we're on, As a tank reducing damage is your primary focus. And if you play this job and have the gear, every other job that can use it, and has access to phalanx, should be using it because it's free Damage Reduction.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2022-12-29 07:59:41  
Bismarck.Firedemon said: »
Are you really arguing that a Phalanx set for BLU is niche?
No I'm not, at least not completely.
I'm not putting the relevance of a Phalanx set for BLU as the same level of "relevance" as I'd put it for a PLD or RUN though.
BLU doesn't even get Phalanx spell natively and the spell conflicts with Barrier Tusk.

Still, I can't deny its utility. As a matter of fact I pridefully use a phalanx set for my BLU.
Compared to the other jobs on the list BLU has several quite key differences.

1) It's a "mage" job with native MP pool and blah blah
2) In addition to its powerful and customizable traits, it has a plethora of defensive tools
3) It's a job notoriously efficient for dealing with masses of trained mobs through its plentiful and useful AoE spells

Latter is what I would call one of the ideal if not THE ideal scenario where Phalanx makes a big difference: lotsa low level targets hitting you.

So in light of this BLU is in a strange position. I can't put the relevance of a Phalanx set for BLU at the same level as other jobs like the mentioned ones. At the same time it's quite clear that defining Phalanx for BLU simply a "niche" would be quite... a limitating definition.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2022-12-29 08:07:30  
Vaerix said: »
That's a logical and valid point, but ultimately pointless in my very humble opinion.

You're bringing what should be an average/general level (partially and only partially influenced by subjective values) to what becomes a completely subjective level.

As respectful and valid that may be, it's ultimately pointless because at that point everybody gives their own personal definition and such definitions lose their meaning because they get a different one for each and every single person participating in the discussion.

It's sorta the same of what I said before.
"Niche" doesn't mean "useless".
It means it's something that has limited uses, be it for its intrinsic utility or for the frequency where its utility may prove successful.
Of course, like you rightfully mentioned, people do different things with their jobs.
The point is being aware that something you do, as frequent and useful as it may be for you, is something that the large majority of players, for whatever reason, would not do.
Failing to capture this awarness is what brings to the misunderstandings.

Just my two cents, of course.

As a matter of fact I have a PLETHORA of sets that are extremely niche.
Some become very useful for me.
Some I honestly admit I barely ever use but for some reason it makes me happy to keep them up to date.

I'm not at all against people managing "niche" sets for their jobs. I do that aplenty myself.
If I'm against something that's taking one of these potentially useful niche sets and defining them as mandatory, demanding or expecting that everybody should have them and breaking the definition of what is or isn't niche.
By Vaerix 2022-12-29 09:09:31  
Vaerix said: »
That's a logical and valid point, but ultimately pointless in my very humble opinion.

demanding or expecting that everybody should have them and breaking the definition of what is or isn't niche.

I'm not demanding and I'm sorry if it was construed that way, what I was intending was, if you have the sets for rune that your other job can use, and have access to the spell (whether natively or sj) its not a stretch to say this is the better option and throwing a line into a macro or copy and pasting a set shouldn't be something to fight over. If you don't have the gear, or access to the spell, deciding to acquire or use the gear is entirely on the player.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-12-29 09:11:44  
Arguing about the silliest ***in a guide.
[+]
 Odin.Creaucent
サーバ: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2022-12-29 15:26:26  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Arguing about the silliest ***in a guide.

Isn't that what we do on these forums though?
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By RiggityWrekd 2022-12-31 03:25:13  
Any recommendations for a good run Lua?

I'm not looking for something too complicated as I like to use my own macros. I'm looking for something that would allow me to gearswap for spells i.e. fast cast precast, enmity sird mid cast etc

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2023-01-04 10:23:04  
Here's mine but it's nothing special: https://pastebin.com/h12CLJyq

In fact it has a few holdovers to a bygone era in the form of ResistAilment toggles to swap in various gear back before it was optimal to just go full-tilt magic evasion instead. But as long as you leave those off, you'll never be affected by it.

It doesn't have any automation or do any stuff for you. The only thing remotely like that it has is you can give it a rune element, then every time you "/console gs c Rune" it will give you a rune of that element. Basically it was just a way for me to have 1 rune macro on my macro set rather than 8.
[+]
 Siren.Noxzema
サーバ: Siren
user: Noxzema
By Siren.Noxzema 2023-01-05 23:50:14  
Does anyone have an up to date spreadsheet for Rune? Figured I'd ask before putting in the time to update the one in the sticky.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By Nariont 2023-01-19 17:34:03  
Epeo easily, specially with nyame which heavily favors dimi
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 186 187 188 189 190