Endeavoring To Awaken --A Guide To Rune Fencer

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
First Page 2 3 ... 99 100 101 ... 188 189 190
 Sylph.Dravidian
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2016-10-10 15:37:04  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
>finish the fight in less than 2 mins
>you're too slow must be doing something wrong

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't be so obtuse. When they tell other people they are doing something wrong because they aren't killing it before it stands without even understanding the mechanics, of course they are going to get called out.
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-10-10 15:38:05  
Odin.Llewelyn said: »
People always say the "Provoke a few times" line without saying how long into the fight it usually stands up for them. From my experience, it was on a 90 second timer from time of engage, which lines up with how long it would take to do a "few Provokes" from 1 person. Has anyone actually gotten it to stand up before, say, the 60 second mark by having multiple people Provoke it in a shorter period of time?

/
[+]
 Sylph.Dravidian
By Sylph.Dravidian 2016-10-10 15:39:48  
People always say the "Provoke a few times" line without saying how long into the fight it usually stands up for them. From my experience, it was on a 90 second timer from time of engage, which lines up with how long it would take to do a "few Provokes" from 1 person. Has anyone actually gotten it to stand up before, say, the 60 second mark by having multiple people Provoke it in a shorter period of time?

The group of people I normally play with do.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-10-10 15:42:36  
Sylph.Dravidian said: »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't be so obtuse. When they tell other people they are doing something wrong because they aren't killing it before it stands without even understanding the mechanics, of course they are going to get called out.

Point is, if they're killing it that quickly anyway, your leet provoke strats have no bearing on it to begin with since clearly the ***standing up makes no difference to them.
 Odin.Llewelyn
サーバ: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-10-10 15:43:07  
Thanks for confirming a detail I haven't seen anyone clarify on forums until the final day of Ambuscade. I still prefer /BLM for faster Warping, though, which is also why we never bothered with trying to Provoke a 90 second fight into a 60 second one.
 Sylph.Dravidian
By Sylph.Dravidian 2016-10-10 15:43:28  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Point is, if they're killing it that quickly anyway, your leet provoke strats have no bearing on it to begin with since clearly the ***standing up makes no difference to them.

Point is, they imply people are doing it wrong, when they themselves could be killing it faster.
 Asura.Calatilla
サーバ: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2016-10-10 15:48:29  
Provoking a Gnole to get them to stand has been common knowledge since Asuran Claws learning, at least I thought it was common knowledge.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-10-10 15:49:27  
It's common knowledge on normal Gnoles, yes. Not all NMs have to share the same properties/"gimmicks" as their commmon counterpart, though.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-10-10 15:50:25  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Point is, they imply people are doing it wrong, when they themselves could be killing it faster.

¿ must've missed something cause the only part I saw any clarification on was the claim that RUN can't hold hate on the fight, not the speed at which you can kill or make the gnole stand up. then you came in and implied they were doing it wrong and/or not killing fast enough, and only after that was the provoke-making-it-stand-up-faster ***called into question. idk man.

Have seen a lot of stupid ***about this fight over the last month anyway, and a lot of really bad and easily verified to be wrong theories, so being skeptical about these things isn't so farfetched. Provoke one is, admittedly, the only one that ever made sense considering the basic gnole mechanics. But as Llewelyn says, not all gnoles work the same way, so not blindly believing someone without any evidence to support it (somehow, no one managed to substantiate anything with any evidence at all this entire month!) isn't worthy of badmouthing.

As claims suggest, some just kill it so quickly with or without it standing that they wouldn't even bother trying provoke to begin with. Big deal.
 Sylph.Dravidian
By Sylph.Dravidian 2016-10-10 15:53:31  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¿ must've missed something cause the only part I saw any clarification on was the claim that RUN can't hold hate on the fight, not the speed at which you can kill or make the gnole stand up. then you came in and implied they were doing it wrong and/or not killing fast enough, and only after that was the provoke-making-it-stand-up-faster ***called into question. idk man.

Have seen a lot of stupid ***about this fight over the last month anyway, and a lot of really bad and easily verified to be wrong theories, so being skeptical about these things isn't so farfetched. Provoke one is, admittedly, the only one that ever made sense considering the basic gnole mechanics. But as Llewelyn says, not all gnoles work the same way, so blindly believing someone without any evidence to support it (somehow, no one managed to substantiate anything with any evidence at all this entire month!) isn't worthy of badmouthing.

Quote:
Considering your DDs are only doing like half normal damage on that fight unless you take long enough for it to stand for some reason

Please, stop supporting bad info. You make guides for crying out loud.

I do agree with your in later parts of your response however. One reason I liked their latest post.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-10-10 16:12:47  
Basically, in my longer fights it always stood up about 90 seconds after engage. In early information sharing in the Ambuscade thread, someone claimed they got it to stand up after 3 or 4 Provokes riding their Provoke timer (this can imply only 1 person was Provoking in the group), which was about near my 90 second auto-stand timer I was experiencing, so I dismissed it as coincidence. It wasn't just me that was skeptical either. It wasn't until today I finally saw someone say "yeah, I got it to stand sooner than 60 seconds".
[+]
By Afania 2016-10-10 16:20:27  
If you roll with setup like tank DD DD cor brd geo you can get 4 provoke off in 30 sec, or 6 provoke if tank sub war.

If someone can prove 6 provoke can make it stand up 100% then it may be worth doing and vice versa.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-10-10 16:22:20  
Let's not start talking about how to optimize a fight that's going away tomorrow, lol.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-10-10 16:25:58  
A mere 7 hours from now at that. (: Orobon is probably going to be oroboring
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2016-10-10 16:29:54  
Going to try to be the voice of reason here and calmly move this along. The Ambuscade fight you are all discussing is done. This is literally the last day we'll be fighting it (til this rehash content is... rehashed). Also, no one will ever think to look back in a RUN guide for information about it. Post theories and experiences about Ambuscade somewhere else.

The most relevant thing said here, at least to the topic of a RUN Guide, is that the best sub for the fight was /blm, implying that the fights were so short enmity was irrelevant. Which is true. If you want to discuss enmity needs, pick a longer fight where a strong enmity start will start to dwindle as other jobs catch up. Which fights these might be will vary by group and strategy used. If I had to pick one that might provide good insight, I'd say Schah. Not his adds, but Schah itself, since the tank will likely have 15-18min of time to build hate before any actions are taken on it. And then it's a blitz of as much damage as can be made as quickly as possible for the remaining time. Even while using the BLM or BLM + COR method, we have our mages douse enmity away before the final push. But, then, we use a PUP tank on Schah.

IMHO, /nin is the best sub when fighting something that doesn't AOE or that does AOEs that don't go through shadows. There are few of these fights, and most of them don't use RUN or any real tank job because if /nin is capable of saving lives, use DDs and have them /nin--like the Master Trials.

Also IMHO, RUN needs the least help in building enmity of any tank job. It is an enmity machine. I like using /blu because most endgame fights inflict amnesia, which can't be fixed. Magic enmity all the way. It is also useful to get hate on a target and all its adds, like WOC, so a GEO's bubbles will apply to all sources of damage.

Sorry if this is rambley... I've two kids under the age of two and am exhausted! But I hope something here is useful to someone.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-10-10 16:39:07  
Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
Schah itself, since the tank will likely have 15-18min of time to build hate before any actions are taken on it
If you have a non-pet tank popping and holding Schah, they can super tank it and it's adds.
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-10-10 16:40:57  
Quote:
Not his adds, but Schah itself, since the tank will likely have 15-18min of time to build hate before any actions are taken on it.

Personally I prefer just supertanking all but the current target.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2016-10-10 16:41:17  
Also for those without the tanky SoA ring, you can likely replace it with Gelatinous ring +1 in most sets.
This is what I wear... Again, I apologize. I'm very tired, just waiting for dogs to come in so I can pass out!

Herc has -4% DT and the grip would be Refined Grip +1.

ammo="Staunch Tathlum",
head=Herc_DT_head,
neck="Loricate Torque +1",
ear1="Odnowa Earring",
ear2="Odnowa Earring +1",
body="Erilaz Surcoat +1",
hands=Herc_DT_hands,
ring1="Defending Ring",
ring2="Gelatinous Ring +1",
back=FC_JSE_back,
waist="Engraved Belt",
legs="Erilaz Leg Guards +1",
feet="Erilaz Greaves +1"
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2016-10-10 16:42:42  
Oh, we do it the reverse way. I pop on a tank job and then an auto takes Schah from me. As adds come my way, I super tank them while the kill group picks them off.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-10-10 16:46:00  
Not once have I experienced BLMs taking hate off a tank on a CL 150 NM outside of hate resets. With the enmity reduction on MBs, it just doesn't seem possible for an experienced tank to lose hate to mages. DDs is more of a challenge and requires a RUN that implements as much Enmity as they can in their JAs, uses enmity spells when they can, etc..

Subjob is honestly pretty inconsequential on most fights outside of a few circumstances where you want AoE enmity building or want to Utsusemi certain things (AoE on WoC wyverns, AoE on Erinys' adds if you don't kill them/split them up, Utsusemi on physical hate reset moves like Great Wheel, Utsusemi on mobs with stupid physical output like Mamool Ambuscade, maybe something from Master Trials; haven't done them yet). This is from an Epeo RUN's PoV, though. Non-Epeo RUNs will probably prefer to /BLU for Cocoon more often than not, which conveniently also covers the AoE enmity advantage, but once you get that Epeo and +3 Phalanx Taeon, I've found I pretty much don't take any damage from anything and most mobs have become boring. Only NM I've had to actually focus for was Intense Ambuscade's Mamool boss, which is about to not even exist.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-10-10 16:48:03  
Herc has -4% DT and the grip would be Refined Grip +1.

ammo="Staunch Tathlum",
head=Herc_DT_head,
neck="Loricate Torque +1",
ear1="Odnowa Earring",
ear2="Odnowa Earring +1",
body="Erilaz Surcoat +1",
hands=Herc_DT_hands,
ring1="Defending Ring",
ring2="Gelatinous Ring +1",
back=FC_JSE_back,
waist="Engraved Belt",
legs="Erilaz Leg Guards +1",
feet="Erilaz Greaves +1"
My DT set is identical to this except with Blistering Sallet +1, Balarama Grip and Flume Belt +1. I like the extra HP.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-10-10 16:52:34  
Regarding subjobs, on any fight where I can both tank and deal damage, which has included most of the big Aeonic 9 in melee strats, I sub SAM. Even in purely tank positions, I find Seigan + Third Eye extremely useful for dealing with large amounts of adds (such as WoC Wynavs, Ambuscade beastmen), especially when you need to reapply essential buffs like Phalanx. Most of this only applies because I'm using Epeolatry though. I do use /NIN for Byakko, Genbu, and Vinipata though (Yaksha moves are physical multihit).

I never unlocked BLU. #pureblood
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-10-10 16:56:38  
Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
I never unlocked BLU.

[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Pafos
Leonardo da Clippi
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Pafos 2016-10-10 17:16:21  
Afania said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Pafos said: »
It doesn't, really. Do your RUNs not use Crusade/enmity swaps on JAs and Flash/Foil or something? Only NM I had a hard time holding hate on was Vinipata for some reason. Normally I only use RUN JAs/Flash/Foil since I'm usually multi-boxing and don't have the time to be focusing on casting enmity spells nonstop. With capped haste and Inspiration, you're able to rotate Flash/Foil nearly nonstop if you wanted to, anyway.

Idk, but any time I am not RUN I find that people have trouble. I typically want to tank for this reason, but since the only other person I play with who is and equal or stronger DD than me is Chiaia so I can't do that. Besides I like being on BLU :P

Anyway, I was just on about /NIN and not enmity. Sorry for leaving the notion open to digression.
Did I miss the meeting where /NIN is the best thing for the majority of the situations over /BLU?

It's really not the enmity spell that makes blu preferable in situations favors blu, rather it's the def boost and possibly quick aoe without needing tp.

Enmity is just icing on the cake.

If you are doing UNM or htbc due to how enmity works there it's going to be tough to hold hate with either SJ, but tank isn't ideal in those content anyways. Other time that I find it tough is mythic bst spamming 40k move over and over with SPs.

It's very easy to hold hate in ambuscade or escha blm setup without ever needing blu spells.

I know this. Once again the topic was more "has everyone here just been subbing NIN to most content, and I never noticed"?

It was useful for this month's Intense Ambuscade I guess. Normal Ambuscade the best subjob was /BLM.

Didn't do this months ambuscade. I wanted to keep my sanity for a month.
But, yeah I always saw /NIN as a situational thing for something like a random month of ambu or the occasional NM.

Going to try to be the voice of reason here and calmly move this along. The Ambuscade fight you are all discussing is done. This is literally the last day we'll be fighting it (til this rehash content is... rehashed). Also, no one will ever think to look back in a RUN guide for information about it. Post theories and experiences about Ambuscade somewhere else.

The most relevant thing said here, at least to the topic of a RUN Guide, is that the best sub for the fight was /blm, implying that the fights were so short enmity was irrelevant. Which is true. If you want to discuss enmity needs, pick a longer fight where a strong enmity start will start to dwindle as other jobs catch up. Which fights these might be will vary by group and strategy used. If I had to pick one that might provide good insight, I'd say Schah. Not his adds, but Schah itself, since the tank will likely have 15-18min of time to build hate before any actions are taken on it. And then it's a blitz of as much damage as can be made as quickly as possible for the remaining time. Even while using the BLM or BLM + COR method, we have our mages douse enmity away before the final push. But, then, we use a PUP tank on Schah.

IMHO, /nin is the best sub when fighting something that doesn't AOE or that does AOEs that don't go through shadows. There are few of these fights, and most of them don't use RUN or any real tank job because if /nin is capable of saving lives, use DDs and have them /nin--like the Master Trials.

Also IMHO, RUN needs the least help in building enmity of any tank job. It is an enmity machine. I like using /blu because most endgame fights inflict amnesia, which can't be fixed. Magic enmity all the way. It is also useful to get hate on a target and all its adds, like WOC, so a GEO's bubbles will apply to all sources of damage.

Sorry if this is rambley... I've two kids under the age of two and am exhausted! But I hope something here is useful to someone.

Thank you <3

I find it easier to remember which things go through Occultation rather than which of the various TP moves from the 25 families of of mobs we all fight wipes shadows rather than absorbing AoE damage.
I mean, I don't even take the time to study the TP moves to note which can be absorbed by how many shadows on wiki. So...

When gathering for an event where you are fighting more than one thing I can't see leaving to change subs to come back.
I wouldn't want to tank /NIN for Kouryu or WoC, but oviously it is the best way to tank the first 50% of Kirin and his big meaty claws. Probably not the best example, but I don't feel like thinking of something better. But, any T3 mobs in RuAun I can't see using /NIN on either even if they are obviously easy.
The people who would read this guide don't think such a mob is easy though like a lot of us may.

I couldn't see wanting to use /NIN for Albumen, etc. Others, maybe, but I don't think it really changes much. I find enmity gets weird while the eyes of Maju are glowing and it seems to become much harder to hold until they are lit again. I melee setup Maju so while /NIN for delta is nice I find that to be a problem until it is easy while he is blinded. I obviously lack the vast experience of many RUNs here so, grain of salt. Figured we discuss this^ sorta thing.

I came here to raise the point because some new player started going off in the wrong direction under the assumption they need to sub NIN for everything due to the OP and ask about that.
I said that I was typically /BLU for most content. So, I figured I would come and start the discussion at the source.
Maybe things changed in the years since that was written, maybe not. Maybe I suck as a RUN, etc.

Unfortunately, I failed in the fact I mentioned new players /NIN will probably fall short when trying to hold hate because ones I typically encounter already do when subbing /BLU with more enmity tools at their disposal.
Then the flood gates to "*** enmity land" all opened up instead of /NIN land.
By Afania 2016-10-10 17:36:53  
Regarding subjobs, on any fight where I can both tank and deal damage, which has included most of the big Aeonic 9 in melee strats, I sub SAM. Even in purely tank positions, I find Seigan + Third Eye extremely useful for dealing with large amounts of adds (such as WoC Wynavs, Ambuscade beastmen), especially when you need to reapply essential buffs like Phalanx. Most of this only applies because I'm using Epeolatry though. I do use /NIN for Byakko, Genbu, and Vinipata though (Yaksha moves are physical multihit).

Hmmm interesting, I always sub BLU on Vinipata.... but I'm epeo-less so idk which is better..... ._.

Also I don't see how sub blu a better choice than nin on kirin either. But maybe melee setup is different.

Regardless I don't think nin is that bad. I have tanked NM that's more ideal to sub blu such as seiryu(HF) with sub NIN and there aren't much difference in terms of survivability.
 Quetzalcoatl.Pafos
Leonardo da Clippi
By Quetzalcoatl.Pafos 2016-10-10 17:42:03  

Hmmm interesting, I always sub BLU on Vinipata.... but I'm epeo-less so idk which is better..... ._.

Also I don't see how sub blu a better choice than nin on kirin either. But maybe melee setup is different.

Yeah, I want to make Lion/Epo just because there is nothing more awesome than a solid DD who can mitigate a ton of damage through parrying while holding hate and taking less magic damage/resisting effects. In which case /SAM is awesome.

That is only thing I find myself envious of because no one really does it. I mean I know of one person offhand who does.

/BLU because you just get shadows stripped through nonsense from Kouryu. Wings, spells, potentially being slowed hurting timers, etc. Shadows would be the best for the first 50% though. Spamming Blink is the new meta.
By Afania 2016-10-10 17:44:43  

Yeah, I want to make Lion/Epo just because there is nothing more awesome than a solid DD who can mitigate a ton of damage through parrying while holding hate and taking less magic damage/resisting effects. In which case /SAM is awesome.

That is only thing I find myself envious of because no one really does it. I mean I know of one person offhand who does.

/BLU because you just get shadows stripped through nonsense from Kouryu. Wings, spells, potentially being slowed hurting timers, etc. Shadows would be the best for the first 50% though. Spamming Blink is the new meta.

Lionheart is the next bandwagon REMA in FFXI 2018, calling it .______.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Pafos
Leonardo da Clippi
By Quetzalcoatl.Pafos 2016-10-10 17:46:06  

Lionheart is the next bandwagon REMA in FFXI 2018, calling it .______.

Problem is that only RUN is on it so 95% of the player base won't understand.

Just like BLU, and then if it ever catches on everyone will lose their ***yelling RUN is OP or something. Because it gets a ridiculous parry while winning the DD parse.
[+]
By Afania 2016-10-10 17:54:44  
Idk, I've noticed "let's pick lionheart next aeonic round!" trend in ls recently ._____.

Edit: Also 95% of players think RUN is DD anyways. I got denied to ambu vol 2 PUG when they shout for tanks .______.
 Asura.Pergatory
サーバ: Asura
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2016-10-10 18:00:19  
I'm sure /BLU is great on Kouryu, but you won't live long enough to see him without Epeo and 2100 JP because Kirin will one-shot you with a 3600 damage TP move.
First Page 2 3 ... 99 100 101 ... 188 189 190