フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
First Page 2 3 ... 235 236 237 ... 262 263 264
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-01 16:04:06  
Because when thf works, it works, and when it doesn't, it doesn't. There are no "when" mnk works, or "when" war works, or "when" sam works. (*)Current meta, "as a party member not counting smn burns arrow burns burst parties etcetcetc"

So, if you put effort into something that always works. It's time better spent.

You put 1000 hours into something to use sometimes, or 1000 hours into something that fits all scenarios.

And then you reply something;

And I repeat;
Asura.Eiryl said: »
it's subjective
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-02-01 16:13:43  
Because when thf works, it works, and when it doesn't, it doesn't. There are no "when" mnk works, or "when" war works, or "when" sam works. (*)Current meta, "as a party member not counting smn burns arrow burns burst parties etcetcetc"

So, if you put effort into something that always works. It's time better spent.

You put 1000 hours into something to use sometimes, or 1000 hours into something that fits all scenarios.

And then you reply something;

And I repeat;
it's subjective

Not sure what you mean, THF always works, same as every other melee DD. It has its own advantages like all melee jobs, but not sure what you mean. You mean when TH works? TH works in plenty of events Odyssey, Omen, Dynamis etc. Especially that we have almost no event when time pressure you to switch to better DD than THF. So assuming you can gear something to bis, its better to bis THF, so you can have both TH bis THF and good DD, than bis MNK to has great DD and trash TH THF (or no THF).
[+]
 Fenrir.Melphina
サーバ: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-02-01 17:06:21  
Quote:
Because when thf works, it works, and when it doesn't, it doesn't.

I honestly don't get what you're trying to say either eiryl. If you're fighting something where treasure hunter has no effect then you just come as a DD and kill stuff. Thief is as capable of a damage dealer as any of the other jobs at this point in time and people know it. The old level 75 era "throw more samurais at everything" meta is long dead and gone. If you have the gear there's no reason you can't just kill stuff alongside other DD's. Damage is damage. Plain and simple.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-01 19:45:43  

It's really simple. This happens every day.

> DD for content can I have it
< THF?
> Got anything else? WAR SAM BLU?
< But maithf1337 I haz tehbess stabbies
> Don't need TH
< StillDDthough?
> But not a ___

It's never about can. It's about efficiency.

It is advantageous to sink your effort into efficiency. On a macro scale. Your specific situation(s) are yours and yours alone.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-01 22:37:51  
It has a place, it's just opportunities for it are rare. You'd be starting from a zero tp.

If you had tact or wings etc then you'd prestack the TA and taws then taws again. Instead of bothering with a single ta hit.

Start of an ambuscade where you don't want to bother tacting up first, yeah go for it. It doesn't really accomplish much but it's free damage.

Same thing with SCH... people generally don't seem to realize you can burn a strat... and then NOT use it immediately. You can hold it, to get your timer burning before you expend it.
 Shiva.Phioness
サーバ: Shiva
user: Phioness
By Shiva.Phioness 2021-02-01 23:17:49  
Eiryl above you made the argument for other DD's over thief, but as I watch and learn from sources like the following video, thief is versatile, and if played efficiently can be a powerhouse. SAM and THF switch weapons part way through Tumult Curator Battle. Of note thf switches from Aeneas/Twastar build to Vajra/Twastar specifically for the Skillchain, but also because the spike damage on Vajra with Sneak Attack + Mandalic is Impressive, and they need to kill TC quick.

I think your inability to grasp the idea that the player makes the job, not the job the player, combined with your skewed image of self importance regarding knowledge, allow for little growth outside a narrowed minded deep-down-the-reddit-troll level of thinking.

Now let go of that online-ego-and embrace the goodness:
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-01 23:20:07  
You completely missed the point, possibly the whole idea in general. If that's your take away.
[+]
 Shiva.Phioness
サーバ: Shiva
user: Phioness
By Shiva.Phioness 2021-02-01 23:36:33  
Nope I got your point, just like I get you buddy. I think you need a hug, from what I understand, people such as yourself live online in forums because either one or both parents didn't give them the kind of affection they needed.

But I'm a thief, and while I'll steal the hearts of ladies, to a brother who needs love I welcome all the thieves here in OUR forum to join together and:

/GROUP HUG FOR EIRYL

=^.^=

I'll be your Robinhood (not the sheisty trading one) Eyril, I will steal all the negative thoughts that consume you, and throw them down the poo-poo well.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-02-01 23:46:42  
Quote:
both parents didn't give them the kind of affection they needed

Dude what?
[+]
 Asura.Kusare
user: gaira
By Asura.Kusare 2021-02-02 00:42:45  
back on track, r15 twashtar tonight. centovente in the works as we speak
By SimonSes 2021-02-02 02:10:52  

It's really simple. This happens every day.

> DD for content can I have it
< THF?
> Got anything else? WAR SAM BLU?
< But maithf1337 I haz tehbess stabbies
> Don't need TH
< StillDDthough?
> But not a ___

It's never about can. It's about efficiency.

It is advantageous to sink your effort into efficiency. On a macro scale. Your specific situation(s) are yours and yours alone.

Ignoring Phioness for obvious reasons, I understand you mean that most of the playerbase from PUGs going by meta standards wont recognize THF as DD that good as WAR/DRK/SAM/MNK? Then I can maybe agree, but if we are talking about actual usefulness and efficiency, then I wont agree. Ofc gearing meta picks will always let you join meta pugs (tho probably its mostly like that on Asura), but meta is there to break it and show people that its not the only solution.

Also Ambuscade is kinda different topic, because meta there changes every month and many times melee DD jobs arent in it at all.
[+]
 Asura.Finbar
user: Finbar
By Asura.Finbar 2021-02-06 19:48:13  

What's the best direction to go from here with AE? Is it worth losing a point or two of MAB for more WSD, or just try to aim for WSD on top of +35 MAB? What about that INT+10 piece? I'm just trying to configure my MAGA for gains now, since Pellucids are so cheap and giving good results (the above was maybe 3000 stones), and the pieces are close to maxing out on MAB now. I wouldn't mind throwing another 10k stones to see what I get.
By DaneBlood 2021-02-06 22:00:37  
so if im getting this rigght ,way to best imrpovement moving from MAX DPS tp set over to hybridg is replacing the amor slot with maligance sets first ?
By SimonSes 2021-02-07 02:27:44  
Since Malignance is the best hybrid and turtle set in game, that would be the most logical approach :)
[+]
By Crossbones 2021-02-07 13:40:09  
That's the most unintentionally hilarious string of gibberish I've read in a long time. I've read it five times now and I'm still not sure who the salesman or bratty step sister are in this story but I'm hooked and want to know more.
[+]
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-02-10 01:19:36  
Posting our new Odyssey gear set here for discussion. Augments are currently unknown, but the base stats are delicious enough to talk about as they are.

Quote:
Gleti's Mask

DEF:152 HP+68 STR+33 DEX+28 VIT+30 AGI+23 INT+19 MND+19 CHR+19 Accuracy+40 Attack+40 Magic Accuracy+40 Evasion+83 Magic Evasion+86 "Magic Def. Bonus"+13 Haste+6% Enmity-8 Physical damage limit +6% "Regain"+2 Critical hit rate +5% Physical damage taken -6% Pet: Accuracy+50 Ranged Accuracy+50 Magic Accuracy+50
THF / BST / DRG / BLU / DNC

Gleti's Cuirass

DEF:184 HP+91 STR+39 DEX+34 VIT+39 AGI+26 INT+26 MND+26 CHR+26 Accuracy+40 Attack+40 Magic Accuracy+40 Evasion+94 Magic Evasion+102 "Magic Def. Bonus"+15 Haste+3% Physical damage limit +9% "Waltz" potency +10% "Regain"+3 Critical hit rate +8% Physical damage taken -9% Pet: Accuracy+50 Ranged Accuracy+50 Magic Accuracy+50

Gleti's Gauntlets

DEF:138 HP+68 STR+20 DEX+42 VIT+43 AGI+15 INT+14 MND+30 CHR+24 Accuracy+40 Attack+40 Magic Accuracy+40 Evasion+72 Magic Evasion+75 "Magic Def. Bonus"+12 Haste+3% "Regain"+2 Physical damage limit +7% Critical hit rate +6% Physical damage taken -7% Pet: Accuracy+50 Ranged Accuracy+50 Magic Accuracy+50 Damage taken -8%

Gleti's Greaves

DEF:165 HP+79 STR+49 VIT+37 AGI+23 INT+30 MND+20 CHR+17 Accuracy+40 Attack+40 Magic Accuracy+40 Evasion+77 Magic Evasion+112 "Magic Def. Bonus"+14 Haste+5% Physical damage limit +8% "Sic" and "Ready" ability delay -5 "Regain"+3 Critical hit rate +7% Physical damage taken -8% Pet: Acc.+50 Ranged Acc.+50 Magic Acc.+50

Gleti's Boots

DEF:119 HP+57 STR+28 DEX+29 VIT+26 AGI+33 MND+12 CHR+26 Accuracy+40 Attack+40 Magic Accuracy+40 Evasion+110 Magic Evasion+112 "Magic Def. Bonus"+13 Haste+3% "Regain"+2 Physical damage limit +5% Critical hit rate +4% Physical damage taken -5% Pet: Accuracy+50 Ranged Accuracy+50 Magic Accuracy+50 Summoned Pet: Lv.+1

The first thing that comes to mind is that with the right buildaround you could create an offensive hybrid set with this that surpasses malignance. There's a lot of magic evasion and evasion, but what really sets this set apart is that it also has magic defense. There's no magic damage taken, but you can cap that with shell V, a pair of moonlight rings (or throw in defending), and magic damage taken on the ambuscade cape. The 5/5 set only has 20% gear haste, so you'd need 6% more from the accessories, and I'm not sure how to best compensate for that off the top of my head. The accuracy/attack, crit rate and regain make it a really nasty looking set to hybrid in, and the regain especially makes it a brilliant idle set.

The other thought is that with all that crit rate and offensive potential these pieces fit right into evisceration. But I don't think most are best in slot in their current form. Our relic and artifact legs should still be better, but head and feet are probably a bump up from adhemar, and I'm not sure on the hands versus mummu yet. But once the augments are known that could change things and for all I know the whole set could be BiS. Thow in something silly like crit damage bonus or triple attack rate and it's a done deal. We'll have to see, but the set has a lot of promise.

Also interesting note is that the hat has enmity down. Not sure how relevant that is, but it's something i noticed when looking at the specifics of each piece and since it's pretty easy to overlook in that pile of stat dump I figured I'd point it out.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Avereith
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-02-10 01:39:24  
Im not that interested in it for most purposes (too many other jobs to care about atm), but I can't wait to see what happens to the evisceration set with the new gear :D
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-02-10 01:49:46  
I'm really looking forward to the evisceration implications myself. But the augs are definitely a make or break for several of the pieces because they already have fierce competition. Our relic vest has crit rate AND crit damage, and dex accuracy and attack. Standalone is just beats Gliti. Similarly, our artifact legs have 5% crit damage, and they also have accuracy, attack, and dexterity... which gliti has none of. The lack of enhancing the dexterity modifier sorely hurts gliti leg's chances out outperforming our artifact legs. In the same vein, mummu gloves has higher dex and the same crit rate, and that dexterity modifier is extremely important.

So the only two pieces I think are possibly BiS as standalone are the head and feet, and they compete with adhemar bonnet and feet +1. But again.... if the augments are in the sets favor those could turn things around. Critical hit damage or triple attack rate in particular are the two stats that it wants most if it's going to surpass our other alternatives. But if they did get those as augments then this set would become busted beyond belief.... so we'll have to wait and see.
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-02-10 03:29:48  
This set doesnt have high meva, its also not offensively better than Malignance imo. This set will have better white damage, but it lacks tons of store TP that Malignance has. Not enough haste is another problem. You will probably need to DW on cape and use haste on belt or use Seething Bomblet R15 (but I think both solutions are ideal since you will be fraction of % below delay cap). Regain on this is weak (at least for THF). +12 Regain is ok for idle, but its nothing significant during TP. You can compare it to like 5 store TP and it would lose probably lol.

I kinda loo at this set more like WS set for now >.>
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-02-10 03:32:28  
Fenrir.Melphina said: »
so you'd need 6% more from the accessories, and I'm not sure how to best compensate for that off the top of my head

Sailfi belt+1 or seething like Simon mentioned. Break out that shijo for dw
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2021-02-10 03:42:08  
Yeah, don't know why I should be excited about the regain. That leaves crit hit rate as the next offensive stat to be excited about, and it's nothing special there. I think this set will live or die based on it's augments. Malignance is just that good.
By SimonSes 2021-02-10 04:12:37  
Ragnarok.Blindphleb said: »
Yeah, don't know why I should be excited about the regain. That leaves crit hit rate as the next offensive stat to be excited about, and it's nothing special there. I think this set will live or die based on it's augments. Malignance is just that good.

It seems really good for WS. evisceration being obvious one, but PDL on this could kinda compete with WSD on some items? didnt have time to analyze it yet.

Also not for THF, but BLU CDC and DNC Pyrrhic maybe and dRG with Shining One and maybe Drakesbane? Tho Drakesbane has attack penelty, so not really work well with that PDL XD
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-02-10 04:28:37  
Quote:
Also not for THF, but BLU CDC and DNC Pyrrhic maybe.

Dancer would have to gain some benefit from the physical damage limit to take advantage of it for pyrric, otherwise its existing options are better. lustra cap and feet +1, adhemar vest +1, samnuha tights, adhemar gloves +1.... they all have better total WSC mods and similar enough accuracy/attack values that it boils down to physical damage limit. But by that point I'd be concerned the mob is weak enough that it wouldn't live long enough to survive all the swings, so it may be moot anyway.

And I agree with your assesment on it's use as a hybrid set. Upon second glance at the set I rescind my earlier excitement for it. My initial take was from my first impression, but after analyzing it harder you're right. Malignance IS just that good. Gleti's base stats are much worse than malignance in a hybrid build because the store tp really is THAT significant, and currently I wouldn't want to weaponskill in it save for head and feet in evisceration. The augments on Gliti will make or break it for me. Until we know them it's up in the air how good the set will really be.

It's a Killer idle set though, for whatever that's worth. I honestly think it's worth it to pick up a Schneddick ring for move speed +18 and wear the 5/5 just for the regain when you're running between camps. It's defensive "enough" to serve that purpose and the extra tp at the start of a fight should really add up over time. At this stage of the game I'd gladly pay 30 million gil for regain + 12 in my idle, so it's totally worth a pickup for that alone.
By SimonSes 2021-02-10 04:41:35  
 Asura.Essylt
user: quro
By Asura.Essylt 2021-02-10 06:06:26  
Are those the final augments? Or is it just the level available now?
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2021-02-10 06:32:40  
Nobody knows, but quite likely there's gonna be a third augment, as suggested by the "wrong" data mine that happened on the previous bunch of gear.
By SimonSes 2021-02-10 07:26:17  
Asura.Essylt said: »
Are those the final augments? Or is it just the level available now?

Those are maxed out augments for 1 and 2 row. To check whats in 3rd row you probably need to beat NM at V15
By SimonSes 2021-02-10 08:02:49  
Lol I had a good feeling lol...

5/5 Gleti is bis for Evisceration if you are att capped and it actually make THF damage skyrocket in Tauret set >.> Im getting 9.4k dps without SATA (just spamming Evis). That beats even Twashtar/Cento. Thats also without 3rd augment. I think it can have even more potential on DNC with building flourish >.>

Also switching to full Malignance for TP Im getting 8182 DPS, but you have high survivability in both TP and WS set!
First Page 2 3 ... 235 236 237 ... 262 263 264