PLD Vs NIN...Who Is The Best Tank?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » PLD vs NIN...Who is the best tank?
PLD vs NIN...Who is the best tank?
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 11 12 13
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
サーバ: Midgardsormr
Game: FFXI
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-06-12 14:06:07  
Blazza said:
Well Dasva and Dubont made it sound pretty much meh, but Froebus made it sound pretty damn good, so I'll direct this question at you: Why is it so damn uncommon?

And to Dubont: Are Apathy the LS that BEAT PW or are they the ones that did the 18 hour fight? Two totally different cases.

Sam tank can be very good, but it requires very good gear, and also brains.

Little to no survivability w/o good support. 3rd eye is wiped with an AOE ws but not by AOE magic. Player must be able to swap full sets of gear quickly.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
サーバ: Fairy
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-06-12 14:12:01  
To avoid a quote train, I'd like to just say that a BLU/NIN tank seems like a mix of PLD/NIN and NIN/DRK. We have plenty of spammable spells that pull hate. Head Butt, Jettatura, Actinic Burst, Temporal Shift, etc. are great supportive spells that pull a large amount of hate. Spike damage from the big three can rival WS power and also pull hate. While our gear isn't shared with PLD much, we do have access to significant damage reduction gear through Genbu's, Jelly Ring, Defending Ring (Well, we do get it!), Cheviot/Umbra Cape, Denali Wristbands (eh), etc. As for magic, we can equip Magic Defense Bonus and have MDB boosting spells, like Amplification and Saline Coat (well...).

Of course, without some form of refresh, a BLU tank will probably struggle. Also while Expiacion may be Atonement in Spanish, it unfortunately isn't Atonement in damage.
[+]
 Siren.Thoraeon
サーバ: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2009-06-12 14:15:17  
Azulmagia said:
To avoid a quote train, I'd like to just say that a BLU/NIN tank seems like a mix of PLD/NIN and NIN/DRK. We have plenty of spammable spells that pull hate. Head Butt, Jettatura, Actinic Burst, Temporal Shift, etc. are great supportive spells that pull a large amount of hate. Spike damage from the big three can rival WS power and also pull hate. While our gear isn't shared with PLD much, we do have access to significant damage reduction gear through Genbu's, Jelly Ring, Defending Ring (Well, we do get it!), Cheviot/Umbra Cape, Denali Wristbands (eh), etc. As for magic, we can equip Magic Defense Bonus and have MDB boosting spells, like Amplification and Saline Coat (well...).

Of course, without some form of refresh, a BLU tank will probably struggle. Also while Expiacion may be Atonement in Spanish, it unfortunately isn't Atonement in damage.

Also, BLU has Cocoon, one of the best defense boost spells out there.
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-12 14:15:18  
Frobeus said:

I knew there was a catch, finding a sam with brains...
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-06-12 14:17:21  
Blazza said:
Frobeus said:

I knew there was a catch, finding a sam with brains...

There are about 8 of us out there.
 Siren.Thoraeon
サーバ: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2009-06-12 14:17:35  
For that matter, PLD/BLU was the Super Tank for Divine Might. Had Def close to 999 after Cocoon. (A very well geared Palidan.)
 Asura.Ludoggy
サーバ: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-06-12 14:52:02  
wait...we even need to talk about pld vs nin?
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-06-12 14:54:38  
User submitted image
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-06-12 14:56:11  
Alyria said:
User submitted image

^^ for effectiveness
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-13 01:46:01  
So... doing the numbers on blu/pld... seems sentinel diffusion exuviation flash actinic burst jettura+ temporal shift can get you over 90% of the way to the nondecaying hate cap in like 10 secs... double that amount in decaying hate... to give an example thatd be about 25% more decaying hate then sentinel invincible which gives like pretty much 0 nondecaying... just need to find way too stay alive... hmmm couple of rdm/drks with me super haste can damn near stun lock most mobs...
 Asura.Krebons
user: Krebons
By Asura.Krebons 2009-06-13 01:58:20  
not reading 6 pages of this but heres what i have to say, the one that gets hit the least and doesnt consume up mp and holds their hate wins ive seen ninja hold suzakuu better then paladins, ive seen paladins hold cerebus better then a ninja, but hey, whoever does it the best
 Garuda.Feifongwong
サーバ: Garuda
By Garuda.Feifongwong 2009-06-13 02:06:28  
Alyria said:
User submitted image

WD40 gets rid of trolls?! Neato! o_O
 Bismarck.Altar
サーバ: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2009-06-13 03:06:26  
Blazza said:
And to Dubont: Are Apathy the LS that BEAT PW or are they the ones that did the 18 hour fight? Two totally different cases.

Apathy beat them. The ls that was featured as being in the insanely long fight was Above The Limitation? Beyond the Limitation? Something along those lines...

Also, to the vets on the forum, did you guys *seriously* spend an entire page arguing with someone who a) thinks that nin/pld tanks have a place in merit parties and b) appears to have never even seen Atonement in action? >.>
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-13 09:10:08  
Dasva said:
So... doing the numbers on blu/pld... seems sentinel diffusion exuviation flash actinic burst jettura+ temporal shift can get you over 90% of the way to the nondecaying hate cap in like 10 secs... double that amount in decaying hate... to give an example thatd be about 25% more decaying hate then sentinel invincible which gives like pretty much 0 nondecaying... just need to find way too stay alive... hmmm couple of rdm/drks with me super haste can damn near stun lock most mobs...

Diffusion > Sentinel > Exuviation will get you 7680 of both CE and VE, following it up with either temporal shift or actinic burst will get you an extra 2k VE which is ridiculously close to cap and put you on over 8k CE. Yawn, sheep song, soporific, blank gaze and geist wall will all increase your CE by ~450 by this stage in sentinel and all have a 3 second cast time. They'll also increase VE by the same amount, so there's no real need to concentrate too heavily on VE.

So basically. Best hate you'll get (probably for any job) is diffusion > sentinel > Exuviation > temporal shift (or actinic burst) and then just rotate sheep song/blank gaze/soporific/geist wall/yawn depending on which are cheapest MP cost (in the order I said I think) and then just use actinic burst and temporal shift as needed, with the occasional jettatura just to be damn sure your VE stays capped.

Staying alive is a different issue, but no other job combination can create this sort of enmity and sustain it. pld/rdm or rdm/anything would win for sustaining the hate, thanks to fast cast, but no other job can get that much hate that fast. The only catch is that Exuviation has to hit all 6 members of your party for max hate, and it doesn't have a great range.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-13 10:21:36  
Well the exuviation shouldn't be hard just gotta do it once at the start so not really that hard to get all 6pt members together. As far as the sleep magic the only problem with them is they take a full 3 seconds too use. Besides if 2 flashes a stun and and jettura when its up ever min lol isnt enough especially when you practically start at the VE cap and and have more CE then a pld who did sentinel invincible theres something wrong lol. That being said if you gear your flashes for macc and can get full duration on them combine with full -50% recast you should be able to keep mobs almost constantly flashed and with occasionally stuns it might be pretty survivable... unfortunately I still need some more merits and to lvl pld sub lol and exuviation... its proving just a tad too difficult to solo.... though I think I have an idea that should work it almost did last time.
 Remora.Kindle
サーバ: Remora
user: Kindle
By Remora.Kindle 2009-06-13 10:23:05  
I laugh this thread is even here...
 Diabolos.Cyr
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Cyr
By Diabolos.Cyr 2009-06-13 11:17:46  
Zorander said:
Cyr said:
Zorander said:
Who is the best tank?!? and the only options are Pld > Nin? I didn't read every post but there certainly more jobs to ad to the mix before we determine "Best Tank!"

Now if we are talking about keeping hate in a xp situation and ease of doing so I think it would be pld..but past 37 with a good nin tank that can keep shadows up and actually use ele wheel to keep hate then its a mix they both do fine. I think that Nin does need an update and Pld has way more tools to keep hate as well as get that hate back should it be lost to some over eager DD.

Now "End Game" or HNM is completely different. Nin/drk can be great and so can Drk/nin in certain situations(Like Faf, or other HNM, gogogo Dreadspikes.)

As far as which tank I prefer, in most end game situations where the fight is longer than 5 min, then I would choose rdm/nin. Alot of ppl just don't give rdm/nin a chance and you do have to do the fight a little differently and it's actually better to have 2 Rdm/nin bouncing hate.

Almost any job has the potential to tank it just depends on the person behind the job and how good they are. Hell i've even tanked Faf on whm(granted it was only Faf, but still..)

At least you learned something before I left :p

u my boo

I learned this before I even knew of the existance of Cyr/Houdini, but if you want to take credit for by all means you can have it..sooner or later more ppl will learn the uberness of rdm/nin, but then again ppl are always stuck in there lame ways and will never listen to the voice of reason..but whatever if they wish to fail who am I to stop them?

Ok ok, I'll give you that one. But only because you seemed to be one of the more competent players on Bahamut :p

Houdini? lol

Also, no more afkmeripos :(
 Kujata.Checo
サーバ: Kujata
user: Checo
By Kujata.Checo 2009-06-13 12:25:13  
awww
 Asura.Lordgenbu
user: Lordgenbu
By Asura.Lordgenbu 2009-06-13 12:35:54  
Ktjrn said:
Pallys are great b/c i dont have to remind him/her to keep their f'n shadows up. ninja is fast, quick, but requires more mp from mages for cures, whatnot, whereas pld have their own pool, higher defense, and overall better damage. Less curing and bitching from me :)

Ugh.. This post is a disgrace especially coming from a 72 WHM. Lrn2endgame then say that please, if you have a NIN not keeping his shadows up or subbing DRK then kick him out of the LS that you're in.
 Asura.Lordgenbu
By Asura.Lordgenbu 2009-06-13 12:42:24  
Urial said:
Kiriyu said:
PLD/NIN
wat.

Wrong
there is no "best" and thats with me being a 75 PLD....PLD/NIN can tank most situations with goos Sa and Ta from THF and /THF dd, also back up tanks to occasionally hold hate long enough for the main to get a full recover of ability and shadow timers....but as i said that is pld/nin is preferred for most because of versatility. But what if you dont have the numbers for that, 2 NIN/DRK with a thf can hold some major hate as well as survive for a long time i geared properly. Also certain mobs wdeal damage so fast neither a nin or pld can keep shadows up requires a RDM. So as its been stated above there is no "best tank" But IMO PLD/NIN as a main tank with another PLD/NIN or NIN/War or DRK off tank is the preffered set up by most LS's.

I think I sense a PLD who doesn't have Atonement or ever done a ground king before! Hello /THF. <3
[+]
 Shiva.Artemicion
サーバ: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-06-13 12:50:59
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Well I'm not gonna read through 6 pages of heated arguments on which is better for whatever reasons. I'm just gonna put in my two gil and say either tank is conditional for the situation at hand. However, I do think PLD has a much wider range of utilization and function than NIN does, and overall has more tools for controlling enmity which is key.
 Asura.Lordgenbu
By Asura.Lordgenbu 2009-06-13 13:35:36  
As a 75 PLD and one of the main tanks of an LS that is actually good I have to say PLD overall is the better tank despite all the arguments in the past posts. Yes a PLD can outDD a NIN in HNM for the love of god, don't ever say a NIN can outDD a PLD.. Maybe in XP parties that is true but not in HNM that's for damn sure, besides who the *** needs a tank in a merit party? I have better use for a PUP and hit 28k/hour then a tank. Anyways besides the point the only time I can say NIN is a better situational tank and this means like super crazed up geared NIN is on Tiamat. Other then that if you need the magic down stuff and ignore shadows, have your PLD come PLD/RDM. Plain and simple, NIN is a job I've yet to see my LS use but anyways if you have an argument against that then prove me a valid statement.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-13 13:41:06  
Kanican tanks just about everything nin/drk and makes good arguments why...
 Carbuncle.Corrderio
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Corrderio
By Carbuncle.Corrderio 2009-06-13 14:16:38  
Is it 2004?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-13 14:20:16  
Corrderio said:
Is it 2004?

Yes
 Odin.Gaea
user:
By Odin.Gaea 2009-06-13 14:30:28
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Geomancer
 Carbuncle.Corrderio
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Corrderio
By Carbuncle.Corrderio 2009-06-13 14:31:44  
Dasva said:
Corrderio said:
Is it 2004?

Yes

OMG I mastered Time Travel!!!
 Kujata.Malicfayt
サーバ: Kujata
user: Malicfayt
By Kujata.Malicfayt 2009-06-13 15:19:48  
6 pages of stuff im not going to read.

Out of pure reliability i'm going with Pld over Ninja. I Will not bore you with the details.. because honestly, Thats just how it is.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-14 03:03:08  
Dasva said:
Well the exuviation shouldn't be hard just gotta do it once at the start so not really that hard to get all 6pt members together. As far as the sleep magic the only problem with them is they take a full 3 seconds too use. Besides if 2 flashes a stun and and jettura when its up ever min lol isnt enough especially when you practically start at the VE cap and and have more CE then a pld who did sentinel invincible theres something wrong lol. That being said if you gear your flashes for macc and can get full duration on them combine with full -50% recast you should be able to keep mobs almost constantly flashed and with occasionally stuns it might be pretty survivable... unfortunately I still need some more merits and to lvl pld sub lol and exuviation... its proving just a tad too difficult to solo.... though I think I have an idea that should work it almost did last time.

Das, take a look at what's available to different jobs for CE. PLD has not a damn thing besides flash for CE, and even that only gives 180. While all those blu spells I mentioned do have 3 second cast times, there's not a whole heap of spells that are better. I think rdm has 1 spell with the same enmity and 2.5 second cast time.

And yes, keeping VE capped is important, but don't forget that you lose CE everytime you lose a shadow (although re-applying shadows counteracts this loss) or take damage. So you still have to concentrate on keeping CE AND VE capped. VE degrades at 60 a second if I recall correctly, which means that you need to use Actinic Burst, Temporal Shift or Flash every 16.6 seconds to recap VE. Since you can't go over the cap there's no point in using them any more than this (and recast on those three spells will make it hard to anyway), so if your only concern is holding hate then using blank gaze, sheep song etc. whenever you get the chance will help fill up any gaps in your CE from damage that your three VE spells won't, as well as help slow the degradation of your VE to keep that as close to cap as possible too.
 Fairy.Lethewaters
サーバ: Fairy
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2009-06-14 03:13:26  
Ludoggy said:
wait...we even need to talk about pld vs nin?

It comes up like every month it seems.

As someone mentioned before, its all SITUATIONAL. Hell even a War or SAM can tank as well as a RDM than both jobs at certain points.
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 11 12 13