Which HQ Staff Would You Buy?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Which HQ staff would you buy?
Which HQ staff would you buy?
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-10 02:01:47  
Fine ill test nekkid then that being said the more int you get the less of an effect it has while the staffs bonus is a static precentage.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-06-10 02:10:08  
Amara said:
But when 10-20 damage bonus from elemental skill and +5 dmg is the same damage bonus from the proper staves +10% you might as well bump up your elemental skill to lower chance of resists.

Innate MAcc bonus. The HQ staves have at least double that number in MAcc, possibly triple. iirc if the NQ staves MAcc comes out on the low end of the range it still equals the Skill on Aquilo's. If you're only getting 25 extra damage out of using your staff I'd be worried personally, but I also macro extensively so I'd never be in the situation you described where I'm casting in non-nuking gear. Under that situation I could maybe understand, but mages really should be macrod imo.
 Garuda.Amara
サーバ: Garuda
user: Amara
By Garuda.Amara 2009-06-10 02:13:27  
Well if it was something meaning full other then farming raptor skins/angel skins and leveling my npc with a friend, yes I also macro extensively, but I also have a melee macro set on rdm that doesn't switch in all that gear. When farming I'll take my inventory space of doing harder nukes when I'm mainly just hasting myself and a thf and curing our NPCs.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-06-10 02:20:07  
Back to efficiency I guess. Doing more damage means my MP is being used more effectively, so might as well get back to macroing so stuff dies faster. Pre-satchel that's a viable argument that I followed, though; if I had to farm on BLM I'd dump everything but my nuking and hMP gear for space. These days I make room in my satchel instead, which usually involves moving some of my BLU gear and some miscellanea I keep on me for various situations.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-10 02:24:28  
Here going nekkid except staffs and before you get into 3 is very shallow these forumlas are very precise and capping resistance and no change in game/day etc and doing the exact same dmg should be enough to show this is the normal dmg
With aquillo staff
User submitted image
with vulcan
User submitted image
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-06-10 02:29:51  
And that's clearly enough of a difference that Aquilo's is not going to outdamage a Fire Staff either. Case closed as far as I'm concerned, because the Skill+ is not going to outdamage straight potency under reasonable circumstances.
[+]
 Garuda.Amara
By Garuda.Amara 2009-06-10 02:32:01  
Nightfyre said:
Back to efficiency I guess. Doing more damage means my MP is being used more effectively, so might as well get back to macroing so stuff dies faster. Pre-satchel that's a viable argument that I followed, though; if I had to farm on BLM I'd dump everything but my nuking and hMP gear for space. These days I make room in my satchel instead, which usually involves moving some of my BLU gear and some miscellanea I keep on me for various situations.

Satchel full... /sigh Mog house full, storage, safe all full. If I was just fishing the manta, yes I would have nuking gear on me and be macroing it, but because I was fighting other things as well and raptor skins sell so nicely I decided to rely on my farming partner for the morning to help kill faster.

Too Dasva, when I get home I will go find me a Giant bee, though will be Aquilo's Vs. Fire staff since I don't yet own vulcan staff. Which area did you kill Giant bees in? Just so I can compare.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-10 02:32:01  
Nightfyre said:
And that's clearly enough of a difference that Aquilo's is not going to outdamage a Fire Staff either. Case closed as far as I'm concerned, because the Skill+ is not going to outdamage straight potency under reasonable circumstances.

well thats not really the reason skill only adds macc and the same element staffs add more its really the +% dmg vs 5int
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-10 02:37:42  
Amara said:

Too Dasva, when I get home I will go find me a Giant bee, though will be Aquilo's Vs. Fire staff since I don't yet own vulcan staff. Which area did you kill Giant bees in? Just so I can compare.

Well I did sarbuta but really as long as you don't get a fire resistant mob and and stick to ones that low lvl shouldn't make much difference and none if it just compare your dmg to your dmg.
Nows me in nuking gear only /blm but really don't need the extra elemental skill from /sch
Vulcan:
User submitted image
Aquillos:
User submitted image
As you can see the more int you have the less of a difference the same amount will have compared to the static % of the staffs hence the wider gap this time. Was 66 nekkid now its 84
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-06-10 02:40:37  
Dasva said:
Nightfyre said:

well thats not really the reason skill only adds macc and the same element staffs add more its really the +% dmg vs 5int

Right, sorry, it's late here and I'm not thinking straight. Off to bed before I mess up like that again, thanks for testing this so I didn't have to XD

EDIT: best option is to stick to the level 0 mobs for elimination of variables anyway, not that it's going to skew results here.
 Garuda.Amara
By Garuda.Amara 2009-06-10 02:45:00  
I'll find some poor level 0-1 mob and poke it with a Fire 3 since that's my most recent spell, then I'll poke it with a few other spells compared to Aquilo's... as long as I can stay awake long enough that is lol
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-10 02:49:26  
Amara said:
I'll find some poor level 0-1 mob and poke it with a Fire 3 since that's my most recent spell, then I'll poke it with a few other spells compared to Aquilo's... as long as I can stay awake long enough that is lol

Thats actually why I chose fire 3 even though I dont have it maccrod... that and it was thundersday and would've thrown everything off lol.
 Garuda.Amara
By Garuda.Amara 2009-06-10 08:16:44  
User submitted image

First test in gear show, torque is enfeebling, not elemental.

User submitted image

Second test in gear shown with skill I have with Aquilo's -10 with Fire of course.

I would think the difference would be lessened on higher level mobs when not breaking 300-400 damage. Shown using the tier 1 spells how without elemental gear the difference is alot less.
 Asura.Sharpe
サーバ: Asura
user: Takezaki
By Asura.Sharpe 2009-06-10 08:31:34  
As SCH I went Ice -> Dark -> Thunder -> Wind -> Earth -> Light. I can count the amount of times I've casted Fire IV and Water IV on one hand. Light is nice for Luminohelix which I cast surprisingly often.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-06-10 08:34:35  
Amara said:
Dasva said:
And lvling rdm I wouldve been ashamed to only do 400 dmg at lvl 70 on pt xp mobs not lol eps. Too bad that was a long time ago or id have screenshots

Notice I said in DD gear?
Was rdm/nin dual wielding daggers, phantom tathlum was my only int piece of gear with Warlock's Chapeau as my only elemental+ piece of gear, rest was acc/haste, Scorp harness, swift belt, woodsman rings, amemet mantle +1, spectacles and 2 mp earrings...

Clearly Amara is immune to our wizardry of logic and math. We should all find a more gullible RDM to teach the mysticisms of intelligence.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-06-10 08:40:03  
And no, the higher level the mob the more important it is going to be, because of the MACC from the related staff.

On low level mobs where your macc is capped regardless of what stick you are using will only show potency difference, you get into higher stuff and the acc is going to be even more important to you considering the rest of your gears.

Edit: O and btw on your enfeebling set for rdm (IE wishlist), rdm cannot equip oracle's gear.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-10 08:42:03  
Amara said:
I would think the difference would be lessened on higher level mobs when not breaking 300-400 damage. Shown using the tier 1 spells how without elemental gear the difference is alot less.

I'll do it later but I can break 300-400 easy on higher lvl mobs. I've hit 1k tier3 on MB on HNM lvl stuff before. But yes as D value becomes lower int and the actually tier and spell amounts become more important and higher lvl mobs having higher int lower the dint and therefore the D value in the equation. Elemental skill gear is skill only gonna effective resist rate though.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-06-10 08:45:16  
To the OP: (not troll post)

Order of HQ imo
Ice > Dark > Thunder > Wind > Earth (get these)
after that Water (lolsuzy) > Fire > Light
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-10 09:32:46  
Here for Thunder1/3 on qiqirns.
My stats/gear with aquilos staff
User submitted image
User submitted image
Rairin obi was used since it was thunderday to eliminate randomness the macc gear and /sch were used to help eliminate the added chance of resist for using off staff just to get a pure which dmg is better since others have already done extensive testing on the macc added by staffs.
Aquillos staff
User submitted image
User submitted image
Jupiters
User submitted image
User submitted image

That's almost a 13% increase on tier3 and seeing as staff only adds 15% you see just how little 5int does for Tier3 even on Ts. And it's still exactly 10% more on Tier1. Hope this proves to everyone that on element staff>>> aquilos. The difference is more then enough to show that NQ would even beat aquillos
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-06-10 09:45:31  
Baelorn said:
I went Aquilos > Jupiters > Plutos > Austere > Terra for BLM. I'm not sure if a SCH would do the same but it worked out well for me.

I haven't read the whole thread, but this is pretty close to what you want to do. If you are soloing at all and need to sleep stuff you should move pluto's up. There is no reason to not have Aquilos with how cheap it is.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-06-10 09:45:46  
The real lesson of this thread is...

QUIT EYEBALLING ***

and acting like it means ANYTHING.

Your eyes, don't parse, they can't calculate DOT or macc or resist rates.
If you want to see what's already been proven 1000 times before, get a *** calculator.
[+]
 Asura.Dajociont
user: Jamehkun
By Asura.Dajociont 2009-06-10 09:47:21  
Just buy em all >.>
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-10 09:51:18  
Oh and as a sch you actually might want to consider apollos at least at the end since your best helix is light based... though trilling dagger might be better hmmmm.
 Cerberus.Mindi
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2009-06-10 10:44:44  
If you are lv 51 SCH, then i'd say buy NQ's for now.

There should be enough gear that are a bigger increase for you while leveling SCH then one HQ staff. Atleast your SCH49 on your profile is kinda "outdated" on gear anyways.
Even though if you say you can afford 1 HQ.. atleast on Cerb Aquilo is around 150k and some other HQ's are around 500k so there should be something left over after getting Ice HQ :3
Well what i want to say is... if you are leveling (atleast if you are in Aht Urhgan normal XP Pt's on Colibri's i mean) you wont nuke anymore, so no point in investing 500k for a HQ which you wont really use while leveling. There are nice other Gear. Like Elvaan gets nice hands at lv 62 with 55MP (RSE) or a Vermillion Cloak at 59. Just some thoughts. I am not SCH myself "just" BLM and RDM, but I would say, invest in MP/hMP gear for now. and start looking on HQ Staff once you really woulde use them.
 Asura.Dajociont
user: Jamehkun
By Asura.Dajociont 2009-06-10 11:12:44  
Buy allllllllllllllllllllllllll
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-10 11:32:51  
Id get them all do the bst pet solo thing like blms do... thats how I got to 37 and it worked out well considering it sucks at lower lvls. You wont regret it since youll never need any other weapons for spells for sch rdm blm brd smn EVER. Since SE keeps trying to come out with ones that are bettter and end up being much worse including that +25MAB one.
 Odin.Aramina
サーバ: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-06-10 13:05:43  
There's no difference between Light/Apollo from a Curing perspective, so unless you have BRD or BST leveled, or you're having horrible resist rates on Repose (which is rare), you could really sell your Apollo and fund some other stuff.

After that, it depends on what you do with your SCH. SCH don't tend to do a lot of enfeebling in party/alliance settings, which knocks three of the next ones down a peg, that's Auster's (Silence/Gravity), Terra's (Slow) and Aquilo's (Paralyze).

Aquilo's tends to be the cheapest HQ stave by far, so if you actually sold your Apollo and had saved up, you could probably get Aquilo and one other HQ no problem.

If you find yourself nuking more, Aquilo's and Jupiter's are the more important ones. I'd suggest Pluto's, but you already had that.

Anyway, as mentioned, it really depends a lot on what you use your SCH for. If you plan to do stuff where you're SCH/RDM and doing a combination of buffing and crowd control, I'd recommend selling your Apollo (unless you use for BRD and/or BST) and buying Auster and Aquilo.

They will help you in landing Graviga and Bindga, which are very helpful in mob situations.

Just my Two gils...

Here's my order of procurement of HQ staves, with jobs leveled included.

WHM 75
BRD 75
BST 66

Aquilo's (Paralyze), Terra's (Slow/Elegy), Apollo's (Lullaby/Requiem/Finale/Charm/Repose)

First three all bought at same time.

BLM 75

Pluto's (Sleeps/Drain/Aspir) > Auster's (Silence/Gravity) > Jupiter's (Nuking) > Neptune's (Nuking and 350 SS build) & Vulcan's (Nuking)

As you can see, my job progression influenced my staff purchase order based on what I'd be using them for. I had only NQ Light/Dark/Earth/Ice/Wind for leveling White Mage to 75, which was my first job to 75.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-10 13:11:59  
You forget sch has light nuke...
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-06-10 13:16:25  
Dasva said:
You forget sch has light nuke...

Banish and holy dont count!
Luminohelix is a dot.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-06-10 13:18:19  
Guys, stick to OP's original query....

IF you could only buy 1 HQ staff and 1 only, hands down it's Aquilo's Staff. It's cheap, helps all elemental nukes (esp ice based spells) with +INT and +ele skill, and is great for para/bind.

Talk about the others all you want, talk about what you would buy next but if you could only buy one, buy the Aquilo's.