The Sealed Dagger: A Ninja Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 106 107 108 ... 254 255 256
 Asura.Sechs
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2018-05-10 03:48:29  
sabrtooth said: »
I am referring to the mog bonanza rank 5 award which could net you a great sword. Currently only the shadowlord master trial give you the iridiance greatsword, only gswd wieldable by ninja
Aaaaaah! Makes perfect sense!
 Carbuncle.Lunatone
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: lunamars
By Carbuncle.Lunatone 2018-05-10 10:29:21  
I'm very in favor of making the Yonin/Innin stances a bit stronger. They dont feel nearly as impactful as say Hasso would feel to a 2hander, sometimes when im just doing nms with my mules I just forget to even use them because they just feel weak.

Maybe we need something busted like Innin letting you go over delay reduction cap or always making offhand strike crit or something silly
Yonin makes gives you +300% chance to evade every single thing in the game.
Yes that sounds very nice
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2018-05-10 10:43:39  
I would be happy with just an adjustment that made them non-dispellable, but they should also remove the decay and perhaps the negative stats.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2018-05-10 12:22:50  
I am referring to the mog bonanza rank 5 award which could net you a great sword. Currently only the shadowlord master trial give you the iridiance greatsword, only gswd wieldable by ninja

So, a little bit of bad news... the new Bonanza GS (Brave Blade II) is a rank 4 prize, not rank 5. And it's not same-account sendable. This all but guarantees my mules will all get one or more rank 4 prizes, and I won't get one on my main ;P

Carbuncle.Lunatone said: »
I'm very in favor of making the Yonin/Innin stances a bit stronger.

Not that I'd complain about a buff, but Innin is still pretty nice as-is. Crit rate 30%~10% is definitely helpful. A change would be cool though - removal of the positional requirement would be especially good, as would removal/modification of the decay.

Yonin... yeah not so much, I agree that it feels less important (then again, so does Seigan). I'd kinda dig Yonin allowing 2-3 shadows to absorb an AoE without fully wiping shadows.
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2018-05-10 12:27:57  
I think Yonin may add a non-negligible amount of CE to Utsusemi, but I have neither a second character for a controlled test nor the will to force someone else to participate in one.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2018-05-10 12:43:05  
Siren.Kyte said: »
I think Yonin may add a non-negligible amount of CE to Utsusemi, but I have neither a second character for a controlled test nor the will to force someone else to participate in one.

Wouldn't really shock me if the Yonin enmity bonus to Utsusemi is something roughly mirroring Innin's Crit rate bonus (30% decaying to 10% over time).

BG pages claim the default values for Utsu Ichi/Ni are VE:300/CE:1 (San not listed, but no reason to assume that's different). Even if not based on a percentage, might be something like Yonin starting with 3x the normal CE (VE:900) and decaying over time. That feels about correct to me just from an eyeballing perspective. Utsu under Yonin certainly doesn't feel like it's Provoke strength (VE:1800). But up to half of that at initial JA use? Maybe. And that's still a rather poor hate tool - provoke isn't that great in its own right, so an even weaker VE tool would be pretty unimpressive. Which squares with how keeping hate with Yonin up works in practice today.

It's also telling that Migawari (VE:300/CE:1) is barely a help for keeping hate. Not nearly as useful as something like Foil (VE:880/CE:320). That's another change that theoretically could be made - Yonin not only increasing Utsusemi enmity (and perhaps increasing the amount), but Migawari enmity too.

Yet again though, I think this is more just an interesting thought exercise than any realistic expectation of tweaks. I really don't believe S-E is ever going to go down the road of significantly enhancing NIN tanking ability.
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2018-05-10 12:57:30  
I base my claim mostly off the fact that when I was tanking that idiot unicorn, it seemed like I already had a good amount of enmity built up on the Dullahan when it was time for the second monster.

There already is a separate decaying enmity bonus that's known for Yonin, though. I kind of doubt that whatever extra bonus it gives to Utusemi is another decaying bonus.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2018-05-10 13:05:43  
I base my claim mostly off the fact that when I was tanking that idiot unicorn, it seemed like I already had a good amount of enmity built up on the Dullahan when it was time for the second monster.

Ambuscade is weird shared enmity among mobs though, so I wouldn't trust it to make any conclusions about normal game mechanics. You build enmity on the Dullahan just by doing enmity generating actions to damage to (or provoking, or whatever) the Unicorn.
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2018-05-10 13:06:56  
I'm well aware of Ambuscade's mechanics.

Damage on a separate monster does not accrue enmity on another monster. Self-targeted abilities and spells (or spells/abilities on another player), however, do.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2018-05-10 13:10:42  
I'm well aware of Ambuscade's mechanics.

Damage on a separate monster do not accrue enmity on another monster. Self-targeted abilities, however, do.

NVM, yeah you're right. Maybe there's something there and there's some sort of enhanced Cumulative Enmity from Yonin/Utsu. Ambu is still kinda funky enmity-wise though, enough so that I never trust it to make any enmity conclusions.
By hushmunkey 2018-05-10 16:36:45  
Ninja's biggest tanking problem isn't magic, or cool downs, or lack of self-cure etc. - NIN doesn't have an effective way to deal with adds and super-tank.

It's certainly EASIER in most situations to tank as PLD or RUN (...or maybe even a few other jobs) but what marginalized NIN as an effective main-tank in most endgame content is its complete ineptitude when it comes to fighting more than one mob at a time

...which is practically all of endgame.
[+]
 Asura.Auburn
user: Auburn
By Asura.Auburn 2018-05-10 19:27:33  
On the topic of AoE and shadows--what about if each remaining shadow did something like give -10% MDTII?
[+]
By hushmunkey 2018-05-12 07:58:54  
Honestly, with rare exception Magic Damage - even from AoE's isn't too big of an issue. NIN has some REALLY good MEVA options, and it's fairly easy to cap mdt while wearing them. Sub /RUN and it's jut that much easier. Focus on meva and ele resistance and you'll watch magic damage go WAY down.

If you're tanking, don't be lazy and spam san. Cycle through your utsu's and you should almost always have one available. Even Byakko is hardly fast enough to own your shadows so quickly that you can't manage.

As for enmity, I think it's important to understand and accept what NIN is. It's a versatile TEAM-player. Part of what makes it good as a DD is that it can do some pretty solid DD-ing w/out pulling hate thanks to innin/-enmity equipment/spells/etc.. On the flip side, it's perfectly capable of picking up a troublesome add here and there, or even picking up the main if necessary or desired. Damage - for the most part should always be your bread and butter. Unless the BRD is also spamming 99k WS's Shuhansadamune should be a last resort. Spells are slow and give pretty minimal enmity so doing things like relying on the wheel is also a poor choice. However with that said, if you're struggling with enmity, especially if the mob keeps you too busy to keep up in the parse, HAVE AN ENMITY CASTING SET. Generally if you're dropping 20k+ blade: tens often you're probably doing pretty well with enmity as is; just Provoke every thirty seconds, keep Yonin fresh, use Gekka, and Warcry and other JA's when you know your enmity will dip. Said JA's can also be done in an enmity set - especially if that's the point of doing them. NIN doesn't really have good native JA's so you don't much have to worry about equipping gear that enhances JA potency. Don't be afraid of using Berserk or Defender - you can always just cancel their effect. Additionally, MB-ing can net you some pretty decent enmity as well. You're not going to nuke like a blm, especially if you're in your enmity set, but dmg isn't the point - it's enmity...and if you're not in your enmity set (which, again should only be as necessary) then you can still drop numbers comparable w/the average player's WS's.
If you're /RUN be sure to use your RUN's and the attacks that come with them like Lunge and whatnot. Again potent MB's = enmity. More JA's = enmity.
Back to the team player aspect - NIN and THF have GREAT synergy. If the NIN isn't the main tank, then it's even better - b/c now you have a buddy for those 50k+ SA/TA strikes. You can shed the hate pretty quickly while alleviating some pressure on the main & mages, and survive just fine in the mean time. BRD and BLU are also your friend in a big way. A blu that periodically stun's can make a HUGE difference in how the fight turns out.
Like I said earlier - multiple mobs at once is the problem. Use your debuffs. They can't be partially resisted. They stack w/most others. Blinding, slow, and paralyze on a MOB can buy you the precious seconds you need to recast and stay alive. Also, MOVE MOVE MOVE if you can. You're damn near a THF w/all the movement speed available to you. Do what NIN's used to and KITE like the PT depends on it. you can still JA and cast periodically for enmity maintenance. If you PT is smart, they can cast or shoot bind, gravity, sleep and whatnot to help you out.

There's a lot that could be added or modified in a job to make it better, and it's lovely to entertain those ideas, but I think it'd be more prudent to focus on what the job already has and build on it. Working within the expected norms of any job will make you mediocre or average at best. Ninja is versatile. Find a workaround.
By geigei 2018-05-12 08:04:38  
How about adding some enmity in melee set? wouldnt decay slower making it easier to tank?
By hushmunkey 2018-05-12 08:07:10  
geigei said: »
How about adding some enmity in melee set? wouldnt decay slower making it easier to tank?

Unless your DMG sucks, you'd be better just focusing on DPS output.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2018-05-12 08:41:32  
hushmunkey said: »
Ninja's biggest tanking problem isn't magic, or cool downs, or lack of self-cure etc. - NIN doesn't have an effective way to deal with adds and super-tank.

It's certainly EASIER in most situations to tank as PLD or RUN (...or maybe even a few other jobs) but what marginalized NIN as an effective main-tank in most endgame content is its complete ineptitude when it comes to fighting more than one mob at a time

Not sure that's the ONLY issue NIN has.
If you think about it it's the same issue PUP as a tank has, yet we saw PUP used as a main tank multiple times on several tough NMs (or that used to be tough, let's say)
By hushmunkey 2018-05-12 09:16:54  
Asura.Sechs said: »

Not sure that's the ONLY issue NIN has.
If you think about it it's the same issue PUP as a tank has, yet we saw PUP used as a main tank multiple times on several tough NMs (or that used to be tough, let's say)

I've tanked several "tough" NM's as NIN too. PUP is vastly different from NIN and each has their own strengths, weaknesses, and viability; though as you said they both struggle with super-tanking. I'm not quite sure where you're going with that. if you have ideas, or even more specified questions we can happily get after them.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2018-05-12 10:17:14  
I've tanked several "tough" NM's as NIN too. PUP is vastly different from NIN and each has their own strengths, weaknesses, and viability; though as you said they both struggle with super-tanking. I'm not quite sure where you're going with that. if you have ideas, or even more specified questions we can happily get after them.
I'm talking about T4 level of NMs here.
PUP was used from day 1.
Are you claiming you did the same on your NIN?

Doing it today, while still quite a feat, is not the same as what I'm hinting at.

And no I had no intention to deny your statement, that is quite undeniable one of NIN's issue with being a proper tank on par with PLD and RUN. I was just staying that also quite undeniably there's more than just that.

In the end, as others have pointed out, it's not even a matter of "possible". It's more a matter of how efficient it is to rely on that.
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2018-05-12 10:24:39  
geigei said: »

+Enmity would only reduce CE decay from taking hits and increase enmity gained per point of damage, not reduce VE decay if that's what you're implying.
 Odin.Slore
サーバ: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2018-05-12 20:49:42  
Need a hand guys ans gals. Got a issue with my tens, they suck....
Code
WSTen ={ammo="Seething Bomblet",
    head="Hachiya Hatsu. +3",
    body={ name="Herculean Vest", augments={'Weapon skill damage +3%','STR+10','Accuracy+11','Attack+2',}},
    hands={ name="Herculean Gloves", augments={'Accuracy+25','Weapon skill damage +3%','STR+15',}},
    legs="Hiza. Hizayoroi +2",
    feet={ name="Herculean Boots", augments={'Accuracy+19','Weapon skill damage +5%','STR+5',}},
    neck="Caro Necklace",
    waist="Grunfeld Rope",
    left_ear="Ishvara Earring",
    right_ear={ name="Moonshade Earring", augments={'Attack+4','TP Bonus +25',}},
    left_ring="Regal Ring",
    right_ring="Ilabrat Ring",
    back={ name="Andartia's Mantle", augments={'STR+20','Accuracy+20 Attack+20','AGI+10','Weapon skill damage +10%',}},}

I'm getting like 14k on apex crawlers and like 10k in dyna d, its gotta be better than this? using aeonic and kan. Please advise.
 Sylph.Oraen
サーバ: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2018-05-12 21:09:17  
Nothing wrong with the set outside of the AGI on the cape instead of STR. Make sure you're using Lugra instead of Ishvara during night time. It's likely just poor buffs making them weak, or mobs buffing heavily.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2018-05-12 21:21:32  
Ten requires a lot of att to truly shine.
If you're not in that position Shun will likely perform better.
[+]
 Cerberus.Darkvlade
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Darkvlade
By Cerberus.Darkvlade 2018-05-13 07:49:56  
Hello everyone, can someone post how to make umbra sc if its possible with heishi? thanks.
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2018-05-13 08:08:38  
solo? i don't think it's possible.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-05-13 08:37:13  
Cerberus.Darkvlade said: »
Hello everyone, can someone post how to make umbra sc if its possible with heishi? thanks.

Have AM up:

Rin > Retsu > Ten > Hi

97% sure it's not worth it, though.
By sabrtooth 2018-05-13 11:05:57  
AM3 up and then Hi x 2. so simple
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2018-05-13 11:06:50  
AM3 up and then Hi x 2. so simple
problem with that is having to wait for the SC window since Shun > Hi will make Gravitation.
 Odin.Slore
サーバ: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2018-05-13 11:37:52  

Should I stack more att vs wsd? I see relic set has alot of att but besides legs theres not much for wsd. Trying to go according to guide.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2018-05-13 11:40:30  
Odin.Slore said: »

Should I stack more att vs wsd? I see relic set has alot of att but besides legs theres not much for wsd. Trying to go according to guide.
The guide completely ignores attack and accuracy for all of it's sets.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-05-13 11:42:56  
Because every set in every guide assumes 2 bolstered geos perfect 11 cor rolls and 8 SV Nitro songs for everything.
First Page 2 3 ... 106 107 108 ... 254 255 256