フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Muramasemaru
Muramasemaru
 Bismarck.Keityan
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Keichan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2012-09-14 15:49:38  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
when they go inside their shell it's different maybe but I doubt it, it probably just amplifies their defense.

You are likely right. The only piece of evidence that I think they are "something different" is because a lowly level 40 Uraganite in Bibiki when in shell. You'd think a level 99SAM with an attack bonus of Tachi: Shoha, berserk, warcry would be able to murder it, but when it is in its shell, nope!

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
too bad we can't get a cactuar to fight an adamantoise. if they have even a little PDT it would be apparent with 1000 needles

There is a jug for that (Amigo Sabotendor popped with Sun Water). But couldn't a BLU to do it? lol
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-09-14 15:54:59  
There are other forms of DR that lie outside the bounds of physical damage reduction, which is what the effect on Requiescat, Twilight Scythe, and Murasamemaru bypasses. Unfortunately it's difficult to differentiate between the two aside from seeing the instances in which the weapons/weaponskills do not function properly, however it's easier to assume that it's a separate form of -DT rather than, say, a change in the way the monster takes damage (lower ratio/pDIF cap under x condition or something).

In the end it wouldn't matter to begin with though, as it stands there's no way, or at least no reasonable way, to bypass such defenses.

As for BLU being able to use 1000 Needles to test for PDT, no. It's magic damage.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-09-14 16:21:17  
Could be a decent weapon for Legion:Mul's Paramount Botulus too
 Fenrir.Sylow
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-09-14 16:30:51  
Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-09-14 16:42:50  
didn't see it get mentioned !
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-09-14 16:43:47  
WHAT THE *** NO. NO DDS OTHER THAN DRK AND WAR IN LEGION.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-09-14 16:43:58  
and MNK
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-09-14 16:46:42  
for real
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-09-14 16:52:01  
MNK would do pretty bad in Mul I would think, atleast on wave2 with the crit bs
 Bismarck.Keityan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2012-09-14 16:55:15  

This is THE ORIGINAL reason why I wanted to get this weapon--- after fighting Paramount Botulus once. However, after many successes and parses of this mob, that the "Ignore -PDT" effect is the least of your worries. Paramount Botulus has A LOT of defense and evasion. To give you an idea an idea of how much defense this thing has, if you happen to have no buffs for some reason (dying) and try to hit this thing with only berserk up (99 amano), you will hit this thing with a grand total of 0 damage... Every single time.

The reason why I won't comment on using this on Paramount Botulus is because since there are so many factors that are more important to deal damage to this (DiaIII, lucky song rolls, Def Down etc.) that any one of them would have been a larger impact to my damage than -25% or even -50% that Paramount Botulus has. (That I can even see and analyze with such small sample sizes-- especially with the variabilities of these buffs). What I can say though, is that if you can buff yourself strong high enough, everyone can do good damage to Paramount Botulus.

The misconception is the thought that Murasamemaru will let you kill Paramount Botulus because of its special effect. This is not true. If you weren't going to beat it, you weren't going to beat it anyway and Murasamemuru won't change that because Formless damage doesn't mean "Ignores Defense". which seems to be what is making Botulus so difficult.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-09-14 16:56:38  
MNK would do pretty bad in Mul I would think, atleast on wave2 with the crit bs

nonsense. best DD
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-09-14 17:06:34  
pretty sure it just has huge PDT ? like Botulus rex

edit: Obv good bit of def too, but pretty sure the main thing is the PDT
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-09-14 17:08:53  
Think it does have some pretty hefty DEF to supplement it, possibly very high level as well but who knows.
 Ragnarok.Martel
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2012-09-14 17:31:38  
I suspect fortitude may have massive def, possibly in addition to PDT. This was awhile back, but I went to fight him, post Requiescat. Hoping to have fun trashing him with the non-elemental ws dmg. I ended up going back to Atonement, cause Req dmg was so bad.
 Bismarck.Keityan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2012-09-18 03:08:55  
Ok, back with more testing and likely need some input on the type of mobs I can test this on. However, here is what I found:

1. Invincible Mobs: Works as intended. Tested on Dynamis PLD mob. Shoha did full damage.

2. Prov Watcher Fetters: This is where the info gets really interesting.

Physical Immune Fetters: Takes damage from Murasamemaru.
Magic Immune Fetters: Takes 0 damage from Murasamemaru.

Combined with the fact that turtles during "turtle" mode have -magic damage as well, leads me to conclude that Murasamemaru damage is affected by -MDT. I need some suggestions on a mob that has obvious -MDT for further tests.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2012-09-18 03:23:51  
The only completely magic immune mobs that come to mind, are Jailer of Temperance, and the weapons in SE Apollyon.

There's a list of mobs with MDT near the bottom of this page.

The easiest thing to do though, might be to get someone to help you test in ballista. If you're on the test server, I'll do it(assuming you have 100 BP to get into the diorama, I'm out.) Could test vs an Aegis PLD with shell, which would make it very clear if MDT works.

I'm also curious if there would still be a shield block check vs Murasamemaru ws. Since it's non-elemental dmg.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [125 days between previous and next post]
 Lye
By Lye 2013-01-21 12:02:50  
Sorry to bump but I'm a terrible Samurai and wondered if this would be able to do damage to the Salvage Bhaflau II Cerb after his DT- has gone up.
 Sylph.Krsone
サーバ: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2013-01-21 12:06:08  
Just Formless MNK it.
By Gimp 2013-01-21 12:18:06  
Keep in mind that if it's DT- that murasamemaru would still get the penalty during ws just like if you wsed with one on ks99 turtle inside shell.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-01-21 12:24:07  
Gimp said: »
Keep in mind that if it's DT- that murasamemaru would still get the penalty during ws just like if you wsed with one on ks99 turtle inside shell.

I'm not sure that's true (unless the mechanic is different for twilight scythe). Twilight has seemingly no reduction (if i swap from apoc > twilight during cerb pdt my damage goes from double-digit to 400/swing).

If the effects are different, please disregard my post
 Odin.Eikechi
サーバ: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-01-21 12:25:26  
Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
Gimp said: »

I'm not sure that's true (unless the mechanic is different for twilight scythe). Twilight has seemingly no reduction (if i swap from apoc > twilight during cerb pdt my damage goes from double-digit to 400/swing).

If the effects are different, please disregard my post

Isn't the cerb a PDT and not a DT? That would be why twilight works fine, and would by why Muramasemaru would work as well. The GK works the same as twilight (on WS).
 Fenrir.Leoheart
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2013-01-21 12:30:43  
I always thought twilight scythe was a separate entity in which it wasn't, physical, magical or non elemental and just raw damage instead.
 Odin.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-01-21 12:40:22  
Fenrir.Leoheart said: »
I always thought twilight scythe was a separate entity in which it wasn't, physical, magical or non elemental and just raw damage instead.

The BG wiki has it listed as being able to bypass any DT type (twilight), and the GK has "non-elemental" damage, which could be taken either way, as it could be calculated like physical (like requie) but bypass PDT. It's a little ambiguous. You're right though Leo, and it's slightly different (possibly) than the GK. Sorry for my first statement being vague. I suppose more testing is in order on the GK? Though for the bumps purposes, it should be fine against Cerb.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-01-21 12:43:01  
I can't say for the GK, but if you use twilight on magic immune mobs, it does 0, same goes for requiescat and any other "non elemental magical" damage I have found.

Friend just got it, so he's leveling and gearing sam to take advantage of that.
[+]
 Bismarck.Keityan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2013-01-21 12:45:41  
It works. I would start off with a normal physical g.kat first and take it down to about 50-60% and then change to Murasamemaru. You can then finish the mob with the Murasamemaru. As an aside, careful if you use Meikyo under 50% because both Cerbs has TP retailiation (it will TP in response to your WS).

To clarify, "Formless Damage" is not a 3rd damage source. (For example, Physical, Magical, Formless). Formless damage is magic damage (it just isn't associated with any type of element). So if a you would normally need a BLM to nuke something down, use a Mura.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-01-21 12:48:39  
*rummaging around for ejiin's post on bg*

gimme a sec to find this.... i should have just done this in the first place lol
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-01-21 12:51:56  
Ragnarok.Ejiin said:
Murasamemaru non-ele damage works on both melee and WS for the 2 Cerbs in BRII:
 Fenrir.Leoheart
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2013-01-21 12:53:43  
Myth busted!
 Phoenix.Nerji
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Nerji
By Phoenix.Nerji 2013-01-21 13:00:15  
It also works great on the T3 ZNM Armed Gears, ~3min fight
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-01-21 13:05:00  
So it works on that cerberus, doesn't really prove that it is or isn't magical damage. But i seem to remember a screen shot of it being used on one of the asa nm's that is immune to all but magic and it dealt damage, but the one immune to all but ranged it did 0. Meaning the cerberus is pdt or defense, not dt.
[+]