First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12
 Fenrir.Sylow
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-08-03 19:20:18  
Ramuh.Laffter said: »
Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Ramuh.Laffter said: »
Forgive my ignorance, but there are other issues equally or more important?

@_______________________________________________________@;
Hey, instead of a face, you could ya know, educate me.

I'm serious. I'm not gay and not really worried about what other people of that orientation worry about or do.

http://www.derailingfordummies.com/education.html
 Fenrir.Terminus
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-08-03 19:20:25  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Sally Ride was the astronaut. Sally Field was the *** mom in Mrs. Doubtfire.

You take that back!

Edit: Huh. Posted that right after a post about derailment. Neat. It was all unintentional and meant to be harmless, though, too.
 Ramuh.Laffter
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-08-03 19:22:15  
Fenrir.Jinjo said: »
Very basic rights/protections for transgender individuals are left unchecked.

Workplace protections.

Sex education.

Bullying.

Homelessness, especially in youth.

Housing and public accommodations.

Adoption issues.

Those are only off the top of my head. There are a lot of things that need to be addressed and having the entire activist movement boiled down to marriage equality because that's all your average white cis homosexual cares about is beyond infuriating.
Thank you. I apologize if I upset you or anyone with my ignorance. :x
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-08-03 19:24:10  
Fenrir.Terminus said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Sally Ride was the astronaut. Sally Field was the *** mom in Mrs. Doubtfire.

You take that back!

Edit: Huh. Posted that right after a post about derailment. Neat. It was all unintentional and meant to be harmless, though, too.

It's definitely not about "derailing" in the way you're thinking.
[+]
 Ramuh.Laffter
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-08-03 19:24:51  
No, Sylow is an advocate of educating yourself, but he apparently didn't know that I didn't even know where to start.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-08-03 19:28:00  
Fenrir.Jinjo said: »
Why am I not surprised that basically the only thing being discussed here is marriage rights?

I guess that really is what LGBTQ activism has been reduced to. Gag.
Marriage rights is something that effects all members of the lgbt community. GLAAD and HRC e.g protects the rights of all including the trans community and the ***/questioning. From there I believe it extends to social inequalities.

Housing benefits, is somewhat of a side topic unfortunately, it is something that is county based not state based usually. Los angeles county provides housing assistance for all who need it. A perfect example is a Covenant House They specifically taylor to LBGTq youth. I believe up til the age of 24 then their are additional programs to tailor for older.

Workplace protections: is not necessarily a federal issue. To discriminate a trans on hiring them yes. However, a trans-, would have to abide to dress code standards. That's going to be a gray/delicate area.

Adoption issues: thats marital related partially. It is due to LGBT in some states, but it is also marital related. By legalizing same-sex marriage some states will grant joint LGBT adoptions.

I do agree that the trans- and ***/questioning doen't necessarily recieve the media spotlight that gay/lesbians receive, however that doesnt mean this whole civil rights movement isn't bringing them along with them.

I have much love for my transgenders, drags, question etc... and so do the remainder of the community, the ones I know to say the least. I understand there is discrimination within the LGBTq community However, anyone to say otherwise would be hypocritical.
 Odin.Headstrong
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Headstrong 2012-08-03 19:30:20  
Well the marriage stuff was the only thing i could think of that has been in the news lately :/
I honestly don't think many people here care if someone is gay or straight or transgender or whatever..
We do have anti-discrimination laws that include sexual orientation tho.
Mhhh you can be gay in the military here (think you can't in the US? idk) and we have openly gay politicans for example. D:

Dunno what else to say lol guess i need to find someone who's gay and ask them what's good/bad here in Germany xD
 Shiva.Darkmacabre
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkmacabre 2012-08-03 19:33:02  
Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Perfectly fine here, we even have openly gay priests.

It's funny to me how a lot of parts in America that are very religious follow the "word of god" and yet this statement alone would make so many of those same people to want to burn those churches.
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-08-03 19:36:53  
Shiva.Darkmacabre said: »

It's funny to me how a lot of parts in America that are very religious follow the "word of god" and yet this statement alone would make so many of those same people to want to burn those churches.

Hypocrisy and double standards in religion!? *gasp*

On a related subject, there is an ad all over youtube to watch 'Amsterdamn gay pride" event live whenever it is, seems gay rights are pretty high up on the agenda over there :O
 Valefor.Mithano
サーバ: Valefor
user: mithano
By Valefor.Mithano 2012-08-03 19:39:22  
I just had a vacation in Iceland for several days, and I talked to several locals about just this issue.

They have a VERY gay mayor in Reykjavik, the prime minister is openly gay, and one guy I talked to spoke of the pride parades that many young children attend. Suffice to say that in Iceland, it's most definitely not a big deal.

That said, they have come a long way, very fast. As recently as about 30 years ago, being black in Iceland was actually illegal. But nearly all of that is gone now, they've had a major social evolution as of late.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-08-03 19:40:34  
edit wrong thread
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-08-03 19:52:12  
Hopefully there will come a day when there is no such thing as gay pride or any other silly events like that and everyone is treated equally everywhere. It won't be for a while though, there are still several generations who were raised to believe it is terribly wrong and evil. The real blame lies with religion but that's a touchy subject because the religious nuts never accept responsibility for any negative impact religion has.
[+]
By Thunderz 2012-08-03 19:52:37  
not gonna happen in the middle east
 Odin.Headstrong
By Odin.Headstrong 2012-08-03 19:54:14  
Mhh the gay pride stuff here is becoming more and more like a second carnival season x3 It's fun tho
The biggest here is the Christopher Street Day i think, big parties in many cities every year .-.

Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-08-03 20:05:06  
Odin.Headstrong said: »
Mhh the gay pride stuff here is becoming more and more like a second carnival season x3 It's fun tho
The biggest here is the Christopher Street Day i think, big parties in many cities every year .-.

Idk where to stand on the gay pride thing tbh, I mean it's kinda acting like being gay is special and rubbing it in the face of society which is not something you can do if you expect to be treated fairly and equally. However because of the lingering social stigma still associated with being gay I fully understand why these events take place. Also there are countless other groups and societies that do the same thing so idk!
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2012-08-03 20:06:04  
Shiva.Darkmacabre said: »

Terrible translation (thank you Google >_>) but this is what the church here says:

Quote:
"There have always been priests with a homosexual orientation. This has been the church's long history. Thus, it is nothing new when women and men with this orientation will be priests in our church today. Such an orientation is not in itself disqualifying for ordination or service in the church.

Admission to the ordination of priests and the service is a detailed process where admissions conferences, and diocesan bishop is required to adopt the decision of each individual candidate. It is always a combination of what has been established that determine stance, rarely any single issue. These include questions of vocation, faith, spiritual life, intellectual capacity, personality and leadership, teamwork and personal growth, and rooted in the Swedish Church. None of us bishops deny someone ordination because of homosexual orientation. However, both persons of heterosexual and homosexual orientation are denied ordination in the cathedral and the bishop of the total assessment can not find them suitable.

The individual's personal circumstances related to aspects involved in the admission process. It is natural that this happens. What about family? Girlfriend or boyfriend? Cohabitation or marriage? Both share the same faith? For those with a homosexual orientation may be grounds to speak about the difficulties of the general marginalization of them can bring. The bishop will contribute to a placement in a parish where the priest will have good conditions to work. Even later, during the priest of service time, it is natural that the priest raises questions about relationships and personal lifestyle with the bishop.

Some people have a calling to be celibate. There are people with different sexual orientations who answered yes to such a life, but it's hardly something that can be forced on anyone. However, we wait for all the priests that they, when they share their lives with someone else, that they do it in faith and love. Promiscuous relationships are not acceptable. "

Not gonna correct it, too lazy >.>
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-08-03 20:10:40  
Ramuh.Sagittario said: »

You also do need to understand, the LGBT community has a history and a culture. Stonewall in New York, White Riots in San Francisco and Black Cat Tavern of Los Angeles, Matthew Shepard...these are historical moments for the LGBT community. (the culture part is a bit more difficult to explain in a few sentences)I know the younger gay's don't necessarily understand this, as the history message/gets lost with time. So when you go to pride and see some cross dressers or trans. Some thats them as a person, for others its out of respect for the drag queens who stood up to the NYPD.

Stonewall was series of riots in New York City. Where a bunch of drag queens decided to retaliate and fight back against the NYPD for their discriminatory raids/harassment of bars.
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-08-03 20:16:02  
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

You also do need to understand, the LGBT community has a history and a culture. Stonewall in New York, White Riots in San Francisco and Black Cat Tavern of Los Angeles, Matthew Shepard...these are historical moments for the LGBT community. (the culture part is a bit more difficult to explain in a few sentences)I know the younger gay's don't necessarily understand this, as the history message/gets lost with time. So when you go to pride and see some cross dressers or trans. Some thats them as a person, for others its out of respect for the drag queens who stood up to the NYPD.

Stonewall was the first major gay riot in US history. Where a bunch of drag queens decided to retaliate and fight back against the NYPD.

That's insightful and interesting information... but I can't get the image out my head now of an army of drag queens fighting the NYPD lol >_>;
 Odin.Headstrong
By Odin.Headstrong 2012-08-03 20:24:54  
Well it's an event open for everyone to join .-. Last year it was 700k and 900k people in the two biggest cities. I think it's mostly just about having a fun time together, and maybe showing that this huge lady with the colorful, big hair is actually pretty nice and not going to eat your children >.>
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-08-03 20:27:05  
That's insightful and interesting information... but I can't get the image out my head now of an army of drag queens fighting the NYPD lol >_>;

Ok this wasnt world war 3 ok lol

Stonewall Riots
The bar catered to drag queens mainly. The NYPD were raiding other bars at the time. This just happened to be the first one they faught back at. Theres a nice quote on wiki

Sylvia Rivera, who was in full drag "You've been treating us like ***all these years? Uh-uh. Now it's our turn!"

this huge lady with the colorful, big hair is actually pretty nice and not going to eat your children >.>
lol that and the money goes to a good cause. Depending on the city/pride. Many times the funds go to HIV/AIDS health care/prevention which benefits everyone.
 Fenrir.Terminus
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-08-03 20:49:00  

Idk where to stand on the gay pride thing tbh, I mean it's kinda acting like being gay is special and rubbing it in the face of society which is not something you can do if you expect to be treated fairly and equally. However because of the lingering social stigma still associated with being gay I fully understand why these events take place. Also there are countless other groups and societies that do the same thing so idk!

I feel that way, too, sometimes - like, sometimes the message is obvious, but other times, it's just a bunch of people doin stuff.

But I wonder if that's because what they're fighting for is acceptance as a person, and just being there is the message. A sign that says "we're gay" might seem weird, especially to people who don't have any kind of negativity towards them. You might react with, "ok... what's your point?"

This isn't something like a tax protest, where people are there, sure, but, they're bringing a specific message with them - and the signs say "lower taxes!" - something that is an issue. Gay people aren't an issue - they're just people.

I wonder if, as acceptance and equality spreads, events like this will stick around, but be diluted into garbage - like St. Patrick's Day. And some kids' grandparents will tell them that in their day, parades like this meant something.
By Kimble2013 2012-08-03 20:59:55  
You know, it always did bother me when I ran into gay people that act like they are special just because they are gay.

If you're gay, thats cool. I don't have a problem with that, but if you want to be treated like everyone else, maybe don't at like you are better/special because you are gay?

(I really hope that doesn't come off as mean)
[+]
 Shiva.Darkmacabre
By Shiva.Darkmacabre 2012-08-04 05:01:51  
^

And that goes for anyone else who does the same ***for other reasons. Race included. I honestly think some people just look for ways to feel special.
[+]
 Shiva.Mayoyama
user: Mayoyama
By Shiva.Mayoyama 2012-08-04 05:18:20  
Aussies are very laid back and accepting of gay people :) In sydney we even have a strip of gay/lesbian night clubs in the middle of Sydney and hold one of the biggest gay festivals in the world (just google "gay and lesbian mardi gras sydney")
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-08-04 06:11:09  
About gay pride:
Sure, there are some people that go there not really for the manifestation, but rather to flaunt their love for bondage or other sexual kinks...like something seen earlier. You also see a lot of drag queens and the fact that they're not really accepted socially people make statements like "it looks like a carnival", it's not, that's just people expressing how they really want to be and the parade itself is to demonstrate they don't want to be afraid to do so. The meaning of the parade is not to say "we're gay and we're better", gay people don't think they're better because of their sexuality, but you have to realize how much we go through just because of that part of our life and that protesting is important to gain acceptance. We don't want to be called freaks or depravated, we don't want to be beaten because we're different from others, we want equal treatments in all aspects of society. And to this day we don't have them.
And then there's the guy that shows up in a full leather cop costume with holes in the butt...but horny people are everywhere, not only in the lgbt community.
Also on a lighter note the gay pride is a great chance to hook up lol, you don't have to worry about your "gay radar", everyone in range is so gay they taste like rainbows.
 Fairy.Spence
サーバ: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2012-08-04 06:25:57  
Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
Also on a lighter note the gay pride is a great chance to hook up lol, you don't have to worry about your "gay radar", everyone in range is so gay they taste like rainbows.

I'd always figured that would be very frustrating. Meet someone awesome just to find out they're straight. Sucks, man.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-08-04 07:44:31  
About gay pride:
Sure, there are some people that go there not really for the manifestation, but rather to flaunt their love for bondage or other sexual kinks...like something seen earlier. You also see a lot of drag queens and the fact that they're not really accepted socially people make statements like "it looks like a carnival", it's not, that's just people expressing how they really want to be and the parade itself is to demonstrate they don't want to be afraid to do so. The meaning of the parade is not to say "we're gay and we're better", gay people don't think they're better because of their sexuality, but you have to realize how much we go through just because of that part of our life and that protesting is important to gain acceptance. We don't want to be called freaks or depravated, we don't want to be beaten because we're different from others, we want equal treatments in all aspects of society. And to this day we don't have them.
And then there's the guy that shows up in a full leather cop costume with holes in the butt...but horny people are everywhere, not only in the lgbt community.

Thing is, even the name "gay pride" can give the wrong impression, it suggests you are proud to be gay when really you are just proud of who you are surely? By putting a tag on it like that you still see yourselves as being different from others, I would ask why do you see yourselves as different if you strive for equality? You are deciding how you want to live your lives just like everyone else, I don't see how that differs from anyone else.

I understand what you mean though, you are right that society on a whole does still view it as being 'different' or an alternative to the norm and standing up for the freedom to choose how you live your life is what freedom is all about.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-08-04 07:53:08  
It's not us who sees us different. But you have no idea how we're treated by most people. Protesting is necessary, if you never speak against suppression you'll never be free.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-08-04 08:07:38  
It's not us who sees us different. But you have no idea how we're treated by most people. Protesting is necessary, if you never speak against suppression you'll never be free.

I can only go on what I see/hear through the media and experience here in the UK, I expect for you personally being Italian you're subject to worse. As long as there is religion though, there will always be those who oppose equality amongst everybody.

Go and taint the Popes tea or something >_>
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12