users online
Gay rights abroad
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2012-08-05 22:25:56  
this thread is quite enlightening being from cali i only knew of the marriage crap but then again in cali the only minority is straight white males lol
 Bahamut.Kelia
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2012-08-07 12:10:44  
Ramuh.Sagittario said: »
Fenrir.Jinjo said: »
What I have said is that if a LGBTQ individual is going to tell you about their experience as an LGBTQ individual, you should, if interested, listen.

Yes but instead of telling us anything you have already stated several times that none of us understand because we are not gay and continue to use your sexuality to shield you from having to explain your arguments.

You are being arrogant. LGBTQ people, non-white people, transgendered people, disabled people, women - any other group marginalized by mainstream culture - all have to deal with this ***every day and I imagine it gets very old very fast arguing with people who want things neatly explained for them, so why not take the initiative for once. 'Heteronormativity' and 'heterosexism' are good places to start.

But here is a nice anecdote courtesy of Stonewall:

Quote:
March 2007
Marlene Bielak received compensation from retailer Next after an employment tribunal ruled she was subjected to homophobic harassment and unfairly dismissed. Bielak, a lesbian shop assistant at Next, suffered months of harassment by colleague Katrina Davies who played a Morrissey song referring to lesbians each time she entered the shop's stockroom. Davies and her husband, also an employee at the store, openly questioned whether Bielak and her partner were fit to raise their seven-year old son. After an incident where she was shoved and sworn at by Davies, Bielak lodged a complaint and went on sick leave. Next failed to deal with the complaint for 14 months leading to Bielak's eventual resignation.

And this sad story which is worth a read: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/one-towns-war-on-gay-teens-20120202
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12