users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » [Dev] Rune Fencer Follow-up
[Dev] Rune Fencer Follow-up
 Leviathan.Draylo
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2013-02-22 10:57:45  
Should have been named Rune Knight. RKN!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-02-22 11:07:52  
No idea why it isn't Rune Knight. Did they think Fencer would lure in the meleeRDMs to convert to the job? lol

Either way, most of the Naakuals seem to use one/two elements and since they look like "standard" large mobs (like Pony, Iron Giants, Harpies) perhaps their attacks (the unnamed TP moves) may be elementally aligned.
 Diabolos.Raelia
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2013-02-22 11:16:05  
Siren.Kyte said: »
Diabolos.Raelia said: »
I'd like to see the Reso screenshot.

Why not...you know...look for them?
I did. They're buried on the 'colonization' page.

Both parts of GS trials, Empy/Multihit and Elemental, start with Break Blade. I expect they would have *** with it too much to keep RUNs from doing trials they can't actually wield.
[+]
 Bismarck.Kelhor
Administrator
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Rooks
By Bismarck.Kelhor 2013-02-22 11:16:42  
More than likely they'll get at least some Magian great swords, but it's very possible that they will be cut off of the NM-path weapons entirely, leaving the STR and maybe WS% weapons as their best options.

The elemental path uses the same base weapon as Caladbolg. That does leave the WS path open, though (TP Bonus, etc).
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2013-02-22 11:22:42  
Take a moment to look at the staff trials.
[+]
 Bismarck.Kelhor
Administrator
user: Rooks
By Bismarck.Kelhor 2013-02-22 11:25:46  
Take a moment to look at the staff trials.

Huh. Wish I could give you more than +1 for that.

Interesting. I hadn't even thought about that, since no other path does that. Certainly does change the landscape, as it brings the elemental path, and maybe even the OAT or WOE GS back into play.

/learned something today
 Diabolos.Raelia
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2013-02-22 11:27:31  
Honestly they can do whatever the hell they want with it, but there's far less reasoning in keeping Calad out of RUN's hands than letting them have Resolution.

Six month old screenshots do not a proof of development decision make.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-02-22 11:29:55  
The screenshot was released few weeks ago...

I do support run being on Caladbolg, but if they said no cause they're dumb it's not gonna change.
[+]
 Sylph.Asleep
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Asleep 2013-02-27 13:03:17  
They need everyone to start from square one
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-02-27 13:35:40  

To be honest I'd have expect to find "FFXI R&D" to be a nasty janitor closet in the basement of SE. There's a hamster skeleton on a wheel and a half-starved monkey banging at a type-writer (they hired TWO monkeys for a realm re-re-re-reborn).

All jokes aside: They could have "dat-swapped" some jenkity *** af sets onto a drk and SS it to give char models to the jobs. I don't expect anything from SE until it's released.

Also: with regard to them not putting rune fencer on caladbolg... I think it's more likely those lazy *** will do a quick fix like this to make it look like they did something. SoA will probably be a half assed expansion similar to WotG. We won't see the mission finale until a year after the exp is released and THEN they'll add the 8 beasts and the run mythic or wtfever (they'll need to devote manpower to development of FFXIV's 6th beta release for the 10 people who still think they can make it good).
[+]
By kenshynofshiva 2013-02-27 13:50:02  
On the weapons thing it's just SE being SE...

http://gamerescape.com/2012/07/25/gamer-escape-interview-post-vanafest-2012/
GE- How will the new jobs play into current relic, mythic and empyrean weapons? Is it safe to assume that they’ll have relic and empyrean armor as well?

SE- Rune fencers and geomancers will have Artifact equipment, Artifact weapons, Relic Equipment, Empyrean equipment, and Mythic weapons.
 Asura.Calatilla
サーバ: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2013-02-27 17:27:21  
Rune Fencer will have a Mythic Weapon? Will they make a Mythic GS just for Rune Fencer or will they put them on Burtgang instead I wonder.
 Ragnarok.Legendarycloud
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Legendarycloud 2013-02-27 17:30:09  
There's only 1 job per mythic weapon, so I'm sure it's a safe bet that they're going to have their own mythic.
 Bahamut.Blze
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Blze 2013-02-27 18:34:42  
my hope is that they re-work the ws for great sword i don't feel like waiting til spinning slash ground strikes resolution to get a decent ws, or what every the mythic ws will be. i'm not to peeved with run not getting emp. weapon but as long as they get magian trials weapons i can deal.
 Cerberus.Diabolique
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Uchitoru
By Cerberus.Diabolique 2013-02-27 19:18:38  
Can't see them putting in effort in adjusting like, Sickle Moon. What's the point? 65 shouldn't take long for Spinning Slash. Going to be AFK in abyssea from 30 to 99 anyways.

Pretty much every weapon besides H2H, Axe, Archery/Marksmanship, and G.Axe are stuck with crap WS under 60. Adjusting early WS's is the last thing they should or would bother with.
 Sylph.Asleep
By Sylph.Asleep 2013-02-27 20:25:22  
If SE spends any time adjusting low lvl GS WS, it better be because RNF is damn near perfect lol
By Xenetex 2013-02-27 20:40:45  
Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
(they'll need to devote manpower to development of FFXIV's 6th beta release for the 10 people who still think they can make it good)
This, however I am one of those 10 people. They can't just let their biggest title not succeed online in todays world. They are committed.

14 is beautiful. If they were smart they would have made it 11v2.0
[+]
By Altsmithra 2013-02-27 21:21:02  
Xenetex said: »
(they'll need to devote manpower to development of FFXIV's 6th beta release for the 10 people who still think they can make it good)
This, however I am one of those 10 people. They can't just let their biggest title not succeed online in todays world. They are committed.

They probly should have thought about that before putting that massive turd online in todays world. The way 13 and 14 are taking the Final Fantasy Title.. I kinda hope SE burns to the ground then hopefully someone can buy the title and FIX it properly.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-02-27 21:27:26  
Reposting all this stuff here, I might pretty it up later (maybe).

The rune fencer is a job capable of controlling the ebb and flow of battle through the use of offensive and defensive runes inscribed upon their flesh to bolster their combat capabilities. Just as with the paladin and ninja, they excel in keeping their comrades safe, particularly with respect to magical damage from the elements. They are also practitioners of divine and enhancing spells, enabling them to be prepared for any engagement.

There are eight varieties of runes, each corresponding to a particular element. Harboring a particular rune adds its elemental affiliation to the rune fencer's repertoire, and a total of three runes may be active at any given time.

Runes are physical representations of a rune fencer's power.
When a rune fencer harbors a particular rune, he gains elemental resistance and deals additional damage from certain elements on autoattacks. Furthermore, harbored runes grant the rune fencer access to two special abilities--wards and effusions--which he can utilize in encounters to call forth a diverse array of offensive and defensive techniques.

Some Examples of Runes
Lux
Harboring Lux increases resistance against darkness and deals additional light elemental damage.

Flabra
Harboring Flabra increases resistance to earth and deals additional wind elemental damage.

Wards are abilities that enable the rune fencer to transform runes into a variety of powerful defensive effects. Different types of wards yield different effects.

The rune fencer invokes the shielding energies of his runes, reducing elemental damage taken by all party members in the area of effect. The types of elemental damage reduced depend on the runes harbored. Increasing the amount of runes of the same type further bolsters resistance, while inscribing runes of several different types broadens the scope of resistances.

Other wards include
Ward: Pflug
The rune fencer calls upon the dormant vivacity of his runes, increasing resistance against status ailments.

Effusion is en ability that enables the rune fencer to transform runes into powerful offensive abilities. Different types of effusion yield different effects.

The rune fencer discharges his runes in a debilitating tempest, consuming them to rend his foe's defense against damage from the elements. The types of defense reduced depend on the runes harbored. Increasing the amount of runes of the same type further increases the effect.

Other effusions include
Effusion: Lunge
The rune fencer unleashes the force of his runes in a deadly blast, expending all runes to deal elemental damage to a target. The number of runes of the same type harbored determines the damage dealt.

The rune fencer enhances his mastery over his blade, increasing his evasion and accuracy over time. One should not let his guard down even in this heightened state, however, for being the target of a critical hit will reset this value.

The rune fencer enhances his natural nimbleness, greatly increasing his evasion against physical special attacks. The effect diminishes over time.

[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2013-02-27 21:29:47  

That would be worse. Just because the graphics would be better doesn't mean the game would change, nor how the game is played. It wouldn't change the fact that LOTS of people don't like the kind of MMO that XI is.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-02-27 21:29:58  
NEW MUSIC WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

judging by the title it's some sort of battle theme, maybe swordmaiden theme?
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-02-27 21:34:10  
Bismarck.Dracondria said: »

That would be worse. Just because the graphics would be better doesn't mean the game would change, nor how the game is played. It wouldn't change the fact that LOTS of people don't like the kind of MMO that XI is.
I personally didn't like that XI got a number in the series, and IV...

I wish they just named XI "Final Fantasy Online" and IV something else, idk.

That's just me though~~~~
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-02-27 21:36:21  
the rune animations look okay. the actual graphics are nice, hoping the character animations are just placeholders D:

Also the eva/acc ability only resetting on crits makes it more promising, pending potency, especially in combination with Foil. Evasion tank with high resistance against magic and potentially substantial DPS output sounds... dangerous.
 Sylph.Dasanuffadat
By Sylph.Dasanuffadat 2013-02-27 21:53:36  
Little disappointed that the rune animations are just reskins of cor rolls by the look of it but I like what I see so far.
 Sylph.Asleep
By Sylph.Asleep 2013-02-27 21:57:09  
Time to merit mob critical hit rate down!
 Valefor.Sapphire
By Valefor.Sapphire 2013-02-28 08:07:18  
Not sure if I like some of the gsword art, the concept art for the red gs looks a bit too phallic... lol.

Kinda hoping for some more elegant lightweight gsword designs (like the silvery one in the illustration) or more like a Naglering which arent overly ornate but look nice. Would kill for a blue colored reskin of the caladbolg model for RNF.

Oh and please SE no more potato peeler gswords.....
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2013-02-28 08:28:37  
No doubt, I'm gonna level this job.
Maybe even GEO.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-02-28 08:32:12  
Speculation what mobs in game would a RUN be best against? It would have to be ones where the mobs stick to a primary element or its most dangerous move is known elemental damage or constant crippling status ailement. Avatars/Elementals and such maybe even dragons the KS99 fights for BB items can now be even more cake lol...
By Quiznor 2013-02-28 08:40:46  

To be honest I'd have expect to find "FFXI R&D" to be a nasty janitor closet in the basement of SE. There's a hamster skeleton on a wheel and a half-starved monkey banging at a type-writer (they hired TWO monkeys for a realm re-re-re-reborn).

All jokes aside: They could have "dat-swapped" some jenkity *** af sets onto a drk and SS it to give char models to the jobs. I don't expect anything from SE until it's released.

Also: with regard to them not putting rune fencer on caladbolg... I think it's more likely those lazy *** will do a quick fix like this to make it look like they did something. SoA will probably be a half assed expansion similar to WotG. We won't see the mission finale until a year after the exp is released and THEN they'll add the 8 beasts and the run mythic or wtfever (they'll need to devote manpower to development of FFXIV's 6th beta release for the 10 people who still think they can make it good).

Someone's having a bad day.Do I need to log onto skype and talk while sending a picture of my RDM AF2 hat taru? :(
 Bahamut.Scizor
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Scizor
By Bahamut.Scizor 2013-02-28 09:05:36  
What if....RUN only gets one weapon but the stats change depending on what runes are in effect!

That would be pretty interesting if Fire Rune = STR+/Att+ Purple Rune = DEX+/Acc+ etc