言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » New Zones
New Zones
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14
By drwaffles 2012-06-19 15:21:15  
Yeah, all his videos are pretty fun to watch for nostalgiagasms. I think they're probably some of the oldest semi-decent XI videos anywhere, including JP websites.
 Bahamut.Cantontai
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2012-06-20 19:16:56  
esdain said: »
Bahamut.Cantontai said: »
It is really hard to believe this is the same company responsible for several of my all-time favorite video games.

Don't get Squaresoft and SquareEnix confused. They are /not/ the same.

This is from Squaresoft:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMDZezWkYr8

This is from SquareEnix:
http://www.ponyfriends.com/

I'm probably going to have to get this tattoo'd on my back or something.

I was including Enix. Star Ocean 2 is one of my top 10 games of all time, and Dragon Quest and Valkyrie Profile were awesome.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-06-20 19:27:17  
esdain said: »
It is really hard to believe this is the same company responsible for several of my all-time favorite video games.

Don't get Squaresoft and SquareEnix confused. They are /not/ the same.

This is from Squaresoft:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMDZezWkYr8

This is from SquareEnix:
http://www.ponyfriends.com/

I'm probably going to have to get this tattoo'd on my back or something.

I was including Enix. Star Ocean 2 is one of my top 10 games of all time, and Dragon Quest and Valkyrie Profile were awesome.
Both Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile were merely published by Enix. Aside from DQ, Enix's best games are games they didn't even make.

Also of note is that the DQ series hasn't really faltered at all since the merger (DQ10 might be a different story..), 8 and 9 being massive successes both financially and with regard to reception. The same can't be said for FF or any Squaresoft property that I can think of.
 Fenrir.Mariane
サーバ: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2012-06-20 22:14:30  
Would it be a shock if I said that the first Star Ocean game was actually developed by Wolf Team ?

Yes, WOLF TEAM, the same people who eventually became the TALES team at NAMCO BANDAI GAMES .... lol

And apparently they made Star Ocean with a lot of reused code from Tales of Phantasia ... Funny world, eh ?

It's well known that ENIX aways kept their company small and outsourced the dirty work to other devs. Basically what a publisher does, no ?

Then they had the chance of scoring big by buying the moribund Square Co. Which they did.

The rest is history ... -_-;
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-06-20 22:16:16  
all i know is SO4 was trash.
 Bismarck.Alaister
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Alaister
By Bismarck.Alaister 2012-06-20 22:19:19  
Or maybe ROM9 is just a bunch of left over crap they decided not to include in the other expansions so they just put them there... I really would like to see another expansion but since SE is so headstrong into making 14 better i'm sure theres a small chance... We'll just have to see!
By Enuyasha 2012-06-20 22:23:52  
Bismarck.Alaister said: »
Or maybe ROM9 is just a bunch of left over crap they decided not to include in the other expansions so they just put them there... I really would like to see another expansion but since SE is so headstrong into making 14 better i'm sure theres a small chance... We'll just have to see!
after 2.0 is released and declared a "success" at launch by the fickle MMO players SE will shift around their teams and try to maintain both suscriber bases. XI is the most profitable venture they have going now (even at a slightly reduced membership base). If they can maintan both bases they can pull ahead from what trash.0 XIV did to their coffers.

but to turn this back into "/tinfoil mode:on" thread, dont doubt until there is absolute reason to doubt and dont get your hopes to world peace causing levels until there is absolute reason to.

Keep an open mind, dont be a pessimist.
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-06-20 22:31:48  
There is a fine line between pessimism and realism, even if 2.0 is a "success" its going to be a very limited "success" and won't even address the issue of XIV being too expensive to play compared to the superior competition.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-06-20 22:52:09  
Or maybe ROM9 is just a bunch of left over crap they decided not to include in the other expansions so they just put them there...
The striking resemblance the first zone bares to a work in progress Jeuno, for me, is inescapable. Combine this with the theory that all of the models and textures are simply "placeholders". No. Placeholders are quite visible in the "Gustaberg with waterfalls" zone at the encampment. THAT'S what placeholders look like. Where others see placeholders, I see designs/textures that were saved and later utilized in the actual game we play. /extreme pessimism
 Ragnarok.Spira
user: Spira
By Ragnarok.Spira 2012-06-21 01:33:37  
as far as the town environments go, the building models may or may not be placeholders, because we don't know anything about the towns to assume their architectural identity. if the town is related to sandy, then it might just fit in perfectly.

however, the textures used in prontera are definitely placeholders. they're dummy textures. like if you open them up using polutils you will see they're handdrawn in a cartoony way and labeled "dummy".

the open zones on the other hand, don't exactly have any placeholders to speak of. the encampment in waterfall cliffs zone, that one doesn't even have textures at all, which seems to imply its a totally new asset being built into the map.

there are similar assets built into almost all the other zones, tho their degree of progress is a bit more varied
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-06-21 02:24:49  
I would'nt be one bit suprised if that one town is jeuno in wotg, but idk why they would add that now >_>
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-06-21 02:26:31  
Jeuno looks the same in WotG as it does today.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-06-21 02:27:50  
SE can change their mind, and use mindtricks on us, to belive it does'nt!
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-06-21 03:31:49  
Why do people consider FFXIV improvement the doom of FFXI, whilst FFXI may be in its twilight, the things are not related. You realize SE produces tons of games while they're working on FFXIV? Different teams.
 Asura.Daleterrence
サーバ: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2012-06-21 05:16:58  
Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Jeuno looks the same in WotG as it does today.

Umhm... SE seem to have forgotten that Ru Lude wasn't even built until after the war. >.>
 Carbuncle.Ambivalent
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: sunpride
By Carbuncle.Ambivalent 2012-06-21 06:02:59  
Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
Why do people consider FFXIV improvement the doom of FFXI, whilst FFXI may be in its twilight, the things are not related. You realize SE produces tons of games while they're working on FFXIV? Different teams.

People are still mad about XIV.

I don't get it either, but that's what it seems to boil down to.

Many people have said that is has had major improvements, and is fun now, but people just don't care. It's an easy target for ire.
 Odin.Creaucent
サーバ: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-06-21 06:04:52  
Well ru'lude was there during the war but it was on one of bridges but was destroyed by gigas during the battle of jeuno. After the war it was moved to the top of jeuno. Though from the end cses of wotg it does seem like its in the normal place but meh could be like that star trek film different time lines w/e rubbish.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-06-21 14:46:17  
Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
It's widely believed that money that would naturally be funneled back into FFXI, at an amount comparable to other successful MMOs, is instead going to cover FFXIV losses (of all kinds, such as 1 year of unpaid "beta", development of what is essentially 2 games, but only the sale of 1, and brand tarnish). If FFXIV had any other name than "Final Fantasy", and it was made by any other company than SE, it wouldn't exist anymore. They would have pulled the plug, last year. FF is too big, and too important to SE so the hole XIV made is being subsidized by their only other lucrative money maker.

FFXI generates an absurd amount of money for the minimal (at least lately) amount of work they preform on it, and of course the nominal cost of servers and maintenance. I'd bet it's grossed the company more money than every other FF combined.

When you say the company has other games, teams, properties, comparing Deus Ex, nay, comparing FFXIII to FFXI is like comparing Pikmin to Mario.

SE also consists of a huge amount of branches, some of which could be considered glorified publishers of the properties they've acquired (Eidos, for instance). For FF (up until FFXIV, that is) all of the development was done at Square central in Tokyo. That was and is the core of the company we barely recognize in this day.

FFXIV was outsourced to a studio in China (which has since become "acquired property"), because the real Square was too busy developing FFXIII at the time. Huge mistake. We're talking Spirits Within all over again. Wada, without resigning, is attempting to fix the problem but it has brought FFXIV development back to Tokyo, so yeah, FFXI and FFXIV are now directly competing for staff members. You'd have to be shitting yourself if you can't admit the game hasn't seen a noticeable hit. I don't think it spells out the doom of anything, but it is at the very least an unfavorable predicament, as I care very little about the direction/fate of FFXIV but find myself returning time and time again to FFXI, despite the decline in quality.
 Fenrir.Moldtech
user: Moldtech
By Fenrir.Moldtech 2012-06-22 05:48:10  
The latest news of the situation...

This feller is doing a fine job stalking this information
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-06-22 06:12:39  
I'm just waiting for it. Tonight, Tanaka takes the stage with a picture of the new expansion...

"Seekers of Adoulin... our new mini-expansion foray into the unkno-...

LOL J/K. ASHITEA IS OVER GIMPLETS.

Want to climb that mountain over there? *points at screenshot*

TOO BAD. Go buy Skyrim or something, 'cause I ain't Todd Howard. This ***is being incorporated into our current high-hitting content such as:

Voidwatch!
Legion!
Moblin Maze Mongers!
Pankration!

That's right! These beautiful zones are going the way of the chocobo, that is, FULL FLIGHT TO FANTASY! We will be adding new, extraordinary monsters to new Legion and Voidwatch battlefields!

Jungle Colibri!
Jungle Naraka!
Jungle Mantid!
Jungle Botulus!

Can you feel the excitement? I can barely contain it!

For only 600 US dollars, all of this and more can be yours!

By 'and more', of course I mean Beech Logs. Enjoy!

-Hiromichi Tanaka, Lead Producer, Final Fantasy XI"
[+]
 Asura.Daleterrence
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2012-06-22 06:16:55  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
I'm just waiting for it. Tonight, Tanaka takes the stage with a picture of the new expansion...

TOO BAD. Go buy Skyrim or something, 'cause I ain't Todd Howard. This ***is being incorporated into our current high-hitting content such as:

Voidwatch!
Legion!
Moblin Maze Mongers!
Pankration!

That's right! These beautiful zones are going the way of the chocobo, that is, FULL FLIGHT TO FANTASY! We will be adding new, extraordinary monsters to new Legion and Voidwatch battlefields!

Jungle Colibri!
Jungle Naraka!
Jungle Mantid!
Jungle Botulus!

This might just be the greatest thing I have ever read.
By Fyyvoaa 2012-06-22 06:18:29  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »

Voidwatch!
Legion!
Moblin Maze Mongers!
Pankration!

Jungle Colibri!
Jungle Naraka!
Jungle Mantid!
Jungle Botulus!

I just expect him to quiety walk on stage.... stare at everyone ... then yell with his arms raised.

"BARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANCE!"
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-06-22 06:19:22  
Yeah like the Iron Chef guy
[+]
 Phoenix.Zyeriis
user: Ertyir
By Phoenix.Zyeriis 2012-06-22 06:49:31  
Am I the only person who has come up with the idea that these "new zones" are redesigns for currently existing zones?

The seaside one being Port Bastok.
The cathedral one being San D'Oria.
Underground waterway...Bostaunieux Oubliette or Toraimarai Canal...
2 jungle zones? Yuht and Yhoat?
Riverside area, Pashhow Marshlands maybe, bit of a stretch though.
Empty Forest is too empty to make any logical connection.
The Dry Steppe, Gustaberg?
Tunnel Zone looks like Ranperre's Tomb.

Obviously speculative to an extreme but we don't exactly have a lot to go on.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-06-22 06:50:47  
*stares*

Seriously, lol...
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-06-22 06:54:23  
They are using default textures atm, so those aren't going to be different atm.

As far as design... that's a stretch. Sure there are some resemblances but... that is going to occur. Like the blog I posted earlier said, the stronghold/empire map is on a slope and no zone has really been on one yet except for maybe beau depending on how you look at it.
 Asura.Marysvillain
By Asura.Marysvillain 2012-06-24 21:13:36  
Odin.Eikechi said: »
I'm sorry Vic. I didn't know you could see the future of gaming. Tell me what the next big hit is, so I can make millions. kthx.... Obvious hyperbole is obvious, but point being, people ARE interested in it. And I think it really will change the status of 14. Keep hatin' on it if you really want. But that kind of attitude will affect the game negatively. If you keep spreading "oh it's still gonna be garbage" all over the place, people will eventually believe you. I wouldn't want to see a game I'm enjoying die to the "rumor mill", because that's just plain unnecessary considering most of the mud slinging is from people who haven't given the game a chance since a bad launch. Guess what? XI's launch was massively junk even on NA shores. So was D3, with server issues. /end rant /end derail

*cough* wouldn't use D3 as an example as they have lost their player base faster than 14 did. Plus have done nothing or show no signs of taking any initiative to add to this base or fix major gameplay problems. The playerbase as well as economy has been dying day by day since the middle of week 2 in my opinion.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-06-24 21:25:01  
Cat's out of the bag now with Vanafest, but this was never really a possibility. You seem to have missed the fact that the ROM9 folder was only added a few months ago and the files within are even newer. If anything it was a subtle teaser for them to add it at the specific point in time that they did.
[+]
 Bismarck.Danz
サーバ: Bismarck
user: danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2012-07-04 11:22:55  
i just came to a sudden realization. i was looking at the prices of flame geodes. thinking. wow SE should.... OMG... THEY JUST MIGHT!
add more zones with flame weather being common! maybe that Valkurm dunes place might have it as common as Gustaberg has wind or something
making it possible for penny pinchers such as myself able to finally make it worth wile farming for my flame path weapons! :D
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14