[Dev] FINAL FANTASY XI 2012 Roadmap
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10
 Ragnarok.Nekonarf
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Nekonarf 2012-04-28 09:53:55  
Odin.Elmodfz said: »
Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
there are a lot of areas the can open up to us, based on the existing storylines... not sure where this map was pulled from, but it shows the "entire vanadiel world"

I saw that map a little while ago. If SE made expansions that allowed us to explore those new islands, gave us new story line missions for them, perhaps a couple of new races/jobs or something, that would keep the game going considerably longer than updating the VW, old battle fields such as Einherjar and dyna etc would. I'd love a new place to explore, travel by boat or tele or something. It would give people much more things to do, even though there is already so much this game offers, a lot of people are just sitting in abyssea or grinding VW, WoE etc.

We're adventurers, give us somewhere new to explore!

That's a fan made map, nothing like that has ever been released by square.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-04-28 10:35:42  
Fan made but based on ingame information. Shape of the continents may be wrong, but the world is supposed to be more or less like that.
[+]
 Phoenix.Bomber
user: Bomber
By Phoenix.Bomber 2012-04-28 10:39:17  
Give it up already :/ this game is DEAD move on to 14 or TERA or w/e lol
By Jetackuu 2012-04-28 17:23:05  
Phoenix.Bomber said: »

give it up already people are going to play regardless of what your irrelevant opinion is.

(inb4 people are going to *** etc)
[+]
By Jetackuu 2012-04-28 17:26:08  
I wasn't insulting anyone's intellectual ability, I was merely stating the fact that they need to improve upon their reading comprehension skills, and I wasn't the only one.

Also, even if it were true: with that statement it would be pot calling the kettle black.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2012-04-28 17:26:29  
This game is pretty much dead to me if they don't add some sort of expansion anyways. Just not really having any fun anymore.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2012-04-28 17:27:36  
Phoenix.Dramatica said: »
This game is pretty much dead to me if they don't add some sort of expansion anyways. Just not really having any fun anymore.
ok?
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2012-04-28 18:03:35  
This "Roadmap" looks like it's a road to nowhere.

I mean, there's some modestly-interesting ideas on that "map", but nothing to write home about.

I still applaud the development staff for being at least somewhat more transparent than they were in years past. However, this content preview is fairly snooze-worthy.
[+]
 Cerberus.Oseryu
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Oseryu 2012-04-28 18:31:23  

Yep your opinion matters along with the other 6 pages I read of trash and people bitching, Anyways I'm looking forward to this hopefully these expansions they're mentioning sum up to be worth buying I hope! Also playing as a monster should be pretty damn fun :D new job classes would be nice continents and races all that etc
 Phoenix.Bomber
By Phoenix.Bomber 2012-04-28 19:42:34  
Jetackuu said: »

give it up already people are going to play regardless of what your irrelevant opinion is.

(inb4 people are going to *** etc)
You are trying to save a sinking boat they had 10 years to add all these "expansions" ppl asking for >.> can't keep a game been appealing 20 years later like the 80's music for example XD. At this point SE is squeezing things out of old stuff instead of adding new that's pretty convincing they ain't planning on adding nothing new lol so yeah only thing i agree on is game has to go F2P
By Jetackuu 2012-04-28 19:45:56  
I'm not trying to do anything.

I just don't see the point in bitching about it here in an attempt to be "hip."

plus you need to learn how to do math and research.
 Bismarck.Patrik
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2012-04-28 19:52:36  
Cerberus.Oseryu said: »

Yep your opinion matters along with the other 6 pages I read of trash and people bitching, Anyways I'm looking forward to this hopefully these expansions they're mentioning sum up to be worth buying I hope! Also playing as a monster should be pretty damn fun :D new job classes would be nice continents and races all that etc
please no more jobs O.o; 20 is already a lot, and SE is having a hell of a time making even a fourth of them useful at the moment x.x

but on the road map. I'll admit it's sure as hell a lot less than i would have hoped for... but hey, they are still adding new stuff. and while a lot of people may be tired of the old stuff, i am glad they are revamping it. this game IS old, so it's wise for SE to take advantage of all the content they have already made. they wont be able to update this game forever, I'd at least be happy if they manage to make it... stable some time soon (stable meaning- all jobs have a significant purpose, new players can level in ways aside from paying off higher levels, and the game's vast amount of content serves a valid purpose.)
 Phoenix.Bomber
By Phoenix.Bomber 2012-04-28 19:55:32  

Whats exactly the math and research i need to do here? >.>
By Jetackuu 2012-04-28 19:57:38  

how long since last content and planned partial expansion. respectively.
 Phoenix.Bomber
By Phoenix.Bomber 2012-04-28 19:59:01  

What has that to do with SE not feeling like adding all that ppl is asking for?
 Cerberus.Cleverness
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Cleverness 2012-04-28 20:00:15  
While the prospect of the old events being retooled for the new cap sounds appealing, it's more of a "I'll have to see if they actually do it right before I'll be happy" type of thing with me. They made Neo Dynamis more accessible for players gear wise(currency too), but Neo Nyzul was a pretty big disappoint due to the way that casuals could approach the original Nyzul and still get stuff done, and if you were geared and with a competent group you could do climbs + boss clears even faster. Current setup takes alot of the skill out with random floor jumps that even a group that can clear 18~ floors a tag(give or take a few due to randomness) can still not reach 100 cause they got low floor jumps.

If they simply redo Limbus/Salvage/Ein for higher levels and don't add any stupid gimmicks that take the fun out of the event because of randomness(ignoring the regular randomness of certain aspects of Salvage) then it'd probably be appealing.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2012-04-28 20:02:25  

What has that to do with SE not feeling like adding all that ppl is asking for?

it has to do with what you said, as for what people are asking for: most of what they want isn't possible or feasible, and the rest is on the way+ unexpected stuff.
By Jetackuu 2012-04-28 22:51:34  
I miss Spicyryan.

edit: as a person, not as a poster (if that makes any sense).
[+]
 Siren.Calnus
サーバ: Siren
user: Calnus
By Siren.Calnus 2012-04-28 22:52:18  
I miss Spicyryan.

You're probably the only one that does.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2012-04-28 23:00:40  
shame
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2012-04-28 23:23:14  
Ragnarok.Kongming said: »
Have to fundamentally disagree with both of you. I'm not even sure where to begin, so let's start with this nugget of wisdom: SE wants you to keep paying them for as long as possible.

Yeah. I hate stating the obvious but this is the underlying feature that drives this machine. You keep paying, they're happy. As long as you keep paying, it is completely irrelevant as to why you are continuing to pay them; if you're genuinely enjoying their product, great. If you're a hopeless addict who can't let go of something you love to hate to love to hate, you know what? That's great too. Completely irrelevant.

SE doesn't give one *** ***about your "feelings", "what I want", "what we deserve", and "what we should have had 10 years ago. You're still paying them regardless if they do anything about your gripes or nothing at all.

Yes, it's pretty clear to see that SE wants to keep people playing and that is irrelevant to my argument because even on that fundamental issue they consistently fail to do it right.

The base is currently starved for content and we know the game is on a skeleton crew squeezing out just the bare minimum to hold interest. The 'roadmap' alone shows you how bare things have gotten when the best things are joke tier events (play as a monster? more like chocobo racing suck II) and more rehash than you can shake a stick at.

Fine.

What isn't fine is the strategy they've chosen to make things oh so obvious that everything is a wall 'o stall designed to keep you spinning on that hamster wheel till the mayan fireball engulfs us all. If the strategy is to keep people stalled then guess what? Do it right.

Releasing Legion fixes, making it reasonable for the current base and then attaching some carrots (like heavy metal, dynamis currency) that keeps people playing for months is one such example of doing it right. What does SE do instead? Completely goof the Legion launch, completely goof the point system, make things so difficult only a microcosm of players would attempt the content and create zero demand for their new timesink.

Are they really trying to keep people paying?

Now I know you'll say "well they don't need to do it better because people will continue to pay regardless" and to that I say what shortsighted thinking from a company trying to get people to throw money at their next game. You have people who have been loyal customers (receptive to MMOs) and you squander the opportunity over what amounts to bad short run decisions?

Instead of developing rapport with the remnants of your proven base you scorn them with poor business decisions (content that doesn't even approach appealing for your casual), excuses (fumbling attempts to tell the base they just aren't doing Legion right), bad game play decisions (nigh impossible without tools Nyzul Uncharted) and overall incompetence? Sounds like a great way to squeeze out some dollars now only to lose them when you really need it on the XIV relaunch thanks to largely self-inflicted wounds.

But SE knows all about self-inflicted wounds, don't they.
 Siren.Piccollo
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Piccollo 2012-04-28 23:28:07  
the sad truth of the new roadmap is the ffxi dev team have nothing new for us = no new expansions or really new content which as we all know means ffxi will become more stale for us all over the next yea and move it ever closer to its death, sadly we all know its gonna happen sometime i just wish they gave us something to look forward too of an epic proportion.
 Shiva.Galbir
サーバ: Shiva
user: galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-04-28 23:32:04  
Siren.Calnus said: »
I miss Spicyryan.

You're probably the only one that does.
Nope.
[+]
 Odin.Tsuneo
サーバ: Odin
user: Tsuneo
By Odin.Tsuneo 2012-04-28 23:32:37  
I'm sure if they had a new expansion they wouldn't ruin the surprise factor by saying it on the roadmap. I'm not saying they are making one; I'm just saying it doesn't seem logical to announce it that way.
 Phoenix.Bomber
By Phoenix.Bomber 2012-04-28 23:59:38  
The least SE should do is cut down the monthly fee ...if there's no sign of full brand new expansion ppl keep asking for ..hell Yoshida is offering a permanent discount on 14 a game x100 better graphics with constant patches that are making it a better game than 11
 Asura.Psubond
サーバ: Asura
user: psubond
By Asura.Psubond 2012-04-29 00:07:19  
i don't know why people can't understand this but there will be no full expansion until ps2 support is killed
 Ragnarok.Kongming
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-04-29 00:08:28  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
I'm having a hard time replying to this mostly because it seems like you agree with me, unless some or all of it is sarcasm in which case my radar didn't go off.

Basically, everything you have suggested is being actively supported by the "base". I'd like even to redefine what "base" means in this case as users who are content with anything as opposed to users who will quit without what they desire.

The mere notion that SE hasn't realized said "base" exists is absurd. Even if it's not as large as I imagine. My hypothesis is based on the fact that I believe SE is so aware of the base that the calculated moves they've made regarding FFXI are almost entirely wagered with the assumed characteristics of the hopeless addict demographic.

When you say "do it right", I contend that in the perspective of SE they already are doing it right. They feed their base something, they promise grandiose ideas, and ultimately consistently under-deliver, with the added promise that "we'll fix it in 3-6 months". The worst part is that the base is consistently buying this ***.

USD$12.95 isn't very much to pay for a monthly subscription to anything, so this marketing model works exceptionally well. For them. I don't want to be like others who have suggested "if you don't like it, then quit" because this is essentially like telling an alcoholic the same thing. It's not intuitive, it's obvious, and it circumvents the entire problem.

What I do wish to convey, if I wish to convey anything, and I'm not certain of that, is that this is not the result of most of the most common things people blame this problem on. Denying that budget is the main problem is like denying the fact that someone dying of cancer is not a victim of the human condition but of their own lifestyle. Most certainly, lifestyle plays a role, but if cancer wasn't biologically and evolutionarily inherent in the growth of normal cells in all organisms, we would obviously have people, despite their lifestyle, living full lives in spite of their lapses in judgement.

If there's one center to this argument, and I believe it to be "SE is not putting the money into FFXI that should otherwise be accepted", I believe I have suggested an unchallengeable explanation as to why. If you refute my explanation, I would like an alternative and as far as I can tell, you have not suggested any despite refuting my explanation.
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10