users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Endgame » Sea/Limbus » Absolute Virtue
Absolute Virtue
First Page 2
 Shiva.Stelios
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Stelios 2012-03-14 22:56:55  
Ok got a question for all the people that have done a lot of sea. Did a JoL / AV run tonight and need some help with AV. We went in with all 99's Bst x 2, Smn, Mnk(Emp), War(Emp), Thf, and Whm. JoL was np at all we went right through it. The problem was AV. This was my first attempt at AV so did not know what to expect. The best we could get it down to was 95%. The regen was more powerful than we could really handle. Reading on the wiki AV page it says:

500 HP/Tic Regen.
Reduced by 50% by using Magical attacks that correspond to the current day
Reduced again by 50% by killing many of the Jailer of Love's pets.

How many pets roughly is "many" enough to active this 50% reduction. And the Magical attacks do you have to continuely cast these spells to keep it active? Or, do you activate it once and it stays on? We have other setups and more members that we could use to zerg it but I would rather find a way to kill it without. I think its possible to take it down without a full on zerg if the regen can be handled.

Also, does anyone have a setup that can take down AV without just going in to zerg it?
 Fenrir.Bigakuga
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Bigakuga
By Fenrir.Bigakuga 2012-03-14 23:14:37  
From what I remember doing in old sea LS you have to kill approximately 5 waves (1 group of all 3 pets) that JoL summons to get rid of the regen effect. Number might be wrong but that's just what i can recall doing with my LS.
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-03-14 23:31:41  
Nine sets of pets kills the regen. You need JOL to be spawning only Phuabo.

If you only got it to 95%, you aren't going to be killing it any time soon even with the Regen gone.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Gunit
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Gunit
By Ragnarok.Gunit 2012-03-14 23:40:16  
4 DDs and a THF couldn't zerg it with PD?
By Zackan 2012-03-14 23:40:19  
Common AV strategy

Pop JoL and have a Ochain pld tank it. At this point you don't do any damage to JoL. Also put a thf on it to proc TH. Let JoL summon pets. He will summon 3 types, one type being 'sharks'(phuabo i believe). 'Eventually' he will ONLY summon sharks. Should like 5 waves as Bigakuga said. When he is only bringing out sharks and nothing else, this is when you kill JoL.

When JoL is dead you have someone 'sack' AV to make sure he doesnt despawn. Have your alliance go change jobs at this time.

You need 1 smn and 1 Brd per party(in an alliance of 18, thats 3 brds, 3 smn) Summoners NEED alexander and Bards NEED there meritable abilities that make there songs last longer.

The summoners pick a party and stay in it, 1 per party. The bards rotate out so you can get 6 songs on everyone. At this point you have the other 12 members as there strongest DD jobs. You want Spike Damage Melee jobs. DPS is useless, you have 1.5 minutes to kill him or else. Again you want SPIKE damage, not SUSTAINED. big difference. Also make them melee jobs, blm is no good. Samurai and Warrior tend to be the best options. Others can work but the more Samurai and Warrior the better.

So... 1: brds rotate put buffs up 2: Smn casts alexander 3: Melees engage, Use 2 hour abilities, kill AV before PD wears off, and PRAY AV doesnt use invincible, benediction, or perfect dodge.
By Zackan 2012-03-14 23:41:43  
Ragnarok.Gunit said: »
lol?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Gunit
By Ragnarok.Gunit 2012-03-14 23:42:44  
Was AV buffed recently?

Edit: Cause its been a while since i last killed him.
 Fenrir.Minjo
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-03-14 23:46:03  
Zackan said: »
Common AV strategy

Pop JoL and have a Ochain pld tank it. At this point you don't do any damage to JoL. Also put a thf on it to proc TH. Let JoL summon pets. He will summon 3 types, one type being 'sharks'(phuabo i believe). 'Eventually' he will ONLY summon sharks. Should like 5 waves as Bigakuga said. When he is only bringing out sharks and nothing else, this is when you kill JoL.

When JoL is dead you have someone 'sack' AV to make sure he doesnt despawn. Have your alliance go change jobs at this time.

You need 1 smn and 1 Brd per party(in an alliance of 18, thats 3 brds, 3 smn) Summoners NEED alexander and Bards NEED there meritable abilities that make there songs last longer.

The summoners pick a party and stay in it, 1 per party. The bards rotate out so you can get 6 songs on everyone. At this point you have the other 12 members as there strongest DD jobs. You want Spike Damage Melee jobs. DPS is useless, you have 1.5 minutes to kill him or else. Again you want SPIKE damage, not SUSTAINED. big difference. Also make them melee jobs, blm is no good. Samurai and Warrior tend to be the best options. Others can work but the more Samurai and Warrior the better.

So... 1: brds rotate put buffs up 2: Smn casts alexander 3: Melees engage, Use 2 hour abilities, kill AV before PD wears off, and PRAY AV doesnt use invincible, benediction, or perfect dodge.

If it weren't for the Ochain comment, I would have sworn this was a copypasta from years and years ago. You don't need a PLD for JoL, and you don't need an 18-man alliance for AV. A handful of competent DD, and SMN, and a healer are more than sufficient.
[+]
By Zackan 2012-03-14 23:48:47  
well... maybe i have just gone with bad groups.. I have still not beat him. And i don't play paladin so maybe ochain might be wrong. Maybe I shoulda just said competent Pld.

And how are you beatting it with 6 if i can't beat it with 18 lol!

with only 6 there is no way you kill it in 1.5 minutes... and why do you need a healer
 Bismarck.Sylow
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-03-14 23:49:26  
Crappy DDs lol?
 Leviathan.Draylo
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2012-03-14 23:50:25  
Are we still in 2012?
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-03-14 23:51:17  
Quote:
Bst x 2

And no BRD.
 Ragnarok.Gunit
By Ragnarok.Gunit 2012-03-14 23:52:09  
well... maybe i have just gone with bad groups.. I have still not beat him. And i don't play paladin so maybe ochain might be wrong. Maybe I shoulda just said competent Pld.

with only 6 there is no way you kill it in 1.5 minutes... and why do you need a healer
Healer is for JoL, and you tried it at 90+ with 18 people and failed? How?
 Ragnarok.Gunit
By Ragnarok.Gunit 2012-03-14 23:53:38  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Quote:
Bst x 2

And no BRD.
Bst is not a very good job seeing as pet won't get PD but the BST itself should still be able to do some decent damage.
By Zackan 2012-03-15 02:17:04  

Healer is for JoL, and you tried it at 90+ with 18 people and failed? How?

well i know i went gimp sam lol.. but still if what yall are saying is true... it shouldnt have mattered, you should be ablel to take like 10 leeches and still win
By GraddHelian 2012-03-15 02:46:12  
If you are holding JoL, hold it with a BLU spam fantod never lose hate.

You've never needed a PLD for JoL lol x:
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2012-03-15 03:34:44  
OP gets a solid 10/10 for the lols I had. Thank you!
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-03-15 04:05:52  
Bring a WAR for Upheaval, can do like 5K.
[+]
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2012-03-15 04:48:31  
idk we did it with 2 4 dd/1 sch parties
and had 2 BRDs rotate b4 popping JoL, and 2 SMNs rotate b4 hitting AV

<3 embrava + 4 songs

2-3min tops for both forms
By Zackan 2012-03-18 07:05:10  
So I just want to understand something.. these days do yall beat AV with a different method? Not talking number of people participating. I just mean..
1: Fight JoL, get as much TH as possible, reduce AV's regen.
2: AV pops, spam element of day, Use PD kill.

Is this still the 'basic' tactic at 99, just with less peeps? or do yall do 'extended' fights (meaning once PD wears off, you keep fighting) cuz by this point its usually win or death I thought.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-03-18 07:10:42  
Dont even need to spam element of day anymore really.
It's really squishy with good DDs now
 Odin.Sawtelle
サーバ: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2012-03-18 07:11:51  
Thats how most do it. I seem to remember seeing a shell(Might have been homing missle?) post a screenshot from an AV they did by locking benediction and holding w/ an aegis pld while DDs killed it.
By Quiznor 2012-03-18 07:20:21  
Since its 2 hours are timed,here's how we managed to get it recently.

Pop JoL,kill 9 waves of pets.Time its death it be at the end of the BRD swap/during SMN alex casts.DD's intercept it from the PLD (flashes if alex isnt finished) and you go straight for AV.That way you have 90 seconds to kill it and it shouldnt even get a single pair of 2 hours off.
 Ragnarok.Nekonarf
By Ragnarok.Nekonarf 2012-03-18 07:35:20  
There really is no need for all of that.

Majority of the shell had not fought JoL since 75 so we played it cautious, now we just zerg the ***out of it stunning it once it's done, someone drops and grabs AV when he's white and prevents him from wiping the entire alliance, songs PD and kill.
 Asura.Tamoa
サーバ: Asura
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2012-03-18 07:42:33  
This is how we do it:

Pop JoL and hold it (we use lolpld), stick a thf mule on it, let it pop 9 sets of pets to kill AV's regen, then kill JoL.

One person (the lolpld) drops from alliance before JoL dies, to sac AV while people change jobs if necessary (we don't though, people are there on the necessary jobs already), then 2hr brd songs, haste for the DDs, Perfect Defense and go to town on AV.

That's basically all there is to it.

Hell, we got it to 17% NOT using 2hr + zerg method. But then bracelets and benediction kinda screwed us over lol.
 Valefor.Vadai
サーバ: Valefor
user: Ergan
By Valefor.Vadai 2012-03-18 07:43:16  
4 competent DD, a THF(for TH, obviously), a SMN(for PD, obviously), a SCH, and a COR is more than enough for AV.

You don't need to reduce his Regen anymore unless your DD are complete trash. Simply kill JoL, sac AV till everyone unweakens and is buffed with either a mule or one of those BSTs you are bringing(twilight set, and won't contribute much on AV itself anyway). Put your COR rolls on, have the SCH embrava you, and make sure the DD have haste. You do not need a BRD if you have this. Gather around AV and have the SMN PD the DD party, then kill it.
 Asura.Tamoa
サーバ: Asura
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2012-03-18 07:47:38  
Valefor.Vadai said: »
4 competent DD, a THF(for TH, obviously), a SMN(for PD, obviously), a SCH, and a COR is more than enough for AV.

You don't need to reduce his Regen anymore unless your DD are complete trash. Simply kill JoL, sac AV till everyone unweakens and is buffed with either a mule or one of those BSTs you are bringing(twilight set, and won't contribute much on AV itself anyway). Put your COR rolls on, have the SCH embrava you, and make sure the DD have haste. You do not need a BRD if you have this. Gather around AV and have the SMN PD the DD party, then kill it.

Ha, ok, next time we do AV I'll convince people to forget about the pets and regen then. :)

Would be nice too, boooooring to just stand there and wait for JoL to finish popping those pets.
 Sylph.Sagiaurex
サーバ: Sylph
user: Sagiaurex
By Sylph.Sagiaurex 2012-03-18 08:23:18  
Ramuh.Austar said: »
Bring a WAR for Upheaval, can do like 5K.

Oh gosh the lols I had lookin at that upheaval thread xD
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2012-03-18 09:44:04  
these guys are doing their first AV. Don't advise them that "4 competent DDs can do it".

Bring the aforementioned 2 parties of 4 heavy DDs 1 SMN 1 BRD. Do it with 12 and get a feel for the zerg. Certainly its possible with less, especially at 99, but don't listen to the advice of people who have done it several times with far less even at 95 for your first run. Play it cautious and don't "waste" a popset for what its worth.

Then enjoy your drops and be happy you didn't try to do what people on their 8th AV do. Do that on YOUR 8th AV.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [932 days between previous and next post]
By Luthiene 2014-10-06 14:02:10  
SOrry to wake this post up, but has anyone tried killing AV recently with all the ilvl gear and whatnot? Please tell me your strats if you're successful, we're planning on trying with a small group of friends.
First Page 2