フォーラム » FFXI » General » omg, im gonna be sick
omg, im gonna be sick
First Page 2
 Ramuh.Jadell
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: jadell
By Ramuh.Jadell 2009-04-27 14:19:07  
I have finally been reduced to dial up to play. I had a fairly decent connection until this past weekend when my aircard decided to suddenly die and my isp provider could only accomodate me if i spent $300 and then 60$ additional dollars per person in my house for them to have their very own isp air card. Of course there are companies that are providing DSL within 1 to 2 miles of my house but can't bother to come any closer. So until one of them decides to get off their *** and actually provide dsl on my street i have to slog along on dial up.

pissed off is only being nice about what i am thinking and feeling. lol

give up ffxi?? hell no
[+]
 Hades.Spoon
サーバ: Hades
user: Spoon
By Hades.Spoon 2009-04-27 14:21:10  
Dear God! This is terrible! My first experience with an MMO was EQ way back when and I played on dial up. That sucked for the time, I can't imagine trying to pull it off now. We should start a fundraiser, or charity, to bring high speed internet to all the unfortunate gamers of the world.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ragnell
サーバ: Bahamut
user:
By Bahamut.Ragnell 2009-04-27 14:38:22
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Be happy you can aleast play on 56k, Most games dont deal with that ***anymore, When you hit 28k let me know
サーバ: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-27 14:46:35  
Man, that sux...hope you had fun doing Besieged and Campaign before, 'cause it's prolly gonna be a little rough now >.<

Have you thought of a data plan through your cell phone provider? Obviously more expensive then terrestrial services, but if it's that bad on dialup...?
[+]
 Hades.Dizzmal
サーバ: Hades
user: Dizzmal
By Hades.Dizzmal 2009-04-27 14:47:20  
I play on 56k. it's not that bad, of course I have never had broadband @ home to game on but meh. I can still play this game and use Vent .. just catch lag spikes every now and again.
[+]
 Asura.Icon
サーバ: Asura
user: ic0n67
By Asura.Icon 2009-04-27 14:53:20  
FFXI is a great game for that aspect actually. The game is designed to play on a 56k connection which is why if you are on cable, dial up, or dsl you get the same experience. Kudos to SE for that one.
[+]
 Ramuh.Brahmdut
user: brahmdut
By Ramuh.Brahmdut 2009-04-27 14:57:04  
from what i understand i play on high speed dial up and then i use a wireless at max range and it works just fine when i do not d/c
[+]
 Ramuh.Xanathos
user: xanathos
By Ramuh.Xanathos 2009-04-27 15:06:14  
lol...my first year on ffxi "back in the day" was via "borrowed" wireless access from my neighbor. actually both me & my bf played on my neighbors wireless for that year. not my fault they didnt secure their network. wonder if they ever wondered why they had no bandwidth? lol

i've thought about sending them a thank u letter...
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-27 15:07:38  
Xanathos said:
not my fault they didnt secure their network.

Wide open network = fair game.
 Ifrit.Thunderz
サーバ: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-04-27 15:08:30
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Xanathos said:
not my fault they didnt secure their network.

Wide open network = fair game.

epic ftw
until the bill rolls in

Yes my ISP has a download limit >.>
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-04-27 15:17:52  
I played ffxi for the first few months on dial up...it worked.
 Bahamut.Ashua
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ashua
By Bahamut.Ashua 2009-04-27 15:19:45  
years ago when i was staying at a friends house alot i would bring my ps2 and the 56k had no noticible problems.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Akajoyroth
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Akajoyroth 2009-04-27 15:28:51  
I started on a PS2 with dial up...I remember when Downloads would take 5+ hours and the occasional D/C
...has to suck go'n from a fast connection to snail speed...
 Cerberus.Oric
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Oric
By Cerberus.Oric 2009-04-27 15:34:10  
I played on dial up for about 2 years, only problems I ever had were d/cing more frequently (usually atleast once an hour) and taking a few extra seconds to zone. Other than that I never ran into any problems, even in dynamis or anything like that.
 Garuda.Antipika
サーバ: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-27 15:39:59  
Mabrook said:
ewww... I couldn't possibly play FFXI with a (...) bandwidth limit.

Not like FF XI suck a lot of BW :/
 Titan.Xanakali
サーバ: Titan
user: Xanakali
By Titan.Xanakali 2009-04-27 19:07:01  
Look into Satellite ISPs the one I work for offers decent speeds of over 10Mb down.
 Ragnarok.Anye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-04-27 22:27:09  
I also play on 56k~

I find no problems, other than hellishly long updates that take the entire night. I just leave my computer on and... read a book. :O
 Siren.Markii
サーバ: Siren
user: Markai
By Siren.Markii 2009-04-27 22:36:36  
I use my blackberry's tethering capability to play ffxi and all my other internet needs.
extra $10/month on my Alltel bill for unlimited quasi-high speed internet.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-27 22:39:15  
Xanakali said:
Look into Satellite ISPs the one I work for offers decent speeds of over 10Mb down.

Issue with satellite is latency, satellite ain't good for online gaming. Sure you'll have pretty nice transfer speed, but the response time between you and the server will be huge (usually 1-3 second).
 Titan.Xanakali
サーバ: Titan
user: Xanakali
By Titan.Xanakali 2009-04-27 22:56:02  
Antipika said:
Xanakali said:

Issue with satellite is latency, satellite ain't good for online gaming. Sure you'll have pretty nice transfer speed, but the response time between you and the server will be huge (usually 1-3 second).

Anything over ~500ms-~600ms ( .5-.6 seconds ) indicates a large problem and usually means I have to fix something. Looking at our list of customers I see no one over 650 atm. .5 seconds is plenty fine for FFXI. Perhaps not an FPS, but fine for FFXI.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-27 23:03:57  
500~600ms would be ok in most of situation, except stunning :/ I already have a hard time stunning certain moves in time with 300ms. I can't imagine with 600ms. 600ms + reaction time + 500ms (stun cast time) = way too long. Sure latency have less impact on FF XI because the gameplay is very slow unlike others MMOs or FPS/RTS. Most of spells takes several seconds to be cast, mob lifetime is high etc...
 Phoenix.Milkies
サーバ: Phoenix
user: fuzzies
By Phoenix.Milkies 2009-04-28 00:01:06  
havent tried on a 56k connection speed before, does it lag really? like longer zoning time etc?
 Kujata.Houshisama
サーバ: Kujata
By Kujata.Houshisama 2009-04-28 00:58:58  
i wouldn't think the game would be THAT intensive for the connection, because most of what lag is IMO is lag from the computer displaying what the game is trying to show you,..... i've played on all types of connections, 56k, dsl, high speed dsl (i guess its faster than the regular ***they market), cable, and satellite. I've never noticed a real significant difference in the play because my computers have always been able to handle FFXI with a breeze even back in 2004 when i started
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-04-28 01:03:43  
I use Satalite DSL when I'm at my parents house, and regular DSL at school. There is a significant increase in connection speeds between the two.
 Fairy.Blackmist
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-04-28 01:54:53  
i played on Dial up, for the 1st 2 years i played, out in the middel of no where, only problem i ever had, was Takeing up the phone line, an "long" updates,

FFXI updates was nothing compared to when i started Guild wars on Dial up >.< 28 hours just to Update the dam thing, and a new update to every *** town you visit -.-'
 Ramuh.Jadell
user: jadell
By Ramuh.Jadell 2009-04-28 08:16:43  
ok.... I did my first day on dial up and it actually wasn't too bad. If anything I now notice a fairly consistent send/receive.

Previously I was connecting via Alltel using a Kyocera 650 aircard that I plugged into a kyocera router that was stationary in the middle of my house. We were able to share up to 4-5 computers on that one air card. But we did have issues where the Alltel signal would weaken and we would bounce over to Sprint, who had a stronger signal at times. But you cannot get service directly thru them... they want to sell the rght for you to use their tower to your isp (Alltel) instead.

Alltel gave me a new and improved aircard on saturday, told me it was compatible with my router, after having made them call advance tech support and their agreeing, lol thats a joke. Get home have issues, call tech support to be told no it doesn't support.

I had service through Wildblue for internet but even though we paid for the higher speed they would FAP me and drop me down to dial up speed, add the short lag from router to satellite and back it was really bad, but they don't drop what you pay when they FAP you, they still want their money for what you are not getting.

According to them satellite is for email not gaming and videos..... I looked at them like 'hello' what do yout think people do on the internet...... just email......

But i will get a dedicated phone line just for my puter for the game, not too bad. I did campaign last night and assault and it was not to bad. I was actually surprised. My friend is also on dial up and he said that before an event like SEA or SKY he will just disconnect, reconnect restart his puter and he is good to go for several hours with no interruptions.

Thanks guys for listening to me rant.
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2009-04-28 08:39:42  
Jadell said:
ok.... I did my first day on dial up and it actually wasn't too bad. If anything I now notice a fairly consistent send/receive.

Previously I was connecting via Alltel using a Kyocera 650 aircard that I plugged into a kyocera router that was stationary in the middle of my house. We were able to share up to 4-5 computers on that one air card. But we did have issues where the Alltel signal would weaken and we would bounce over to Sprint, who had a stronger signal at times. But you cannot get service directly thru them... they want to sell the rght for you to use their tower to your isp (Alltel) instead.

Alltel gave me a new and improved aircard on saturday, told me it was compatible with my router, after having made them call advance tech support and their agreeing, lol thats a joke. Get home have issues, call tech support to be told no it doesn't support.

I had service through Wildblue for internet but even though we paid for the higher speed they would FAP me and drop me down to dial up speed, add the short lag from router to satellite and back it was really bad, but they don't drop what you pay when they FAP you, they still want their money for what you are not getting.

According to them satellite is for email not gaming and videos..... I looked at them like 'hello' what do yout think people do on the internet...... just email......

But i will get a dedicated phone line just for my puter for the game, not too bad. I did campaign last night and assault and it was not to bad. I was actually surprised. My friend is also on dial up and he said that before an event like SEA or SKY he will just disconnect, reconnect restart his puter and he is good to go for several hours with no interruptions.

Thanks guys for listening to me rant.

Eh... as far as I know, Air cards are pretty shitty anyway no?
 Diabolos.Subzero
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Subzero
By Diabolos.Subzero 2009-04-28 12:21:48  
What the *** @ dial up in 2009. If woodsville texas can get internet, I mean the real one, you should too.
 Asura.Icon
user: ic0n67
By Asura.Icon 2009-04-28 12:40:08  
Someone said something on this thread already that would lead someone to believe that playing with a dial up connection is not only possible, but will actually have minimal effect on game play. Where is it ...

Icon said:
FFXI is a great game for that aspect actually. The game is designed to play on a 56k connection which is why if you are on cable, dial up, or dsl you get the same experience. Kudos to SE for that one.
First Page 2