[+]
 Cerberus.Rayik
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2011-09-06 11:08:46  
Asura.Dajociont said: »
lolllollolololollololollolol

Awesome. Yay. For a second there I thought we were gonna talk about gear. My bad.
 Asura.Dajociont
サーバ: Asura
user: Jamehkun
By Asura.Dajociont 2011-09-06 11:10:56  
your roll

slow it
[+]
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-09-06 11:32:08  
Fenrir.Kendraian said: »
Anyways RDM without sanguine blade is a bummer.. but i supposed RDM/DRK is a great combo since DRK/RDM is pretty sweet itself.

but i supposed RDM/DRK is a great combo since DRK/RDM is pretty sweet itself.

DRK/RDM is pretty sweet itself.

DRK/RDM

[+]
By yenluck 2011-09-06 11:32:15  
The only way I think you'd get close to respectable damage is almace/kclub with a really nice tp set to back it, even then it wouldn't be anything special.

Edit: Maybe single handing Excalibur (90) against a really high defense mob? Could still be good against JOL *maybe*?
 Cerberus.Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2011-09-06 11:43:12  
IMO, the two biggest obstacles against RDM melee are:

1. Bad native sword WS's(that don't require an empy or Nyzule)

2. Feeding TP to dangerous mobs

Any damage a RDM does in melee is only going to be supplemental; we'll never outdamage a true DD, and we're not supposed to. This is fine for trash xp mobs or lower tier NM's, but becomes a real problem against powerful NM's with disastrous TP moves.

SE has already said they are looking into revising RDM's native sword WS's, so the first problem may be resolved soon, but the second one remains. No group is going to let a RDM melee on something that spams deadly TP moves. Then again, in the case of many of those same NM's, even other DD jobs aren't meleeing on them other than the tank.

These are just my observations. Yes, I know we get Evisceration and Aoelian Edge, but our dagger selection sucks at the moment. Allowing us to make magian daggers would be nice, but very unlikely.
 Asura.Dajociont
By Asura.Dajociont 2011-09-06 11:44:34  
sounds like this thread needs a serious case of war/sam
[+]
 Fenrir.Kendraian
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Boondo15
By Fenrir.Kendraian 2011-09-06 11:49:29  
Simple minded people.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-09-06 11:50:36  
sounds like this thread needs a serious case of war/sam

i agree

war/sam
[+]
 Phoenix.Fondue
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-09-06 11:50:53  
Simple minded people.
that was uncalled for
 Asura.Dajociont
By Asura.Dajociont 2011-09-06 11:57:37  
Simple minded people.

how is recognizing rdm melee sucks balls and war/sam is amazing being simple minded? this is quite the opposite, being able to recognize and accept change or convert to being a superior force is anything but simple minded. but i guess trying to do what's completely lacking in intelligence is good too, because THAT'S NOT THE DEFINITION OF SIMPLE MINDED AT ALL. see: rdm melee
[+]
 Cerberus.Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2011-09-06 12:02:44  
Simple minded people.

how is recognizing rdm melee sucks balls and war/sam is amazing being simple minded? this is quite the opposite, being able to recognize and accept change or convert to being a superior force is anything but simple minded. but i guess trying to do what's completely lacking in intelligence is good too, because THAT'S NOT THE DEFINITION OF SIMPLE MINDED AT ALL. see: rdm melee

RDM melee and war/sam are two completely different animals. IF you can't see the difference or uses of each, maybe you're the simple one.

One of RDM's strengths is that is has access to it's entire spell list at all times(yes even in melee). It doesn't rely on light/dark arts to be up, and simple gear macros can ensure that the same amount of support/enfeebling can be done even while engaged.

But, I already pointed out two of the big obstacles above. RDM melee isn't about OMG spike damage, it's supplemental DoT while still casting, curing, enfeebling, etc.

Unfortunately, with our piss-poor sword WS's(and good dagger WS's with bad daggers) our melee contribution is little more than just feeding the mob tp.
[+]
 Fenrir.Terminus
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-09-06 12:03:29  
I love how this guy is like, "I want something to play around with" and the general consensus of the community is "No."

Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe I'm just one of the few people that recogniz that he's not even trying to break new grounds in the melee department. He's just looking for a fun distraction. You guys remember that right? Fun?
[+]
 Cerberus.Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2011-09-06 12:07:33  
Fenrir.Terminus said: »
I love how this guy is like, "I want something to play around with" and the general consensus of the community is "No."

Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe I'm just one of the few people that recogniz that he's not even trying to break new grounds in the melee department. He's just looking for a fun distraction. You guys remember that right? Fun?

Fun is gimp, apparently. I think people forgot what fun means.

For kicks, you should check out the official RDM forums. It's like a warzone over there on this topic.
[+]
By Zeyphr 2011-09-06 12:09:39  
Fun? Everyone on XI is either '-_-' or just QQing at the fact you think outside the box, they'd rather think outside the box but pushed right up against it
 Phoenix.Ingraham
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-09-06 12:10:38  
I always sorta felt RDM melee would be uh, not too bad had FFXI been developed with a stronger emphasis on exploiting damage types thus rewarding versatility. That's a limitation of the game engine and a result of bad design that plagues the entire game however, and not just a problem regarding RDMs.

Even then, this probably wouldn't have changed anything and instead would have players to level even more jobs.

Simple minded people.

lmaaaaao oh god oh wow rofl xDDDDD so epic ftw u fell 4 it he was just rollpraying as da jduge from ff12

u mad jelly xD SPORK?
 Fenrir.Kut
user: Kutsurabi
By Fenrir.Kut 2011-09-06 12:13:11  
Almace is hard and lolKendaian <3 You also have PLD so why not just get one.

1 haste over so substitute where need's be, but this should be a decent starting place.
[+]
 Asura.Tamoa
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2011-09-06 12:14:53  
Rdm melee sucks and I fail to find anything fun in something that sucks.

But it might just be me.
[+]
 Asura.Toxleh
user: Toxeus
By Asura.Toxleh 2011-09-06 12:16:37  
Asura.Tamoa said: »

But it might just be me.

it isn't just you lol
[+]
 Sylph.Liltrouble
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-09-06 12:18:00  
I melee on Rdm, and I do it exceptionally well. I don't do it in a party atmosphere though, but when soloing mobs that I can't solo on my other jobs. When is melee on Rdm applicable? When the NM you're soloing typically uses "Draw-in." Or, as in the Ash dragon case, when adds are highly congested, limiting any chance of kiting. Any aspiring Rdm is recommended to practice on, say, Cemetery Cherry.
 Cerberus.Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2011-09-06 12:18:03  
Asura.Tamoa said: »

But it might just be me.

And that's legit. It's just one side of a multi-faceted job. But, others(like myself) enjoy it. That shouldn't stop any RDM's who enjoy mage-only duties from continuing to do what they enjoy, but those of us who enjoy melee should be allowed to do so as well, in appropriate situations(no we're not melee'ing HNM).

We know RDM melee sucks in the game right now. SE has said they are working on it. So, here's hoping.
 Asura.Dajociont
By Asura.Dajociont 2011-09-06 12:19:22  
i actually never said fun was gimp, although i spoke in a general sense. but i guess having the mind of a hypocrite will obscure anything you see fit :(

and no tam, it isn't just you, but i guess we're wrong for wanting to not blow a million ***
 Fenrir.Terminus
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-09-06 12:24:04  
Cerberus.Rayik said: »
Fenrir.Terminus said: »

Fun is gimp, apparently. I think people forgot what fun means.

For kicks, you should check out the official RDM forums. It's like a warzone over there on this topic.

I can't. I went there once (not to rdm, but poked around) and by the time I came back, I wanted to kill a kitten.*

I guess, though, I try to spread the message of "people should have fun" as much as some people spread optimization and efficiency, so I should keep my damn mouth shut. :(
 Cerberus.Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2011-09-06 12:33:30  
i actually never said fun was gimp, although i spoke in a general sense. but i guess having the mind of a hypocrite will obscure anything you see fit :(

and no tam, it isn't just you, but i guess we're wrong for wanting to not blow a million ***

Did I say you said that? And if you are referring to me(since I did say some people think fun is gimp) how would I be a hypocrite?

Heck, I even said Tam's statement was legit. It's just a play style preference, and not for everyone. RDM is a very capable mage, and melee is really just a smaller part of the overall job.

Disregard if referring to someone else.
 Shiva.Johneblaze
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Johneblaze 2011-09-06 16:34:53  

I saw a badass melee rdm once, o wait that was ff 1
I would so melee rdm if it was anywhere near this ^^
[+]
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
サーバ: Leviathan