フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » rng/mnk?
rng/mnk?
First Page 2
 Leviathan.Cycerath
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Cycerath
By Leviathan.Cycerath 2011-07-26 03:17:12  
this would be a pretty nifty set up if the mob came running towards you, could counter a few attacks till the tanks got hate back, or better yet, you could probably just plain tank right out, better then shadows
[+]
 Bahamut.Gimpness
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Gimpness
By Bahamut.Gimpness 2011-07-26 03:22:46  
isn't there already a /mnk thread for every job? :x tryagainkthx
[+]
By AlkalineJoe 2011-07-26 03:23:00  
I'd rather just wait it out for our supposed new TA ability.

You'd need to lose the staff/grip and use a dagger or axe if you want to hit anything. No DW either, so just one weapon in slot. You lose out on distance benefits too. Absolutely nothing to enhance your ranged attacks either. I really don't see the benefits of /MNK for RNG.
 Bismarck.Helel
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-07-26 03:32:44  
AlkalineJoe said:
I'd rather just wait it out for our supposed new TA ability.

You'd need to lose the staff/grip and use a dagger or axe if you want to hit anything. No DW either, so just one weapon in slot. You lose out on distance benefits too. Absolutely nothing to enhance your ranged attacks either. I really don't see the benefits of /MNK for RNG.

dude...
 Fenrir.Skarwind
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-07-30 13:28:39  
Being able to tank some what and live>damage
 Sylph.Rebo
サーバ: Sylph
user: Rebo
By Sylph.Rebo 2011-07-30 13:52:35  
Leviathan.Cycerath said:
this would be a pretty nifty set up if the mob came running towards you, could counter a few attacks till the tanks got hate back, or better yet, you could probably just plain tank right out, better then shadows

Well considering ranger's paper thin defense and even more so with counterstance up your going to die even quicker, at best your going to get 1/5 hits countered. (20% counter rate maybe 1/4 w/ right atma) /mnk isn't really the answer counter is not guaranteed, shadows are. Look at your defense after you use counterstance. The reason Monk is so good with counter is because of the extras mnk has access to that increase it. ie: perfect counter, 5% Counter rate from merits, 13% counter rate from Counter II job trait @81. and Melee Gaiters equipped when activating counterstance for additional 10%. I just don't see the possibility of such a low counter rate with the drastic defense loss. being a viable option.
[+]
 Fenrir.Lillaly
By Fenrir.Lillaly 2011-07-30 14:23:47  
No. Just No
 Bahamut.Samsonxiii
user: Spook153
By Bahamut.Samsonxiii 2011-07-30 14:27:40  
/BLM for Ice spikes or Shock Spikes
[+]
 Bahamut.Serj
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-07-30 14:33:00  
Old, been there done that. Try to be more original. This thread, I mean.
 Phoenix.Mogue
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2011-07-30 14:49:42  
Bahamut.Gimpness said:
isn't there already a /mnk thread for every job? :x tryagainkthx
this.
[+]
 Phoenix.Fredjan
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2011-07-30 14:51:15  
RNG/MNK? the ****?
By Artemicion 2011-07-30 14:57:54  
[+]
 Remora.Dodu
サーバ: Remora
user: Tsuko
By Remora.Dodu 2011-07-30 15:12:05  
Sylph.Rebo said:
Leviathan.Cycerath said:

Well considering ranger's paper thin defense and even more so with counterstance up your going to die even quicker, at best your going to get 1/5 hits countered. (20% counter rate maybe 1/4 w/ right atma) /mnk isn't really the answer counter is not guaranteed, shadows are. Look at your defense after you use counterstance. The reason Monk is so good with counter is because of the extras mnk has access to that increase it. ie: perfect counter, 5% Counter rate from merits, 13% counter rate from Counter II job trait @81. and Melee Gaiters equipped when activating counterstance for additional 10%. I just don't see the possibility of such a low counter rate with the drastic defense loss. being a viable option.

Not that I'm suggesting any RNG use this SJ, but you have no idea what you're talking about.
[+]
 Seraph.Rafik
サーバ: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2011-07-30 15:20:34  
if you need some protection go /sam... seigan/third eye... so, why would you /monk?
 Leviathan.Draylo
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-07-30 15:21:38  
Boost + ws, game breaking.
 Sylph.Rebo
By Sylph.Rebo 2011-07-30 16:09:40  
Remora.Dodu said:
Sylph.Rebo said:
Leviathan.Cycerath said:

Not that I'm suggesting any RNG use this SJ, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

You can troll but not explain? lol. Where are my facts wrong?

Good try.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-07-30 16:19:06  
Sylph.Rebo said:
Sylph.Rebo said:
with counterstance up...your going to get 1/5 hits countered
is a good start
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2011-07-30 16:28:43  
Cerberus.Wolfshadow said:
Sylph.Rebo said:
Sylph.Rebo said:
is a good start
 Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-07-30 16:30:12  
Honestly if WAR/MNK can tank Itza(Hits fast/often/very hard) without a problem (GH/AoA/RR). With berserk up I might add what is the problem with Ranger doing it? Seigen and Shadows can only do so much especially on anything that attacks fast/multihits/hundred fists..

Edit:
Keeping this ability active will increase a character's counter rate to a base of ~50% before gear and merits.

Gnarled Horn adds about 10% to that.

Where the hell are you getting 1 out of 5 hit's countered from? (20% from Counterstance itself? I don't think so.)

That being said, ***'s situational.

Seems attractive spamming JR without giving a ***about hate as long as you are facing a mob.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-07-30 16:35:53  
Fenrir.Skarwind said:
Honestly if WAR/MNK can tank Itza(Hits fast/often/very hard) without a problem (GH/AoA/RR). With berserk up I might add what is the problem with Ranger doing it? Seigen and Shadows can only do so much especially on anything that attacks fast/multihits/hundred fists..
Problem with rng/mnk is mostly the lack of any offensive abilities, I don't think that boost affects ranged attacks, but even if it does if you aren't /saming you're most likely breaking an x-hit build you probably have, losing meditate, losing self skillchaining with sekkanoki, while still retaining the respectable seigan-third eye until something else redirects its attention. If you're tanking on rng you're too close to be dealing very good damage with ranged attacks, greatly hurting any reason you were on rng in the first place, and pretty much meaning that even if you did pull hate at some point, you wouldn't even have it for long.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dionikes
user: Dionikes
By Bahamut.Dionikes 2011-07-30 16:43:06  
This fact that people are giving this guy the time of day is mind blowing, although i suppose im just as bored considering i read the post in the first place lol
[+]
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-07-30 16:46:08  
Bahamut.Dionikes said:
This fact that people are giving this guy the time of day is mind blowing, although i suppose im just as bored considering i read the post in the first place lol
watching moogle spin in mh etc
 Sylph.Rebo
By Sylph.Rebo 2011-07-30 21:36:42  
Cerberus.Wolfshadow said:
Sylph.Rebo said:
Sylph.Rebo said:
is a good start

Actually it says "AT BEST" because if you took the time to do the math 10% job trait 10% counterstance 1/5 20%... again at best.. Once again.. Good try

Edit: and if you think you srsly get 50% counter rate from counterstance being up you are misinformed. wikifail probably. No way in hell /mnk counters 1 of every 2 hits.
 Remora.Dodu
サーバ: Remora
user: Tsuko
By Remora.Dodu 2011-07-31 01:30:17  
In what way is your eyeballing any more reliable than Wiki's 8 year-old testing, which was followed up whenever the enhancement on AF2 was tested?

Also, you think that defense has any bearing on whether or not you should use Counterstance. The less defense you generally have, the less Counterstance is hindering your ability to take a hit.

Like I said, no idea what you're talking about.
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2011-07-31 01:36:59  
Artemicion said:

Me and Fry are not Amused >:(
 Sylph.Rebo
By Sylph.Rebo 2011-07-31 10:04:20  
Remora.Dodu said:
In what way is your eyeballing any more reliable than Wiki's 8 year-old testing, which was followed up whenever the enhancement on AF2 was tested?

Also, you think that defense has any bearing on whether or not you should use Counterstance. The less defense you generally have, the less Counterstance is hindering your ability to take a hit.

Like I said, no idea what you're talking about.

Quote:

Are you fkn srs! HAHAHAHA Maybe if you actually played the game I would be more interested in your misinformed findings, but seeing as this quote pretty much relieves me of defending anything to you anymore i'd say good day sir. HAHAHAHAHAHA
 Fenrir.Curty
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2011-07-31 10:36:07  
Just some advice Rebo, if a lot of people saying you wrong, and no one agreeing with you. Need to check yoself.

20% is a severe underestimation of counterstance
 Ifrit.Arawn
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-07-31 11:13:19  
Alas, the crappy conversations we let ourselves be dragged into.
First Page 2