フォーラム » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Fishing » good npc'able fishin place
good npc'able fishin place
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-07-21 14:26:34  
Drjones said:
It's more along the lines of "why should you get stuff for free when everyone else has to put in their time?"

so, to review, you can't show what i'm doing is wrong, you can't show it hurts others

you are simply upset that i choose to do the easy way what you choose to do the hard way, even though the same option is readily available to you

or, boiled down, "people who don't play the game the way i personally feel it should be played"

be sure to scream at people who drive to work instead of walk, or who use tools instead of building everything by hand
[+]
 Bismarck.Nevill
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-07-21 14:28:22  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Asura.Ludoggy said:
Get an ebisu.

i'm working on it!

:(

Makes a world of difference.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-07-21 14:29:08  
how many hakyuryu can you catch in a day before fatigue
 Asura.Ludoggy
サーバ: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-07-21 14:31:07  
Game doesnt let me catch enough in a small period of time to let me fatigue.
 Bismarck.Calina
user: calina
By Bismarck.Calina 2011-07-21 14:31:38  
Asura.Ludoggy said:
Get an ebisu.

Wish I could get lucky and get 1(0/500+ on each fish)
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-07-21 14:31:43  
Asura.Ludoggy said:

i'm not entirely sure what that means!
 Asura.Arkanethered
By Asura.Arkanethered 2011-07-21 14:31:57  
Just because other people "put in their time" doing stupid ***does not mean I have to waste mine in the same manner.

Get a fish bot, use it once. Be changed for life and have more free time. It is pretty win win.
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-07-21 14:34:24  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Asura.Ludoggy said:

I havent hit fatigue yet ._.
Most I've caught in a day was 160
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-07-21 14:35:06  
Asura.Ludoggy said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Asura.Ludoggy said:

I havent hit fatigue yet ._.
Most I've caught in a day was 160

i can live with that :o

12ish hours?
 Fairy.Spence
サーバ: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2011-07-21 14:35:33  
What if they were just a bunch of no lifes who'd fish for 10 hours a day? Would that make it better?
 Bismarck.Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-07-21 14:36:37  
Fairy.Spence said:
What if they were just a bunch of no lifes who'd fish for 10 hours a day? Would that make it better?
Of course, because they did it the hard way. Makes their pixels shine brighter.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-07-21 14:36:49  
Fairy.Spence said:

of course.

spending literally more than half your waking hours pushing a directional arrow in opposition to an imaginary fish is the morally right thing to do.

your kids and family will be thankful that you make such productive use of your time
By Drjones 2011-07-21 14:39:02  
You're not "doing" anything, and that's the problem I have with it.

You can literally go AFK to make your gil with fishbotting. Every other method of gil-making I'm aware of requires some sort of player input.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-07-21 14:42:42  
Drjones said:

You can literally go AFK to make your gil with fishbotting. Every other method of gil-making I'm aware of requires some sort of player input.
You gotta turn on your bot and occasionally check for mistakes.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-07-21 14:47:30  
Drjones said:

so, just to make sure i'm getting this right

fishing done manually eats up a huge portion of your time to make any significant gil

you feel i have an obligation to neglect huge portions of my life in favor of of pressing three buttons repeatedly so that i can acquire this imaginary currency

the fact that i don't neglect my friends and family to make it strikes you as wrong, and therefore you hate me, because i choose to bypass it in a way that not only doesn't hurt anyone, but benefits others

you feel this way despite the fact that square enix approves of and encourages my botting

pic related:

[+]
 Siren.Barber
サーバ: Siren
user: Barber
By Siren.Barber 2011-07-21 14:51:32  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

so, to review, you can't show what i'm doing is wrong, you can't show it hurts others

you are simply upset that i choose to do the easy way what you choose to do the hard way, even though the same option is readily available to you

1) Quite easy to show it's wrong. It's against the rules of the game you are playing.

2) Quite easy to show it hurts other people. Purchasing power depends on not only how much gil one person has, but how much other's have. If I have 10,000,000 gil and everyone else has 100 gil I can buy as many Silverpieces as I want. If I have 10,000,000 gil and everyone else has 10,000,000 gil they got from fishbotting I can no longer buy as many as the price will rise to adjust for the new demand.

It really is that cut and dry. Of course no bot will ever change their mind. It's never wrong. It never effects other people. Ya, and the people that made money by npcing barone stuff during 05 didn't hurt anyone either. After all, they were only interacting with npcs right?

There has been a natural evolution in how bots respond to criticism. For a long time it was "I don't bot". Then it's "I bot but it doesn't hurt anyone". Then its "I bot because I care about one person's progress in the game- mine. And I really don't care if I have to cheat to do it". The HNM bots moved on to stage 3 years ago. Why won't fishbots just man up and say "I do it. It's wrong. I don't give a ***."
[+]
By Drjones 2011-07-21 14:52:26  
Or maybe if fishing doesn't suit you, you should just find alternative source of gil.

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

you feel this way despite the fact that square enix approves of and encourages my botting
Am I getting wooshed?
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-07-21 14:53:29  
I do it. It's wrong. I dont give a ***.

Will you leave me alone now? of course not.
[+]
 Siren.Barber
By Siren.Barber 2011-07-21 14:56:07  
Seeing as how that was my first post on fishbotting in like 6 years....yeah I probably will.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-07-21 14:57:09  
Siren.Barber said:
Seeing as how that was my first post on fishbotting in like 6 years....yeah I probably will.
You is different.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-07-21 15:03:03  
Siren.Barber said:
i have not taken philosophy or economics courses

well, let's get something straight. i don't give a ***. i do plenty of things that aren't fishbotting that ARE wrong, and i have no problem admitting it.

now. to reestablish why npc fishbotting isn't wrong. it's against the rules of the game? so just because someone makes a rule, you have a moral obligation to follow it? when stalin made a law where you had to turn in family members that disagreed with him, was it morally wrong to break that law?

blindly following rules is very low level thinking. you have to consider the source. in this case, the source is a corporation, that has structured its game to eat up your time and foster addiction to their product. am i morally obligated to follow rules from that source? nope!

inflation. yes. i forgot, over the past few years, inflation has been the bane of xi, just like ffxiah's chart of the consumer price index has shown. oh, wait. ffxi's economy has been in a downward spiral for years now, and SE has been desperately looking for ways to inject gil into the economy, i.e. crour to gil, items that npc for high prices

sorry, se is desperately trying to produce inflation right now, and i'm helping their cause
 Bismarck.Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-07-21 15:06:52  
I do it because dora says its ok.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-07-21 15:08:41  
Drjones said:

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

Am I getting wooshed?

on multiple levels, yes, but not from this statement.

ok, check it out. procure a copy of the SE GM manual. not hard to do if you know where to look. ok, back? follow along.

look at the list of commands availible to gms. take special notice of /stell

this allows GMs to send a silent tell. it opens a dialogue on my screen, which, while i'm asleep, i would not be able to respond to.

banning me is as easy for SE as sending one command. all of my accounts could be banned tomorrow, if that's what SE wanted.

they know i fish at qufim every night. i've been reported to the STF multiple times. i'm utterly blatant about fishbotting. yet, they don't ban me.

why? because they know i am helping the ffxi economy recover, and while they aren't going to come out and say it because they want to placate the anti-bot crowd, they have absolutely no intention of stopping me.

the punchline? players madder over fishbots than SE is.
[+]
By Drjones 2011-07-21 15:13:16  
So the fact that you haven't been banned yet implies consent and encouragement? That sounds pretty far fetched.
By BorealisV2 2011-07-21 15:13:19  
I approve of botting.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-07-21 15:14:48  
Drjones said:
So the fact that you haven't been banned yet implies consent and encouragement? That sounds pretty far fetched.

considering that banning me would constitute typing a four letter command after receiving multiple reports about me, yes.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Flionheart
By Carbuncle.Flionheart 2011-07-21 15:16:08  
Drjones said:

It's not really far fetched. SE clearly don't care about bots. When's the last time you know someone got banned for botting?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Lolserj
user: Andras
By Carbuncle.Lolserj 2011-07-21 15:19:08  
Drjones said:

everytime a non-botter gets banned for something like lag or for that silly credit-card ***in PoL and I remain in game I feel something

it fills me with joy
[+]
 Siren.Barber
By Siren.Barber 2011-07-21 15:42:38  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

now. to reestablish why npc fishbotting isn't wrong. it's against the rules of the game? so just because someone makes a rule, you have a moral obligation to follow it? when stalin made a law where you had to turn in family members that disagreed with him, was it morally wrong to break that law?

blindly following rules is very low level thinking.

inflation. yes. i forgot, over the past few years, inflation has been the bane of xi, just like ffxiah's chart of the consumer price index has shown. oh, wait. ffxi's economy has been in a downward spiral for years now, and SE has been desperately looking for ways to inject gil into the economy, i.e. crour to gil, items that npc for high prices

sorry, se is desperately trying to produce inflation right now, and i'm helping their cause

Look, I really don't care if someone makes 200k a night botting. It's about 1/5th of what I make just playing the game. It's inefficient and the .00001% chance of a ban makes it not worth it in my eyes. But deluding yourself into thinking that somehow botter's should be given in game rewards for NOT playing the game just doesn't make reasonable sense.

Your Stalin example is completely ridiculous. If someone makes a rule in a game you choose to participate in, yes, you follow that rule. If you get 3 strikes in baseball you go back to the dugout, you don't demand an extra pitch. In football you don't run out of bounds and keep running and demand you get a touchdown. In tennis (if it is a sport) you don't use a 20' x 20' chainlink fence as a racquet and just stand at the net holding it. Defending the moral issue is really secondary. What bots are doing is shooting their free throws from one foot away. The rules of this game are written whether you like them or not.

Also, don't take SE's lack of policing of the rules as encouraging behavior. It's just they don't want to employ the manpower. You see this all over the country where police don't even file reports on anything less than a felony anymore. It's not that punching a guy in the face isn't wrong. It's that they don't have the manpower to enforce the rule.

P.S. The economic index on ffxi is a horrible way to judge prices. They are still using things like scorpion harness and haubergeon as indicators. Of course the market is going down. That's like judging the current global economy by how well newspaper corporations are doing financially.
[+]
 Bismarck.Altar
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-07-21 15:49:57  
How the fk is tennis not a sport?