users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » WHM Gear Advice
WHM Gear Advice
 Leviathan.Draylo
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-04 17:23:20  
No, it never does harm. Worst case scenario you cure in fast cast gear, in which you can just cast another cure right away. Where are you getting "useless -50 enm" from? You are getting -30 enm from allure, everyone uses MM the discussion isn't concerning it. That isn't even accounting gear, you are probably over cap.
 Sylph.Siccmade
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Siccmade 2011-06-04 17:23:47  
I think you guys are confusing luxury with necessity.

Nobody relies on Quick Magic... at least I hope not.

Saying that a good WHM is harmed by an instant cast is just silly.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-04 17:24:56  
Carbuncle.Nezea said:
Shiva.Aaralyn said:
I must have high luck then.

The extra mind does more for me than the instant cast. My play style is preemptive, and that instant cast gets in the way. I do not find myself needing to spam cures, even with more than 6 people getting hit. Curaga my party since I have that useless -50 enm, then cure 4-6 the other parties. Instead of spamming cure 5 and 6 over and over.

Apoc does me more harm than good.

Pretty much this. A good WHM should be familiar with what the mob can do and cure preemptively whenever possible, not only when you see people's HP bars are low. You have the power to make your own cures "instant" whenever you want if you cast at the appropriate time, instead of relying on some stupid atma to give it to you once in a while.

Yeah? Then you can top them off after the damaging AOE with another cure that you just insta casted.
 Carbuncle.Nezea
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2011-06-04 17:26:30  
A WHM casting preemptively is harmed by an instant cast. It still takes a second or two to recover from casting a spell so you can cast another, even if the recast is zero. And it's really damn annoying when it makes you cast your spell in precast gear.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-04 17:27:25  
Carbuncle.Nezea said:
A WHM casting preemptively is harmed by an instant cast. It still takes a second or two to recover from casting a spell so you can cast another, even if the recast is zero. And it's really damn annoying when it makes you cast your spell in precast gear.

How are they harmed?
 Carbuncle.Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2011-06-04 17:27:27  
Leviathan.Draylo said:
Carbuncle.Nezea said:
Shiva.Aaralyn said:
I must have high luck then.

The extra mind does more for me than the instant cast. My play style is preemptive, and that instant cast gets in the way. I do not find myself needing to spam cures, even with more than 6 people getting hit. Curaga my party since I have that useless -50 enm, then cure 4-6 the other parties. Instead of spamming cure 5 and 6 over and over.

Apoc does me more harm than good.

Pretty much this. A good WHM should be familiar with what the mob can do and cure preemptively whenever possible, not only when you see people's HP bars are low. You have the power to make your own cures "instant" whenever you want if you cast at the appropriate time, instead of relying on some stupid atma to give it to you once in a while.

Yeah? Then you can top them off after the damaging AOE with another cure that you just insta casted.

Or you could use Cure 6 or something, and then Cure 5 again. Like I said if you keep yourself hasted there's no reason you should be waiting on cure recast.
 Carbuncle.Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2011-06-04 17:29:35  
Leviathan.Draylo said:
Carbuncle.Nezea said:

How are they harmed?

The answer is already right in front of you.

Quote:
It still takes a second or two to recover from casting a spell so you can cast another, even if the recast is zero.

Not to mention if you use Cure 6 preemptively and instant cast fires off you just wasted 200+ MP. Not that MP is hard to come by or anything but it's still detrimental.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-04 17:30:35  
You get cureskin, and if the difference between life and death is 2 seconds because you insta casted a cure that gave cureskin, someone is doing something wrong.
 Carbuncle.Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2011-06-04 17:33:15  
It's not a matter of being the difference between life and death. It's a matter of performing to your maximum potential; something you probably don't understand since you call an extra 50-100 HP per cure "worthless." That 2 seconds you gain frees you up to do other things and it adds up over the course of an entire fight.
 Ramuh.Krizz
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-06-04 17:35:17  
Ramuh.Krizz said:
If you can't post without name calling, then don't post. Keep it civil, people.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-04 17:35:32  
Carbuncle.Nezea said:
It's not a matter of being the difference between life and death. It's a matter of performing to your maximum potential; something you probably don't understand since you call an extra 50-100 HP per cure "worthless." That 2 seconds you gain frees you up to do other things and it adds up over the course of an entire fight.

It is "worthless" because it isn't doing anything. Most cases you are capped HP and never get the full benefit unless fighting a specific damaging mob, like missing stun on Hedjedjet and eating hell scissors etc. Even then, you would be overcapping HP with cures and making that 50~100 hp "worthless". You act as if the 2 seconds are wasted every single time apoc procs...
 Carbuncle.Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2011-06-04 17:39:04  
I'm glad you brought Hedjedjet up actually because it's a good example of what I am talking about. If you miss a stun on Hell Scissors it can potentially drop your HP to like 5, even if you have Cureskin on. If poison aura is up, you have only a split second to get the cure in or your tank is going to die, which is why curing preemptively is so important. But if I try to cure preemptively in this case and an instant cast procs, the tank will already be dead by the time I recover and cast another cure.
[+]
 Shiva.Aaralyn
サーバ: Shiva
user: Aaralyn
By Shiva.Aaralyn 2011-06-04 17:39:19  
Iirc, minikin is only -20 enm, and in my gear I have -16, then -4 in merits. So 10 away from cap. I would rather be over than under.

But the enmity is not what attracts me to it. The mind is. The enmity and mp is just a bonus.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-04 17:42:03  
The mnd is a waste lol.

Carbuncle.Nezea said:
I'm glad you brought Hedjedjet up actually because it's a good example of what I am talking about. If you miss a stun on Hell Scissors it can potentially drop your HP to like 5, even if you have Cureskin on. If poison aura is up, you have only a split second to get the cure in or your tank is going to die, which is why curing preemptively is so important. But if I try to cure preemptively in this case and an instant cast procs, the tank will already be dead by the time I recover and cast another cure.

The difference between an insta cast and a whm with adequate -cure casting time gear is very minimal. It goes off extremely quickly, just like insta cast.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2011-06-04 17:44:43  
Leviathan.Draylo said:
The mnd is a waste lol.

Carbuncle.Nezea said:

The difference between an insta cast and a whm with adequate -cure casting time gear is very minimal. It goes off extremely quickly, just like insta cast.

Yes, it's true that it is a small difference, but the difference is enough in this case. An instant cast can't do anything preemptively. And you can't be certain whether or not it will activate on Hell Scissors or not. So what do you do? If you try to cure preemptively and quick cast goes off you're screwed. If you don't try to cure preemptively and quick cast doesn't go off you're also screwed. If you don't try to cure preemptively and quick cast does go off then you're incredibly lucky. I'd rather rely on my preemptive cures, without the risk of sabotage via Atma of Apocalypse, than on luck.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-04 17:47:20  
No, you time the cast and they will both be the same.
 Carbuncle.Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2011-06-04 17:48:46  
It's not the same. We are talking about split seconds here. The difference between an instant cure and a cure with fast cast gear is small, but it's not split seconds.
 Shiva.Aaralyn
By Shiva.Aaralyn 2011-06-04 17:48:46  
The mind does more for me over time than instant cast does over all.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-04 17:56:52  
Carbuncle.Nezea said:
It's not the same. We are talking about split seconds here. The difference between an instant cure and a cure with fast cast gear is small, but it's not split seconds.

No it will be the same.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-04 17:57:19  
Shiva.Aaralyn said:

Highly doubtful, what is the extra MND doing when you are overcapping HP...
 Odin.Sheelay
サーバ: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-06-04 17:57:52  
Ragnarok.Kogenta said:
Don't know if was mentiones already, but now zenith pumps can be augmented with up to +4% cure potency, that opens new prospectives to non-roundelearring holders to cap cure potency with full af3+2.

Can't cap cure potency with full AF3+2 if it requires wearing zenith pumps.

The main drawback with AoA Atma is, if you are a WHM who relies on gear swaps to switch from Fast Cast / -Cure casting time (which is something any good WHM should be doing) to Cure Potency (or ANY other spell that relies on specific gear to be boosted), the eventual Quick cast proc will nullify all attempts at swapping to the Cure Potency gear, therefore resulting in a weaker Cure, with weaker stoneskin.

Sure, who cares about MP and all, but frankly, I'd rather do the things right and make sure when I cast a Cure it's for the Max I can possibly achieve, while still casting it fast enough for the difference between FC and Quick cast to be irrelevant.
 Carbuncle.Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2011-06-04 18:01:48  
Leviathan.Draylo said:
Carbuncle.Nezea said:

No it will be the same.

Stating things without justification doesn't make them true. It's clearly not the same and you know it.
 Odin.Sheelay
サーバ: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-06-04 18:03:04  
Btw, is it really necessary to argue about something like this over a game that is made for gear swaps?

If Casting in FC gear is such a futile concern, then why don't we see melees WSing in TP gear or offensive mages casting in Refresh/Idle gear? It's all about topping your performances over the job.

Relying on something that will ease the pain of actually playing the job right is just being lazy, imho.
 Shiva.Aaralyn
By Shiva.Aaralyn 2011-06-04 18:14:33  
Leviathan.Draylo said:
Shiva.Aaralyn said:

Highly doubtful, what is the extra MND doing when you are overcapping HP...

I am not over capping hp. I do not rely on only cure 5 and 6. I use 4 if someone is almost in yellow, and I still use 3 to keep people topped off.

If an nm is readying a tp move that will hurt, I will cast cure 5 or 6, depending. If someone else is getting wrecked, I will cast cure 6, 5 if 6 is not up,so that they have stoneskin while I cast a na or another cure on someone else.

5 and 6 are my preemtive cures. More often than not they cure to their full potential.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-04 18:26:01  
Using cure3/4 is a waste unless you are slowed and can't spam 5/6. 0 reason to not use 5/6 considering cureskin and unlimited MP.
 Shiva.Aaralyn
By Shiva.Aaralyn 2011-06-04 18:49:11  
Leviathan.Draylo said:
Using cure3/4 is a waste unless you are slowed and can't spam 5/6. 0 reason to not use 5/6 considering cureskin and unlimited MP.

Ah. Now I see why you like the instant cast.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-04 18:51:45  
Shiva.Aaralyn said:
Leviathan.Draylo said:

Ah. Now I see why you like the instant cast.

?
 Shiva.Aaralyn
By Shiva.Aaralyn 2011-06-04 18:54:10  
Limiting yourself to only 2 cures.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-04 18:55:20  
Shiva.Aaralyn said:
Limiting yourself to only 2 cures.

Bosses only need two,

[+]
 Leviathan.Niniann
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-06-04 19:21:33  
Holy, what on earth happened here. First off, barspell should NOT be cast in blessed body assuming you have AF3+2, AF3+2 grants a better bonus in Afflatus Solace regardless of the nullify thingy proccing. So AF3+2 Head/Body/Hands/Feet and Relic Legs, and an assortment of Beneficius and enhancing gear.

As for Atma.... hoo boy.

Apoc is nice if you're planning for death, or if you need insta-casts for things like Cursna or Stun. If you're spamming Cursna chances are instacast will proc at least once, saving you some trouble with the recast timer. I find I hardly die in Abyssea, so needing instant re-raise is kind-of not an issue for me, but whatever.

Atmas *I* personally like using if I don't need regain or whatever are MM/Ambition/Perfect Attendance. I spam Cure VI(V if VI isn't up) whenever my cureskin wears out, and the mass amount of refresh I'm receiving makes this possible. With only two Refresh atma you'll start running a bit low if you're literally spamming(and running back-to-back NMs), it's fine if you're not.

As Draylo stated, the extra HP cured from say Allure isn't doing jack squat anyway. Really, most of the things in this game are just for e-peen, but that's another topic for another day. Max MP pool doesn't do jack squat, and the -ENM shouldn't be an issue since you should be using -ENM gear if you're actually having -ENM issues since you can get -50 with just gear, merits and MM(while still retaining cure potency). Here's where the BUT WHAT ABOUT CURING IN MND GEAR QQQQQ.... that's where the "50 extra MP cured doesn't matter" comes to play.

Edit: Random edits because I think faster than I type :x