A little story from my time as a mage.

Exp on puks

THF pulls and runs back

and the pld starts with:
Flash and voke

(nice standard start)

a DD will started a fight with:
Souleater, last resort, berserk, guillotine

Short of 2hr the pld will not be able to hold that.

Then, the DD starts going on about how he is such an amazing DD.

After 20 seconds of the mage bombing cures on the DD he dies (after all hes a DD not a tank and cant take the dmg)

Then once he is dead, he turns to blame the mage and tank for being rubbish and how he is too good for the party.

This is only 1 example of when the DD was just doing it wrong. And it happens all too often.

I get it, DD get off on making big numbers (I do too on my blm) but they don't seem happy with a big ws, they need to be able to say in LS chat "I pulled hate off a Sentinel PLD" as if that's some measure of being good a what you do.

If a mage pulls hate from over curing/nuking they are soon told to stop it out or GTFO, but DDs seem to think it is their right/duty to screw the party up for every one else (by dying or just sucking up all the MP).

I know DDs (not personally) that have no tank jobs, but have enmity merits, just so they can look good by pulling hate.

In Burn parties, I expect and demand that my DDs go all out as it minimizes the MP I have to spent.

In a normal party, with a tank were fights take 1-3mins I expect some sort of control.

*a completely biased rant by a mage*
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2009-03-30 16:27:39  
Any decent player will recognize a DD for their ability to keep on top of the parses and still let the tank tank. Granted its harder for a PLD to hold hate for merit pts these days compared to bibiki bay or Ru' avitau but any DD who isnt compensating for something should be able to put up high DoT WITHOUT tanking full time.

Seigan, shadows, super jump, Trick attack or even turning away. If you pull hate and gobble mage mp youre slowing my exp/hour just as bad as if you were wearing crap gear.
 Asura.Yotevol
サーバ: Asura
user: Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-03-30 16:30:32  
Argettio said:

Exp on puks

THF pulls and runs back

and the pld starts with:
Flash and voke

(nice standard start)

a DD will started a fight with:
Souleater, last resort, berserk, guillotine

Short of 2hr the pld will not be able to hold that.

Then, the DD starts going on about how he is such an amazing DD.

After 20 seconds of the mage bombing cures on the DD he dies (after all hes a DD not a tank and cant take the dmg)

Then once he is dead, he turns to blame the mage and tank for being rubbish and how he is too good for the party.

This is only 1 example of when the DD was just doing it wrong. And it happens all too often.

I get it, DD get off on making big numbers (I do too on my blm) but they don't seem happy with a big ws, they need to be able to say in LS chat "I pulled hate off a Sentinel PLD" as if that's some measure of being good a what you do.

If a mage pulls hate from over curing/nuking they are soon told to stop it out or GTFO, but DDs seem to think it is their right/duty to screw the party up for every one else (by dying or just sucking up all the MP).

I know DDs (not personally) that have no tank jobs, but have enmity merits, just so they can look good by pulling hate.

*a completely unbiased rant by a mage*

Freakin awesome post! <3

I loved seeing then do all that stuff, then running behind the PLD, using SATA Dancing Edge and producing a skillchain.
Then, all I need to do is Collaberator and the hate is right back on the PLD.

But, even after that impressive feat of hate control by a THF, the DRK is like:
"Man, THFs aren't DD, they are useless. We should replace him with a SAM!"

/sigh
I know I speak for many THFs out there, I'm with you my brothers!

~Yote
 Kujata.Argettio
サーバ: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-03-30 16:39:39  
Yotevol said:
Argettio said:

Stuff here

Freakin awesome post! <3

I loved seeing then do all that stuff, then running behind the PLD, using SATA Dancing Edge and producing a skillchain.

/sigh

~Yote

True, a good THF can save the situation, but IMO it should have never arose. Sure as a DD use the fact your THF (if there is one) can take some of your hate, but that's not a licence to be a fool.

Im glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way
サーバ: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-30 16:47:05  
Nightfyre said:
This is why I think everyone should be required to play as a tank, a healer, and a DD under demanding circumstances at some point. Pissed me off no end when I was leveling WHM and somebody died because the puller ignored my "No MP!" calls. Look out for your fellow party members and they'll look out for you.

I agree. I mean, main healing ain't for everyone, but it really is a pretty thankless position in a party. Come to think about it, I don't think I've ever once been thanked for keeping an idiot alive that just had to show how much damage they can deal. But if they die, holy ***...which is why I think they should try it sometime, just to see what it's like...they'll change their tune.

Aramina said:
I will take a 15k/hr merit party that is fun and mellow over a 20k/hr merit party where people are wanting to kill each other and crap like that.

Same here, for parties in general. People that have never actually main healed a higher level party don't realize that the job, in and of itself, is inherently stressful. We're constantly watching everyone's HP and dumping cures, watching for buffs to wear so we can reapply, watching for enfeebles to wear on the mob so we can reapply, watching our own MP to make sure we've still got that "emergency reserve" if it's needed, etc. It's pretty involved.

I'm not saying we're BRDs or anything (that job's waaaaaay too busy for my tastes), but give us a break. DDing, except in certain circumstances (which I give DD's all the credit in the world for), ain't life or death. Healing the group most certainly is...
 Ragnarok.Anye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-30 18:13:23  
Argettio said:
Yotevol said:
Argettio said:

Stuff here

Freakin awesome post! <3

/sigh

~Yote

True, a good THF can save the situation, but IMO it should have never arose. Sure as a DD use the fact your THF (if there is one) can take some of your hate, but that's not a licence to be a fool.

Im glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way

I love THFs in parties, and I love duoing with my THF friend :D It's uber fun! In EXP situations, I can have and have had a party with RDM, SAM, SAM, SAM, PLD, THF.

Even as a PLD main, I know how awesome it is to deal a lot of damage. It's even better if you can deal a ton of damage without getting hit, and without letting the mage lose unnecessary MP. :)
 Lakshmi.Wardens
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-03-30 20:44:58  
Frobeus said:
Trystan said:
/nin really offers nothing to a mnk or sam imo ^^. Besides, its a party environment, help the tank keep hate, not just help yourself stay alive long when he loses it lol.

Fail

*cough* Frobeus fails.
Trystan wins ;D

But idk what kinda PLDs you guys have been getting. As long as nobody ws's at the very beginning of the fight (unless i use sentinal then they can) then I'm not losing hate as PLD. Orrr if they do 1k+ damage before the mob is at 50% then it can also get kinda tricky but thats what flash and cover are for. I did notice a PLD the other day who couldn't hold hate if I payed him though >.> i was a DRG, and even with high jump and super jump he was still having trouble holding hate even if i wasn't using a ws.
 Asura.Slamm
サーバ: Asura
user: Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-04-02 11:44:02  
rly don't need a tank at that level.

just get a healer who doesn't suck 2brd and 3 dd and kill ***before mobs can do enough dmg
 Unicorn.Excesspain
サーバ: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-04-02 14:22:06  
Yotevol said:

Freakin awesome post! <3

/sigh

~Yote

I have saved one of my LS friends (Very well geared SAM with an ego) up in sky numerous times with this method on my THF. I told him to calm down so I didn't have to do this everytime Collaborator was up and he wouldn't listen. He died 4 times after that and stopped. All they need is a little sense beat into them, literally, and they will learn.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-04-02 14:30:11  
Wardens said:
Frobeus said:
Trystan said:
/nin really offers nothing to a mnk or sam imo ^^. Besides, its a party environment, help the tank keep hate, not just help yourself stay alive long when he loses it lol.

Fail

*cough* Frobeus fails.
Trystan wins ;D

But idk what kinda PLDs you guys have been getting. As long as nobody ws's at the very beginning of the fight (unless i use sentinal then they can) then I'm not losing hate as PLD. Orrr if they do 1k+ damage before the mob is at 50% then it can also get kinda tricky but thats what flash and cover are for. I did notice a PLD the other day who couldn't hold hate if I payed him though >.> i was a DRG, and even with high jump and super jump he was still having trouble holding hate even if i wasn't using a ws.

User submitted image
サーバ: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-02 14:34:24  
Anye said:
I love THFs in parties, and I love duoing with my THF friend :D

Same here! We duo THF/NIN and DNC/NIN and it's works out perfect...he's tanking most of the time, and in the off chance he's taking a beating, a few Curing Waltz's or Animated Flourish out of me generally get's it off of him long enough to get shadows up, and which point he Collaborator's and/or WS's and get's hate right back. We bounce hate back and forth pretty effortlessly, and we literally never have to stop...plus having TH is *** awesome. ^^

I really don't understand why THF isn't more popular. Being able to manipulate hate is such a nice thing to have in a group. Collaborator has saved my *** many times now. ^^