users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Another Friendly Reminder
Another Friendly Reminder
 Ragnarok.Psyence
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-03-29 11:11:49  
User ratings systems usually never work, simply because they allow negativity to be used as a tool to repress unpopular ideas (as stated in previous posts). But if a ratings system only allowed your peers to rate you up, they'd simply use it when they feel you deserve it (what some negative people would call being a "suck up" except it would be anonymous). It would also encourage every douche to stop being one, just for the sake of getting some recognition. It would also NOT provide any encouragement if one decides to be an *** to everyone without stating logical reasons.

A rating system should periodically and automatically rate you down in a curve that gradually slows down as you stop getting rated up. So while you work on getting people to rate you up, you know that if they don't, you'll slowly become like everyone else on this earth (forgotten) and you won't be allowed to complain about it, since it's normal. Sure, this would allow people to be douches, but generally wouldn't encourage them. Instead, it would encourage the opposite and would make you feel good about doing something positive (rating Bart up, etc.).

It's hard to build a great reputation but it shouldn't be hard to build at least some general respect. Otherwise, where's the incentive in even trying?

About the advertisement. As I am typing this, I am delighted to see one from a large Canadian telephone company called Bell. While I still don't want their 5.95$ long distance plan, it's certainly better than being offered a million gil for 50$ by morons who don't care about my server's economy. Good work, people managing this site! I'm rating you up.

Oh, and what does "douchebag" mean anyway? In French, "douche" means "shower" so I'm not sure I get it. Why would anyone be called something that has to do with an imaginary bathroom accesory? Showers do not have bags, as far as I know. And no anglophone I ever asked seemed to understand where the heck this expression comes from. Help?
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-29 11:19:32  
The problem with the system Wooooooooo suggested is people like Antigone vs people who's names I won't mention. Antigone only has 29 posts, so probably wouldn't fill the criteria, yet not once have I seen her act like a douche, and all her posts have been well thought out and unbiased. There are actually quite a few people around these forums in that situation. Then you look at the people I won't name, who are absolute *** idiots no in every second post, but they post a lot so they're allowed to rate. There's no automated way of determining the difference between a good poster and a dumbass. I would actually like to see the rating system on a trial, to see how much the rate down band-wagon does get jumped on.

Otherwise the best solution I think would be to make a couple of the regular members moderators. I already suggested Bart, because he seems to read a lot, even if he doesn't post much, and his posts are always unbiased. Bart's suggestion of Art is the same, as well as Saiya, Yote, Anye, Alyria. There're are quite a few people I'd trust to moderate fairly, and they don't need to do anything more than what they do already, since they're already reading. I'd also nominate Wooooo, but I think there'd be people that would disagree with that for some reason.
サーバ: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-29 11:24:40  
Psyence said:
Oh, and what does "douchebag" mean anyway? In French, "douche" means "shower" so I'm not sure I get it. Why would anyone be called something that has to do with an imaginary bathroom accesory? Showers do not have bags, as far as I know. And no anglophone I ever asked seemed to understand where the heck this expression comes from. Anyone able/willing to help?

Here's the wiki page about the common english usage of the word "douche".
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-29 11:25:12  
Psyence said:
User ratings systems usually never work, simply because they allow negativity to be used as a tool to repress unpopular ideas (as stated in previous posts). But if a ratings system only allowed your peers to rate you up, they'd simply use if when they feel you deserve it (what some negative people would call being a "suck up" except it would be anonymous). It would also encourage every douche to stop being one, just for the sake of getting some recognition. It would also NOT provide any encouragement if one decides to be an *** to everyone without stating logical reasons.

A rating system should periodically and automatically rate you down in a curve that gradually slows down as you stop getting rated up. So while you work on getting people to rate you up, you know that if they don't, you'll slowly become like everyone else on this earth (forgotten) and you won't be allowed to complain about it, since it's normal. Sure, this would allow people to be douches, but generally wouldn't encourage them. Instead, it would encourage the opposite and would make you feel good about doing something positive (rating Bart up, etc.).

It's hard to build a great reputation but it shouldn't be hard to build at least some general respect. Otherwise, where's the incentive in even trying?

About the advertisement. As I am typing this, I am delighted to see one from a large Canadian telephone company called Bell. While I still don't want their 5.95$ long distance plan, it's certainly better than being offered a million gil for 50$ by morons who don't care about my server's economy. Good work, people managing this site! I'm rating you up.

Oh, and what does "douchebag" mean anyway? In French, "douche" means "shower" so I'm not sure I get it. Why would anyone be called something that has to do with an imaginary bathroom accesory? Showers do not have bags, as far as I know. And no anglophone I ever asked seemed to understand where the heck this expression comes from. Help?

That's a really good idea actually :o

Also, there's such thing called a bush shower in Aussie, it's basically a black bag that you fill with water, and the sun heats it up, then you hang it from a tree and open the holes in it or something to use it as a shower. So maybe calling someone a douchbag means they're a black bag of hot water? Racist? sure. Offensive? not really...
 Ragnarok.Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-03-29 11:28:09  
Blazza said:
There's no automated way of determining the difference between a good poster and a dumbass.

Exactly, and as my post says, a dumbass should not be identified by a ratings system. He should be ignored by it. You don't need a number next to his name to decide whether or not he's a dumbass to you. Right? And he certainly won't want to become a better person after he got rated *DUMBASS* by everyone.

Thinking that a dumbass would make any effort to improve after being rated down by the majority is naive at best. 99% of the time, he'll just build more anger towards everyone for rejecting him and turn worse.
 Asura.Ludoggy
サーバ: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-03-29 11:34:25  
If I had a ratting of -20 or some crap It'd be my goal to make it go up!
 Ragnarok.Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-03-29 11:34:58  
Blazza said:
Also, there's such thing called a bush shower in Aussie, it's basically a black bag that you fill with water, and the sun heats it up, then you hang it from a tree and open the holes in it or something to use it as a shower. So maybe calling someone a douchbag means they're a black bag of hot water? Racist? sure. Offensive? not really...

Not only did I learn what douchebag means, I have learned an entirely new related term: false friend

Thanks ^^

Ludoggy said:

This world needs more people like you and less teenagers who commit suicide or mass murder because some random girl rejected them.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-29 12:01:53  
Ludoggy said:

Yeah but you're not a douchebag, that's the difference
サーバ: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-29 12:17:46  
Blazza said:
Ludoggy said:

Yes, true douchebags tend to look at a -20 score and try figure out ways to make it go lower. I've never understood why people want the reputation of being a dickface. Like it's some kind of achievment to be universally reviled or something...
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-29 12:21:40  
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Blazza said:
Ludoggy said:

Yes, true douchebags tend to look at a -20 score and try figure out ways to make it go lower. I've never understood why people want the reputation of being a dickface. Like it's some kind of achievment to be universally reviled or something...

There's no such thing as bad publicity. As long as they're well known, they don't care if it's for being a ***.

Edited spelling, time for bed if I'm *** up easy words.
 Asura.Reublucian
user:
By Asura.Reublucian 2009-03-29 12:59:43
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Bungie said:
Reublucian said:
[quote=Epics]most of the people posting here were the main ones fueling the fire. there is really nothing wrong with people arguing, i admit eventually it gets lame but i say let the fire burn. acting like were all sheltered little kids who gasp at the word *** is just boring.

Aren't you the guy who was insulting people really carelessly for evidently no reason at all yesterday?

what is the point of calling him out like that? get him started again and turn this thread into what iut was made to prevent?

Uhh obviously cookies and milk are you joking?
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-29 17:09:07  
I am against the rating system, because most people on this thread will rate me down at the very start of the program.

Why?

Because I don't conform to the popular belief.
Because I like to view my own opinions.
Because I'm just not liked at all.

I know I'm not liked, thats who I am. But, to be not liked indiscrimulately (or however you spell it) is not fair for me.

I'm against the rating system 110%
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-03-29 17:13:27  
Korpg said:
I am against the rating system, because most people on this thread will rate me down at the very start of the program.

Why?

Because I don't conform to the popular belief.
Because I like to view my own opinions.
Because I'm just not liked at all.

I know I'm not liked, thats who I am. But, to be not liked indiscrimulately (or however you spell it) is not fair for me.

I'm against the rating system 110%

So you are only against it since its only going to hurt you? Greddy.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-29 17:25:44  
Ludoggy said:
So you are only against it since its only going to hurt you? Greddy.

Why else would I be against it?

If it doesn't hurt me at all, then I wouldn't care.

But since that isn't the case, I'm kindof screwed....
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-03-29 17:27:40  
I don't think everyone would block you or anything. Everyone comes to the forums to see the drama and with out you half of it is gone and then it gets boring.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-29 17:30:47  
Ludoggy said:
I don't think everyone would block you or anything. Everyone comes to the forums to see the drama and with out you half of it is gone and then it gets boring.

Would you believe me if I said I don't cause even 90% of the drama that is associated with me? I just happen to be there, and most of the time, it happens to be about me vs somebody else?
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-03-29 17:36:10  
Korpg said:
Ludoggy said:

Would you believe me if I said I don't cause even 90% of the drama that is associated with me? I just happen to be there, and most of the time, it happens to be about me vs somebody else?

/no
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-29 17:39:21  
To be honest, I'm not surprised.

Its like being accused of robbing a store without evidence, except yours saying you were in XXX place at the time of the robbery.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-03-29 17:41:39  
You've definitely antagonised a few people.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-29 17:43:25  
Ludoggy said:
You've definitely antagonised a few people.

By sharing different views of the world than them? How is that fair?
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-29 17:51:29  
Take it to another thread, guys. Let this thread serve it's purpose.
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
サーバ: Seraph
user: Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2009-03-29 18:27:36  
I thought this had a thread, Korpg, Wooooodum, vs some other peeps i forgot.
 Ragnarok.Anye
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-29 18:42:06  
Rerail this thread, please. Regarding the rating idea, it doesn't matter whether or not you HAVE opposing opinions, it's how you TREAT those with opposing opinions.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-29 18:44:41  
I would totally rate you down, Anye. I mean, come on. You're just so hot it's unfair!
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
サーバ: Seraph
user: Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2009-03-29 18:46:40  
Rating down posts like rating down comments on items... sounds tasty, i think im sitting on -30000 anyway
 Ifrit.Haseyo
サーバ: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-03-29 18:50:13

I rate any amusing post down. This site is for serious stuff only.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-29 19:10:43  
Haseyo said:
I rate any amusing post down. This site is for serious stuff only.

Your face!
 Ifrit.Haseyo
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-03-29 19:16:50

Rated down.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-29 19:23:06  
But... but... I was being serious! ;;
 Ifrit.Haseyo
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-03-29 19:24:48

Rated down again. You really like pushing buttons don't you?