Abyssea, Moon Phases, And Drops.

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Endgame » Abyssea » Abyssea, Moon phases, and drops.
Abyssea, Moon phases, and drops.
 Bahamut.Zorander
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-04-04 10:40:45  
When things can't be explained..the scape goat is always the moon and its phases.
[+]
 Odin.Venomous
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Venomous 2011-04-04 10:43:19  
Bahamut.Zorander said:
When things can't be explained..a kitteh dies.
**Fixed**

Have a good day peoples I'm off to work.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-04-04 10:46:49  
Odin.Venomous said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
**Fixed** Have a good day peoples I'm off to work.
Perfect. There are far far to many cats in the world.
[+]
By Serj 2011-04-04 10:49:15  
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Odin.Venomous said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
**Fixed** Have a good day peoples I'm off to work.
Perfect. There are far far to many cats in the world.

T_T
[+]
 Sylph.Grievor
サーバ: Sylph
user: Grievor
By Sylph.Grievor 2011-04-04 11:44:00  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Sylph.Grievor said:
While some dont believe much into it, others do, the moon phases are there for SOME reason arent they? if they had no purpose, then why have them? to make us paranoid? The question isnt if it affects it, the real question is in abyssea (where we all know more often than not the rules are different) what and how much is affected (if anything moreso than outside abyssea) is affected, and that is what i propose we find out. Its not unrealistic to think it has a chance to do so, again seals for one job favored one day then the next nearly non-existant. We all have seen strange things, the question is if there is any actual possibility of this being somthing drasticly overlooked because of the closeminded players not testing it cause it wasnt that way before. Like i said, i cant stop you from dissagreeing, this is here for those that are interested and feel there may be some possibility of this being true. Edit: Also thankyou venomous for contributing, this is what im getting at, its possible that during specific phases X item from (nm) is more favorible to drop than Y item. And before you ask, im not talking about X's Knife or Y's Scythe.
You're an idiot. Moon phases affect various quests, NMs, and weapons. We've had how many years to test moon phase data on crafting/drops with absolutely no concrete data supporting day/moon theories? Jaerik made a great post on this topic a while back, somebody should dig that up. Basically said players have a tendency to vastly overestimate the complexity of implemented systems.

Oh im sorry, do you dictate the rules of abyssea? is this the same director that ran final fantasy xi in the past? If neither of these questions can be answered yes then you have no grounds to call me an idiot, just because somthing was one way in a completely different part of the game doesnt mean it has to be in all parts of the game. Your narrowminded ignorance has shown, now that im done picking that apart, i am not saying that moon phase does affect anything, i am saying the possability may exist and be stronger in abyssea, and i would like to test this. So if you wanna keep thinking theres no chance of it go ahead, im not blaiming the moon for me not getting my seals, im thinking there may be a chance to learn more than to sit there sucking on our thumb while everyone else does the work and you can just dissagree with it, i plan to record my results as i play.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-04-04 11:47:28  
From the developer's side of things, there is no reason to make the moon phase change drop rates. That's additional coding that serves no real purpose.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-04-04 11:51:36  
Obviously you need to be facing SW if the mob is earth based for the best skillupdrop rate.
[+]
 Sylph.Grievor
By Sylph.Grievor 2011-04-04 11:56:02  
That is true that it is additional coding, however abyssea was long in the making, and you cant say for certain that the step wasnt taken, sides i dont know the coding used in the software, it could use simple global variables to check moonphase and raise the probability of dropping.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-04-04 12:00:10  
Sylph.Grievor said:
you have no grounds to call me an idiot

i'd say the readily apparent 30ish iq discrepancy gives him some pretty solid grounds
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-04-04 12:03:03  
p.s.

Lakishmi.Jaerik said:
The only commentary I can add to the crafting theories is my experience as an MMO developer, and that is this cardinal rule:

It's a well-proven fact that it is very easy for a computer program to read a list of numbers and tell you if the numbers are truly random, or if it was a "random" list generated by a human. Why? Because it's a verified facet of human psychology: human brains are pre-wired to detect patterns, even when those patterns do not exist. Witness how easily we find faces in things like clouds, or lumpy mounds of dirt on Mars.

Human psychology believes that "random" and "pattern" are mutually exclusive concepts. As such, lists of random numbers generated by humans are very easy to detect because they contain no patterns or streaks. They are patterned in their forced randomness. Truly randomly generated lists by nature contain "streaks" -- in this case, things like 8 HQ's in a row, or 8 breaks in a row. The presence of streaks, like six C's in a row on a multiple choice test, is usually proof that the list is truly random and not merely an attempt at randomness by a human.

Unfortunately, humans don't understand this concept very well. They are hard-wired to detect streaks and patterns and attempt to figure out why. As such, 6 HQ's in a row will provoke a conscious attempt to figure out why it happened -- same with breaks -- on the assumption that there must be a reason because obviously there's a pattern here. Testimonials from other people that they get more HQ's when facing a certain direction or at a certain moon phase only serve to heighten people's assurance that these are not random streaks but pre-coded parts of the crafting system, despite the fact that paradoxically, the presence of these testimonials and streaks actually serves as proof that the system is purely random anyway.

Once someone has decided that these things all matter, psychological Confirmation Bias tends to make them pay more attention to the streaks that confirm their bias while mentally discounting examples in the other direction as unimportant or not representative of the larger trial set. They will see a streak of 4 HQ's in a row as a significant event worthy of attention, but the streak of 20 NQ's immediately afterwards is discounted, because it's believed to be unimportant due to the (flawed) sense of relative probability in the subject's mind. Just look at Gambler's Fallacy and similar problems with humans' concept of probability. (Gambler's Fallacy in particular is rampant in online games, especially for HNM drops at high level.)

As a developer, over the years, I've encountered this many times. The fairest and easiest to code/balance crafting systems are purely random. It is ludicrously difficult to code and QA balance test a crafting system that has 10+ independent variables. The amount of statistical analysis and design required to create a system like this, without exploits or without mathematical edge cases that break the system, would take an entire team years to develop, and every time you add a new item you would have to crunch the numbers again to ensure you're not introducing a factor that will break the system balance, making it take weeks to add a new crafting item instead of hours.

Ironically, however, the truly random systems, which are easiest to code, will end up being the systems that players decide have the most inherent, measurable factors. They see random systems and invent reams of material about how they are not truly random, and as a result, they often attribute godly levels of design and programming talent to the team in the process. Plus, it invests in them a sense of being on the "inside" and understanding how the game works, which tends to keep them as subscribers longer. It's a win-win, proving that in the end, purely random seeded systems based on one or two small independent variables like skill level are ideal for MMO development, and FF11 is no different.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: zeldageek
By Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek 2011-04-04 12:03:50  
I've proced TH on a killshot.
Nuts to the moon crap though.
[+]
 Sylph.Grievor
By Sylph.Grievor 2011-04-04 12:17:23  
While your secont post being a quote over people buying into somthing just to explain somthing is valid, your inflamitory post before it shows your own stance, that due to popular belief, old testing, which once again may not be relevant anymore, as this is a game, not reality and as such the mechanics can be changed on a whim, there is no evidance for or against moon phases, spinning the camera while crafting or even crossing your fingers. Im not saying there IS any such proven mechanics behind this, and all your frowning, or following of popular belief will not change that. What i am looking for be it coincidental or not is data, to approach this scientifically, because you will learn this or should know this, public opinion doesnt equil fact, but we can go on living with your flat earth and the sun revolving around it mindset, or we can think outside the box. Thankyou for your time, your opinion and statement is noted, i respectfully dissagree, have a nice day.

Edit:
Oh and as to that comment about programing somthing to be random, Last i checked it is impossible for any computer to be truely random, it can only imitate a random concept based on coding algorithms pre-loaded into it, and while no patern may exist traditionally, it is impossible to truely be random. Only nature in select instances can provide randomness, and as such have gone off game to take a quote about this.

"I assume because it is never an infinite set of variables to choose from. If it were,the computer would never decide,thereby causing an infinite loop(instance where you must use ctrl+alt+del.). For example in VB.net when setting random numbers using the RAN command you are setting random numbers but within a certain frame of numbers,its not infinite in the way infinite is normally percieved."

There you have it, the comment about being truely random and having anything to do with computers has been disproven. Move along now.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-04-04 12:28:08  
People make wild speculations that X affects Y in FFXI without a shred of proof. People get trolled. Welcome to a FFXI forum.

What you need to do is gather your data, then post your results. Making threads like this is just asking to be trolled.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kirana
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-04-04 12:56:28  
The problem is that no amount of data you gather will prove this hypothesis. It may support the possibility, but never prove. The only way to prove this is to go into the actual coding of the game and check it.

tl;dr you're wasting your time.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Grievor
By Sylph.Grievor 2011-04-04 13:01:54  
Yes i know it cant be proven, im not trying to prove it persay, but to see if there is atleast some trend that is duplicatible consistantly, that while not proof in itself is still a big step toward either learning how the drop system for abyssea (outside triggering weaknesses and treasure hunter/bounty shot) may work, using the tools we are given rather than just dismissing a part of the game as potentially beneficial to understand, its complicated, im just trying to see if somthing can be learned even if its all coincidence, it wont remain such if it can be duplicated on a regular basis.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-04-04 13:33:41  
Sylph.Grievor said:
While your secont post being a quote over people buying into somthing just to explain somthing is valid, your inflamitory post before it shows your own stance, that due to popular belief, old testing, which once again may not be relevant anymore, as this is a game, not reality and as such the mechanics can be changed on a whim, there is no evidance for or against moon phases, spinning the camera while crafting or even crossing your fingers. Im not saying there IS any such proven mechanics behind this, and all your frowning, or following of popular belief will not change that. What i am looking for be it coincidental or not is data, to approach this scientifically, because you will learn this or should know this, public opinion doesnt equil fact, but we can go on living with your flat earth and the sun revolving around it mindset, or we can think outside the box. Thankyou for your time, your opinion and statement is noted, i respectfully dissagree, have a nice day.

Edit:
Oh and as to that comment about programing somthing to be random, Last i checked it is impossible for any computer to be truely random, it can only imitate a random concept based on coding algorithms pre-loaded into it, and while no patern may exist traditionally, it is impossible to truely be random. Only nature in select instances can provide randomness, and as such have gone off game to take a quote about this.

"I assume because it is never an infinite set of variables to choose from. If it were,the computer would never decide,thereby causing an infinite loop(instance where you must use ctrl+alt+del.). For example in VB.net when setting random numbers using the RAN command you are setting random numbers but within a certain frame of numbers,its not infinite in the way infinite is normally percieved."

There you have it, the comment about being truely random and having anything to do with computers has been disproven. Move along now.

this guy is why we need forum sigs
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-04-04 13:39:30  
Phoenix.Kirana said:
The problem is that no amount of data you gather will prove this hypothesis. It may support the possibility, but never prove. The only way to prove this is to go into the actual coding of the game and check it.

You can't absolutely prove, but you can provide evidence suggesting a correlation or lack thereof.
 Sylph.Cossack
user: sandman16
By Sylph.Cossack 2011-04-04 14:09:20  
I proc'd supernova irradiance on glavoid the other night, my dogs head exploded and my neighbors wife ran over and blew me on the spot, moon phase was 77% waning.
By Tsuko 2011-04-04 14:11:19  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:

You can't absolutely prove, but you can provide evidence suggesting a correlation or lack thereof.

Gotta' love the whole, "you can't prove or disprove this, so their likelihood is on even footing" nonsense.
 Valefor.Endlesspath
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Endlesspath 2011-04-04 14:11:57  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Sylph.Grievor said:

Edit:

this guy is why we need forum sigs

O God, that men should put an enemy in their mouths to steal away their brains! that we should, with joy, pleasance, revel, and applause, transform ourselves into beasts! ~William Shakespeare, Othello
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2011-04-04 14:14:24  
Lakshmi.Fivestarplayer said:
...how do you check the moon phase?...

type /clock on if you were actually serious ~

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Zandra
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2011-04-04 14:29:07  
After running a Dynamis shell for 2 years, I can certainly testify that there are some moon phases that produce better results for my shell than others. I would characterize its effect as being minimal, but it is definitely there. Abyssea wouldn't be any different. In the end, the current phase of the moon isn't worth the postponement of the run or claim, the other factors that influence the drop rate (such as TH) are far more influential.
 Sylph.Grievor
By Sylph.Grievor 2011-04-04 14:29:35  
Right this has seemed to only attracted people whom have bitter intents and rather than wanting to be constructive, want only to perpetuate ignorance and lack of tollerance to new ideas, least i got a list of people to block. Sorry everyone who was constructive or atleast semi-accepting the possability, im ending my involvement in this. Childish behavior aside i will continue my research with friends and ls members in private. Have fun "trolling" every board with possibility of new discoveries.
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-04-04 14:30:06  
I think part of the equation factors in if the drop is for your or for someone else. When it's for someone else, there's like a 90% chance it's going to drop. When it's for you, 15% chance.

I can't prove it, but you can't disprove it.

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-04-04 14:36:53  
Sylph.Grievor said:
Have fun "trolling" every board with possibility of new discoveries.

What you are suggesting is not new, nor has anyone proven it up to this point in time. In order to prove something like this without asking SE outright, it would require a lot of testing done by a lot of people all working together. No such group, as far as I know, has ever given it a thorough go. However, many people have done small tests.
By Bluban 2011-04-04 15:14:21  
Moon phase has an effect on drops wether you want to believe or not.My Old Endgame LS was farming pop items off golems for sky and would spend 4 to 6 hours and be lucky to get 2 drops even with TH4 in party.I told them go on a full moon and as usually the "I KNOW EVRYTHING FFXI clowns" blew it off and got 2 again.Finally the 3rd time they tried farming on a full moon and farmed 6 in 4 hours.Another example is camping those NM rabbits in Ulger range for Rng weapon with 2 different Thieves both with TH4 no drop we killed it like 8 times,but next time during a full moon with Thf with only TH3 weapon dropped on only after 2 kills............believe what you want.