A plea to all players who level in Abyssea
 Sylph.Liltrouble
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-03-14 02:54:06  
Ashaaman said:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
Cerberus.Vaness said:
I actually lvl'd up 2 jobs in abyssea THF and PLD.But I had capped skill due to my other 8 jobs I had before abyssea.The only skill I had uncapped even pre abyssea was staff.
You're not gonna have capped eva on thf from your other 8 jobs... Or dagger, for that matter o.O
She has DNC... Try again.
Oh, Dnc's eva is higher than thf? damn, I'm goofed
[+]
 Phoenix.Degs
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2011-03-14 02:54:09  
Lakshmi.Chilzen said:
Is there a fancy new way to skillup Parrying yet? Been stuck at about 190 for too long, and mandies in the tree will proc it, but don't seem to grant me skill at a reliable rate.

A single .1 or so after 30-40 minutes of 5-6 Mouri on me or even 2-3 Korrigans makes me think either the skillup system, or myself, is doing something wrong there.
im not really sure if parry would apply to this too, but i would assume so.. the other day i was doin some solo in grauberg and just exploring a bit, trying out some dominion ops there... and i was fighting those fanus wyvrens (SP).. anyway, i was getting a ***ton of guard and evasion skill ups on them... not doing anything thing fancy, so i would guess you could get some good parry skillups there too
 Hades.Stefanos
サーバ: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2011-03-14 02:55:13  
Ashaaman said:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
Cerberus.Vaness said:
I actually lvl'd up 2 jobs in abyssea THF and PLD.But I had capped skill due to my other 8 jobs I had before abyssea.The only skill I had uncapped even pre abyssea was staff.
You're not gonna have capped eva on thf from your other 8 jobs... Or dagger, for that matter o.O

DNC has B+ skill on evasion, THF's is higher. Same applies to dagger skill.

Ok, people are faster than me at catching this stuff.
[+]
 Titan.Gaiarorshack
サーバ: Titan
user: MiavPigen
By Titan.Gaiarorshack 2011-03-14 02:55:50  
Ashaaman said:
You're talking about how amazing this afk place is... But it can take hours upon hours... I had a friend get maybe 150 skill ups in like, 8 hours. That sucks. I took dagger from 0 to the cap for 90 WAR(whatever it is) in 2 hours in Abyssea. Just pulling a bunch of weak mobs, defender -> retaliation -> have a friend spam cures on you, or a RDM friend cast phalanx II(or hell, /sch and aoe phalanx). Abyssea really is the place to skill up if we're being completely honest and efficient.

you are totally missign the point

doing you skill afk while you sleep, be at work, at a birthday, or other RL events = save you two hours of skillup that you can use for.. MORE skillups or learning the job. its not a fast way if you are sitting and staring at the screen but then you are doing it wrong.
its a way to get even more skillups when you are NOT at the pc/console
its not like o you say:" ok i do afk skillups so i do it no other way"

and please note my reply was to the idea of noob people going to tree for skillups.
You just confirmed that no reason to go to tree which was exactly my point
By Ashaaman 2011-03-14 02:56:06  
Hades.Stefanos said:
Ashaaman said:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
Cerberus.Vaness said:

DNC has B+ skill on evasion, THF's is higher. Same applies to dagger skill.

Yes, I'm aware THF is higher. But he was trying to make it seem like there is a huge difference... Which there really isn't... But she already posted, so whatever.
 Cerberus.Vaness
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-03-14 02:57:40  
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
Ashaaman said:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
Cerberus.Vaness said:
Oh, Dnc's eva is higher than thf? damn, I'm goofed
from ffxiclopedia.

Evasion
Thief 01) A+ 6 138 361
Ninja 02) A- 6 138 354
Dancer 03) B+ 5 132 341

Dagger
Thief 02) A- 6 138 354
Corsair 03) B+ 5 132 341
Dancer 04) B+ 5 132 341

My bad I wasnt capped. But by the time I melee'd 75 >90, I was capped.Does that make me a liar?If no, go throll some1 else, ty
[+]
By Ashaaman 2011-03-14 02:59:04  
Titan.Gaiarorshack said:
Ashaaman said:
You're talking about how amazing this afk place is... But it can take hours upon hours... I had a friend get maybe 150 skill ups in like, 8 hours. That sucks. I took dagger from 0 to the cap for 90 WAR(whatever it is) in 2 hours in Abyssea. Just pulling a bunch of weak mobs, defender -> retaliation -> have a friend spam cures on you, or a RDM friend cast phalanx II(or hell, /sch and aoe phalanx). Abyssea really is the place to skill up if we're being completely honest and efficient.

you are totally missign the point

doing you skill afk while you sleep, be at work, at a birthday, or other RL events = save you two hours of skillup that you can use for.. MORE skillups or learning the job. its not a fast way if you are sitting and staring at the screen but then you are doing it wrong.
its a way to get even more skillups when you are NOT at the pc/console
its not like o you say:" ok i do afk skillups so i do it no other way"

and please note my reply was to the idea of noob people going to tree for skillups.
You just confirmed that no reason to go to tree which was exactly my point

I don't know, maybe I'm just of the mentality that, when I play the game, I want to actually play it. Kind of like, feel that accomplishment of doing something. I mean, it's just skill ups, yeah. But you still get to have that feeling that you did it. If you just beat on a fort while afk, what are you learning? Also; you can go in a zone such as Altep, Attowha, Misa, etc... Get time built up, skill up a bit, when you get bored, go kill a NM, go skill up more. Plus you can skill up various weapons when you're not afk... I dunno, I'm not saying it's bad. It's just terribly slow, but if you don't mind doing it afk, more power to you.
 Bismarck.Eburo
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Stephano
By Bismarck.Eburo 2011-03-14 03:01:18  
As an experienced endgame Red Mage, I shudder at the sight of Lv85 Black Mages in Abyssea alliances (in particular Dominion Ops) fulltiming full Teal Saio Set, and nuking for about 1,000 Blizzard V with Elemental Seal, 400~ without.

My Blizzard I does even more than that... It's truly pitiful that alliance play allows such things to go unnoticed. Especially cruor parties, since most of the focus is on the MA's targeting speed for one, and only 1-2 people really needs to do good damage for those parties to work well.

There's someone in my social LS who brags on the daily that he has several (7+) Lv90 jobs, yet he asks stupid questions like, "What's a good pet to use for my Lv90 BST?"
 Asura.Tawhoya
サーバ: Asura
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2011-03-14 03:04:07  
To be honest, I love the thread. Please, please read up and do research. I'm a huge fan of it. I, personally, have leeched 2 jobs in Aby (DNC and THF), but have spent lots of time in and out of aby learning the jobs and functions. Although I admit to having trouble with a good DE build in gear and find that Atma suit Evisceration/DoT WAY better... but outside I still have trouble testing since I get close to the same dmg with close to 0 chr boost for DE. Either way, I'd like to thank the OP for this thread. GJ!
By richwood 2011-03-14 03:06:53  
Ashaaman said:

I don't know, maybe I'm just of the mentality that, when I play the game, I want to actually play it. Kind of like, feel that accomplishment of doing something. I mean, it's just skill ups, yeah. But you still get to have that feeling that you did it. If you just beat on a fort while afk, what are you learning? Also; you can go in a zone such as Altep, Attowha, Misa, etc... Get time built up, skill up a bit, when you get bored, go kill a NM, go skill up more. Plus you can skill up various weapons when you're not afk... I dunno, I'm not saying it's bad. It's just terribly slow, but if you don't mind doing it afk, more power to you.

That is all I am saying, I play the game to hang out with friends, and to actually play the game, Not sure I fully understand all the afk skill up, afk job leveling. Hell, whats the point if you afk the game. It seems many people no longer have friends to play with. this is a quote from a guy with terrible attitude (which seems to have become ram-pit)

Me: Hey you should try and be nicer to people, you may find it will help you in the future accomplish the thing you need.

Him: "LMAO, your such a *** noob, I can just get what I need from shouting in port jeuno faster then friends list or LS, LS's are dead bra!"

But then again, this is the ***-ura server /sigh!
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-03-14 03:08:50  
Lakshmi.Chilzen said:
Is there a fancy new way to skillup Parrying yet? Been stuck at about 190 for too long, and mandies in the tree will proc it, but don't seem to grant me skill at a reliable rate.

A single .1 or so after 30-40 minutes of 5-6 Mouri on me or even 2-3 Korrigans makes me think either the skillup system, or myself, is doing something wrong there.
For the parrying question, Due to the recent add up on parrying ***on DNC and the update from SE for sskill wise, I found solo dnc parrying skill pretty decent.But yeah, it sucks.
 Caitsith.Loughry
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Loughry
By Caitsith.Loughry 2011-03-14 03:09:52  
Lakshmi.Chilzen said:

Hello, I capped parrying at the level 75 cap and wanted to give you a tip or two.

I capped parrying on Pucks in Den of Rancor as NIN. I was a hardcore THF soloist and wanted to have capped parrying, but chose to cap it on NIN because of the large amount of -PDT gear available.

To start, enter Den of Rancor at J-7 of Yhoator Jungle. You will see a room of lizards, and a tunnel to the right that leads to a room of about 5 Pucks. Simply aggro a Puck or 2 and bring it near the room with the lizards. Keeping yourself in the tunnel, simply engage a lizard while facing the Puck.

Basically, you are engaged on a lizard, which will never come in range for you to actually swing at while you are facing the Puck to get parrying skill ups.

Bonus, having access to a healer lets you take on 3~ Pucks for more skill up rates and since you only aggro them, cures from the healer do not build hate.

Any questions or anything, please ask. Hope this helps!
By Ashaaman 2011-03-14 03:12:15  
richwood said:
Ashaaman said:

That is all I am saying, I play the game to hang out with friends, and to actually play the game, Not sure I fully understand all the afk skill up, afk job leveling. Hell, whats the point if you afk the game. It seems many people no longer have friends to play with. this is a quote from a guy with terrible attitude (which seems to have become ram-pit)

Me: Hey you should try and be nicer to people, you may find it will help you in the future accomplish the thing you need.

Him: "LMAO, your such a *** noob, I can just get what I need from shouting in port jeuno faster then friends list or LS, LS's are dead bra!"

Sadly, for people with the, "Me first" attitude, this is true... Because if they shout, they don't owe those people anything and don't have to worry about being asked for help in the future. Whereas if you ask for a friends help, you may not owe them, but they have the full right to ask you for help in return, which would slow down said person's progress on whatever it is they're working on.
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-03-14 03:12:55  
richwood said:
Ashaaman said:

lol wow, the answer from him is so mean for nothing.But he is right about 1 thing, I found out that I can get more accomplished with my group of friend (we like 4-6 depending on days) then actual Ls.From being in a huge LS (30+ ppl), it's *** slow as hell to get stuff.Even if they can kill/camp more nm at the same time, having 2 full allys wanting the same stuff as you is just not fun.Especially when it's new stuff.And also, every1 have all *** jobs lol.
By richwood 2011-03-14 03:13:04  
Caitsith.Loughry said:
Lakshmi.Chilzen said:

Hello, I capped parrying at the level 75 cap and wanted to give you a tip or two.

I capped parrying on Pucks in Den of Rancor as NIN. I was a hardcore THF soloist and wanted to have capped parrying, but chose to cap it on NIN because of the large amount of -PDT gear available.

To start, enter Den of Rancor at J-7 of Yhoator Jungle. You will see a room of lizards, and a tunnel to the right that leads to a room of about 5 Pucks. Simply aggro a Puck or 2 and bring it near the room with the lizards. Keeping yourself in the tunnel, simply engage a lizard while facing the Puck.

Basically, you are engaged on a lizard, which will never come in range for you to actually swing at while you are facing the Puck to get parrying skill ups.

Bonus, having access to a healer lets you take on 3~ Pucks for more skill up rates and since you only aggro them, cures from the healer do not build hate.

lol I did this with guard, those puks at 75 could rip you up if you had 3 with out healer. I am kinda like you I have to have everything blue in my skills boxes. but yeah I think many old school players have either a friends account or mule heal account to do this.

Have you done the mandies in A-Altepa yet? I get great skill from them just using all regen/def atma and pocket-taru
 Caitsith.Loughry
By Caitsith.Loughry 2011-03-14 03:15:23  
richwood said:
Caitsith.Loughry said:
Lakshmi.Chilzen said:

lol I did this with guard, those puks at 75 could rip you up if you had 3 with out healer. I am kinda like you I have to have everything blue in my skills boxes. but yeah I think many old school players have either a friends account or mule heal account to do this.

Have you done the mandies in A-Altepa yet? I get great skill from them just using all regen/def atma and pocket-taru

Actually, I haven't brought up my Parrying to cap since 90 level cap since I don't really solo cassie anymore. However, I did do those mandies to cap evasion skill on THF. And in all honesty, it took maybe 10~15min to cap evasion with 3x regen atmas and a healer.
By richwood 2011-03-14 03:16:59  
My LS is only 6 people, people I have known for a bit, and we get gear and stuff dropping like candy just hanging out for a couple hours a day. I have like about 30 af3+2, and a couple dozen accessories for jobs as well as 1 and 1/2 epherials, as well as gil from mercenary kills fro other people who need the stuff we just let hit the floor otherwise.

What this guy was saying is he did not even need friends, he could just shout for everything. which if you where on ***-ura you would understand it is like a plague on that server I swear. but it may be like that on all servers, IDK lol.
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-03-14 03:20:59  
richwood said:
My LS is only 6 people, people I have known for a bit, and we get gear and stuff dropping like candy just hanging out for a couple hours a day. I have like about 30 af3+2, and a couple dozen accessories for jobs as well as 1 and 1/2 epherials, as well as gil from mercenary kills fro other people who need the stuff we just let hit the floor otherwise.

What this guy was saying is he did not even need friends, he could just shout for everything. which if you where on ***-ura you would understand it is like a plague on that server I swear. but it may be like that on all servers, IDK lol.
Yeah, all servers have their <3ers.Us is Vigor :D
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2011-03-14 03:22:11  
Well since a parry takes place when you fail your EVA check, I created this set to use on THF/DNC

At present I'm in the process of trying to acquire the pieces I don't have. Then it's just a matter of dragging a healer friend along to cure me as I supertanked mandies someplace. In theory this should be amazing, in actual practice... we'll see!
 Caitsith.Loughry
By Caitsith.Loughry 2011-03-14 03:27:15  
Asura.Malekith said:
Well since a parry takes place when you fail your EVA check, I created this set to use on THF/DNC

At present I'm in the process of trying to acquire the pieces I don't have. Then it's just a matter of dragging a healer friend along to cure me as I supertanked mandies someplace. In theory this should be amazing, in actual practice... we'll see!

I noticed you don't have NIN or SAM leveled. Just giving you my personal opinion, while I do understand your view on the -Evasion gear, I still think I would go with PDT where possible. Like the rings I think you would find -10%~-12% PDT more useful than -10 evasion. You would be able to take on more mandies while being hit for less damgage.

Also, if you can engage on a monster without hitting it, this would let you use Terra's staff, and since you're not swinging at the mandies (assuming simple aggro), healer cures with no hate gain.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2011-03-14 03:36:31  
Glad to see people checked my jobs list. I suppose I would do the same were a poster talking about skilling shield. In a perfect world, the best way to level a skill and cap is to use those jobs that have at least an A-rating or better in it. Yet the world is not perfect and one must do what they can with what they have available.

The whole point of that particular build was to ensure that I failed my EVA check. The point of picking thief to do this on was because 1) easiest to gear in this fashion based off my survey and 2) more importantly I wanted a job I had leveled that had a decently high parry rating.

Why waste a slot with PDT? IF I die... exp is easily gained. If the comment was made with the thought of "well then you could tank moar mobs" I counter with 5-6 mandies should be enough to accomplish what I'm after. Hell if I didn't have friends available, I could solo on my own and slowly grind my way up.
 Caitsith.Loughry
By Caitsith.Loughry 2011-03-14 03:50:30  
Asura.Malekith said:
Glad to see people checked my jobs list. I suppose I would do the same were a poster talking about skilling shield. In a perfect world, the best way to level a skill and cap is to use those jobs that have at least an A-rating or better in it. Yet the world is not perfect and one must do what they can with what they have available.

The whole point of that particular build was to ensure that I failed my EVA check. The point of picking thief to do this on was because 1) easiest to gear in this fashion based off my survey and 2) more importantly I wanted a job I had leveled that had a decently high parry rating.

Why waste a slot with PDT? IF I die... exp is easily gained. If the comment was made with the thought of "well then you could tank moar mobs" I counter with 5-6 mandies should be enough to accomplish what I'm after. Hell if I didn't have friends available, I could solo on my own and slowly grind my way up.

Let me know how this works for you when you try this please.

Also, the point of the job check was to see if you had other jobs leveled that had the A- skill in Parrying.

I would hope naturally people assume PLD if someone were asking about skilling shield.

Most people would not just assume THF when thinking parrying.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2011-03-14 03:55:45  
No prob, I appreciate the critique. Just wanted to fully give my rationale.

W/ respect to testing, it'll take time. Even when servers get back up, I need to set aside time to acquire what I'm missing. :/
 Caitsith.Loughry
By Caitsith.Loughry 2011-03-14 04:08:13  
Asura.Malekith said:
No prob, I appreciate the critique. Just wanted to fully give my rationale.

W/ respect to testing, it'll take time. Even when servers get back up, I need to set aside time to acquire what I'm missing. :/

While that may be ideal to you for your THF. Could you not just leech SAM to 90 and try the same thing? SAM has pretty bad evasion and most of that gear is usable on SAM.

If your goal was to cap parrying, from me to you, I think you'd save time leveling SAM to 90. This is of course without knowing how close you are to skadi body complete or how much of that gear you actually do have on hand. Sadly, a lot of the low level gear is extremely hard to come by.

Either way, good luck on your endeavor! Parrying is pretty awesome
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2011-03-14 04:10:39  
Pandemonium.Anookulchandra said:
(granted I was on pandy... and we didn't lose the *** candy Idk how the *** ASSura *** it up with more players.)
Bish please... native ASSuran's don't care about besieged, that's how we lose the candy. Lucky you weren't here pre-Aby, We'd lose the *** candy at a level 3 besieged and not get it back for atleast 2 weeks lol... god those were the days! ><;
By Artemicion 2011-03-14 04:11:00  
This thread reminds me of playing in 2003 and explaining to new thieves and other party members alike, in finger puppet examples and demonstrations om how SATA works.
 Titan.Gaiarorshack
サーバ: Titan
user: MiavPigen
By Titan.Gaiarorshack 2011-03-14 04:14:34  
richwood said:
Ashaaman said:

I don't know, maybe I'm just of the mentality that, when I play the game, I want to actually play it. Kind of like, feel that accomplishment of doing something. I mean, it's just skill ups, yeah. But you still get to have that feeling that you did it...

That is all I am saying, I play the game to hang out with friends, and to actually play the game...

Doing afk skillups is not making you not able to hang with friends.
and it not blocking you for playing the game and accomplishing stuff.
i fail to see the logic in that argumentation.

but suddenly from the guy that says "GO GET SKILLUPS" says "its just about hanging with friends and playing the game" ?
so you turned 180 when you suggestion on tree was proven a bad skillups place...

Anyway i do agree that people should try to do skill ups and learn their job before advertising its as a job they have for a run.
having someone talk about they can come nin 90 for tanking and then show up with not eva cap'ed >.<

same reason i never mention i have smn90 cause it was astral burned all the way just to have a merits machine for war (pre-abyssea)

last time i made a shout group i had to stop myself for not giving people third degree questioning about their jobs when they mentioned 5+ 90 jobs
H#ll even my social ls leader just leves jobs with no merrits,no skillups just levels. Did that even before abyssea with tons of qufim sync pt.
no wonder it went 0/15 on maat
[+]
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2011-03-14 04:16:08  
Caitsith.Loughry said:
If your goal was to cap parrying, from me to you, I think you'd save time leveling SAM to 90.
Last I checked SAM and THF have the same A- PAR rating (as do NIN and SURPRISE... COR). I get that SAM has a B+ EVA translating into -20 EVA skill (compared to THF) thus requiring less -EVA gear, but again I'd sooner work with what I got.

Leeching SAM to 90 for the task at hand when I already have a job leveled that could do what I intend is just extra work I'd rather avoid.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-14 04:17:48  
Titan.Gaiarorshack said:
richwood said:
Ashaaman said:

I don't know, maybe I'm just of the mentality that, when I play the game, I want to actually play it. Kind of like, feel that accomplishment of doing something. I mean, it's just skill ups, yeah. But you still get to have that feeling that you did it...

That is all I am saying, I play the game to hang out with friends, and to actually play the game...

but suddenly from the guy that says "GO GET SKILLUPS" says "its just about hanging with friends and playing the game" ?
so you turned 180 when you suggestion on tree was proven a bad skillups place...
i'd give anything up to go back to the days where i was excited when i dinged from 49-50, now it's like "can this go any faster?"
[+]
By Ashaaman 2011-03-14 04:19:09  
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Titan.Gaiarorshack said:
richwood said:
Ashaaman said:

i'd give anything up to go back to the days where i was excited when i dinged from 49-50, now it's like "can this go any faster?"

This completely. Remember being in your very first social, and you'd ding 20 in valk and finally get to move to qufim. Or ding 24/25 and get to move to the next camp. How excited you were. Everyone would say grats, it would be somewhat of a big deal. Now it's like, 'wait, you're not 90 yet? *** gimp.'
[+]