Would An American Company Do It?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Would an American company do it?
Would an American company do it?
 Sylph.Liltrouble
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-03-13 14:47:55  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Attribute said:
I'm in no way saying your wrong, we are always helping someone.
Whether they want it or not ;)
Except the Chinese, we never help them. However, they have helped us though...
 Ramuh.Attribute
サーバ: Ramuh
user: XGP0001
By Ramuh.Attribute 2011-03-13 14:48:51  
Id be all like you *** gonna have to take my mutha *** power. Like a boss.
 Titan.Guenhwyvar
サーバ: Titan
By Titan.Guenhwyvar 2011-03-13 14:49:18  
Yea, thats why the fine print on my mortgage contract is now written in Chinese lol.
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-13 14:51:29  
Ramuh.Attribute said:
Id be all like you *** gonna have to take my mutha *** power. Like a boss.
Wait are we talking about you raping people now?
 Diabolos.Winzor
サーバ: Diabolos
user: dfox
By Diabolos.Winzor 2011-03-13 14:52:54  
As large of a company as they are and with virtualization and clustering technologies there is no excuse for them not to have a co-located datacenter here in the states so that when this happens they do not have to shut things down for a week.

This is just poor technology planning on SE's part but then again we've all grown to love how SE handles their customer service but yet we still pay their monthly access fee.
 Ramuh.Attribute
By Ramuh.Attribute 2011-03-13 14:53:48  
Thats a good idea. We should have some nice local serial rapings and claim that the Japanese drove us to it because we couldn't play online games. The only evidence they have is the police sketch of my mask. (lol thats from some song)
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-13 14:54:36  
Diabolos.Winzor said:
As large of a company as they are and with virtualization and clustering technologies there is no excuse for them not to have a co-located datacenter here in the states so that when this happens they do not have to shut things down for a week.
[+]
 Ifrit.Arawn
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-03-13 14:55:56  
Odin.Godofgods said:
After seeing what has happened in japan, and being asked to conserve power, SE has shut down XI and XIV in order to help conserve power.

Living in american, i couldnt help but wonder; Would an american company do such a thing if that disaster had primaraly hit us and we had to make a plee or power conservation.

Personaly, im force to think no. Americans are generaly far to greedy to shut down their buisness for a while, even if it was to help others.

In the US there are a variety of power grids. If one Power grid were taken out in say.... Ohio. It would not affect California. Trying to compare the two is kind of silly. The situation more than likely wouldn't even come up.

However, if you're playing on purely hypothetical situations... It depends. Despite the vocal minority of people who seem to be all greed based and callous and unsympathetic, the majority of people are NOT. There are tons of conscientious companies in the United States. I'm sure blizzard would shut down their servers to save lives or ease the comfort of a population.

I don't quite get where you get off thinking that people over here are driven only by the almighty dollar 'unlike other countries' or however you want to think about it.

[+]
 Fenrir.Taurent
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Taurent
By Fenrir.Taurent 2011-03-13 14:56:02  
If I remember correctly they gave some advance notice of the weather patterns for Katrina, tried to have people evacuate--even went as far as to give them like 72hrs notice to evacuate the then 'possibly affected areas', but apparently that wasnt enough, they even gave transport alternatives for those who couldnt afford it and people still stayed.

But hey ya cant fix stupid, building cities under sea level is stupid, its as stupid as building a city over a bridge and as stupid as keeping all your servers in one location when you have service centers on multiple continents that could easily house the server clusters.
[+]
 Ramuh.Attribute
By Ramuh.Attribute 2011-03-13 14:57:27  
Fenrir.Taurent said:
If I remember correctly they gave some advance notice of the weather patterns for Katrina, tried to have people evacuate--even went as far as to give them like 72hrs notice to evacuate the then 'possibly affected areas', but apparently that wasnt enough, they even gave transport alternatives for those who couldnt afford it and people still stayed.

But hey ya cant fix stupid, building cities under sea level is stupid, its as stupid as building a city over a bridge and as stupid as keeping all your servers in one location when you have service centers on multiple continents that could easily house the server clusters.

The Ghettos don't *** listen. They thought the white man just wanted them to leave for alittle while so we could build a mall over there houses.
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-13 15:07:48  
Evacuating for hurricanes isn't just that simple. I've lived on the Texas coast my entire life, so I've seen quite a few hurricanes in my day. Sure some people stay behind, but only because they know what's ahead. Traffic backed up for hours, after a major evacuation is complete you can drive down the evacuation route and you will see dead cars all over the place, it looks like a half empty parking lot. Those are the cars that ran out of gas or overheated or had some other problem while sitting there for hours on end. It is extremely difficult to get a major city empty.

Then there's also the fact that once you get out and the hurricane is over, it's hard to get back into the city to go home. During Katrina our city was locked off (meaning general population isn't allowed back in) for a couple of weeks. That means unless you have someone to stay with, you're going to have to spend a couple of weeks in a hotel or something, which is ridiculously expensive, and it's hard to even find one that has vacancies.

Then there's also the fact that the damage usually isn't that great, Katrina was kind of a freak storm. Even for lesser storms they try to evacuate people. All that really happens is trees get blown over and power lines get knocked down. Stay your *** inside and you're pretty much safe to just ride the storm out.

Point is, there are a lot more reasons people don't evacuate during hurricanes than stupidity.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kidvicious
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Ooolala
By Quetzalcoatl.Kidvicious 2011-03-13 15:15:01  
Sure they would, for the sole reason of not looking like greedy ***. Corporations in America are self serving, if the negative press from doing something wrong would mess with their bottom line, they aren't going to do it. If they could go about it and not have any back lash from it, you think they are going to lose money to do something that is morally responsible?

90% of the wealth in this country is owned by 10% of the people. That 10% isn't going to risk losing any of it....
 Caitsith.Sai
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Saiii
By Caitsith.Sai 2011-03-13 15:18:04  
Quetzalcoatl.Kidvicious said:
Sure they would, for the sole reason of not looking like greedy ***. Corporations in America are self serving, if the negative press from doing something wrong would mess with their bottom line, they aren't going to do it. If they could go about it and not have any back lash from it, you think they are going to lose money to do something that is morally responsible?

90% of the wealth in this country is owned by 10% of the people. That 10% isn't going to risk losing any of it....

Signed Fannie, Freddie, BOA, Chase, WM, WF, Comcast etc etc etc.
 Fenrir.Fearforever
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Fearforever 2011-03-13 15:18:53  
How long do you think it'll take to have stable power to the whole of Japan?

Because they used Sea water to cool the reacters they can never use them again because they will corode
 Bahamut.Lolserj
user: Andras
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-03-13 15:19:23  
an american company would probably do it and then charge a fee to get it back online
 Ifrit.Phlow
user: Phlow
By Ifrit.Phlow 2011-03-13 15:21:24  
Odin.Godofgods said:
After seeing what has happened in japan, and being asked to conserve power, SE has shut down XI and XIV in order to help conserve power.

Living in american, i couldnt help but wonder; Would an american company do such a thing if that disaster had primaraly hit us and we had to make a plee or power conservation.

Personaly, im force to think no. Americans are generaly far to greedy to shut down their buisness for a while, even if it was to help others.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/02/us-ercot-rollingblackots-idUSTRE7116ZH20110202

Yes, I work in the energy business currently, and there were conservations made during this rolling blackout period we had in Texas just recently (texas is the only state on it's own power grid). Some were enforced during the ERCOT shutdown, some were voluntary. I have worked for a server database company called The Planet (now Softlayer). We were prepared at all times for things such as this, with batteries backups, diesel fueled generators, etc etc etc. We kept things running smoothly through Hurricane Ike, when Houston was out of power for 2 weeks.

To be truthful, however, SE is smaller company with less concentration on 100% uptime. They are software coders, not hardware engineers. They have also offered way more of a refund than my old company, The Planet, would have (1 month subscription fee for 1 week of outage) I assume (was a sales guy, never a number cruncher). I don't fault, and never will fault them from taking care of their workers and giving them a week off to tend to family that might have been impacted by this.
[+]
 Ifrit.Phlow
user: Phlow
By Ifrit.Phlow 2011-03-13 15:33:37  
Diabolos.Winzor said:

This is just poor technology planning on SE's part but then again we've all grown to love how SE handles their customer service but yet we still pay their monthly access fee.

As spoken from the guy that has never ever attempted to set up a globally redundant database.

***is ***, and a pipe dream of most websites at best. It was one of the worst things to sell at my job because, while it can be done, it will literally cost you out the *** in terms of both bandwidth to sync two cross-continental server clusters as well as coding a replication method that will not interrupt ***in the databases.

I'd probably ballpark it at 7k a month per 2x replicated server, including the setup and administration of the replicated server (it's been a while since I sold, so prices might have changed drastically). This vs. a good healthy failover setup in the same datacenter for like 1k a month.

So that's like multiplying your sub fee by 7x. Do you enjoy paying $105 per month for FFXI?

And if you quote cloud computing I will literally lose my ***. There is no way you will get database intensive applications to run off of a cloud with the performance expected.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2011-03-13 15:36:05  
Asura.Ludoggy said:
Talking about energy conserving.
How much energy do big servers like ffxi take?
a lot of wattage ... 27 servers + cooling system/air conditioners, and misc stuff
 Leviathan.Rihoko
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Rihoko 2011-03-13 15:36:48  
US would do it because power shortage is a serious issue and all entertainment could be sacrificed for it.
 Garuda.Laurenn
サーバ: Garuda
user: Laurenn
By Garuda.Laurenn 2011-03-13 16:04:35  
Honestly, in the whole thread I only only saw one or two people mention size differences.

Japan is not that big of a country, granted its not small but compared to the US they are quite tiny. We can say "oh the US would never do that cause they are greedy and blah blah blah", but when it comes right down to it, if we scale the damage to the US size the damage would have to span about an entire coast and 2-3 states in to match the damage done to Japan.

I agree that the US will always shove its hand down the throats of whoever it wants in search of "giving them aid", but most of the time the people do need it.(Haiti, Japan, etc.)

To get back to the topic at hand, I don't think the US would shut down power if something like this happened but they wouldn't because it has the rest of the countries power to fall back on.
 Unicorn.Ducea
サーバ: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Ducea 2011-03-13 16:10:12  
the right thing to do is shut down the servers. but my question is, why are there no servers in europe or the usa? also why is there no backup plan for virtual servers of some type in case of something like this. this is SE's fault, not the quake
 Quetzalcoatl.Kidvicious
By Quetzalcoatl.Kidvicious 2011-03-13 16:14:38  
Unicorn.Ducea said:
the right thing to do is shut down the servers. but my question is, why are there no servers in europe or the usa? also why is there no backup plan for virtual servers of some type in case of something like this. this is SE's fault, not the quake

Lol SE's fault. Someone needs their FFXI fix baaaad
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-13 16:16:38  
Unicorn.Ducea said:

This just proves that when you're into the game, FFXI is like crack. My wife told me there's a lot of people on Alla freaking out that the game is going to be gone for a week.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kidvicious
By Quetzalcoatl.Kidvicious 2011-03-13 16:20:28  
Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Unicorn.Ducea said:

This just proves that when you're into the game, FFXI is like crack. My wife told me there's a lot of people on Alla freaking out that the game is going to be gone for a week.

I did see OJ Simpson near a fault line a few days ago......

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Degs
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2011-03-13 16:22:54  
Unicorn.Ducea said:

people still use alla?
 Shiva.Ergiyios
サーバ: Shiva
user: Ergiyios
By Shiva.Ergiyios 2011-03-13 16:22:58  
I didn't read any previous posts but Japan is the size of California.....Apples to oranges...
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-13 16:25:09  
Phoenix.Degs said:
Unicorn.Ducea said:

people still use alla?
I guess so..
 Odin.Spccdog
サーバ: Odin
user: spccdog
By Odin.Spccdog 2011-03-13 16:25:37  
how about hurricane katrina,we all volunteered to go help in my unit.
and we go out of our way to help countries in need such as haiti, thailand the list could go on for days.how could you say we wouldnt shut down a game to save power for more crucial things. thats an ignorant un-intelligent comment imo. we are a very unselfish nation overall. but of course there are some.
[+]
 Ramuh.Urial
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-03-13 16:26:15  
Odin.Godofgods said:

Regardless of the rest of this thread...I just want to say lol....our public school system here in the states is doing *** amazing!

Irony I typo'd there.