Would An American Company Do It?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Would an American company do it?
Would an American company do it?
First Page 2 3
 Odin.Godofgods
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2011-03-13 13:47:20  
After seeing what has happened in japan, and being asked to conserve power, SE has shut down XI and XIV in order to help conserve power.

Living in american, i couldnt help but wonder; Would an american company do such a thing if that disaster had primaraly hit us and we had to make a plee or power conservation.

Personaly, im force to think no. Americans are generaly far to greedy to shut down their buisness for a while, even if it was to help others.
[+]
 Ramuh.Attribute
サーバ: Ramuh
user: XGP0001
By Ramuh.Attribute 2011-03-13 13:50:58  
F R E E D O M. We have the choice to choose. But many states have water laws, i'm sure energy would fall under those same laws. TBH i'm pretty sure SE was probably forced to. Do you think they happily did this and removed all of those monthly fees from there payrolls?
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2011-03-13 13:53:38  
happaly, no. But id more then bet that the jap would do such a thing volentarly long before a US company would
[+]
 Ramuh.Attribute
By Ramuh.Attribute 2011-03-13 13:54:42  
Ehh its hard to say. They are godly strict when it comes to corporations. Even more so than us.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-03-13 13:54:46  
In California, definitely, only because Southern California Edison charges like 5x Prime usage fees during "Critical Periods" or some such ***.
 Asura.Ludoggy
サーバ: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-03-13 13:57:35  
Talking about energy conserving.
How much energy do big servers like ffxi take?
 Sylph.Liltrouble
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-03-13 14:04:10  
I think alot of people forget that in the us, we suffered a tragedy recently that shut down hundreds, if not thousands, of companies. I'm talking about 9/11. Thousands of companies shut down just out of pure horror-stricken employees, but many shut down and raced to N.Y to help as well. Some shut down for different reasons
[+]
 Titan.Guenhwyvar
サーバ: Titan
By Titan.Guenhwyvar 2011-03-13 14:05:17  
Troll attempt alert!

Yea us Americans would never consider it (sarcasm for the feeble minded)), thats why we send billions of dollars as well as able bodies for aide when it happens to the less fortunate.

Granted we dont get hit with natural disasters of that magnitude, and our country isnt just a microscopic blip on the map where it would affect an entire country.. but the disasters we do see really pull us together... Katrina hurricane in New Orleans... BP oil spill in the gulf of mexico... 9/11.. and several more the OP didnt consider before making such a generalized post. hell there are still relief funds out there being generated.

Attribute is correct, we get the options here nationally, but locally there are restrictions. Im sure SE wasnt given much choice... even though its the right thing to do.
[+]
 Caitsith.Sai
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Saiii
By Caitsith.Sai 2011-03-13 14:08:45  
Corporations are nothing more than brainless, soulless monsters that would gladly cannibalize their own consumer bases just to make an extra buck.

You should look and see if you can find anything over there about government mandated suspension of all non crucial services or if there were any large increases in rates due to increased power demands.

Of course we should expect SE to try and put a positive spin on the situation so it comes across like they are the good guys. It's not like they are going to say "Because of the increased rate for electricity at this time, we have determined our profits would not be acceptable this month so we're going to take this opportunity for some good PR and tell everyone we're doing it for the good of the country etc".

In direct response to the OP though, no. An American comp. would only do so if ordered to. In fact, our most recent disaster (economy meltdown) was caused by our own comp (banks). Not only have they not tried to help anyone in the aftermath, but they continue to try and *** everyone over still.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-13 14:14:11  
Lol you say this like they'd have a choice. Have you not looked at the rolling black outs in the past? The government will step in and just cut power off to places. I think companies have learned it better to conserve power or shut things down yourself than to just have things unexpectantly completely shut off for you lol.

And as already mentioned usually during situations like that prices especially during peak hours and such go up alot making things not so cost efficient
 Quetzalcoatl.Serbzook
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: niktod
By Quetzalcoatl.Serbzook 2011-03-13 14:17:25  
Odin.Godofgods said:
After seeing what has happened in japan, and being asked to conserve power, SE has shut down XI and XIV in order to help conserve power.

Living in american, i couldnt help but wonder; Would an american company do such a thing if that disaster had primaraly hit us and we had to make a plee or power conservation.

Personaly, im force to think no. Americans are generaly far to greedy to shut down their buisness for a while, even if it was to help others.

I think this is exactly right, the JPs are much much much more concious about the well being of humanity, i would go as far as calling em saints. They are so good natured i believe they should definitely be the prevailing race on the planet. When you see more of thees around the world youll know we are heading in the right direction;

inb4 kkk and etc, no in the usa discrimination is condemned and everyone is treated equally in the court of law nways, idc bout your ghetto.

All *** aside, feel sorry for all those poor ppl and i hope oda is ok and he gonna release one piece this week.

NINJA EDIT: just to make my crap clear instead of letting you read in between the lines; Where one country does better another does worst at the same place but it compensates by another positive aspect. Am doing this ninja edit because i do truly feel sorry for those poor ppl and after re-reading my post it seemed a little too offensive towards em in my liking. But bottom line is there is no reason to trash the US over it as much as i personally like to do so usually, the US basically told japan they would suck their weiners if needed be to help them trough these difficult times, and that speaks volume.
[+]
By Mollie 2011-03-13 14:20:20  
they have lost both of their main power plants, i highly doubt they will have power anytime soon which is also probably inhabitable due to the chemicals and radiation
 Ramuh.Attribute
By Ramuh.Attribute 2011-03-13 14:22:42  
160 infected with radiation poisoning and counting. So yes I would have to say the JP Gov stepped in and made this happen. TBH I'm amazed SE even had the grace period to give its players a warning.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-13 14:24:39  
Mollie said:
they have lost both of their main power plants, i highly doubt they will have power anytime soon which is also probably inhabitable due to the chemicals and radiation
Um last I heard they lost 2 reactors total. They have several more plants and more reactors in those plants. People were still there monitoring ***anyways.

Now they want to make sure things are stable and safe before they start things back up. And even then reactor startups aren't something you just flip an on switch for. But it's not like that is there only source of electricity. And some of the back ups that got killed cause of the tsunami are coming back (that and the US is helping). We just sent several boats over and we have the ability to generate and send power to them thru it and have done so for countries in the past... like say Haiti.
 Ramuh.Attribute
By Ramuh.Attribute 2011-03-13 14:28:06  
lolHaiti?

This is what America does when everyone else is ***.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f14ydqOn9eo

(Seriously watch this ***)
[+]
By Mollie 2011-03-13 14:31:24  
your cnn now?
 Ramuh.Attribute
By Ramuh.Attribute 2011-03-13 14:32:27  
I'm Charlie Murphy ***. I own CNN.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-13 14:33:02  
Ramuh.Attribute said:
lolHaiti?
You do realize that within a day or 2 the US was providing at least half the total support to Haiti from organization to food water and electricity. Ie we were doing more than the local government, the UN, and other countries were doing combined
 Ramuh.Attribute
By Ramuh.Attribute 2011-03-13 14:34:15  
Probably so. Thats why we cant even help our own country like Katrina.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Serbzook
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: niktod
By Quetzalcoatl.Serbzook 2011-03-13 14:35:38  
Ramuh.Attribute said:
lolHaiti?

i FCKN LOVE to ***talk the USA, especially while im having a coffee and a smoke like now. But this is one of those rare moments where i have to disagree. Whenever there is a disaster you'll see american flags helping out at the scene.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-13 14:37:07  
Ramuh.Attribute said:
Oh we helped... it's just easier to provide support when your support isn't all *** up :). Plus we were much worse prepared for that... seriously cities under sea lvl! Wider spread dmg etc. Oh and iirc we refused alot of help. I mean hundreds of millions of dollars worth.
[+]
 Ramuh.Attribute
By Ramuh.Attribute 2011-03-13 14:37:49  
I'm in no way saying your wrong, we are always helping someone.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-13 14:39:04  
Navy Units Prepare to Support Tsunami-Damaged Areas

Naval Air Facility Atsugi Collects Relief Supplies for Japanese Tsunami Survivors

USS Blue Ridge readies to provide aid to Japan
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-13 14:39:39  
Ramuh.Attribute said:
I'm in no way saying your wrong, we are always helping someone.
Whether they want it or not ;)
[+]
By Spencyono 2011-03-13 14:42:38  
Quetzalcoatl.Serbzook said:
Ramuh.Attribute said:
lolHaiti?

i FCKN LOVE to ***talk the USA, especially while im having a coffee and a smoke like now. But this is one of those rare moments where i have to disagree. Whenever there is a disaster you'll see american flags helping out at the scene.

I agree, though a lot of Americans are pretty pompous about it, you can't neglect the fact that they do a lot of good.

/shudders

Ew

What did I just say!?
 Titan.Guenhwyvar
サーバ: Titan
By Titan.Guenhwyvar 2011-03-13 14:45:12  
Ramuh.Attribute said:

Yea, cause the Big Easy is still underwater from the hurricane dikes failing. There are still relief funds campaigning even though the disaster has been cleaned up, businesses have reopened, the population returned, and hell... they still host Mardi Gras...

Quetzalcoatl.Serbzook said:
Ramuh.Attribute said:
lolHaiti? This is what America does when everyone else is ***. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f14ydqOn9eo (Seriously watch this ***)

lol you sound French... oh wait... Canada... :) You must be East Coast.
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-13 14:46:05  
Would depend on the company.. I'm going to say generally, no.

Then again, the US would likely fare better off if we got hit by the same thing.. Not because we're better prepared or anything, just because of the sheer size of the country.

If the disaster was proportionally scaled up for the US, I have no doubt that many companies would make sacrifices. You wouldn't want to be one of the few greedy corporations that refused to suspend their power consumption for non-essentials.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2011-03-13 14:46:11  
I couldnt find anything on a government mandate to reduce power usage. However, one of the largest power companies in Japan, Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), has the request blatantly posted at the top of their website as well as in every press release since the incident.

Tokyo said:
-Caution-

A big earthquake occurred in the northern part of Japan at 2:46PM of March 11th 2011.Because TEPCO's facilities have been seriously damaged, power shortage may occur.TEPCO appreciates customers' cooperation in reducing electricity usage by avoiding using unnecessary lighting and electrical equipment.
We are taking all measures to restore power, however, we expect extremely challenging situation in power supply for a while. We kindly ask our customers to cooperate with us in reducing usage of power.
Please do NOT touch cut-off electric wires, even if you find them.

Resources:

http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/index-e.html

TEPCO Press Release March 13; 8:00 AM

Now yes, I believe that many major US corporations wouldnt adjust unless they absolutely had to. But there are also many corporations that likely would do so, and even more so on a local level. The entire country of Japan is what, smaller than the entire state of California? Everywhere is basically local to them, so this type of action makes sense from major businesses.
[+]
First Page 2 3