Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 22323 22324 22325 ... 22573 22574 22575
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-12-09 08:54:26  
lol every mention of the railroad strike not happening is being removed from the internet

Get back to work slaves.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2022-12-09 09:11:05  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Buy it and gimme that diorama that I can put with my Drizzt books >.>
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-12-09 12:57:34  
Having not watched the awards, now I understand the joke.

Was highly confused.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2022-12-09 13:15:35  
Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
Ragnarok.Ghishlain said: »
Ah yes, I am reminded of Max's rant about the "Best Fighting" category.
Genres are one of those constructs we use because the human brain just loves categorizing things, even when there is no obvious boundary for it. They're very fickle, and blend together more and more as time goes on.

If I heard a game coming out was a "fighting game", the first thing my brain would think of is a game with a variety of characters to choose from, each with different moves that I'd have to master on both mine and all the other characters to know what my opponent is capable of, maybe learn some combos or something.

And because that description is just so unbelievably vague, it doesn't really describe anything anyway. I've realized that even my favourite genres don't excite me anymore because there are so many different ways to make them. I almost think we'd be better off describing games as the games they're most inspired by. Like, OK you've got a "tactical RPG". But does it more closely resemble the gameplay of XCOM or Tactics Ogre? You've got a "2D platformer", but is it more like Castlevania, Mario, Sonic...? Even games like Final Fantasy XI and XIV are so different that it's harmful to give them the exact same genre label.

Yeah, even within the same genre there is a lot of nuance and unfortunately we can't really sub divide catagories too much or else there would be too much mush for people to wade through to get to their preferred catagory.

I do agree with Max's rant about Sifu being a fighting game though because I always personally fighting games should primarily revolve around the skill based PvP combat.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-12-09 13:26:35  
I do agree with Max's rant about Sifu being a fighting game though because I always personally fighting games should primarily revolve around the skill based PvP combat.
I think a good way to do it is to consider all of the overarching genres and see where it fits best. Sifu is not a fighting game because it's arguably closer to a beat-em-up, a la Final Fight.

Like, just because your first-person war shooter has level-ups and customization doesn't mean it fits under the "RPG" genre. If someone's concept of a "fighting game" is that you use hand-to-hand combat, then that disqualifies games like Soul Calibur from the genre. No, what makes a fighting game is a strategically balanced arena setting where one player/team emerges victorious after a fighting round.

By contrast, Sifu is a game where one player-controlled character wanders through levels beating up waves of enemies. That is by definition a beat-em-up.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-12-09 13:34:19  
It's too easy to blur the lines of a "category"

Literally every game in existence is a "role playing game" you are playing the role of the main character. Yes.

A hotdog is a "sandwich". Pizza is also and "sandwich". As defined by what a "sandwich" is.

You're unlikely to say that pizza is a better sandwich than your favorite burger. But it is.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-12-09 13:42:15  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Literally every game in existence is a "role playing game" you are playing the role of the main character. Yes.
The term "role-playing game" confused the crap out of me for a long time until I learned to accept it. It obviously just comes from the idea of tabletop RPGs wherein your character's stats develop over time. When that was adapted to video games, the name stuck, even though that doesn't at all describe the genre.

If someone else coined the definition, they'd probably just be called "level-ups" or something.

"You play that new Squaresoft level-up with graphics that look like Dragon Ball? It's so cool!"
- People from an alternate-reality 1995.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2022-12-09 15:56:49  
I think a good way to do it is to consider all of the overarching genres and see where it fits best. Sifu is not a fighting game because it's arguably closer to a beat-em-up, a la Final Fight.

Like, just because your first-person war shooter has level-ups and customization doesn't mean it fits under the "RPG" genre. If someone's concept of a "fighting game" is that you use hand-to-hand combat, then that disqualifies games like Soul Calibur from the genre. No, what makes a fighting game is a strategically balanced arena setting where one player/team emerges victorious after a fighting round.

By contrast, Sifu is a game where one player-controlled character wanders through levels beating up waves of enemies. That is by definition a beat-em-up.

Yeah, the over arching genre thing is definitely the right direction to consider a game's category and I agree with your categorization of Sifu based on the gameplay videos I've seen as I've never played the game myself.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-12-09 20:11:39  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
The term "role-playing game" confused the crap out of me for a long time until I learned to accept it. It obviously just comes from the idea of tabletop RPGs wherein your character's stats develop over time. When that was adapted to video games, the name stuck, even though that doesn't at all describe the genre.

If someone else coined the definition, they'd probably just be called "level-ups" or something.

"You play that new Squaresoft level-up with graphics that look like Dragon Ball? It's so cool!"
- People from an alternate-reality 1995.

It was originally named that way because RPGs started out as actual role playing games, i.e. you were handed a blank slate that you had to develop and build into a character all by yourself. Having a set of constructed characters didn't exist until later on when series like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy started designing casts of characters that you merely puppeteer through an established on-rails plot. Some games still keep to the original spirit (like Elder Scrolls, as an easy example).

As to why they didn't make a branch off genre for the more guided examples of RPGs, it probably comes down to recognition and not wanting to either stir the pot or confuse people. The general character development part of RPGs became the focus rather than the Role Playing itself (i.e. leveling up, building your skills and spells, etc.) and this is apparent when a game comes out and calls itself an RPG, but reviews cite the game having "minimal RPG elements".

In other news...

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2022-12-10 00:10:48  
Proth Clinton!
By Wordspoken 2022-12-10 09:35:49  
Weird, I find myself playing three houses again. After I last stopped playing I was sure I'm never playing it again. But as I was listening to Fodlan Winds for the umphteenth time, it just hit me: I like the game mechanics. It's a fun game to play.

And so I picked up where I left, meme playthrough on normal/casual. It was just too easy and felt like a chore to finish which is why I stopped playing. Finished that and hopped onto maddening. I also feel like doing a silver path run on hard... which is probably happening soon, there's no way my maddening campaign lives much longer :D
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2022-12-10 11:49:23  
I loved Three Houses. I played the absolute ***out of it. Got Maddening playthroughs done on Crimson Flower and Azure Moon. (Neither had NG+ bonuses to characters, though CF did have professor rank from NG+).

I basically played it till I got sick of it. The only real downside it has is that the map design is kinda meh. But why design super specific/awesome maps, when you can just circumvent them with your whole squad as Wyvern Lords? hehe.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2022-12-10 12:10:20  
I started to watch Wild Arms, but im not sure why this game is that praised…

The after watching 1/4 of this game, i cant help but feel like this game is extremelly shallow.

Both the characters and the plot seems to be extremelly bland.

Unless there is a turning point, i guess i will just skip this one
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2022-12-10 12:14:03  
Pantafernando said: »
I started to watch Wild Arms, but im not sure why this game is that praised…

The after watching 1/4 of this game, i cant help but feel like this game is extremelly shallow.

Both the characters and the plot seems to be extremelly bland.

Unless there is a turning point, i guess i will just skip this one
/slap /slap /slap /slap /slap /slap /slap /slap

Wild Arms is a lot of fun. The FP system lets you have a bit more to the fights than other standard RPGs, and the storyline has a few twists and turns.

Its characters are really well fleshed out, and they're central to the game as well. One has survivor guilt. Another is a chosen one. And the last one seems to just be a drifter (but boy howdy, you wait until the Metal Demon Zeikfriend wraps the chain on him boy).

You glue your eyes to that screen, and you watch the rest of that game! Unless it's one of its weird remake/reboots. Then I wouldn't bother.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2022-12-10 12:54:39  
The Wild Arms series is amazing.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2022-12-10 15:43:08  
Im not sure why Amazon is trying so hard to make things complicated to me...

Just recently I bought 2 ebooks there without any issue.

Now that im trying to buy another one, its saying it cant verify my location.

I mean, this is a digital order... and its not like i never bought anything before, why are you being so picky with me now???
By Pantafernando 2022-12-10 15:44:17  
This book is damn old, i would have no problem finding another place to buy it, it just that is convinient reading it in Amazon shelf
Administrator
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2022-12-10 18:07:20  
Jetackuu said: »
It is, but the first one has been remade a bit and the remake (Alter Code: F) isn't quite as tight. More playable characters, etc. I liked the simplicity of the original better.

WA3 is still the best in the series and has the best soundtrack BY FAR.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2022-12-10 18:17:28  
Yeah, i was watching the alter code.

Gonna give it a try to the original one.

At least, the opening scene from the original was way better than the 3 prequels from alter code F.

The original intro at least left in the air that there was “something” going on behind the scenes, while alter code, so far, seems like “hey, there is some evil force we need to prevent to ressurge by collecting X item, fighting Y evil guys, save the world”
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-12-10 18:22:48  
Playing our 100th session of an ongoing D&D campaign today. Definitely the longest-running game I've ever played to date.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2022-12-10 18:29:00  
Idiot Boy said: »
It is, but the first one has been remade a bit and the remake (Alter Code: F) isn't quite as tight. More playable characters, etc. I liked the simplicity of the original better.

I haven't played one since 3, didn't know they made any after that, apparently they had a smaller release.

There was apparently a spiritual successor going around on crowdfunding recently, I'll have to find the link later.

YouTube Video Placeholder

Indeed, indeed.

IIRC WA 1 is available on PS5 for download, as a classic or whatever.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-12-10 19:17:38  
Playing our 100th session of an ongoing D&D campaign today. Definitely the longest-running game I've ever played to date.

[+]
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2022-12-10 19:27:09  
Idiot Boy said: »

WA4 has surprisingly grown on me. I need to continue streaming WA3 for friends one day

Maybe.. lol
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2022-12-10 20:11:24  
My particular favorite parts of Wild Arms 1 are:

Zed all the way up to the blind girl in the village after nearly everything is over. *cries*

Lady Harken on the wedding ship

The aforementioned chaining scene

Mother

The Elw Pyramids

The Magic Crest creation system

The Optional Boss Summoning Tool (Frickin' Boss Bringin' Banjo!)
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2022-12-10 21:34:12  
Asura.Vyre said: »
(Frickin' Boss Bringin' Banjo!)
Pics or clips please.

I have no idea what this game you are talking about is but that sounds RAD.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2022-12-10 22:14:49  
The Optional Boss Summoning Tool (Frickin' Boss Bringin' Banjo!)

Take my like for this truth alone, lol

Garuda.Chanti said: »
(Frickin' Boss Bringin' Banjo!)
Pics or clips please.

I have no idea what this game you are talking about is but that sounds RAD.

Low res image but here you go.

Wild Arms has traversal tools you use to solve puzzles in the game. This particular tool though, it just used to summon big baddies to fight against and is used to get some optional super bosses too.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-12-10 22:39:15  
Hey. Canadians. Get me a roll of the new Black Ringed Toonies. These are the single coolest (standard currency) coins ever.

Please and thank you.

I would just drive over the bridge but I'm not sure if American scum are legal in Canada again yet. Ottawa and Winnipeg are too far QQ

(canda apparently has a bunch of cool as *** special toonies)
Quote:
glow in the dark northern lights toonie
Beats the ***out of our whack *** State Quarters and boring *** dollar coins.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2022-12-10 22:52:41  
A roll is 50 bucks

So like 300k gil
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-12-10 22:56:15  
You's off by some zeros. Canadian math is weird though, so.

How many maple syrups and/or hockey pucks?

$12 each on ebay already, 200 sold.
By Pantafernando 2022-12-11 11:38:35  
Oh, great...

It seems like my TV circuit just got burned...

Not my lucky day/month/year.
First Page 2 3 ... 22323 22324 22325 ... 22573 22574 22575