Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 21842 21843 21844 ... 22573 22574 22575
 Asura.Ethic
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: ethic
By Asura.Ethic 2021-04-15 09:57:55  
Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
Asura.Ethic said: »
who here's been to college?
Structural engineering :D

sweet, yeah i'm not that big-brained

im a phil major
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-04-15 10:16:04  
im a phil major
Philosophy was one of my favourite courses in university. Our professor always left each class with a cliffhanger to stew in our brains for a couple of days. And his next class was in the same building as mine so I regularly had opportunities to pick his brain.

It left a really big impression on me, actually.
 Asura.Ethic
By Asura.Ethic 2021-04-15 10:18:24  
im a phil major
Philosophy was one of my favourite courses in university. Our professor always left each class with a cliffhanger to stew in our brains for a couple of days. And his next class was in the same building as mine so I regularly had opportunities to pick his brain.

It left a really big impression on me, actually.

its a great subject. i saw a lecture once where the presenter described one of the strengths of philosophy as "taking the mundane or unconsidered and transforming it into something weird".
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2021-04-15 10:45:49  
I just paid for cursors. I have transcended to another plane of capitalist
[+]
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2021-04-15 11:30:25  

im a phil major
Where can that take you in 5-10 years practically?
My mind goes to a teaching degree and to teach philosophy but there must be more career paths you know of that I’m missing.
By Josiahafk 2021-04-15 11:37:13  
[+]
 Asura.Ethic
By Asura.Ethic 2021-04-15 11:50:08  
Bismarck.Josiahflaming said: »

im a phil major
My mind goes to a teaching degree and to teach philosophy but there must be more career paths you know of that I’m missing.

Good question. So for me the career path can go one of three preferable directions:

(1) Law School, phil majors do great on the LSAT, so if my grades and finances hold, that seems like a great option.

(2) Academia; This is a lofty choice, not likely to happen. But if I can prove my academic mettle, I would love to work for a university.

(3) My fallback, public school teaching. I already run a physical-virtual computer lab at a high school so it wouldn't be my favorite thing to do but would be something that would pay decent and have security.

(4) I can always open up more options by picking up a more concentrated/practical discipline to focus on in a master's program.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-04-15 12:48:48  
Bismarck.Josiahflaming said: »

im a phil major

Good question. So for me the career path can go one of three preferable directions:

(1) Law School, phil majors do great on the LSAT, so if my grades and finances hold, that seems like a great option.

(2) Academia; This is a lofty choice, not likely to happen. But if I can prove my academic mettle, I would love to work for a university.

(3) My fallback, public school teaching. I already run a physical-virtual computer lab at a high school so it wouldn't be my favorite thing to do but would be something that would pay decent and have security.

(4) I can always open up more options by picking up a more concentrated/practical discipline to focus on in a master's program.

Seems very familiar to my experiences as a music performance major. There were more of them heading to Law School and Medical School than I ever expected to run into.

As a fellow lifelong student of the humanities, bravo for dedicating your life to one of the things that makes life worth living- not every pursuit must have a concrete purpose to justify it. Some things are just worth having in the world, otherwise we might as well just be robots.
[+]
By Foxfire 2021-04-15 13:29:11  
philosophy onlyfans

sit on a chaise lounge telling people their favorite philosopher sucks
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-04-15 13:58:25  
I sure picked a good time to quit this job lol

Just caught wind that 2 of my immediate co-workers were also scouting for new jobs, and that 3 bigwigs from our parent company got sniped by far more successful competitors.
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-04-15 14:35:35  
I also found that clip.

Sing along kids; oh the things we do for money.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Negan
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2021-04-15 14:46:26  
Freehugs said: »
She flew out of the tub afterwards lol
That's what made me lol the most!
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2021-04-15 14:56:12  
nice, whats your discipline
In my teens I dropped out of an ME aeronautical program.

I eventually got a history degree in '82. I had enough math & science, about 2 years worth of credits, to make it a BS.

Edit: A friend with a philosophy BA was once asked what he expected to do with it.

"Discuss Nietzsche."
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-04-15 15:06:34  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
I had a really difficult time choosing between mechanical and civil. My thought process was that I'd probably get too frustrated trying to figure out small parts as opposed to massive-scale projects like roads and buildings.

Part of me kinda regrets it because mechanics were a childhood dream. Though I don't regret it enough to want to go back to school lol
By Pantafernando 2021-04-15 15:26:47  
Im graduated in ME but never ever worked effectively with it. Later i post graduate to safety engineering and I also never worked with it.

Last year I started software engineering classes, and I am having a blast. This one career i think its worth to work with. Not just because nowaday everything revolves around softwares, but it seems good money too.
By Xaander 2021-04-15 15:29:40  
nice, whats your discipline

I eventually got a history degree in '82. I had enough math & science, about 2 years worth of credits, to make it a BS.

Edit: A friend with a philosophy BA was once asked what he expected to do with it.

"Discuss Nietzsche."

Was the person who asked him that female? If so, the Nietzsche response was a sick burn.
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2021-04-15 15:30:08  
I was REALLY enamored with aircraft.

I eventually learned to fly. S / MEL, SES. Biggest thing I ever flew:

[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-04-15 15:40:58  
I was REALLY enamored with aircraft.

I eventually learned to fly. S / MEL, SES. Biggest thing I ever flew:
Ahhhh that's so cool!

Maybe one of these days I'll get off my butt and get my own license. And then I just need to strike it rich somehow so I can buy my own aircraft. D:
 Asura.Ethic
By Asura.Ethic 2021-04-15 16:18:28  
I had a really difficult time choosing between mechanical and civil. My thought process was that I'd probably get too frustrated trying to figure out small parts as opposed to massive-scale projects like roads and buildings.

Part of me kinda regrets it because mechanics were a childhood dream. Though I don't regret it enough to want to go back to school lol

I wish I had the discipline to succeed in those fields. I place high value in philosophy. I love it. But you guys are doing the real magic in the sandbox.
By Viciouss 2021-04-15 17:13:24  
Crossed over 850k words today, about to start on the last mission.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-04-15 17:17:27  
RE showcase going on.

RE8 Comes out soonish, RE Netflix animated series drops in july, the new reboot movie comes out soonish, RE4 VR
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-04-15 17:22:10  
I wish I had the discipline to succeed in those fields.
I'm a firm believer that variety is the spice of life. We all come from different walks, and it has a huge impact on our perceptions.

I only have an appreciation for math because of a few slip-ups in life that led me to take virtually the same lessons like 3 times over the years. Once it clicks, it clicks, and it goes from intolerable to fascinating. I wouldn't say it's so much a matter of discipline as it is tolerating it enough to make that breakthrough. And I think the same thing can be said for all things.

The unfortunate thing is that there's only so much time we get in this world. How darn cool would it be to be able to study a little bit of everything?
[+]
By Xaander 2021-04-15 17:39:18  
I wish I had the discipline to succeed in those fields.
I'm a firm believer that variety is the spice of life. We all come from different walks, and it has a huge impact on our perceptions.

I only have an appreciation for math because of a few slip-ups in life that led me to take virtually the same lessons like 3 times over the years. Once it clicks, it clicks, and it goes from intolerable to fascinating. I wouldn't say it's so much a matter of discipline as it is tolerating it enough to make that breakthrough. And I think the same thing can be said for all things.

The unfortunate thing is that there's only so much time we get in this world. How darn cool would it be to be able to study a little bit of everything?

Everything is a skill that can be learned/developed, even hard-work and discipline. I used to have a real hard time focusing on anything outside my immediate interests and it severely limited me. I started reading about random things related, but adjacent, to my interests and eventually developed a genuine love of learning. It was the best thing I ever taught myself and it really opened the world up for me.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2021-04-15 17:43:32  
I just love the thumbnail YT grabbed for my RK video. Nothing else to see here, just smiling. lol.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Dawnn 2021-04-15 18:18:08  
I'm still alive...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2021-04-15 19:43:37  
but how can you be sure?
First Page 2 3 ... 21842 21843 21844 ... 22573 22574 22575