Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 21785 21786 21787 ... 22553 22554 22555
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2021-02-22 13:43:05  
Viciouss said: »
My parents got their electric bill today, they didn't lose power as long as I did, but that didn't stop the electric company from cashing in. 200k bill.

200k bill? Wait, what?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-02-22 14:06:25  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
My parents got their electric bill today, they didn't lose power as long as I did, but that didn't stop the electric company from cashing in. 200k bill.

200k bill? Wait, what?
He didn't say what unit of currency. My guess is Pesos. That's about $9600 USD - which is more in line from what I've read in the news regarding the insane electricity bills ($5k~$15k) after the cold snap.

(I'm kidding, by the way - kinda)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
サーバ: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2021-02-22 14:33:54  
Freehugs said: »
Edit 2: Why the heck would you put apple slices in a box with hot food?!
To trick bad parents into thinking this meal is healthy.

Post deleted by User.
By Viciouss 2021-02-22 15:40:35  

200k bill? Wait, what?

Yep, it's a huge problem, millions of people are getting huge bills. Even the less egregious ones are coming in at 7k. Nobody knows what is going to happen.
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-22 15:42:39  
I can't wait to see where it goes. As soon as I heard the like $1k kw gouge, ***was about to hit the fan in a real way lol
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-02-22 15:44:51  
Did the Narrator for "Ancient Aliens" actually record the phrase "Ancient Alien Theorists say....yes" the 8,000 times its used in the show, or is it just the same cut spliced in every episode?
By Viciouss 2021-02-22 15:46:08  
It got up to like, 9k per kilowatt. Now that the partisan *** has gotten out of the way, energy companies are in the crosshairs.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-02-22 15:46:42  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
$1k kw
WHAT?!
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-22 15:48:30  
Texas has it's own powergrid. So. No regulation.

Sudden high demand = Price gouge.

(overly simplified, of course)
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-02-22 16:00:54  
Texas has it's own powergrid. So. No regulation.

Sudden high demand = Price gouge.

(overly simplified, of course)

You'd think with all their oil....
By Viciouss 2021-02-22 16:03:27  
There is an executive board that controls the power grid. I have been referring to the Chairman as the outgoing Chairman since this started. They are all dead in the water. They lied a lot before, during, and after the crisis. I'm not counting on a lot of reforms, but I bet they at least winterize the grid.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-22 16:08:01  
It doesn't snow in Texas, what're the odds it happens again. they say, counting money around the table. No need to bother winterizing now, it's not like it'll happen again.

And even if it does, it's not like there's any consequences for us.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2021-02-22 17:18:58  
I can't wait to see where it goes. As soon as I heard the like $1k kw gouge, ***was about to hit the fan in a real way lol

Yeah, I’m going to predict that none of those insanely high bills are getting paid and the energy companies are going to get beaten down hard if they try to collect.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-22 17:24:49  
So like yeah, obviously. 99% of the affected people will get the "it was an automated price increase, we'll correct it, our bad"

And ~100 people will get the tough ***, you owe it, you can do nothing about it, we already shut your electricity off, pay 10 grand for new installation.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2021-02-22 17:43:07  
So like yeah, obviously. 99% of the affected people will get the "it was an automated price increase, we'll correct it, our bad"

And ~100 people will get the tough ***, you owe it, you can do nothing about it, we already shut your electricity off, pay 10 grand for new installation.

I don't want to agree with you, but the cynic in me says... yeah, probably.

That cynicism largely comes from my experiences with utility companies when I was living in Connecticut. I can't speak for how things are in Texas, although I've had no issues in Arizona due to the lack of, you know, winter storms and all that.
By RadialArcana 2021-02-22 17:52:12  

Yeah, I’m going to predict that none of those insanely high bills are getting paid and the energy companies are going to get beaten down hard if they try to collect.

Power has to be made and that costs money, all the staff have to be paid too. If you use more power, that more power has to be made and it costs money and staff have to work overtime. This is like saying a doctor and nurses should work for free if someone is terminally ill.

If all those staff working at the power stations are not going to be paid their salary because everyone doesn't want to pay their wages, why should they goto work at all? why not just stay home and look after their family. You'll get no power to complain about then.

The government should subsidize emergencies at times like this and help pay off 50-75% of bill payments imo, I'm honestly not sure why they don't and all the hate is being put on the company that keeps people alive by meeting increased demand.

Companies can't just eat massive losses and stay in business you know.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2021-02-22 17:56:59  
RadialArcana said: »

Power has to be made and that costs money, all the staff have to be paid too. If you use more power, that more power has to be made and it costs money and staff have to work overtime. This is like saying a doctor and nurses should work for free if someone is terminally ill.

The government should subsidize emergencies at times like this and help pay off 50-75% of bill payments imo, I'm honestly not sure why they don't and all the hate is being put on the company that keeps people alive by meeting increased demand.

Companies can't just eat massive losses and stay in business you know.

I wasn't making a philosophical point, though. It was more of a pragmatic one. They're not getting paid whether one thinks the costs were justified or not.
By Jetackuu 2021-02-22 17:59:57  

*checks where I am* (ok Rooks don't murder me for saying this, but erghmhmhm)

Eat the Rich.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-22 18:00:00  
Nothing fundamentally changed. They just had an opportunity to go an inch deeper and took it to see if they could get away with it.

They didn't confirm anything with anyone, just raised the price and sent out the bills automatically. There's nothing saying that can't do that, so of course they did it.

What's that saying, never miss a good crisis or whatever.
Never let a good crisis go to waste.
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2021-02-22 18:21:09  

Can you imagine a justice or judge finding in favour of a power company in a vs Tom and Jane Texite case like that? Especially when people might be dying from this situation?

They’d be voted out immediately.
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2021-02-22 18:23:00  
200k bill? Wait, what?
Its called the magic of the free market.
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2021-02-22 18:26:27  
It doesn't snow in Texas, what're the odds it happens again. they say, counting money around the table. No need to bother winterizing now, it's not like it'll happen again.

And even if it does, it's not like there's any consequences for us.
This happened in 1989 & 2011. It will happen again.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-22 18:34:13  
It's more about greed than politics, but certainly political as well.

A thing can be many things, greed is at the base of this one.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2021-02-22 18:37:47  
The joystick transplant was a success.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2021-02-22 18:44:55  
N7 leather jacket arrived today from Italy as well. I'm gonna be the coolest kid in the cancer ward.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 21785 21786 21787 ... 22553 22554 22555