Here Is Your Holy Man, Bathed In The Blood Of Inno

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Here is your holy man, bathed in the blood of inno
Here is your holy man, bathed in the blood of inno
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 8 9 10
 Ramuh.Vinvv
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-11-24 16:50:02  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Why are you against religion Jet?

I'm against the very thoughts that cause religion, permitting illogical thinking and ignorance regardless of the truths in front of you, that doesn't make me close minded one bit.
What illogical thinking and ignorance?
Care to elaborate on why you believe it to be illogical and irrational as opposed to what you firmly believe in?

I firmly believe in nothing, short of what can be proven to me, to do otherwise would be irrational.
italicized text contradicts the underlined text.
I didn't ask you what you firmly believe in.
I'm asking you why you believe what you believe as opposed to what you believe to be "irrational thinking and ignorance", what leads you to determine what is irrational and ignorant if you say you have no belief?

care to elaborate further maybe a bit more specifically on religion.
like say why you don't believe in religion, and then say why you do believe in the lack there-of?
Make a bit more sense what I'm asking?

Bahamut.Jetackuu
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-24 16:53:10  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

I'm against the very thoughts that cause religion, permitting illogical thinking and ignorance regardless of the truths in front of you, that doesn't make me close minded one bit.
Care to elaborate on why you believe it to be illogical and irrational as opposed to what you firmly believe in?

I firmly believe in nothing, short of what can be proven to me, to do otherwise would be irrational.
I'm asking you why you believe what you believe as opposed to what you believe to be "irrational thinking and ignorance", what leads you to determine what is irrational and ignorant if you say you have no belief?

like say why you don't believe in religion, and then say why you do believe in the lack there-of?

It's supposed to, it's an exception.

I don't believe in atheism, it's not a belief it's a lack of belief, if you need that explained to you then you need more help than I can offer.

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-24 16:55:03  
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Science offers solutions, but can back them up, religion can't back up their claims, which is the logical approach?
Did you know sitting down while drinking and eating is healthier for the human body?

The Quran told us this about 1,500 years ago, but science told us this in the 1930s; which is better, if either is?

The Bible tells us bats are birds, your point?
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-11-24 16:56:54  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

I don't believe in atheism, it's not a belief it's a lack of belief, if you need that explained to you then you need more help than I can offer.
do you know what the word belief means?
belief:
Quote:
1.something believed; an opinion or conviction: a belief that the earth is flat.
confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof: a statement unworthy of belief.
confidence; faith; trust: a child's belief in his parents.
a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith: the Christian belief.

my questions still stand.

atheist is an opposite.
meaning you have to have a reason to oppose.
and if you are not smart enough to explain your beliefs you are no better than the illogical ones you are against.
 Phoenix.Smileybone
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-11-24 16:58:40  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Furthermore, removing religion would do nothing to get people to live up to your elevated standards of moral or logical thinking.

edit: It's common to remove the cause of a problem instead of dealing with the actual problem, fortunately over time people have managed to realize the fallacies of said line of thinking and are moving away from it.

I take it this is the concept you were alluding too? Since you didn't specify I'm going to assume that by the 'problem' you are referring to questions long asked by man such as, 'How did we get here?', 'What is our purpose?', etc. and that by 'dealing with the problem' you are referring to religion as an answer to those questions. I am also assuming by '...fallacies of said line of thinking and moving away from it' you mean converting to atheism.

Atheism is no more a better a solution to the 'problem' (if I interpreted it right) than religion. I believe that atheism takes the stance that there is no real solution to said 'problem', while religion usually uses a God or belief set to explain the 'problem'.

Both answer the 'problem' in their own way but I don't see how atheism's answer that there is no purpose is any better or more right than religion's.

Atheism is the lack of a belief in a god, nothing more. It doesn't offer solutions or anything else for that matter.

Atheism isn't a religion you cannot convert to it, why are you treating it as one?

Science offers solutions, but can back them up, religion can't back up their claims, which is the logical approach? People don't like that science can't give them all the answers they want or the ones they want to hear so they ignore it, which is "blissful ignorance"

Ok.

Because Atheism is a belief set. Or lack thereof (because I know some atheists get offended when people say they have beliefs).

I feel that science and religion can co-exist. I.e. Divine power created Big-Bang. Also science and logic don't always coexist. Where did the Big-Bang come from? Nowhere? Totally logical. Or maybe you believe that the universe constantly retracts and expands and that the big-bang has happened multiple times. When/how/where did the universe come into existence? I think it is quite logical to infer instead that the universe just popped into existence one day that some superlogical thing such as a Divine power (or God) created it. If you have a much more logical answer or hypothesis please share.

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-11-24 17:01:22  

Sure is Strawman and Ad hominem in here.

[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-24 17:02:00  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

belief:
Quote:
1.something believed; an opinion or conviction: a belief that the earth is flat.
confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof: a statement unworthy of belief.

atheist is an opposite.
and if you are not smart enough to explain your beliefs you are no better than the illogical ones you defame.

A lack of belief doesn't equate to a belief, again if you need that explained to you further than you need to seek it elsewhere.

People are born as atheists, I was converted to a denomination of christianity, I lost that "faith" because it made no *** sense, and because it's illogical to live in a world based upon faith It's illogical for me to replace the faith/belief.

Now as to why I believe that people are *** nuts to believe in religion, we've gone over that numerous times now haven't we?
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-24 17:03:03  
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Furthermore, removing religion would do nothing to get people to live up to your elevated standards of moral or logical thinking.

edit: It's common to remove the cause of a problem instead of dealing with the actual problem, fortunately over time people have managed to realize the fallacies of said line of thinking and are moving away from it.

I take it this is the concept you were alluding too? Since you didn't specify I'm going to assume that by the 'problem' you are referring to questions long asked by man such as, 'How did we get here?', 'What is our purpose?', etc. and that by 'dealing with the problem' you are referring to religion as an answer to those questions. I am also assuming by '...fallacies of said line of thinking and moving away from it' you mean converting to atheism.

Atheism is no more a better a solution to the 'problem' (if I interpreted it right) than religion. I believe that atheism takes the stance that there is no real solution to said 'problem', while religion usually uses a God or belief set to explain the 'problem'.

Both answer the 'problem' in their own way but I don't see how atheism's answer that there is no purpose is any better or more right than religion's.

Atheism is the lack of a belief in a god, nothing more. It doesn't offer solutions or anything else for that matter.

Atheism isn't a religion you cannot convert to it, why are you treating it as one?

Science offers solutions, but can back them up, religion can't back up their claims, which is the logical approach? People don't like that science can't give them all the answers they want or the ones they want to hear so they ignore it, which is "blissful ignorance"

Ok.

Because Atheism is a belief set. Or lack thereof (because I know some atheists get offended when people say they have beliefs).

I feel that science and religion can co-exist. I.e. Divine power created Big-Bang. Also science and logic don't always coexist. Where did the Big-Bang come from? Nowhere? Totally logical. Or maybe you believe that the universe constantly retracts and expands and that the big-bang has happened multiple times. When/how/where did the universe come into existence? I think it is quite logical to infer instead that the universe just popped into existence one day that some superlogical thing such as a Divine power (or God) created it. If you have a much more logical answer or hypothesis please share.

Religion and the ignorance that breeds it directly defies the scientific method, they cannot co-exist.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-11-24 17:04:42  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

belief:
Quote:

atheist is an opposite.
and if you are not smart enough to explain your beliefs you are no better than the illogical ones you defame.

A lack of belief doesn't equate to a belief, again if you need that explained to you further than you need to seek it elsewhere.

People are born as atheists, I was converted to a denomination of christianity, I lost that "faith" because it made no *** sense, and because it's illogical to live in a world based upon faith It's illogical for me to replace the faith/belief.

Now as to why I believe that people are *** nuts to believe in religion, we've gone over that numerous times now haven't we?
How can you say that when you don't even believe what you say?

bolded related terms.

none of this happened, you believe it happen and you have no proof otherwise.
I can be just as difficult as you are.
You can say something doesn't make sense, but without putting information as to why you believe what you believe you are just as bad as the ones with faith.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-24 17:04:56  
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
I don't get how you can keep dodging questions and just end up saying other people are ignorant and irrational if they don't agree with you, but yet you're afraid to learn about yourself?

I know myself quite well thank you, and what questions am I dodging? Everyone (including me) is ignorant about many things, however I don't feel the need to be crazy and put religion in place of my ignorance, I rather search for logical answers to the questions, when people accept things that don't make sense instead of continuously searching for the answers is where we have a problem, and that's the problem with religion.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-24 17:06:13  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

belief:
Quote:

atheist is an opposite.

We going to continue to beat around the misuse of the words "faith" and "belief"?
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-24 17:06:51  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

belief:
Quote:

atheist is an opposite.

bolded related terms.

none of this happened, you believe it happen and you have no proof otherwise.

The bible's sitting on my shelf and receipts from bible camp say otherwise.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-11-24 17:06:54  
Quote:
I think it is quite logical to infer instead that the universe just popped into existence one day that some superlogical thing such as a Divine power (or God) created it. If you have a much more logical answer or hypothesis please share.

This is pretty much why religion started in the first place.. People struggle to understand the world around them, but have not the scientific progress to do so, so they attribute it to some divine presence..

Just because we cannot provide the answers at this time, doesn't mean there isn't one.

Of course, there's always the chance that there is indeed a God, and that it is the creator of everything we know today, then again, it's also possible in the future we will make bounds and leaps ahead in science than what we're at now, and we will be able to answer how everything started, we might be able to explain away everything, without having to involve some all-powerful deity.

I am Agnostic, but often claim to be Atheist, I don't discount the possibility of there being some all-powerful being/consciousness, but I very highly doubt it, so that's why I tend to call myself Atheist, even though, technically I am indeed Agnostic.
 Titan.Wombat
サーバ: Titan
user: Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2010-11-24 17:07:52  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Titan.Wombat said:
There's nothing "holy" about this guy. Like the article said, he's evil.
Creating a priestly hierarchy is among the greatest blunders in Roman Catholicism. Placing elevated spiritual authority in the hands of those who desire it, is at odds with everything Christianity is supposed to stand for.
you mean murder, corruption, rape, pillaging, eternal suffering?

I said "everything Christianity is supposed to stand for," not "what the Catholic church has done."

Honestly, I've been reading your posts for months now and I've never seen you correctly state anything about Christian doctrine or accurately interpret a biblical passage. You've regurgitated misunderstandings and posted out-of-context verses over and over and over and over and over and--

Outside of "eternal suffering," everything on your list is just stuff that people do. (By the way: the idea of what exactly "Hell" is, or if it even exists, is a highly debated point in Christianity.)

Lust, greed, and egocentrism will not cease to exist if science ruled the world. Thus, all of your hate of religion is pointless because humans are human and will continue murdering, raping, pillaging, and being corrupt for as long as that's the case.

You're wrong when you say that religious thought necessarily rejects rational or scientific thought. There are camps of religious people who prey on the uneducated and force that kind of garbage down people's throats. That's who you don't like. But that is not the basis of religion. At it's core, religion is about better understanding the world; science and logic aid in that process.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-11-24 17:08:28  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

How do you know they came from bible camp?
Your memories right?
Illogical.
Hell how do you know if that the bible is really there.
You are just depending on the reliability of your senses.
You have a "belief" that they are correct.

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-11-24 17:12:55  
By the way, I'm from the crowd that doesn't believe whole-heartedly in the God of Man.
If you believe in one hand that God was made by man, you have to accept the fact that the scientific method is also created by man.
The difference between the two is the punchline.
Interesting information on both sides of the field in reference to all of that.(proving/disproving god)
But it's still in what-if land either way.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-24 17:13:34  
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
I don't get how you can keep dodging questions and just end up saying other people are ignorant and irrational if they don't agree with you, but yet you're afraid to learn about yourself?
I know myself quite well thank you, and what questions am I dodging? Everyone (including me) is ignorant about many things, however I don't feel the need to be crazy and put religion in place of my ignorance, I rather search for logical answers to the questions, when people accept things that don't make sense instead of continuously searching for the answers is where we have a problem, and that's the problem with religion.
Yes, religion does make you accept and deny certain things, but so does science; accepting and comparing the both is better imo.

Science only make you accept/deny reality, so if you like being a crazy delusional *** go ahead, don't live in reality be a religious nut job.
 Phoenix.Smileybone
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-11-24 17:14:43  
Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Quote:
I think it is quite logical to infer instead that the universe just popped into existence one day that some superlogical thing such as a Divine power (or God) created it. If you have a much more logical answer or hypothesis please share.

This is pretty much why religion started in the first place.. People struggle to understand the world around them, but have not the scientific progress to do so, so they attribute it to some divine presence..

Just because we cannot provide the answers at this time, doesn't mean there isn't one.

Of course, there's always the chance that there is indeed a God, and that it is the creator of everything we know today, then again, it's also possible in the future we will make bounds and leaps ahead in science than what we're at now, and we will be able to answer how everything started, we might be able to explain away everything, without having to involve some all-powerful deity.

I am Agnostic, but often claim to be Atheist, I don't discount the possibility of there being some all-powerful being/consciousness, but I very highly doubt it, so that's why I tend to call myself Atheist, even though, technically I am indeed Agnostic.

I don't believe that we will ever be able to explain the creation of the universe. Also, a divine power doesn't have to be all-powerful or omnipresent, but I definitely respect your opinion and can relate to it.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-24 17:15:37  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

Your memories right?
Illogical.

In the realm we live in, it is, it's the very concept of reality.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-11-24 17:17:11  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

Your memories right?
Illogical.

Illogical.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-24 17:17:15  
Quote:

If you don't have a belief in a god, you are by definition an atheist, regardless of any other section you put yourself in.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-24 17:17:27  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

Your memories right?
Illogical.

Illogical.

How?
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-11-24 17:20:23  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

Your memories right?
Illogical.

Illogical.

How?
If you need that explained to you then you need more help than I can offer.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-11-24 17:20:44  
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Quote:

I don't believe that we will ever be able to explain the creation of the universe. Also, a divine power doesn't have to be all-powerful or omnipresent, but I definitely respect your opinion and can relate to it.
I don't really believe so either, I was just saying that it's always possible..
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-24 17:20:52  
Titan.Wombat said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Titan.Wombat said:
There's nothing "holy" about this guy. Like the article said, he's evil.
Creating a priestly hierarchy is among the greatest blunders in Roman Catholicism. Placing elevated spiritual authority in the hands of those who desire it, is at odds with everything Christianity is supposed to stand for.
you mean murder, corruption, rape, pillaging, eternal suffering?

I said "everything Christianity is supposed to stand for," not "what the Catholic church has done."

I stated what it stands for, read the damned bible.

Honestly, I've been reading your posts for months now and I've never seen you correctly state anything about Christian doctrine or accurately interpret a biblical passage. You've regurgitated misunderstandings and posted out-of-context verses over and over and over and over and over and--

Prove it

Outside of "eternal suffering," everything on your list is just stuff that people do. (By the way: the idea of what exactly "Hell" is, or if it even exists, is a highly debated point in Christianity.)

It's in the bible

Lust, greed, and egocentrism will not cease to exist if science ruled the world. Thus, all of your hate of religion is pointless because humans are human and will continue murdering, raping, pillaging, and being corrupt for as long as that's the case.

Pay attention to the thread a little more, this has already been addressed.

You're wrong when you say that religious thought necessarily rejects rational or scientific thought. There are camps of religious people who prey on the uneducated and force that kind of garbage down people's throats. That's who you don't like. But that is not the basis of religion. At it's core, religion is about better understanding the world; science and logic aid in that process.

No, again pay attention to the thread, this has been covered. It is the basis of religion. Science and religion are opposites.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-24 17:21:23  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

Your memories right?
Illogical.

Illogical.

How?
If you need that explained to you then you need more help than I can offer.
Kay.
 Phoenix.Smileybone
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-11-24 17:21:24  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Quote:

If you don't have a belief in a god, you are by definition an atheist, regardless of any other section you put yourself in.

Yeah, because it's totally about how others label us, not how we label ourselves.
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 8 9 10