Minecraft, Another Web Browser Blunder Or A Gem In

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Arcade » Minecraft, another web browser blunder or a gem in
Minecraft, another web browser blunder or a gem in
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
サーバ: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-12-20 13:46:07  
Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
And they hit Beta :) They're updating the site now.

Currently 845,478 copies sold @ $13.10 (current exchange of 10 euro to dollar) = $11,075,761.80. Not bad for an indy game in Alpha!
I wonder if that's more than FFXIV has made thus far?
Made? I don't think FFXIV has made any money. 4+? years of development costs, bad reviews = poor sales and not charging any monthly fees.
Well I'm not talking made in that sense.. I mean the money they made off all the copies they've sold.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-12-20 13:52:37  
Lets say a programmer could expect to make 200k/year. Tossing an excessively large number out there.

"Minecraft is developed by Markus Persson. It's been under development since about May 10, 2009."

1.5 years = 300k at that ridiculously inflated salary. Maybe 200k in bandwidth fees and whatnot. Thats easily 10.5m in profits. I know you are talking about number of copies of XIV sold at $60/$80, but you also you have to factor in production costs to be fair.

Do you know how many people worked on XIV and for how long?
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-12-20 13:58:06  
Ugh -.- I'm just simply curious if FFXIV has generated more income from copies of the game sold (and copies of the game sold period, no dev costs, none of that ***.) or if Minecraft has.

I'm not talking about net profits, I'm talking about total revenue generated from selling copies of either game.

It's a simple question/curiosity, quit trying to over-complicate it.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-01-03 11:49:14  
Notch.Minecraft said:
So it’s the first working day of the year, and we’ve got two more people in the office now. Carl Manneh and Tobias Möllstam. And we’ve got the entire office as well now.

AND.. just a few minutes ago, I found out that Minecraft got three nominations for the Independent Games Festival (Grand Prize, Technical Excellence, and Excellence In Design). So this means I definitely will be going to the GDC this year! :D

On Wednesday, we’ll have a strategy meeting of sorts and try to work out some vague plans and try to decide how to drive Minecraft beta development and try to define what the finished game will actually be. We won’t start work on modding or anything like that before then.

But! We (especially Jens) have added a bunch of new content to Minecraft that we want to get out asap, so there will be a content patch update next week with a whole pile of fun new toys, including a water mob and quite possibly paint if we can figure out how exactly it should work.

(Oh, and Minecraft will hit 1 million sales soon, and I have NO idea how to celebrate that! There’s no time to plan anything!)
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-01-06 16:57:55  
Quote:
They love the fact it's a game that was recommended to them not by an ad campaign, or a magazine that jostled for an exclusive review, but by their friends.

Just like the olden days. That's why Minecraft has been such a hit. And it shows there's room for plenty more games like it.
http://kotaku.com/5724989/why-minecraft-is-so-damn-popular
 Sylph.Shadowfox
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadowfox 2011-01-06 18:22:54  
On nerdyshow.com's public server you can see a whole bunch of 8-bit characters, along with massive creations. and also, my USAF logo :D
(Open Spoiler to view)
 Asura.Karbuncle
サーバ: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-01-06 18:30:16  
Should just google Minecraft creations lol

Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-01-06 18:30:36  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Notch.Minecraft said:
So it’s the first working day of the year, and we’ve got two more people in the office now. Carl Manneh and Tobias Möllstam. And we’ve got the entire office as well now.

AND.. just a few minutes ago, I found out that Minecraft got three nominations for the Independent Games Festival (Grand Prize, Technical Excellence, and Excellence In Design). So this means I definitely will be going to the GDC this year! :D

On Wednesday, we’ll have a strategy meeting of sorts and try to work out some vague plans and try to decide how to drive Minecraft beta development and try to define what the finished game will actually be. We won’t start work on modding or anything like that before then.

But! We (especially Jens) have added a bunch of new content to Minecraft that we want to get out asap, so there will be a content patch update next week with a whole pile of fun new toys, including a water mob and quite possibly paint if we can figure out how exactly it should work.

(Oh, and Minecraft will hit 1 million sales soon, and I have NO idea how to celebrate that! There’s no time to plan anything!)
I can't believe the success of a simple indie game.. It's just astounding to me that he has made millions off this game, and it doesn't appear to be slowing down anytime soon.
 Sylph.Shadowfox
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadowfox 2011-01-06 19:04:57  
Also keeping in mind the fact that the game isn't even complete yet.. when i paid for it, it was still in Alpha, and just recently hit Beta. . .
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-01-06 19:12:29  
Sylph.Shadowfox said:
Also keeping in mind the fact that the game isn't even complete yet.. when i paid for it, it was still in Alpha, and just recently hit Beta. . .
Yeah same here, my wife bought it just a couple days before Beta went in effect too...

If anyone has any ideas for what they'd like to see done/added to Minecraft, go here. There's some really interesting ideas there already, the more liked an idea is and the more attention it gets, the more likely it is to be implemented. Someone suggested we be able to make a display case, like take whatever item you want to be displayed and put it in the middle spot on the crafting bench then surround it with glass, you could then take that item and place it somewhere as a block.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2011-01-06 19:15:43  
So whats the aim of this game? Like what do you do besides build stuff?
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-01-06 19:22:26  
Explore and build, that's pretty much it. It's basically Legos, except you actually have to go find your blocks rather than pull them out of a drawer or something.

I love this game, and I absolutely loved Legos as a kid, I could spend hours and hours playing with them, so I can spend hours and hours playing this. If you liked Legos as a kid or you have a strong creative side, you'd probably love this game.

Despite it's simplicity I haven't been so addicted or put so much effort into a game in a very long time. You can pirate an older version to try to see if you actually like it, Alpha 1.0.15 I believe is the version I had...
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-01-07 01:49:31  
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
So whats the aim of this game? Like what do you do besides build stuff?
Well, you can play without monsters and just create and explore. Or you can play survival and put the difficulty setting on Hard. When the sun goes down baddies come out. You need to build a shelter and survive the night. There are natural caves to explore and the world can generate up to 8 times the surface of the earth. There isn't a story or really a goal in the game as of right now. Don't let that fool you though, you'll spend hours (or days) exploring a single cave system, get lost, get the crap scared out of you, etc. They're still adding stuff to the game fairly regularly and even a new mob type in the next update (this week?).

I think you can play a free version on minecraft.net, or like mentioned above pirate an older version and test it out. Thats what I did back in August.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-01-09 17:18:26  
Was going to link this here awhile ago, but forgot to.

This may come in handy for anyone who wants to take a picture and turn it into building plans. I'm not sure how well it would work for colored pixel art, I mostly just use it to map out the outline. Install it and click import and import an image (you can specify height and/or width if you want).

Pretty simple to use.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-01-10 05:54:08  
So I've been playing on a server called discovr chaos and it's like any server apart from it's PVP. You spawn in a village which is PVP protected which has a bank and stuff and a trading box... but once you go to the mainland all bets are off. Most people have kinda gone in little factions and built bases, well I've totally gone bandit on their ***. I found this nice little castle and started totally pillaging it.

I could work for my own stuff but instead I've been raiding villages and taking stuff. I've been killed quite a few times by people on defence, but it's super satisfying to go with a group of rl friends and totally pillage a village.

It's hard though, they're getting smarter. I've started destroying torches so monsters will spawn in there and I'll be able to move around whilst they're busy with monsters if I'm alone :D

People have been getting pissed but I feel like a pirate yar har.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-01-10 05:55:30  
Oh and you're not allowed to destroy stuff like chests, just steal what's inside them.

It's kinda cool, things are prop protected to stop destruction but you can steal stuff easy enough. Only thing that isn't prop protected is dirt.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-01-13 10:37:31  
They sold their 1,000,000th copy yesterday. Awesome!

Also, just saw this vid on reddit, I thought it was pretty funny ;)

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-01-17 10:59:01  
The latest update added music blocks. Here's the Portal song (the cake ISN'T a lie!):

Fenrir.Terminus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-01-17 11:20:43  
Caitsith.Jessie said:
This game is great. Worth every penny. Although it's probably more addicting than The Sims, so be careful. XD

I was getting interested up until this point... I could. Not. Stop. Playing. Sims.
 Diabolos.Delson
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Delson
By Diabolos.Delson 2011-01-17 17:08:12  
been playing the free version forever.

their websites being slow atm... and i cant play :(
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-01-26 14:10:51  
Zero Punctuation: Minecraft
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2680-Minecraft

Even if you don't like the game or care about it, Yahtzee's reviews are always fun to watch!
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-01-26 14:17:02  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
So I've been playing on a server called discovr chaos and it's like any server apart from it's PVP. You spawn in a village which is PVP protected which has a bank and stuff and a trading box... but once you go to the mainland all bets are off. Most people have kinda gone in little factions and built bases, well I've totally gone bandit on their ***. I found this nice little castle and started totally pillaging it.

I could work for my own stuff but instead I've been raiding villages and taking stuff. I've been killed quite a few times by people on defence, but it's super satisfying to go with a group of rl friends and totally pillage a village.

It's hard though, they're getting smarter. I've started destroying torches so monsters will spawn in there and I'll be able to move around whilst they're busy with monsters if I'm alone :D

That seems kinda fun... What do you steal and why? Do you use what you steal or are you just stealing it steal it lol.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-01-26 15:37:38  
Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

That seems kinda fun... What do you steal and why? Do you use what you steal or are you just stealing it steal it lol.

Bit of both. For some reason someone had a chest full of doors so I stole all the doors lol.

I have stole a few diamonds though, they hid the chest under a tree but someone in the village let me know where it was for a small cut.
By Aless 2011-01-26 15:59:14  
Actually my friend and I keep up a Minecraft Funny Blog and Minecraft Server for those who are worthy... All of this happens during the day while we're at work though lol

MinecraftLove.com
[+]
By Aless 2011-01-26 16:01:46  
If people want to join a happy server. With mobs on, pvp and no cheats, let me know by the way! IM me through here or through the site :D
 Bahamut.Arouis
サーバ: Bahamut
user: arouis
By Bahamut.Arouis 2011-01-26 16:02:56  
Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
Zero Punctuation: Minecraft
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2680-Minecraft

Even if you don't like the game or care about it, Yahtzee's reviews are always fun to watch!

^ This
 Ragnarok.Dani
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Lardan
By Ragnarok.Dani 2011-01-26 16:15:36  
I just love this story. i think Markus is from my home town Umeå and every kid you talk to play this game. The dude made 1 mil swedish kr in one working day (8hrs) first day selling, if i understood things right from what i read.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-02-18 09:50:27  

*Edit: Just saw this was already posted in Pics that make you lol again thread here
 Siren.Clinpachi
サーバ: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2011-02-19 20:53:18  
I'm not sure how many of you run servers or use mods, but if you upgraded to 64x64 textures for HD look you may be interested in SDK's gun mod.

I just worked on some pretty heavy textures for the mod and i am extremely pleased with the outcome.

Clinpachi's SDK Textures (64x64)
Download Link: http://rapidshare.com/files/448869917/Clinpachi_s_SDK_Textures_64x64.rar

Remember this is only if you upgraded from 16x16 textures to 64x64 for HD or other related textures.

Desert Eagle

Shotgun

MP5

AK-47

SSG-550

AWP Sniper Rifle

Flame Thrower

Gatling Gun

Rocket Launcher

Laser-Guided Rocket Launcher

Frag Grenade

Flash bang Grenade

Smoke Grenade

Sticky Grenade

Grappling Hook

Nuke

You'll notice right off the bat the MP5 and the AK47 look similar to the other guys, as it turns out we found the same google search image for those two to base on lol. All of the others i had to dig pretty hard for.

I also upgraded ALL other images including ammo, rockets, casings, blocks, and equipment to 64x64 as well but I'm not going to take a picture of them all lol. The blocks for spawners and sentry guns were kept the same but enlarged to 64x64 and look the exact same for consistency.

Below is an example of more image upgrades.

I hope you all enjoy it and if there's ever any problems with the download link just let me know and ill come back here and fix it. Email me at Clinpachi@gmail.com for that if needed. I am also well aware of the white outlining on some items such as bullets, you really can't get rid of it without destroying the quality and those were the best result i came up with.

Download Link: http://rapidshare.com/files/448869917/Clinpachi_s_SDK_Textures_64x64.rar
 Fenrir.Enternius
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Enternius
By Fenrir.Enternius 2011-02-19 21:06:49  
I wish I knew how to get mods to work. D:

I hate downloading programs that run other programs that I have to download, just to run mods.

If you don't mind dumbing the mod process down for me, I would use it, lol.