tons of anon traders running from npc to MH
First Page 2
 Diabolos.Kaika
サーバ: Diabolos
Game: FFXI
user:
By Diabolos.Kaika 2009-01-27 08:19:05
| Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Yesterday I had warped from WG to Bastok, and noticed something odd.

I was seeing players running from "Proud bear" (NPC next to conrad OP npc) to other players and then to the mh.

It was real organized, and they switched names every couple of trades. Id see new combinations of xxbbs xxssj random names anon.

Now my first impression is possible person who has a ton of mules. So I took the chance to interfere with the trades.

I got the trade box a few times but they would put 1 gill and one of them put 11 crystals one time.

But as soon as they saw me trying to interrupt there trading a third guy would emerge and attempt to trade me. Then they would /wave constantly and keep trying to trade.

I called a GM but they couldn't do anything. But sitting there for a bit i saw about 20ish names, and more kept coming out.

Thoughts?
 Cerberus.Saiya
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-01-27 08:26:46  
A hands-on attempt at a scrambling device? To do so many transactions in a small area among other people to try and avoid the bigger transaction being detected by SE?

I have no idea what parameters they sue to monitor in-game item/gil traffic, so this is just wild speculation ^^;
 Bahamut.Lyle
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Lyle 2009-01-27 08:28:09  
wow. so they were like a trail of ants? lol
 Diabolos.Kaika
user:
By Diabolos.Kaika 2009-01-27 08:31:02
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Lyle said:
wow. so they were like a trail of ants? lol

Yeah you could basically say so, but there were only a few outside at a time. And there was at least one standing next to the NPC by the MH just chilling there while others traded him as well.

But as soon as i started bothering they swapped him out with another character
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-01-27 08:40:30  
That sounds like a gang lol in bastok
サーバ: Remora
By Remora.Disintegration 2009-01-27 09:42:43  
Are you sure this wasn't some sort of dream you had last night? :)
 Sylph.Uchisokonau
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Uchisokonau 2009-01-27 09:50:35  
I saw something very similar to this on Slyph the past week or so. A few xxbb or xxss (etc...) would sit at woodworking guild shop appearing to be afk. Then every minute or so I would see a different named xa.. (xabb, xadd, etc.) come up the heads on the xx named characters would turn then they would leave. This continued constantly for as long as I was crafting there.
 Diabolos.Kaika
user:
By Diabolos.Kaika 2009-01-27 09:59:07

No dream lol.

But Uchisokonau is right, the names were not just limited to the xx's it was other random letters. I have a list at home (currently at work) with a couple names.

But they were extremely active while i was watching them run about back and forth.
 Fairy.Tbest
サーバ: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-01-27 11:04:55  
RMT? Naah... They're just training for the "Relay" portion of the next Vana'diel Olympics!
 Ifrit.Edric
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Edric
By Ifrit.Edric 2009-01-27 20:40:02  
I've been seeing the same thing going on. Tons of people with strange RMT names, running from the MH in Bastok Mines, to the Proud Bear or whatever his name is (the guy that sells the starter armor) NPC, then to Leonie to the right of the mog house. They'd run up and target Leonie (who does nothing but tell you, "there's the MH" basically), and after a few seconds, disappear into thin air. They'd also pop out and trade with each other before running back and forth to Proud Bear and Leonie, doing the disappearing act. Note that when they'd disappear, they'd zone out of MH a few seconds later. I called a GM and he said he'd investigate, but it's still going on to some degree. I cannot even imagine what the RMT are up to this time, but they're obviously using some kind of position hack or exploit.
 Diabolos.Kaika
user:
By Diabolos.Kaika 2009-01-30 08:53:07

i just encountered the same situation as edric last night. Got the GM to do an investigation.

Haven't seen any other activity like this anywhere else, has anyone on other services seen this going on in the mines?
 Ifrit.Haseyo
サーバ: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-01-30 09:08:38

Next update: "The NPC "Proud Bear" has been removed. Why? Well...it just is."
 Pandemonium.Luignata
サーバ: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-01-30 10:10:39

I suspect it's RMT trying to confuse/delay SE by creating a massive amount of logs all involving small items. Then they'll most likely occasionally stick a large trade in there to try and blend it into the small ones.

The second alternative is the new RMT PWNER tool they have, it may be an attempt to delay/confuse/crash the new program by creating long logs, repeating logs, logs that will take it from player A to player B, to player C, back to player A, back to player b, etc. etc.

That's what I think it may be. Just RMT trying to make SE's life hell by creating massive amounts of logs for SE to go through and try to make sense of.
 Ragnarok.Albender
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Albender
By Ragnarok.Albender 2009-01-30 10:15:02  
Whatever it is, sounds too weird to be legal.
So, as you all did, just report to a [GM]

:-)
 Sylph.Decimus
サーバ: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2009-01-30 10:40:32  
Is there a chance they're just creating tons of new characters to get the initial 250 gil or whatever it is? It seems like a lot of work for such little gil, but it's not below some people.
 Hades.Ganesha
サーバ: Hades
user: Niopha
By Hades.Ganesha 2009-01-30 11:19:20  
10g start 50g for coupon trade, RMT aren't that depserate. They're trying to confuse the RMT PWNER tool.
 Carbuncle.Sterling
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2009-01-30 11:31:43  
I've been watching these guys for months now on Carbuncle. I have atleast half an hour of recordings of them that I've been taking for the past 5+ months. I'm supposing that its a botting program that sells all the gear they're wearing and trades the gil to one main standing outside the MH, then they logout and create a new character. Oh, and their names all started with "Car" for the first few months I watched them, then it just got more random. They're also all /away and have the same hume face.
 Bahamut.Bojack
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2009-01-30 11:33:03  
Edric said:
They'd run up and target Leonie (who does nothing but tell you, "there's the MH" basically), and after a few seconds, disappear into thin air. They'd also pop out and trade with each other before running back and forth to Proud Bear and Leonie, doing the disappearing act. Note that when they'd disappear, they'd zone out of MH a few seconds later.

Leonie is the NPC that lets you enter a party member's MH, I would assume that's what they were doing, not a pos hack lol. Probably just doing their trades inside of one of their MH's.
 Ragnarok.Anye
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-01-30 12:23:31  
Ganesha said:
10g start 50g for coupon trade, RMT aren't that depserate. They're trying to confuse the RMT PWNER tool.

I defintely agree with this. Good job reporting them, guy;, at least now SE has an idea on their tactics. I wonder if SE keeps track of TOTAL gil distributed.....
 Titan.Azarasi
サーバ: Titan
user: azarashi
By Titan.Azarasi 2009-01-30 12:52:30  
I can only assume its some crazy RMT scheme

Damn RMT seem like Team Rocket sometime
 Lakshmi.Wardens
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-01-30 14:18:02  
Team Rocket blasts off agaaaaaaiiin!!! xD
 Fairy.Lethewaters
サーバ: Fairy
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2009-01-30 14:47:21  
Edric said:
They'd run up and target Leonie (who does nothing but tell you, "there's the MH" basically), and after a few seconds, disappear into thin air. They'd also pop out and trade with each other before running back and forth to Proud Bear and Leonie, doing the disappearing act. Note that when they'd disappear, they'd zone out of MH a few seconds later. I called a GM and he said he'd investigate, but it's still going on to some degree. I cannot even imagine what the RMT are up to this time, but they're obviously using some kind of position hack or exploit.

I use my mule acct for this. My mules has a ton of crystals or mats so I just log on one and send either the mats or crystals to my main acct. I log into the 2nd character who has the other items (usually mats as I send the crystals to me). Invite the mule to Party and open my MH. Enter the mule who I get the mats from and trade some of my gear to.

Why do I do this? When you are short on space it helps. That and it gives me more access to mats/crystals then logging in and out.

I have seen this on Fairy but its from the MH to the AH with about 3 different cahracters and not in a Party. They are on the majority of teh day and seem to be in the Markets during the Mid-day and Mines at night. I always found it odd that they run back and forth.

The difference between my mule and them? Mule only zones in once, not numerous times. It could be RMT activity or it could be another player attempting something similar to me. The only thing odd thing is once my mule enters the MH I boot it from the PT.
 Diabolos.Kaika
user:
By Diabolos.Kaika 2009-01-30 14:51:31

Bojack said:
Edric said:
They'd run up and target Leonie (who does nothing but tell you, "there's the MH" basically), and after a few seconds, disappear into thin air. They'd also pop out and trade with each other before running back and forth to Proud Bear and Leonie, doing the disappearing act. Note that when they'd disappear, they'd zone out of MH a few seconds later.

Leonie is the NPC that lets you enter a party member's MH, I would assume that's what they were doing, not a pos hack lol. Probably just doing their trades inside of one of their MH's.

Yeah i was really thinking about this. I checked to see if they were logged off but they were still on when i woke up in the morning.

But at least I got a GM to take some effort to see what they are doing.
 Asura.Kathlyn
サーバ: Asura
user: Kathlyn
By Asura.Kathlyn 2009-02-09 19:50:09  
Saw the same thing on Asura today.
They all logged at the same NPC : Pirvidiauce.
I called a GM too. It was the 1st time he saw this.
 Pandemonium.Sepihroth
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Sepihroth 2009-02-09 20:23:51  
I wouldn't worry about it, there's nothing big left for the rmt to do, besides, it's prob a mix of rmt and real players doing the same thing but trading different items to each other.

I do this, but it's trading crystals and gear off to a mule to hold for me or just giving the gear mule more gear to hold.

As for the crystals that they put in your trade box what were they?

Also if they give one 1 gil it's prob a real player just *** you lol

Rmt tend to up *** every now and then and put in a huge gil amount but cancel trade when they check the name.

Real player names they don't even trade. Names like their's they do. Got bored one day and did this....they put in 300k but canceled when the real mule poped out.

So mix of rmt and players.
 Lakshmi.Septroth
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Septroth 2009-02-09 20:32:42  
its rmt making characters and npcing the weapons they start with for free gil
 Titan.Azarasi
サーバ: Titan
user: azarashi
By Titan.Azarasi 2009-02-09 23:47:03  
Septroth said:
its rmt making characters and npcing the weapons they start with for free gil

They are pretty desperate, go go 1 gil per item
 Garuda.Littledarc
サーバ: Garuda
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-02-10 00:32:57  
i think they are starting new characters, selling the RSE gear to the npc, and trading the gil to someone. delete and repeat. that small gil adds up when they are doing it 24/7.
 Siren.Markii
サーバ: Siren
user: Markai
By Siren.Markii 2009-02-10 04:53:10  
Littledarc said:
i think they are starting new characters, selling the RSE gear to the npc, and trading the gil to someone. delete and repeat. that small gil adds up when they are doing it 24/7.

something like that, only you can't NPC the starting gear. just the weapons and if MNK the white belts. it sounds like a silly money laundering scheme to me.
 Ragnarok.Rusko
user: Rusko
By Ragnarok.Rusko 2009-02-10 05:47:20  
Lol... so next thing se is gonna do is take away all starting gear. You start naked <|Bio|>tch!
First Page 2