users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Geomancer » GEO observations
GEO observations
First Page 2 3 4 ... 14 15 16
 Odin.Arkista
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Arkista 2013-03-30 10:43:05  
Anyone know if the geo spells work on alliance?
By DuzellLevi 2013-03-30 13:03:20  
Party only
 Carbuncle.Shokox
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2013-03-30 13:08:45  
Ragnarok.Taereon said: »
What do you expect when you rush to cap? I learned my lesson with ToAU. Pace yourselves my friends.

Don't even have to pace. Rush to 99, obtain all of the spells, CAP YOUR SKILLS, then pass judgement after [limited] testing. That or wait for someone with more patience to do so.
By DuzellLevi 2013-03-30 13:16:58  
I can definitely see it as a mage party supporter, Geo-refresh + Indi-Focus with /rdm casting refresh.
[+]
 Odin.Arkista
By Odin.Arkista 2013-03-30 13:28:18  
DuzellLevi said: »
Party only
Thanks
By Latifah 2013-03-30 13:28:44  
i remember when SCH used to have t3 spells only @ 75, SE added stuff to sch later on and now they can use t5 nukes and other stuff, its way too premature to be disappointed on a job that it's not at full release yet

of course you will do shitty spells numbers with full teal

i bet geo will be able to use t5 spells later on, since they get nukes sooner than rdm, the job is heavy black magic usage
 Odin.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-03-30 13:31:34  
I think they said specifically that geo wasn't getting T5, because they are also a buffing/debuffing class.
By DuzellLevi 2013-03-30 13:32:44  
Also the buffs from Cardinal Chant haven't been played with yet, that could heavily affect how effective Geo is at elemental damage.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-03-30 14:31:51  
People underestimate the job.

For small-group events

My group tends to run as follows:

WHM SCH BRD Melee Melee (Melee) *We don't always have a sixth, (but when we do, etc.)

WHM offers hastes, main cures, BOOST spells, Protectra/Shellra, status removal.

SCH is, to be perfectly honest, mostly there for Regen, Stormsurge, and stun support.

BRD is there for obvious BRDish reasons.

We will probably end up replacing the SCH with a GEO when the job matures for the following reasons:

Our BRD doesn't have a third song, so we have no way to boost our Attack. We could use GEO for this, but it's more effective to reduce enemy defense if you have the choice between the two. The GEO can provide Geo-Regen and Indi-Frailty, at the sacrifice of having the GEO forced to stand in range - which is really fine because with a -DT set mages really aren't that bad off. We now have Frailty, Box Step, and Dia II on the mob and can probably reach close to the new 2.25 ratio cap for our one-handers, especially during weapon skills and we have regen, and we keep our stun support without the annoyance of switching arts.

For large-group events GEO can likely stand in range with a DT set. I suspect GEO will end up getting a good deal of Luopan DT gear and you really only need to keep them alive for 30 seconds as long as you have refresh buffs.

In this case, you can probably put the GEO in a misc party and they can stand near the mobs using Indi-Frailty and Geo-Torpor (or whatever other unique enfeeble you need for a particular mob) and provide light stun support (bonus points if the recast timer cardinal chant bonus applies to stun, but I doubt it does).

Our only current reliable source of defense down is Angon, and Geo-Frailty should stack with it. Attack+/Defense- abiities are much more dangerous to use as it stands, so this could open up some more defensive buffs. Assuming 15% for capped Indi-Frailty (it could be higher or lower, this is yet unknown) ...

(Ax)/D = A/(0.85 (frailty) * 0.75 (angon) * 459/512 (dia II) * 0.93 (presto+box step)* D)

(Attack and defense are arbitrary)

This combination of buffs reduces the target's defense by 53% which is the equivalent of a 89% attack boost. If we lose angon we reduce defense by 30% which is the equivalent of a 41% attack boost. If we go all out we can reduce the enemy's defense by 64% (Dia III, Box Step 5, Angon, Indi-Frailty set at a hyptothetical 15%), equivalent to boosting our attack by 125%. In any of these cases it would free up an attack buff from one of our traditional buffers in favor of a defensive buff.
[+]
 Bismarck.Moonlightespada
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Moonlightespada 2013-03-30 14:40:31  
Anyone fiddle around with it's new nukes yet? Kinda curious lol
By DuzellLevi 2013-03-30 14:50:12  
For all we know we could be stacking the wrong stat, Geomagic could be Charisma based, lol.
By Gimp 2013-03-30 14:56:25  
if it was, it'd be kind of awesome give chr another aspect of use
 Bismarck.Moonlightespada
MSPaint Winner
By Bismarck.Moonlightespada 2013-03-30 14:58:21  
Couldn't agree more with that.buuut it's only time before SE tells us the modifiers as long as people want it
 Cerberus.Natsuhiko
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Natsuhiko
By Cerberus.Natsuhiko 2013-03-30 15:00:31  
I tried the t1 blizzara in Abyssea w/ my usual ice atma setup. I was getting somewhere between my t2 and t3 single nukes in damage, with what I would consider a medium tier nuking set.

Also I got to go to Gaunab as a geo in the blm party, where I used macc, int, refresh and matt at different times during the fight. I was /sch, so I was trying for t2-4 and helix procs but we had enough blms that I could fall into dispel duty w/ the brd whenever preying posture was up. More on events and such as I go to them.

Edit: Did a little ja testing, but didn't find much.
 Asura.Fondue
サーバ: Asura
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2013-03-30 15:03:41  
any potential for this to be a bard subjob?
By DuzellLevi 2013-03-30 15:05:16  
Sub Geo has their indi spells only, the geos are locked. maybe if you want an extra refresh aura?
 Bismarck.Moonlightespada
MSPaint Winner
By Bismarck.Moonlightespada 2013-03-30 15:09:16  
Depends on its potency as a sub. Tho I'd guess any whould be a bonus lol
 Asura.Aikchan
user: Aikawa
By Asura.Aikchan 2013-03-30 15:33:30  
Cerberus.Natsuhiko said: »
I tried the t1 blizzara in Abyssea w/ my usual ice atma setup. I was getting somewhere between my t2 and t3 single nukes in damage, with what I would consider a medium tier nuking set.

Also I got to go to Gaunab as a geo in the blm party, where I used macc, int, refresh and matt at different times during the fight. I was /sch, so I was trying for t2-4 and helix procs but we had enough blms that I could fall into dispel duty w/ the brd whenever preying posture was up. More on events and such as I go to them.

did you cast from the right direction? to benefit from Cardinal Chant, (Enhances the effect of your elemental magic spells. Effect differs depending on direction. )

Sub Geo has their indi spells only, the geos are locked. maybe if you want an extra refresh aura?
You cant equip your bell so your buff will have 1/4 power compared as main job.
By DuzellLevi 2013-03-30 15:41:11  
Just did a fast test at 124 geo and bell, indi-chr with bell, +7, indi-chr without bell +4. Seems more like half power not 1/4.
 Asura.Aikchan
user: Aikawa
By Asura.Aikchan 2013-03-30 15:50:32  
Just did a fast test at 124 geo and bell, indi-chr with bell, +7, indi-chr without bell +4. Seems more like half power not 1/4.
as subjob you have 1/2 skills(49 vs 99) (if have them capped) and w/o bell you lose one of the skills 1/2... = 1/4 simple math..
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2013-03-30 15:53:54  
Asura.Aikchan said: »
as subjob you have 1/2 skills(49 vs 99) (if have them capped) and w/o bell you lose one of the skills 1/2... = 1/4 simple math..
Skills don't have a linear rate of growth so in theory it could be less. This also depends on if the buffs rise a set intervals or if it gets wider as you level so it could also be more.
By DuzellLevi 2013-03-30 15:55:25  
Except the cap at 49 is not half the cap at 99, if it is C like Brd, than geo and bell cap at 139 at 49, and 373 at 99. 373/139 = ~2.7
so if you want to be picky its almost 1/6th the power of a 99 main. But we are working in teirs here, and a 1-2/tic refresh aura for brd/geo might be useful from time to time.
 Asura.Fitali
user: Fitali
By Asura.Fitali 2013-03-30 15:59:29  
Saltena Food does effect handbell growth but not Geomancy.

Not tested thoroughly but without it I was getting .1/.2/.3 and it was leveling at the same pace as Geomancy. With it I started getting a lot more .4/.5 and was getting skill ups almost every cast.
 Asura.Fitali
By Asura.Fitali 2013-03-30 16:17:07  
From this thread - http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/115380-Geomancer-Findings-and-Mechanics-*Needs-More-Handbells!*

They found that casting from the West side of the mob gives MAB and casting from the south side gives increased crit chance. Also, casting at SW of mob gives half of each bonus, so in essence this could be a big dps increase if utilized properly.
[+]
By Kalley 2013-03-30 16:20:35  
Hmm I was under the assumption that the mob should be facing w/e direction of the element spell you were casting.. I.e if your casting thundara II then the mob should be to your SW(Lightning Direction) has this been proven wrong? Heading to read the BG fourm now!
 Asura.Fitali
By Asura.Fitali 2013-03-30 16:25:53  
Here's the clip from the thread about that.
Okay so I went out to Abyssea Altepa to skillup my geo stuff, and hooked up with a friend working on her GSword skill on mandies. At random I decided to try to Aerora the mandies a couple of times and realized that they were being very consistent so I did some Cardinal chant testing.

Level 39/19 Geo/Rdm
42+107 Int
Atmas: Minikin, Merciless Matriarch, Apocalypse
Ele skill capped at 115
Indi-Focus for additional MAcc (86 Geo/89 Bell, not that we have the formulas for that yet)
Done on Earthday

Casting from the North and East side of the mob resulted in every Aerora doing 130 damage exactly. Casting from the West yielded 140dmg Aerora every time. Casting from the South also gave 130dmg Aerora, but occassionally gave me double damage 260dmg nukes.

So from my very small sample size (around 80 casts) it looks like casting from the West of the mob is MAB and from the South is MCrit rate. Will require more testing but I just wanted to bring it to everyone's attention because it goes against that diagram Squeenix gave us.

=EDIT=
Couple other things of note. The direction I faced didn't matter, only where I was standing in relation to the mob.

Also. The wonky hate thing continues. Casting a Geo spell on myself created no hate, but casting it on my friend while she was engaged on the enemy periodically pulled the mob's attention to me, even if i performed no other action against it. Tested with Geo-Regen so I wasn't getting on hate list from DoT.
[+]
 Cerberus.Natsuhiko
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Natsuhiko
By Cerberus.Natsuhiko 2013-03-30 16:51:15  
Cerberus.Natsuhiko said: »

did you cast from the right direction? to benefit from Cardinal Chant, (Enhances the effect of your elemental magic spells. Effect differs depending on direction. )

In Abyssea I did try to maintain the proper direction for magic attack based on the slide in another post, and used the ja to increase it's effect. Atma used were Beyond MM Hell's Guardian.
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-03-31 02:21:36  
Fenrir.Sylow said: »
People underestimate the job.

For small-group events

My group tends to run as follows:

WHM SCH BRD Melee Melee (Melee) *We don't always have a sixth, (but when we do, etc.)

WHM offers hastes, main cures, BOOST spells, Protectra/Shellra, status removal.

SCH is, to be perfectly honest, mostly there for Regen, Stormsurge, and stun support.

BRD is there for obvious BRDish reasons.

We will probably end up replacing the SCH with a GEO when the job matures for the following reasons:

Our BRD doesn't have a third song, so we have no way to boost our Attack. We could use GEO for this, but it's more effective to reduce enemy defense if you have the choice between the two. The GEO can provide Geo-Regen and Indi-Frailty, at the sacrifice of having the GEO forced to stand in range - which is really fine because with a -DT set mages really aren't that bad off. We now have Frailty, Box Step, and Dia II on the mob and can probably reach close to the new 2.25 ratio cap for our one-handers, especially during weapon skills and we have regen, and we keep our stun support without the annoyance of switching arts.

For large-group events GEO can likely stand in range with a DT set. I suspect GEO will end up getting a good deal of Luopan DT gear and you really only need to keep them alive for 30 seconds as long as you have refresh buffs.

In this case, you can probably put the GEO in a misc party and they can stand near the mobs using Indi-Frailty and Geo-Torpor (or whatever other unique enfeeble you need for a particular mob) and provide light stun support (bonus points if the recast timer cardinal chant bonus applies to stun, but I doubt it does).

Our only current reliable source of defense down is Angon, and Geo-Frailty should stack with it. Attack+/Defense- abiities are much more dangerous to use as it stands, so this could open up some more defensive buffs. Assuming 15% for capped Indi-Frailty (it could be higher or lower, this is yet unknown) ...

(Ax)/D = A/(0.85 (frailty) * 0.75 (angon) * 459/512 (dia II) * 0.93 (presto+box step)* D)

(Attack and defense are arbitrary)

This combination of buffs reduces the target's defense by 53% which is the equivalent of a 89% attack boost. If we lose angon we reduce defense by 30% which is the equivalent of a 41% attack boost. If we go all out we can reduce the enemy's defense by 64% (Dia III, Box Step 5, Angon, Indi-Frailty set at a hyptothetical 15%), equivalent to boosting our attack by 125%. In any of these cases it would free up an attack buff from one of our traditional buffers in favor of a defensive buff.

And this is the stuff I'm prepping my GEO for <3
 Asura.Mythh
user: Ganjuh
By Asura.Mythh 2013-03-31 02:26:24  
Dunno if it's been stated but I was soloing on GEO25 and noticed regen from book and GEO spell stack :o assuming refresh does too.
[+]
 Phoenix.Marija
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Marija
By Phoenix.Marija 2013-03-31 16:40:27  
You can get skill ups learning Geo-xxxx spells. I got a .2 Geomancy when I gained Geo-MND lol
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 ... 14 15 16