フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Pld subjob in voidwatch
Pld subjob in voidwatch
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-09-05 00:33:52  
I take damn near the same amount without CS than I do with it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Dodu
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-05 00:34:27  
You severely overestimate PLD's defense, and the effect of defense in general- especially against things with extremely high base damage.
[+]
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-05 00:35:25  
Ramuh.Austar said: »
I take damn near the same amount without CS than I do with it.

^
 Sylph.Kiaru
サーバ: Sylph
user: Shiyo
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-09-05 00:37:06  
When I have berserk on, I take a lot more damage on NIN. People really need to stop thinking defense doesn't matter ._.

On BG at level 75 it was mathed out that Koisis ring provided more damage reduction than some other PDT ring options for multiple mage jobs/low def jobs, I think the 2% PDT ring? Also probably jelly ring too, can't remember.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-09-05 00:39:15  
Sylph.Kiaru said: »
When I have berserk on, I take a lot more damage on NIN. People really need to stop thinking defense doesn't matter ._.

On BG at level 75 it was mathed out that Koisis ring provided more damage reduction than some other PDT ring options for multiple mage jobs/low def jobs, I think the 2% PDT ring? Also probably jelly ring too, can't remember.
Would love to see a link to this.
[+]
 Sylph.Kiaru
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-09-05 00:39:25  
Yeah that thing, it was mathed out to give more damage reduction than some PDT rings at 75 for low defense jobs. Defense really helps, a LOT. I notice my damage taken to go up a lot when berserk is on.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-05 00:40:45  

You should have payed closer attention the the thread. It was also established that PDT was ultimately superior for keeping someone alive, because increasing your DEF does next to nothing for the things that kill you(crits. and TP moves).

And again, I'm sure Berserk makes you feebler when you're fighting a buffalo, but when you're actually being hit by something with reasonably high attack, it does not matter.

Edit: Sorry, it matters, but only about as much as every other nit-picky stat that ultimately will have no baring on one's success or failure.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-09-05 00:40:59  
Yeah that thing, it was mathed out to give more damage reduction than some PDT rings at 75 for low defense jobs. Defense really helps, a LOT. If you say you take the same damage with counterstance up as without, you are trolling or defying the game code, your pick.
The only thing defense is good for is on a shield.
[+]
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-05 00:41:31  
Yeah that thing, it was mathed out to give more damage reduction than some PDT rings at 75 for low defense jobs. Defense really helps, a LOT. If you say you take the same damage with counterstance up as without, you are trolling or defying the game code, your pick.

Learn how the game code works before you belittle a better player's understanding of it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-09-05 00:44:47  
I know there are many of the VW nms that have amnesia aura or amnesia add effect from ws. How is a mnk going to get hate back w/o provoke? Do your DDs not attack the mob at all? Does nobody pull hate at any time during the entire fight? Pld at least has flash and C4 (also the JA use when its up), monk only has melee swings/ws and provoke(which can't be used under amnesia). You should specify what a "run of the mill" group entails then. Now the next question, why use a MNK over PLD anyway? If you are claiming to help kill speed, why damage it as fast as possible before 50%ish anyway? That is when most of the damaging/hate reset/wtfstun ws come out. I would rather take that time to proc.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-05 00:47:37  
When have I said anything about killspeed? 500-800 HP matters more than unreliable shield blocking and 100 more DEF. Nothing more, nothing less. When your shield starts blocking more than 60% of the time, or it starts reducing magic damage by 90%, PLD starts to make a sizable difference. Before then, not really.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-09-05 00:49:04  
I think he was comparing non Ochain/Aegis PLD to a MNK, where the only difference is decent chunk of HP.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-09-05 00:49:37  
Okay so you are so a MNK is better defensively than a PLD for tanking? So none of the PLD JA matter, shield skill doesn't matter, and extra enmity options don't matter? How is a MNK easier on mages then, when you are face tanking through everything and requiring them to spam heal you?

Quote:
I think he was comparing non Ochain/Aegis PLD to a MNK, where the only difference is decent chunk of HP.

The only difference? I honestly am perplexed here. Is flash and all the PLD Ja/shield skill/cures completely useless? I found them almost invaluable when tanking.
[+]
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-09-05 00:50:03  
Im pretty sure she hasnt actually done VW. She did the same thing back at 75 with salvage, acting like she know all about it and said how much it sucked when she never did it till much later.

Hoenstly, Def hardly matters on harder mobs. I hardly notice a difference when I get hit by an NM with or without counterstance up.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-05 00:51:18  
I wouldn't say the only difference. There's no denying that against anything that JA-attacks, you're going to notice that you're curing the MNK more than the PLD, but its nothing that should be killing you, and nothing that isn't almost immediately recharged every time you proc a weakness. But like I've said several times, upkeep is easy. Surviving shitty run-ins with ill-timed TP moves and -ja spells is what ends a run prematurely.
 Sylph.Kiaru
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-09-05 00:51:39  
Leviathan.Draylo said: »
Okay so you are so a MNK is better defensively than a PLD for tanking? So none of the PLD JA matter, shield skill doesn't matter, and extra enmity options don't matter? How is a MNK easier on mages then, when you are face tanking through everything and requiring them to spam heal you?

Quote:

The only difference? I honestly am perplexed here. Is flash and all the PLD Ja/shield skill/cures completely useless? I found them almost invaluable when tanking.
Yeah I don't get their argument at all, also isn't shield block like 60%+ with a buckler shield, like 25% with kite shield(and best DR), and like 90% with ochain? I haven't played or looked at paladin stuff since like 2007 <______<

Please show me a vid of a MNK or a DD job tanking all T4 VW mobs with the same support/PT set up as a PLD.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-09-05 00:52:44  
Sylph.Kimble said: »
Im pretty sure she hasnt actually done VW. She did the same thing back at 75 with salvage, acting like she know all about it and said how much it sucked when she never did it till much later.

Hoenstly, Def hardly matters on harder mobs. I hardly notice a difference when I get hit by an NM with or without counterstance up.
It was always to the best of my knowledge that for most things you're fighting your DEF will either be floored on anything that matters, or capped on anything you're farming
exp/fodder mobs would be about the only thing that it matters on to the best of my understanding
oh well
back to staring at my pair of 35 usu feet I got today
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-09-05 00:53:51  
You are speaking about a perfect world then. I have done many shout groups and have yet to have a perfect fight where I was hasted 100% of the time and capped on HP. You still haven't specified what a "run of the mill" group entails, because to me that is a shout group or your average player w/o relics. Also no mention about the amnesia or if you lose hate, will your mnk never lose hate and have other means to get it back besides voke? I've gone fights where we haven't proc'd much at all towards the end/middle. DD's still have to run in and get hit by ws or otherwise, which will change the whm's focus etc.
[+]
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-05 00:53:58  
The only thing PLD JA are good for is quick hate at the start of a battle, quick hate after a hate reset(stun, ignoring the fact that hate reset moves are usually the ones tied into the ***that kills you, so having things immediately come at you is often lethal), and picking up after your shitty mages(Fealty). Once you're hate capped, cures are inefficient means to enmity maintenance.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-05 00:55:42  
Leviathan.Draylo said: »
You are speaking about a perfect world then. I have done many shout groups and have yet to have a perfect fight where I was hasted 100% of the time and capped on HP. You still haven't specified what a "run of the mill" group entails, because to me that is a shout group or your average player w/o relics. Also no mention about the amnesia or if you lose hate, will your mnk never lose hate and have other means to get it back besides voke? I've gone fights where we haven't proc'd much at all towards the end/middle. DD's still have to run in and get hit by ws or otherwise, which will change the whm's focus etc.

I don't care about shout groups, nor do I intend to teach people how to interact with them. Join a linkshell, or make friends.
 Lakshmi.Rearden
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Churchill
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2011-09-05 00:56:41  
Cocoon takes Voidwrought from 50-60 blocked to 0.

I think I'm missing like, two pieces of gear for my MNK. That encompasses PDT/MDT/WS/TP sets for in/out situations. Tanking VW on MNK is stupid above T2, and even then the only one I like tanking on MNK is the Antlion. I've even tanked Lorbuldcrud on MNK but sat in PDT gear the entire time because a non-CS regular hit was doing 400-500. For that matter, Lord Asag, Turtle, Krabkatoa, Belphoebe, Baneberry and Moira -all- hit MNK 200+ damage harder than an unblocked PLD without CS active. All of these mobs can kill you in one melee round if your HP is not topped off or follow a ws/spell with a triple attack.

Saying stun is an easy way to deal with hate resets is also silly, or your group would have no trouble killing Voidwrought if Caelano/Hahava are so easy to manage with 4 characters. It's great in theory, but MNK has zero ability to reestablish hate following said abilities. This, as said previously, is also ignoring the fact that anything less than 1500hp can be an instant death at any moment if you aren't full timing a PDT set.
[+]
 Sylph.Kiaru
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-09-05 00:57:55  
Quote:
Cocoon takes Voidwrought from 50-60 blocked to 0.
Thanks <3
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-09-05 00:59:00  
You know that most people aren't even interested in Voidwatch, again you are talking about a perfect world.

Quote:
The only thing PLD JA are good for is quick hate at the start of a battle, quick hate after a hate reset(stun, ignoring the fact that hate reset moves are usually the ones tied into the ***that kills you, so having things immediately come at you is often lethal), and picking up after your shitty mages(Fealty). Once you're hate capped, cures are inefficient means to enmity maintenance.

If you are hate capped and a mob runs off to a DD that got out of aoe range or a mage, a MNK would have to run in and smack it if voke isn't up whereas a PLD could flash or cure to get it back. PLD JA are also good for surviving ws > triple attack combo where a mnk wouldn't survive that most likely. You may say instances like that are rare, but they most certainly happen and the recast time on sentinel/rampart/fealty isn't exactly 100minutes long.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-05 00:59:00  
We can't kill Voidwrought with four people because Thunderstorm does ~900 damage, and the thing has a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE amount of HP. Unavoidable hate resets are not the norm. Your mages can't handle their jobs.
 Sylph.Kiaru
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-09-05 01:00:28  
Please show me a vid of a MNK or a DD job tanking all T4 VW mobs with the same support/PT set up as a PLD. I'm actually really curious and not trolling or anything.

I'm also curious how many hits flash actually works on, or does it make the T4 NM's even miss you once at all? That's a lot of DR right there by itself if flash is 2-3 attacks.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-05 01:00:45  
Also, parses of your damage intake with and without Cocoon.

(spoilers: that's not how defense works)
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-05 01:02:48  
Please show me a vid of a MNK or a DD job tanking all T4 VW mobs with the same support/PT set up as a PLD. I'm actually really curious and not trolling or anything.

Trolling or not, your attention span leaves something to be desired. I don't have the support available to engage anything like that.
[+]
 Ramuh.Laffter
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2011-09-05 01:04:21  
A MNK/BLU (lol) would probably benefit from Cocoon too! :3