フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Pld subjob in voidwatch
Pld subjob in voidwatch
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Phoenix.Gustavve
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Gustavve
By Phoenix.Gustavve 2011-09-01 09:16:42  
What exactly is 61 enhancing skill going to do if your at 300?

With This set your looking at around 3 seconds difference with haste spell. Take off nuevo and jeweled collar and it's around 10 seconds.

Edit:My Sch is not even unlocked. As easy as it is to lvl jobs these days I've just been lazy (and spending all my time on souls).
 Leviathan.Dodu
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-01 10:19:24  
Phalanx is uncapped, and I can count the number of people who wasted their ACP augment on a PLD FC body and own a worthwhile FC Jeweled Collar on.. Scratch that, I've never met one.

That said, I can't stress enough how little any subjob has to offer. Boosts that seem almost inconsequential are likely to be dramatically more significant than the ones more commonplace subjobs offer.
 Sylph.Gobbo
サーバ: Sylph
user: Gobbo
By Sylph.Gobbo 2011-09-01 10:48:29  
I totally agree with the low manning sentiments. Had a lot of fun learning the strats while low manning when they first came out.
By Mahoro577 2011-09-01 11:56:46  
Leviathan.Dodu said: »
Sylph.Kimble said: »
Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
I can understand the logic behind it, particularly in lowman groups. A PLD's MP may be under-utilized and /SCH helps put it to greater use. It also offers the ability to self -na, which speeds up curing and increases safety margin (hi2u Hahava curse etc). Large groups wouldn't get a whole lot out of it unless your healers suck but then large groups tend to more or less throw versatility out the window anyway.

Why would it be bad to take a large group to VW though?

Certainly not bad, but my linkshell isn't very big, and most of its members aren't particularly interested in VW right now. Utilizing odd tools is a lot of what's allowed us to 4-man every VW mob other than Voidwrought. You'd be surprised how many procs our setup is capable of, as well.

Its also not a snoozefest like a group of 18 is :3

Out of curiosity, what is your setup to 4-man Belphoebe, Melancholic Moira, Hahava and Celaeno? PLD WHM SMN BLM?
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-01 12:04:28  
PLD, WHM(mule), SMN, THF(/BLM[mule])

Four players, only three actively being played, two people total
By Mahoro577 2011-09-01 12:11:24  
PLD, WHM(mule), SMN, THF(/BLM[mule])

Four players, only three actively being played, two people total

Cool. No MP issues or issues causing enough dmg in 30 mins?
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-01 13:50:40  
Nope, but both the PLD and SMN are virtually perfect. He lacks Lv.90 Almace(lol), and I lack Nirvana(lol).
 Odin.Creaucent
サーバ: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2011-09-04 19:11:27  
I tend to prefer going /war to most stuff just because of DA and Fencer which gives a nice boost to CDC damage voke is a nice added bonus. Some NMs like Bri i go /dnc for the stuns and stop nearly all of the damage. Even with Seigneur shield, since i havent finished Aegis yet, damage taken is pretty low for the most part.
 Odin.Sawtelle
サーバ: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2011-09-04 19:35:53  
w/ an Ochain, I find /war is hands down the best sub. DA/fencer/berserk/aggressor all increase dmg thus increase ability to hold hate. Voke is nice if it runs off after a ranger or blm.
 Ragnarok.Returner
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nameless
By Ragnarok.Returner 2011-09-04 22:48:24  
For VW, what would your melee gears be without ochain when /war? Would you still go with full haste or would you gear toward shield skill and damage taken -?

Thanks.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-04 23:13:17  
To be perfectly honest, without an Ochain or Aegis, the point of being PLD at all escapes me for the most part. Most of what kills people are instances of being one-shotted, and a PLD isn't really any better at that than any other melee. In short, if your PLD isn't *** spectacular, I'd leave it to a MNK or something(without CS for things that JA-attack, obviously).
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-04 23:15:45  
Odin.Sawtelle said: »
w/ an Ochain, I find /war is hands down the best sub. DA/fencer/berserk/aggressor all increase dmg thus increase ability to hold hate. Voke is nice if it runs off after a ranger or blm.

Unless you're extremely low-man, PLD's damage should be nigh irrelevant, and /WAR is absolutely not ideal for straight enmity maintenance.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Kiaru
user: Shiyo
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-09-04 23:18:35  
Is it actually possible to die after that WS goes off without downy mages?
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-04 23:21:21  
Bismarck.Josiahkf said: »
To be perfectly honest, without an Ochain or Aegis, the point of being PLD at all escapes me for the most part. Most of what kills people are instances of being one-shotted, and a PLD isn't really any better at that than any other melee. In short, if your PLD isn't *** spectacular, I'd leave it to a MNK or something(without CS for things that JA-attack, obviously).
Would a paladin with ochain block the hp down effect of arm cannon though? Making them harder to one shot?

Notice I said Ochain was one of the exceptions(personal exceptions, anyway), but no, it doesn't block virtually anything that would be useful. I want to say that it dramatically reduces the physical 'big' TP move from Hahava, but as far as the bird and the giant go, its all on your mages. Fairly certain it doesn't block the 'weakness' status for Havaha either, come to think, which when followed by a Firaja is really the only thing that can kill an Ochain.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-04 23:22:21  
Sylph.Kiaru said: »
Is it actually possible to die after that WS goes off without downy mages?

***happens. ***happens less with people with more HP, hence skip PLD if the one in question isn't a beast.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-09-04 23:29:46  
I wouldn't bother discussing VW with people that dont have any or little experience with it.

But yes. It happens.
 Lakshmi.Rearden
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Churchill
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2011-09-04 23:34:53  
Ochain doesn't block Arm Cannon or any TP HP/MP down moves that I've seen on the test server either. Really, all that can kill you is slow mages, encumberance and magic
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-09-04 23:36:57  
Would a paladin with ochain block the hp down effect of arm cannon though? Making them harder to one shot?
Generally Ochain blocks any additional effect tied to a TP move. Iirc, this includes iron giant's added effects such as enstun on melee strikes because they are considered tp moves. There might be some special exceptions though, I've not actually done that fight yet so I can't confirm.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-09-04 23:38:31  
Lakshmi.Rearden said: »
Ochain doesn't block Arm Cannon or any TP HP/MP down moves that I've seen on the test server either. Really, all that can kill you is slow mages, encumberance and magic
Thanks for the confirmation. I guess that's because it's a magical tp move?
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-09-04 23:47:08  
I have done all the VW NMs thus far and I can honestly say it was a lot easier to tank them on PLD than my MNK or my SAM. My PLD isn't exactly a beast either, its decently geared but no Ochain or Aegis. MNK will be sponging a lot more MP than a PLD. PLD has sentinel, fealty, flash, rampart, shield skill all which aid in lessening MP spending and increase durability against any 1 shot moves or the occasional ws > triple attack. Extra cures, more procs than a MNK or sam, decent HP (~400 less than a MNK?) and access to more MDB gear (as far as I know).
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-05 00:11:54  
MP conservation is a non-issue if you have people there to proc, which is a fairly large portion of the premise of this discussion. JA-buffs that depend on being active over a period of time are less than helpful for anything difficult, as most things dispel with fair regularity. If a run of the mill PLD survives a series of unfortunately timed attacks that a MNK wouldn't have, its purely luck(~1,400 HP on a Hume PLD vs. ~2,000 HP on a Taru MNK). Also something about inhibit TP.

And an edge in MDB gear is a hard argument to make with all of the over-curing that almost always goes on. At the end of the day, having 50% more HP matters more than mitigating 100 more damage off of an attack when a cure that would have healed 1,200 is probably only going to cover 900.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-05 00:17:32  
Nothing that kills people in VW is going to be evaded. ***'s easy until you get hit by TP move/spell combinations.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-09-05 00:18:59  
You are assuming this w/o counterstance? I've taken 400 dmg to the face, three times in a triple attack and died, a counterstanced MNK would take more. I don't see a MNK living through stuff like that, especially with counterstance up. While a PLD has shield skill to rely on. You also aren't taking into account the fact that a few of these NMs do hate reset. Inhibit TP doesn't prevent spells or melee swings. I don't know what you are suggesting. The run of the mill average group is way better off with a PLD tank than a MNK, I don't know how that part confuses you.
 Sylph.Kiaru
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-09-05 00:21:38  
I haven't tanked anything in VW, but I honestly don't see any job besides paladin surviving AT ALL. I've pulled hate on my RDM a few times, and the mobs hit me for 450+ with 48% PDT......

Yeah, I seriously don't see a monk with 0 defense tanking that, even fulltiming 50% PDT gear. They hit hard, they hit fast, they have insanely scary TP moves. Whenever a melee in full DD gear tries to DPS them, 1 AOE knocks them from 1600ish life to 200-400 :/
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-05 00:27:31  
Hate resets should be stunned. And you're confusing 'run of the mill' with your average waterhead in Port Jeuno. The latter won't be completing higher tier VW with or without the aforementioned jobs. If someone is competent enough to stay alive as PLD without riding Sentinel and Fealty, they can stay alive as MNK.

Unblocked attacks to a PLD are going to be hardly dissimilar to a standard hit to a MNK without CS up. The difference in defense just isn't as critical as its made out to be. And to reiterate for the tenth time, if something other than TP moves(or the effects of TP moves) is killing you, its on your mages. ***isn't dangerous.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-09-05 00:27:33  
See I have like 1700 hp on thf nevermind pld, 1400? > < but yeah it does make sense.

Part of me just wants to go nuts with best evasion gear + eva daggers and see if VW can be handled like that. Just a dream for 90 cap most likely

even without GH thf can solo the giants in abyssea with potion temps so I'm all blind and optimistic lol

There is no way in hell you would hold any kind of hate lol, mages would probably steal it off you.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-05 00:28:09  
Sylph.Kiaru said: »
I haven't tanked anything in VW, but I honestly don't see any job besides paladin surviving AT ALL. I've pulled hate on my RDM a few times, and the mobs hit me for 450+ with 48% PDT......

RDM in 48% PDT takes less damage than an unblocked PLD, always.
 Sylph.Kiaru
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-09-05 00:32:37  
People really put down defense, but it actually adds a very high amount of damage reduction. It's only not that great when adding MORE defense to a job like paladin, which already gets a lot of defense via traits and gear. A paladin eating tacos is going to take an incredibly noticable amount of damage lower than a 0 defense counterstanced MNK.