Forum Moderator
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-05 21:22:56  
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
They are just ads
A malicious one can get through occasionally: (Pic removed due to size.)

Nah, it's K. If I get a virus, I'll track down whoever made it and savagely ***-raep them till they fix my PC. Thing is, I'd prolly do that..
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-05 21:25:39  
Siren.Clinpachi said:
For me i download my music because i simply cannot afford to buy the albums. Once upon a time when i was a teenager with nothing better to spend my money on i actually had a nice collection going for awhile. But when i started a job and suddenly had to fend for myself, i found that paying for music vs rent became an issue. I'm sure people will troll/flame and say "then wait until you CAN afford it" or whatever excuse they wish to make up. But as many people have stated most profits/big turn outs artists make is from concerts, bookings, and merchandise. Once i get rolling with the navy in September and actually can get along well in life again I am sure i will start to actually buy music again.

Siren.Clinpachi
サーバ: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-05-05 21:26:14  
lol if only i hadn't seen/heard that 1000x's by now XD
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-05-05 21:26:38  
I would pay a dollar for a 320kbps version of what what in the butt though
 Phoenix.Jile
user: JileFFXI
By Phoenix.Jile 2010-05-05 21:33:29  
One thing too that needs to be realized is downloading isn't illegal in all places of the world.

In Russia, if they pay a fee (roughly 10 cents) per song the downloader is in compliance with their laws. But when the average citizen makes less than 2kUSD/yr its hard to declare they need to pay $20/disk either lol.

In Canada, you can download music freely, period. They're even allowed to rip/backup their own dvd collection legally. Gotta love Canada. Their taxes on cd's and dvd's go to the music and movie industries for any "potential" loss and impact to the industries.

The USA, it used to be legal to copy and share music as long as you were not getting paid for the copy you gave to someone (see the 1978 recording act). It was also legal to record and freely share movies with friends as long as no money was changing hands (see the Betamax Doctrine). But with the advent of the DMCA and US Patriot act, your literally a "international terrorist" if you break dvd encryption to backup your movies.

All that said. When a musician like Madonna gets upset because people share her music (when she has roughly 325mil net worth) is laughable. Yes, the independent tiny musician needs the sales and if they don't suck they should get your support but I do enjoy these kind of threads for how excited people get on the subject.

There are too many issues involved for anyone to say everyone "must" pay for their downloads or they're just breaking the law or some code of ethics when laws are different for everyone - its overly presumptuous to presume to tell anyone they are wrong for downloading until you know all the facts about their individual situations.

I fit in a grey area. I simply don't buy or download mainstream music. If an artist wants me to hear their music, they make their works freely available to download such as mp3.com or watching old movies on archive.org or even better hulu.com and fancast.com...

This is quite an old argument. It never ends without a lot of blood splattering but its always fun to read.

<take care>
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-05 21:44:30  
@night: I said nothing about legality. Obviously copyright infringment is against the law (though there are ways around it which are rather interesting).

However if you re-read the definitions of steal nothing was actually stolen.

It's this sense of being completely owning anythign you go and get copyrighted that leads to rediculous suits like the one where Mcdonalds sued a guy named Ronald Mcdonald for opening a family resturaunt using his real name.

Or paris Hilton trying to legally make "that's hot" her trademark. Actually I think she did. Oh no I can't use that phrase. /fail
 Kujata.Akeda
サーバ: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-05-05 21:47:15  
If an artist wants me to buy their music, they should actually make the lyrics longer then 2 sentences repeated over and over for 4 minutes.

I think I have an actual FFXI music CD somewhere though.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-05 22:05:37  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Out of curiosity, is it just music, or is mostly a personality thing / mindset?

Like, if you're okay with downloading music and not paying for it, do you also download movies? Games? Etc?

Do you block ads on FFXIAH?

Is there anyone who pays for most things but only makes an exception for music? Is it basically a "everything non-tangible on the internet should be free and *&#$ whoever says otherwise?"
I think it is the whole information age. People have always shared info. Now you can just share rediculous amounts alot faster and more conviently and said information does alot more.

As far as movies and games. Movies yes. Though sometiems I still buy them. The menus and extras are sometimes worth it and trying to find a download with that can be annoying. Also usually better quality etc.

Games not generally. Though I do have a SNES emulator alot of the games I play on it I have previously or currently owned or played on the snes. More of a personal choice but I like playing console games on a console bettter with the exception of being able to save whenever I want and speed up or slow down game play ALOT

Meh I use IE. And even if I ran something with add block I wouldn't bother. It litterally cost me nothing to have your adds on this page but it gains you money to keep running this page. Pluse some of them are rather humorous. Now if like everytime an add popped up on my screen my account was charged money that might be a different story.

Pretty much yes. Obviously secret copyright knowledge is one thing. It was never meant to be out there for anyone to see. So one could argue the actual coding of the videogames/programs etc at that point. Since the persons intent is for you to see the end product and not have acess to the work they put into it.

But say music/books/movies aren't really like that.

Though tbh I prefer reading from a book 100% of the time. I might download chapters or something to see how it is... but chances are I will either just buy or go to the book store and read a little or sometimes all lol for free to try it out.

Music well kinda depends you want to know whats good but buying a whole CD over and over again cost alot. Finding free versions to listen to of entire CDs to listen to a few times to then decide which songs you want to buy takes a while.

Movies... well part of the appeal I think is getting them before they come out and/or easier formatting for transferring and stuff.

Either way times change and people change with them and like 20-100 years later the laws finally do so too. Well not counting the immediate backlash laws
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2010-05-05 22:08:36  
[+]
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-05-05 22:13:12  
Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn said:

Piracy as its used in modern day society.

But lets put a little more focus on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy

The first paragraph quoted for your pleasure:

"Piracy is a war-like act committed by private parties (not affiliated with any government) that engage in acts of robbery and/or criminal violence at sea. The term can include acts committed in other major bodies of water or on a shore. It does not normally include crimes committed against persons travelling on the same vessel as the perpetrator (e.g. one passenger stealing from others on the same vessel). The term has been used to refer to raids across land borders by non-state agents. Piracy should be distinguished from privateering, which was a legitimate form of war-like activity by non-state actors, authorized by their national authorities, until this form of commerce raiding was outlawed in the 19th century."

So next time we use a funny picture to deliver a message in a thread. Lets make sure we arn't incorrect ^^.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-05-05 22:26:40  
Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn said:

"Piracy is a war-like act committed by private parties (not affiliated with any government) that engage in acts of robbery and/or criminal violence at sea. The term can include acts committed in other major bodies of water or on a shore. It does not normally include crimes committed against persons travelling on the same vessel as the perpetrator (e.g. one passenger stealing from others on the same vessel). The term has been used to refer to raids across land borders by non-state agents. Piracy should be distinguished from privateering, which was a legitimate form of war-like activity by non-state actors, authorized by their national authorities, until this form of commerce raiding was outlawed in the 19th century."

So next time we use a funny picture to deliver a message in a thread. Lets make sure we arn't incorrect ^^.
[+]
 Leviathan.Duvessa
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Veronika
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-05 22:31:58  
Bahamut.Kaioshin said:

Ship:

Ship:

Some words have multiple meanings. Next time we try to prove someone else wrong, lets be correct ourselves. Otherwise you might get stoned.

stoned:

Stoned:

Cerberus.Katarzyna
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-05-05 22:37:39  
Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn said:
a picture

Some wiki link

The dictionary would like to have a word with you.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Veronika
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-05 22:40:29  
Even wikipedia explains why it's called piracy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement

Here's an excerpt:
"An early reference to piracy in the context of copyright infringement was made by Daniel Defoe in 1703 when he said of his novel The True-Born Englishman that "Its being Printed again and again, by Pyrates"[2]. The practice of labeling the act of infringement as "piracy" predates statutory copyright law."
 Bahamut.Drevin
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Drevin 2010-05-05 22:45:00  
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
I buy Tupac albums because the dead guy really needs his money!

Tupac ain't dead, gawd! :p
 Carbuncle.Rinomaru
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Rinomaru 2010-05-05 23:06:02  
I've noticed all the torrent sites don't allow downloading music anymore, you have to pay.

Did the internet finally put the banstick down on torrent?
 Kujata.Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-05-05 23:08:06  
Why even bother with torrents when you can just rip them off YouTube, lala or Rhapsody
 Carbuncle.Rinomaru
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Rinomaru 2010-05-05 23:15:01  
This new found technology......
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-05 23:18:26  
Carbuncle.Rinomaru said:
I've noticed all the torrent sites don't allow downloading music anymore, you have to pay.

Did the internet finally put the banstick down on torrent?
Don't think it was all. Just to test it I just downloaded something from one and it worked fine
 Kujata.Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-05-05 23:18:32  
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-05 23:20:34  
Kujata.Akeda said:
Why even bother with torrents when you can just rip them off YouTube, lala or Rhapsody
Huh?
 Caitsith.Blurr
サーバ: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-05-05 23:25:34  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Kujata.Akeda said:
Huh?

talking about recording/saving streaming music/video on your hdd i think.. and id argue the extreme quality difference personally

edit: ripped cd / dvd quality vs. streaming quality difference that is.
 Kujata.Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-05-05 23:29:27  
I don't jerk off to encoding and bit rates so it doesn't bother me.